As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I think we're Alone (In The Dark) now. With added NSF56k!

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Wii opinions!
    I got it on Saturday and haven't played it since. I was bitterly disappointed with it. It's riddled with bugs, the graphics are awful (really murky, foggy & blurry). I got stuck so many times cuz there is just no clue as to how to progress & the game doesn't even explain the controls in-game which is really poor.

Cant believe how much they cut out for the wii version compared to the 360. Im sure the wii can handle more. Graphics wise it looks like something you would get on PS1

Sounds like exaggeration.

I can't comment on graphics other than gameplay videos I've seen, so on that regard I think it looks fine. It should also be mentioned that the game's setting is supposed to be murky and foggy and dark in many portions of the game. It's called Alone in the Dark, after all. An early section of the game takes place at night, in a park, with fog. That's intentional, and in every version of the game. Often, puzzles (in all versions) require you to light something on fire so that you can see through the darkness, the murkiness. You even have a flashlight. Not all of the game is dark and murky like this, but it's part of the survival horror nature of the game and its atmosphere.

But no explanation of the controls in-game? I'd bet dollars to donuts it explains all of the controls in the manual.

His only other complaint is leveled against the design which affects every version of the game (the 360, PS3, PS2, and Wii versions) - the "stuck so many times complaint."

I'm pretty sure his complaint about "cutting stuff out" is wrong, and that every version of the game has all of the same levels and content.

My interest in the Wii version is undeterred until we can get a more thoughtful and slightly more detailed impression/review of the game...

slash000 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Wii opinions!
    I got it on Saturday and haven't played it since. I was bitterly disappointed with it. It's riddled with bugs, the graphics are awful (really murky, foggy & blurry). I got stuck so many times cuz there is just no clue as to how to progress & the game doesn't even explain the controls in-game which is really poor.

Cant believe how much they cut out for the wii version compared to the 360. Im sure the wii can handle more. Graphics wise it looks like something you would get on PS1

But no explanation of the controls in-game? I'd bet dollars to donuts it explains all of the controls in the manual.

His only other complaint is leveled against the design which affects every version of the game (the 360, PS3, PS2, and Wii versions) - the "stuck so many times complaint."

The controls not explained in game is very much at odds with their 'tv-show' style approach. And if you get 'stuck so many times' in every version of a game, that's just bad design.

It should be noted that she's a massive horror/survival game fan, and was really looking forward to it and was shocked to hear my impressions of the 360 version being so disappointing.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Why even try to port to the Wii? What were they thinking?

Large (and growing) installed userbase and a number of people who prefer tacked on waggle controls over pretty graphics.

The industry is surely at a Golden Age.

Whatever, guys.

Sometimes great Wii controls can make a mediocre game fun, or a good game great. Even when it's ported. Just some cases in point: Godfather: Blackhand, Pro Evo 08, Resi4 Wii Edition, MLB Power Pros, Bully SE, MOHH2, DBZ BT 2 and 3, Super Swing Golf, among others. Mind you I'm only naming ports, and only some of the good ones at that; obviously games designed with Wii controls in mind can add a tremendous amount of fun and interactivity to the game not otherwise possible.

But just because a traditional game is ported to the Wii, that doesn't mean that the game will be worse off for it because of controls, and can in some cases actually be improved.

It's perfectly legit to wait and see how something turns out before condemning it. If it turns out like shit, then by all means, I shall enjoy taking a large crap on it that it deserves. But where a game like this looks like it could actually benefit from decently implemented controls, I'm going to wait and see before deciding that it's "just" a port with "tacked-on waggle." That's just as ignorant, in my book, as condemning a game without qualification on the 360/PS3 because "it's just the same crap we got bored playing last gen but with too much light bloom and plasticy-looking bump maps." Both ignorant statements, both short sighted and closed-minded; just opposite ends of the spectrum.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The controls not explained in game is very much at odds with their 'tv-show' style approach. And if you get 'stuck so many times' in every version of a game, that's just bad design.

