As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think we're Alone (In The Dark) now. With added NSF56k!

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that RE4 worked better on the Wii than any other console out there. If it were on the 360, I don't think it would have been any better because of the graphics.

But achievements! Leaderboards on the Mercenary game!

RainbowDespair on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My opinion (Xbox 360 version):

This game is utter shit. It might've been okay back in the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time or Metal Gear Solid 2 days when grabbing ledges ad nauseum was Tres Cool but it's damn well fucking not anymore, at least not in this crappy piece of shit excuse for a game.

And dear God the controls are atrocious. You have the option of third-person and first-person and they managed to fuck both up. Third-person is useless but, unfortunately, mandatory for certain actions. And while first-person is functionally okay, it pops you out to third-person for no good reason sometimes. Which is shit. Because third-person "rotational" control is a vestige of the 90s. And this particular sloppy form of third-person control which seems to have you strafe half the time and turn the other half is a fucking disaster. It's like trying to control a fighter jet with an air conditioner remote control.

Also, does the game get, uhm, longer? I'm up to 2.4 and I haven't even played for an hour yet. Hell, I've hardly been paying attention and apparently I'm 1/4 through the fucking game already?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm so glad I didn't buy this. The preview videos made it look really nice, too.

Renzo on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is all disappointing to hear. That Eurogamer review made it sound like it might well redeem itself later on, or - like the Call of Cthulhu game - make up for the frustrating parts with great atmosphere or something.

I was a big fan of AitD back in the day, and I was keeping an eye on the 360 and/or PC version in hopes that this was one of those games where reviewers were off the mark somehow - for instance, I found Obscure in a bargain bin and thought it kicked all kinds of ass; just now picked up Obscure 2, also a worthy acquisition so far. I may still check this out, but probably just a rental if at all, from the sound of it :|

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited June 2008
    Well, I admit I'm only 1/4 in. And some parts of it are cool, I'll admit. I like some of the things they put into the game. But overall the game is a complete mess, and the cool bits are stuck in between all the shitty bits, like finding a Reuben melt at the bottom of a shit-filled toilet. It's not worth sticking your hand in, unless you're James Sunderland. And even then it's still probably not worth it.

Unless the control scheme magically rewrites itself later on and the laughable "tension" the designers keep trying to chuck at you somehow becomes, uh, scary...or tense...I'm pretty sure it's just total crap.

Basically it feels like a pale shadow of Condemned and a really lame attempt at a survival horror game. There's nothing scary about it. There's no tension. The game throws you through at a fastball's pace. The interface is the worst I've seen in, possibly, this millennium. And the controls are atrocious. I think the 30% review scores this is getting is rather generous. I mean, even if you like some of the potential this has...fuck that. Fuck potential. A game either delivers or it doesn't.

Drez on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So i took back the rental, i got to 7/8 of the missions. Anyone here hoping this game redeems itself later on, may be seriously disappointed. In my opinion at least, it only goes downhill. Hard to imagine i know...

I really want to like this game, I've tried, but Its time to walk away.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited June 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    So i took back the rental, i got to 7/8 of the missions. Anyone here hoping this game redeems itself later on, may be seriously disappointed. In my opinion at least, it only goes downhill. Hard to imagine i know...

I really want to like this game, I've tried, but Its time to walk away.

How long did that take? To get to 7/8? I mean, it took me less than an hour to get to 2.4.

Drez on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Well, I admit I'm only 1/4 in. And some parts of it are cool, I'll admit. I like some of the things they put into the game. But overall the game is a complete mess, and the cool bits are stuck in between all the shitty bits, like finding a Reuben melt at the bottom of a shit-filled toilet. It's not worth sticking your hand in, unless you're James Sunderland. And even then it's still probably not worth it.

Unless the control scheme magically rewrites itself later on and the laughable "tension" the designers keep trying to chuck at you somehow becomes, uh, scary...or tense...I'm pretty sure it's just total crap.

