Options

What three albums should I get?

124»

Posts

  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wolf Parade--Apologies to the Queen Mary
    Arcade Fire--Funeral
    Neil Young--Zuma

    jackisreal on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

    Moon & Antartica - Modest Mouse

    We Brave Bee Stings and All - Thao and the get down stay down

    (everyone should buy that last album. right now. it's just about the best thing ever)

    Jives on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    Silent Shout isn't quite as good as Deep Cuts
    Really? Deep Cuts is a pretty straightforward house album, with some good songs but nothing particularly innovative. Silent Shout is holy shit awesome and weird and creepy and really not like anything else these days.

    Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Lazy Susan - Never Better
    Powderfinger - Double Allergic
    Something for Kate - Echolalia

    also, Paul Simon - Graceland

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Beck-Anything he has made

    Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    The Knife - Silent Shout Deluxe Edition. Silent Shout isn't quite as good as Deep Cuts (it's still amazing) but the deluxe edition comes with a DVD documenting their one and only tour, with plenty of live stuff; the live version of Heartbeats is worth the price of admission just by itself. Also has a short film and their music videos.

    I picked this up myself, and even as a fan of electronica music, I would be hesitant to recommend this to anyone. It's just so different from the norm, you'd have to really know someone to know if they'd like it or not.

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Weezer - Pinkerton
    Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's The Cool

    Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Makershot wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Silent Shout isn't quite as good as Deep Cuts
    Really? Deep Cuts is a pretty straightforward house album, with some good songs but nothing particularly innovative. Silent Shout is holy shit awesome and weird and creepy and really not like anything else these days.

    I don't listen to House, and maybe it's just because I listened to Deep Cuts first, but overall I just like it better. Heartbeats, Got 2 Let U, Rock Classics, You Make Me Like Charity, Listen Now, they're all amazing songs, to me, and I'd recommend them to anyone who's willing to appreciate good music. Silent Shout is steadily growing on me, though. I love it right now, but I can see that I'll grow to really love it in the future.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    The Knife - Silent Shout Deluxe Edition. Silent Shout isn't quite as good as Deep Cuts (it's still amazing) but the deluxe edition comes with a DVD documenting their one and only tour, with plenty of live stuff; the live version of Heartbeats is worth the price of admission just by itself. Also has a short film and their music videos.

    I picked this up myself, and even as a fan of electronica music, I would be hesitant to recommend this to anyone. It's just so different from the norm, you'd have to really know someone to know if they'd like it or not.

    I'm actually not a fan of electronic music and loved it all the more for that. I do think you'd have to know someone well enough to recommend it, but the OP seems fairly open minded and I think The Knife is worth the effort.

    The point is: Listen to The Knife.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jives wrote: »
    Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

    Moon & Antartica - Modest Mouse

    We Brave Bee Stings and All - Thao and the get down stay down

    (everyone should buy that last album. right now. it's just about the best thing ever)
    Top albums, all of them.. and you're right about the last, I love the song Bag of Hammers.
    Makershot wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Silent Shout isn't quite as good as Deep Cuts
    Really? Deep Cuts is a pretty straightforward house album, with some good songs but nothing particularly innovative. Silent Shout is holy shit awesome and weird and creepy and really not like anything else these days.
    I too prefer The Knife's music which is not the standard electronic type music.

    squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    But you guys would agree that if you're just buying three albums right now, Alive 2007 should be on that list.

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tool's Lateralus above all others.

    Picking two others from the great multitude would be impossible.

    OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Modest Mouse's "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"

    I think that's really their weakest studio album (although I haven't heard the first one, Long Drive.

    It's the least consistent, and I've never been able to get into it. Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica are both incredible albums, though, and We Were Dead is pretty neat too.

    Meh. It is all really good.

    I think good news is really cohesive. Fits in with their style of ... themed albums. Iunno, I thought it had good flow.

    JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dream Theater - Images & Words
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

    ;-) All 3 are AAA, 5 star, 100% albums.

    TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    humble wrote: »
    Pheezer wrote: »
    humble wrote: »
    Tokyo Police Club- A Lesson In Crime

    This was an EP. The album was called Elephant Shell and is complete and utter shit.

    I know it's an EP

    it has 7 quality songs though which is more then most other albums

    It has 7 quality songs pretty much none of which are over 3 minutes long so while I agree that it's pretty good, it's not an album at all.

    An EP is an album. The only thing it's not is an LP. But yeah, it's all of 14 minutes long or so.

    Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Dream Theater - Images & Words
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

    ;-) All 3 are AAA, 5 star, 100% albums.

    While I love these albums, I think Still Life and In Absentia are the best albums from Opeth and Porcupine Tree, respectively.

    Though you certainly can't go wrong with the ones you suggested either. ;-)

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Modest Mouse's "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"

    I think that's really their weakest studio album (although I haven't heard the first one, Long Drive.

    It's the least consistent, and I've never been able to get into it. Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica are both incredible albums, though, and We Were Dead is pretty neat too.

    Meh. It is all really good.

    I think good news is really cohesive. Fits in with their style of ... themed albums. Iunno, I thought it had good flow.

    I don't really think they have any bad albums. Modest Mouse is fairly consistent in being awesome. Also I kind of want to amend my list to include the Colin Meloy solo CD. GLORIOUS. And the little bits where he talks to the audience are hilarious.

    Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Litany wrote: »

    Oh fuck yes! About as good as death metal gets.

    Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alice in Chains - Dirt


    Yeaaaaaah.

    W2 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Modest Mouse's "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"

    I think that's really their weakest studio album (although I haven't heard the first one, Long Drive.

    It's the least consistent, and I've never been able to get into it. Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica are both incredible albums, though, and We Were Dead is pretty neat too.

    Meh. It is all really good.

    I think good news is really cohesive. Fits in with their style of ... themed albums. Iunno, I thought it had good flow.
    TLCW = BNOOS > TIALDFSWNTTA > TMAA > TFTAI > WWDBTSES > EAHNPT > GNFPWLBN
    The Lonesome Crowded West = Building Nothing Out of Something > This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About > The Moon and Antarctica > The Fruit that Ate Itself > We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank > Everywhere and His Nasty Parlor Tricks > Good News For People Who Love Bad News

    Interstate 8 doesn't really fit in, seeing as its out-of-print, and only sought after for the as-of-yet unrereleased "Edit the Sad Parts." Baron Von Bullshit Rides Again is a live album, and doesn't fit either. Sad Sappy Sucker will probably be unlistenable until you become a dedicated fan.

    Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know what? Yeah. Anything by Porcupine Tree post-Stupid Dream would be a strong contender for one of my top-3. I'd go with In Absentia.

    OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
Sign In or Register to comment.