It should be noted that she's a massive horror/survival game fan, and was really looking forward to it and was shocked to hear my impressions of the 360 version being so disappointing.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a great game, I'm just saying that her commentary just doesn't seem fully justified for certain things, at least not without more explanation. Also, I've talked to at least a few forumers, for many different consoles and games (metal gear comes to mind), that they "can't figure something out" when it was plain and simply explained in the manual. I guess you could say I don't have much sympathy for people that screw things up because they didn't take 15 seconds to flip through a few pages.

Her complaints about getting stuck, without some qualification, don't mean much. Want to know how many times many, many people "got stuck" in every iteration of the Resident Evil series? the silent hill, fatal frame games?

I'm not defending this game, and I can definitely see how it's a buggy game with some possible poor design choices.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, did the Wii control element improve the gameplay experience of Pro Evo?
    I'm intrigued by what you are selling!

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll be picking it up today, regardless of what is posted.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Wait, did the Wii control element improve the gameplay experience of Pro Evo?
    I'm intrigued by what you are selling!

I'm not selling anything, but many, many reviewers and forumers and Pro Evo fans that have played Pro Evo 08 Wii and have really got into the game, have said that the controls really add a lot to the game and enable you to do things quickly and on the fly, intuitively, and accurately, with the Wii control scheme that you cannot do on the other iterations of the game.

My only reason for bringing it up is because for some people, well-implemented controls can really change things for the better; even when the game is ported. Many of those people are not graphics whores, and only ask for "decent" graphics and decent framerates. It's subjective, and many people will disagree with the notion as a whole that excellent controls/interface and lesser graphics can be as good or better than mediocre interface and better graphics on the otherwise same game. Many people have varying opinions on what is 'acceptable' graphically. But it doesn't mean that one side is unequivocally better.

I just wanted to say that decent graphics and excellent controls, even for a port, can be really worthwhile, and is really not necessarily a step back or a step down from the 360/PS3 or whatever version, of whatever game.

It depends on how well it was brought over and how well it was implemented. It can be for the better or it can be for the worse.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also, I've talked to at least a few forumers, for many different consoles and games (metal gear comes to mind), that they "can't figure something out" when it was plain and simply explained in the manual. I guess you could say I don't have much sympathy for people that screw things up because they didn't take 15 seconds to flip through a few pages.

I agree. I'm one of the few people who realised that Gears of War had a story.

But through all the media for this it's been stated that they want the Wii version to be easy to pick up and play. She's not saying that there is no explanation - just that the lack of it in-game is poor.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'd like to point out that RE4 worked better on the Wii than any other console out there. If it were on the 360, I don't think it would have been any better because of the graphics.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Also, I've talked to at least a few forumers, for many different consoles and games (metal gear comes to mind), that they "can't figure something out" when it was plain and simply explained in the manual. I guess you could say I don't have much sympathy for people that screw things up because they didn't take 15 seconds to flip through a few pages.

But through all the media for this it's been stated that they want the Wii version to be easy to pick up and play. She's not saying that there is no explanation - just that the lack of it in-game is poor.

What the media says about something and what it is actually meant to be don't always coincide.

The media always gets things wrong about a lot of games, and often a lot of genres entirely.

I will agree so far as that it would be nice if every game explained itself from within the game. But I don't think it's necessary if it is explained in the manual.

I guess in-game explanations of controls might be something people would want, but I rarely consider it a major deal-breaker when a 15 page manual with the answers ships with the game....

Basically, I'm not saying she's unjustified if it is her opinion that the game suffers for lack of in-game explanation. I'll just say that I've never really considered the issue a major problem and many of my favorite games ever completely lack controls explanations in-game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that RE4 worked better on the Wii than any other console out there. If it were on the 360, I don't think it would have been any better because of the graphics.

Double this.
    The problem with ports are when the "waggle" is poorly thought through.

Now, I am going to go back in time and UNBUY CoD :3
    :(

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really haven't noticed waggle being thrown into games as much as people keep saying. Honestly, what game had bad "waggle" tacked on (not calling you out wyrlss, as many people have said this lately). RE4 had great "waggle", Obscure's "waggle" was good as well.