Basically it feels like a pale shadow of Condemned and a really lame attempt at a survival horror game. There's nothing scary about it. There's no tension. The game throws you through at a fastball's pace. The interface is the worst I've seen in, possibly, this millennium. And the controls are atrocious. I think the 30% review scores this is getting is rather generous. I mean, even if you like some of the potential this has...fuck that. Fuck potential. A game either delivers or it doesn't.

Well I thought Condemned sucked, so this game should be good then, right? ;-)

Soo...how much furniture moving to block monster entrances does this feature? :|

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    B:L wrote: »

Soo...how much furniture moving to block monster entrances does this feature? :|

None.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited June 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

None.

Instead, you move furniture so you can climb on top of it so you can reach a ledge.

No, I'm not joking.

Drez on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh man... I put in Culdcept Saga... And couldn't even beat the first level. I swear this game is coming back to haunt me.

Tomorrow it leaves my presence for good.

urahonky on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh, jeez. Well, thanks for giving us the low-down on the game, Honky. It was worth a shot, but it sounds like this game is just chunky no matter what you play it on.

slash000 on
    edited June 2008
    Glad I saved quite a few of you some money. My only regret is that I have... Bonitis.

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    I was going to rent this.. But now I don't think I'll even bother with that. :P

Oh well, on the bright side, that money I was going to spend I can use to buy Trauma Center UTK 2 and Guitar Hero: Aerosmith next week.

slash000 on
    edited June 2008
    Rent it only if they pay YOU to take it.

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    Just read the N-Europe review of the Wii version. They basically said that the game has horrible everything, particularly design choices. The only thing they liked were the controls, with the exception of how you access some things (poor design choices).

man, I'm really disappointed to hear all this. Oh well. Like I said. I love me some Guitar Hero. Next week.

slash000 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well... See this is how the game went for me.

You start out beat up, and you can't hardly see. Then they go to "kill" you, but something happens. You are then on top of an elevator. Then the building is on fire, and you're racing to get out. Along the way you find a woman, and you go and try to escape with her. You come up to another guy who claims to know you. You find a car, and you drive out of the burning building. Then there's the car chase... Then all of a sudden you're in a park and you have to find a way to heal yourself.

Then there's the small bats that attack you (like Gears of War). Then out of nowhere the giant bats come out. After that something picks up your truck while you're driving and you have to shoot it...

There's a lot of then's in that paragraph, but that's about as far as I got. It just doesn't feel coherent at all. The thing I loved about Alone in the Dark was its steady pace... But this wasn't steady at all. Maybe it slows down later in the game, I don't know.

That sounds like the basic plot of the 360 version, though it sounds a bit sped up. I played through the first episode on 360 and got up to finding the woman who then turned into a zombie, and I know the car chase is about to happen too.

I haven't had a chance to play any more of it yet, but it doesn't really feel like a survival horror game. It feels more like an engine tech demo than anything else. I still enjoyed it, and I haven't encountered any game-stopping bugs. The controls aren't bugging me at all, but then I played the original Alone in the Dark games, and also the New Nightmare. The controls here are miles above those.

Also, one scene was ripped straight out of Max Payne (minor minor spoiler)
    There's a children's room in the crumbling building with an animated lamp that plays the identical Rock a Bye Baby music that's prominent in the opening of Max Payne. It was a fantastic little homage. I dug it.

I think the game is kind of neat so far, but it's a shame that it still has some issues after all the delays and it's a shame that the Wii version turned out poorly.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I also agree that the game has some redeeming factors. Sure, I skipped the Godforsaken first driving sequence, but I've found some neat things I like about the game here and there. I am currently at 4.4 and am having some troubles with a part, if any of you would kindly help me out:
    I'm at the part right after you open the gate to the museum, and the ground creature pops up and attempts to drag me for a ride. I see that there's a box that I can hotwire, but everytime I try, I never have enough time to touch more than one wire before it pulls me under. Any suggestions?

Dourin on
    edited June 2008
    Oh dear lord.
    Free AitD zippo is lame. It's shiny and says Alone in the Dark on the front.. but when you lift the part up so you can put lighter fluid in it, there is just an engraving that says "this is not a zippo".. what the hell?