Do you really have a problem with shaking the controller over hitting a button? I'm 240lbs, and seriously out of shape... And yet, I have no problem shaking the controller when necessary.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

What the media says about something and what it is actually meant to be don't always coincide.

The media always gets things wrong about a lot of games, and often a lot of genres entirely.

I will agree so far as that it would be nice if every game explained itself from within the game. But I don't think it's necessary if it is explained in the manual.

I guess in-game explanations of controls might be something people would want, but I rarely consider it a major deal-breaker when a 15 page manual with the answers ships with the game....

Basically, I'm not saying she's unjustified if it is her opinion that the game suffers for lack of in-game explanation. I'll just say that I've never really considered the issue a major problem and many of my favorite games ever completely lack controls explanations in-game.

I don't mean 'what the journalists say'. I mean 'how the game was advertised'.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I really haven't noticed waggle being thrown into games as much as people keep saying. Honestly, what game had bad "waggle" tacked on (not calling you out wyrlss, as many people have said this lately). RE4 had great "waggle", Obscure's "waggle" was good as well.

Do you really have a problem with shaking the controller over hitting a button? I'm 240lbs, and seriously out of shape... And yet, I have no problem shaking the controller when necessary.

There are plenty of games that have tacked on waggle and don't benefit from it.

But it's extreme logical fallacy to say that just because some games in the past have been weak ports with tacked-on waggle that any forthcoming game, even ported, is going to suffer and have 'tacked-on waggle,' especially in the face of the fact that there have been quite a few good games that have greatly benefitted from well-executed Wii controls.

I'll totally agree with anyone that says, say, "Splinter Cell Double Agent on the Wii is a shoddy port with tacked on waggle; it's just not worth it." Yes. Exactly. But I will not agree that "Game Z that is coming out for Wii that is largely the same as the 360/PS3 version is going to be crap because the waggle will be tacked-on." That's just as bad, in my book, as people saying that "Game X coming out for PS3/360 is just the same crap we got bored of last-gen except with excessive light bloom and plasticy-looking bump maps."

Sometimes a game comes out multiplatform. Sometimes the Wii controls are no good, sometimes they don't help but don't hurt, and sometimes they help a lot to improve the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I tore a tendon in my wrist a month ago helping a friend move a washer and dryer. Needless to say, that has put a major crimp into my Wii playing. Except for being able to use the Wavebird for Samuari Shodown, I haven't played much because it hurts like a fucker to twist and shake the wiimote, even with my wrist locked in a stationary position with a brace.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well that makes sense Gyral. Sorry to hear that. :(

I guess I've been lucky and haven't played any bad "waggle" ports. I must be innately good at avoiding them.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't mean 'what the journalists say'. I mean 'how the game was advertised'.

If that's the case, then I guess I haven't seen enough ads or whatever to agree or disagree.

I will say that "pick up and play" doesn't necessarily mean that something is intuitive, and something intuitive doesn't necessarily mean that it is "pick up and play."

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Son of a bitch. I just called my Best Buy and they said it's not coming out till tomorrow. I hate that fucking place... But they have a $10 Gift Card with the purchase of it.

Calling Gamestop...

And they've got it, but they don't have FFT:A2. Man, I'm not getting lucky on this!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Picked it up. I'll post impressions at about 6:30pm EST. The game came with the soundtrack, which is really cool. I hope the music's actually good. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I picked up the 360 version today at Gamestop, and it too came with the soundtrack. Is that an exclusive thing there maybe? Or do all copies come with it?

Urahonky, as a fellow Obscure fan, I'm looking forward to your comments on the Wii version. If it's good, I might have to pick it up...and then I'll be totally broke.

I will post some 360 impressions later, maybe not till tomorrow.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

This lack of in-game control explanation could be justified by their 'TV show' approach. A lot of games don't want to pull you out of the game's atmosphere by telling you "Ok, now hit the X button to jump, and hold SQUARE to do a barrel roll." Instead, they assume you can read and that you have read the game manual prior to booting it up. Same can be said for the PC versions. Why do you think that after installation, the first thing it has on the final install screen is a check-box to view the readme file?

I don't see this as an omission due to poor design, I see it as the developer not wanting to make it feel like a tutorial and instead keep the TV show atmosphere.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    I picked up the 360 version today at Gamestop, and it too came with the soundtrack. Is that an exclusive thing there maybe? Or do all copies come with it?

Urahonky, as a fellow Obscure fan, I'm looking forward to your comments on the Wii version. If it's good, I might have to pick it up...and then I'll be totally broke.

I will post some 360 impressions later, maybe not till tomorrow.

Don't waste your money brynstar.

I played this game for about an hour, and gotta say it's pretty fucking terrible. The controls are fine (except opening your inventory is the most ridiculous thing ever) overall. The First Person View has you control the view with the pointer, which isn't all bad... Except that you can't look too far up/down. Really annoying.

Here are my Good/Bad about the Wii version:

Good:

1. Music seems really good. You can definitely tell that the music was orchestrated.

Bad:

1. Holy shit the game is unforgiving. It runs on the checkpoint system. You are trying to climb up this burning building? Okay... BAM hit by a wall, start from the beginning. I had to redo this part about 12 times.

2. Graphics. I'm not a graphics whore, but these are pretty bad. I wouldn't say PSX bad, but early PS2 graphics.

3. Sound cracks. I noticed that every hour or so in Obscure that the sound would do this short crackling sound, then repeat whatever it was doing beforehand. It disappeared after a few seconds of repeating, but it was sorta annoying. It happens much more often on this game.

4. No direction. I swear I had to look around for about 20 minutes to find out where to move this table so I can climb up to a place.

Really guys... Don't buy it. I already put the game up on Goozex for 800 points, so I'm basically losing out $10, but it's worth it to get rid of this game.

I had high hopes, but low expectations... But this... I don't know. Maybe further on it gets better, but after an hour I was already cussing that I had to redo parts (and some scenes don't let you skip) because the game told me to hit A, but apparently I waited too long.

I just... Can't take it. I'm a fucking HUGE Alone in the Dark fan, but this was trash.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    This lack of in-game control explanation could be justified by their 'TV show' approach. A lot of games don't want to pull you out of the game's atmosphere by telling you "Ok, now hit the X button to jump, and hold SQUARE to do a barrel roll." Instead, they assume you can read and that you have read the game manual prior to booting it up. Same can be said for the PC versions. Why do you think that after installation, the first thing it has on the final install screen is a check-box to view the readme file?

I don't see this as an omission due to poor design, I see it as the developer not wanting to make it feel like a tutorial and instead keep the TV show atmosphere.

Oh it fucking tells you the buttons you hit on certain situations. It'll tell you the easy stuff "Hit A to pick up this chair", but it won't tell you what you're supposed to do to swing over to this ledge. It didn't even tell you how to drop down a ledge... I had to find out by mashing all the buttons then falling to a horrible death... Causing me to restart the level.

urahonky on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe the game comes with a lighter so you can set it on fire. :|

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for taking one for he tream, Urahonky.

Pity, though. I had some hopes for the Wii version.
    Oh, well. Roll on Fatal Frame 4.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wow, thanks very much Urahonky, that's very disappointing. I've played through the first episode of the 360 version, and found it enjoyable so far. It's taught me all the controls, and the couple of times I died it let me restart right in the spot where I screwed up. I haven't gotten to the supposedly horrible driving yet, so I'll post detailed impressions later on.

It's really too bad about the Wii version, I know the dev team that did it is kind of small, but their past stuff has been cool in spite of its flaws.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is the Wii version of the game basically the 360 but with Wii controls/graphics? I mean... Even the voice acting is terrible. I gave the game another shot, just in case... But man... It really fights with you to be fun/enjoyable.

The Wii version driving is terrible. Instead of using the analog stick you have to use the nunchuck/wii-remote as the steering wheel. Which isn't normally bad, but it took me 20 minutes to make it out of the parking garage.

Plus it looks really, really awkward when he's holding the flashlight. It points to where you're pointing at on the screen, but it just... Doesn't look right.

On the plus side I didn't really run into any bugs in my time playing. So maybe they ironed them out for the Wii version?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    B:L wrote: »

You didn't buy it yet, right? I'd suggest at least renting it first... If you can find it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is the Wii version of the game basically the 360 but with Wii controls/graphics? I mean... Even the voice acting is terrible. I gave the game another shot, just in case... But man... It really fights with you to be fun/enjoyable.

I think the Wii version is supposed to be an original take on the 360 version. Same basic plotline and characters, but assets and content built for the Wii and PS2 using the engine from the Obscure games.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well... See this is how the game went for me.

You start out beat up, and you can't hardly see. Then they go to "kill" you, but something happens. You are then on top of an elevator. Then the building is on fire, and you're racing to get out. Along the way you find a woman, and you go and try to escape with her. You come up to another guy who claims to know you. You find a car, and you drive out of the burning building. Then there's the car chase... Then all of a sudden you're in a park and you have to find a way to heal yourself.

Then there's the small bats that attack you (like Gears of War). Then out of nowhere the giant bats come out. After that something picks up your truck while you're driving and you have to shoot it...

There's a lot of then's in that paragraph, but that's about as far as I got. It just doesn't feel coherent at all. The thing I loved about Alone in the Dark was its steady pace... But this wasn't steady at all. Maybe it slows down later in the game, I don't know.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One big plus about the game is the chapters idea. It is pretty damn cool that you can change levels at any point so you can try something else out. But the basic problem is... Everything I tried just annoyed me to no end. There's so many better games that I could be playing instead of this, you know?

Like Stranglehold.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well the primary development focus was on the high end platforms, so I don't know what you expected from a Wii port. Reviews would have probably told you everything you're telling us, too. You could have saved yourself some green by waiting a day or so for them to start showing up.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Well the primary development focus was on the high end platforms, so I don't know what you expected from a Wii port. Reviews would have probably told you everything you're telling us, too. You could have saved yourself some green by waiting a day or so for them to start showing up.

I was going for something at least Obscure quality. That and I've been itching for another survival horror game for the Wii.

And really, I can't trust reviewers anymore. I loved Obscure and it got a 53/100 on metacritic. I expect this game to get lower than that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I was going for something at least Obscure quality. That and I've been itching for another survival horror game for the Wii.

And really, I can't trust reviewers anymore. I loved Obscure and it got a 53/100 on metacritic. I expect this game to get lower than that.

Wasn't Obscure primarily developed for the Playstation 2 and Wii platforms, though? Alone in the Dark for the Wii wasn't, and with all the negative press for the Xbox 360 version, I didn't imagine the Wii version would fair any better.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Wasn't Obscure primarily developed for the Playstation 2 and Wii platforms, though? Alone in the Dark for the Wii wasn't, and with all the negative press for the Xbox 360 version, I didn't imagine the Wii version would fair any better.

Heh. I guess you're right. But I wanted to believe!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Heh. I guess you're right. But I wanted to believe!

Well don't feel too bad. We all jump the shark sometimes. I recently bought Parkan 2 because I got all hyped up about it's features. It turns out it sucked royal shit and that was 30 bucks gone I'll never see again.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    B:L wrote: »

You didn't buy it yet, right? I'd suggest at least renting it first... If you can find it.

I haven't bought it yet. But the Wii version is the same price as the 360 version?

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Ouch. Yeah... Damn the sharks. At least I am shipping this game off to someone on Goozex (getting 800 points), and I'm shipping him the T-Shirt I got from Gamestop when I went in to pick it up. It was a Large anyway.

Maybe I'll get a 50pt tip :(

B:L -> it's $50, so $10 less than the 360 one.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ouch. Yeah... Damn the sharks. At least I am shipping this game off to someone on Goozex (getting 800 points), and I'm shipping him the T-Shirt I got from Gamestop when I went in to pick it up. It was a Large anyway.

Maybe I'll get a 50pt tip :(

B:L -> it's $50, so $10 less than the 360 one.

Bah, I'll likely still pick up my pre-order for the Wii version at GameCrazy for the Alone in the Dark zippo lighter, but I'll toss the game on eBay.

I really wanted this game to be good too. :|

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, probably the best route to go. Hopefully you get a buyer before the reviews start churning out.

urahonky on