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is it not a lighter? Or are they just disassociating themselves from the brand?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So....Anyone know what Gamestop is giving for trade-in on this game?

Dourin on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So this is pretty much a mess and I should wait until the end of the summer when I can grab it out of a bargain bin for $20?

HadjiQuest on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, I'm all for picking up games on the cheap and all, but when someone like Urahonky (who appreciates horror games as much as I do) basically wants it gone from his home, I have to think twice about even spending $20.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Don't. Please don't... Normally I can deal with bad survival horror games... Just for a good scare... I just can't honestly recommend it for $20. I'm really lucky I am able to trade it up on Goozex for as much as it is. If you have spare points... Maybe in 3 - 5 months it will be down to 300 or so, then you could pick it up.

But for $20 you'd be wasting it. (unless you mean the 360 version)

urahonky on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So... Alan Wake, then.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    So... Alan Wake, then.

I still hold out hope for Dead Space and I'll be buying Silent Hill 5 no matter what (I'm that much of a SH fanboy). And, of course, Fatal Frame 4.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Has this poor series had a good entry since 1? I remember 3 being awful, and 2 being only so-so. I never played the last time they tried to reboot the series on the DC, but I don't remember it getting terribly favorable reviews either. I loved the first one. Multiple playable characters, spooky, even with its goofy, 3 polygon characters, and a fun cthluhu storyline. What happened... :( I think I'll still rent it, just to see for myself, but it really is a shame that it sounds like this didn't turn out terribly well. The tech demo stuff looked so nice.

Aoi on
    edited June 2008
    I have A New Nightmare and remember it being okay. Controlled like a mac truck and if I recall correctly, you had limited ammo but some enemies respawned, meaning you basically had to run from most combat. (Memory is a little rusty, so I may be wrong on that).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    So... Alan Wake, then.

I still hold out hope for Dead Space and I'll be buying Silent Hill 5 no matter what (I'm that much of a SH fanboy). And, of course, Fatal Frame 4.

Dead Space and Alan Wake are basically my two most anticipated titles for the year, and I'm not even sure one of them is coming out :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2008
    So... Alan Wake, then.

I was just coming to post...

By god if Alan Wake is not as great as it should be I will...I will...I will cry.

I will cry a river of blood.

Drez on
    edited June 2008
    I have A New Nightmare and remember it being okay. Controlled like a mac truck and if I recall correctly, you had limited ammo but some enemies respawned, meaning you basically had to run from most combat. (Memory is a little rusty, so I may be wrong on that).

Yeah you're right. But the thing about that game is that the atmosphere was amazing, and the pacing was really good.

It was a true Survival Horror game.

urahonky on
    edited June 2008
    So... Alan Wake, then.

I was just coming to post...

By god if Alan Wake is not as great as it should be I will...I will...I will cry.

I will cry a river of blood.

Yup, I'm far more confident that Remedy will get it right (and are taking the time to do so), but if it doesn't turn out that way, I'll be more than a little saddened.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2008

Yeah you're right. But the thing about that game is that the atmosphere was amazing, and the pacing was really good.

It was a true Survival Horror game.

Oh, yeah it was pure Resident Evil/Lovecraftian mood personified. And it had two sets of prerendered backgrounds based on whether your flashlight was shining on an area or not.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's also Rainy Woods (aka horribly blatant Twin peaks rip-off) and the Siren remake, of course.
    Fatal Frame 4 and Alan Wake are the only console survival horror I'm optimistic for, though.

Now, some of the forthcoming DS stuff is quite another matter. Nanashi No Game and Moon are both highly promising.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2008
    Woah woah woah.. Siren remake? Oh shit, I think I just soiled myself at the thought of that.

I would say that I have a lot of confidence in Alan Wake based on the developers and what I've seen. Unfortunately that confidence has nothing to do with the release date.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Woah woah woah.. Siren remake? Oh shit, I think I just soiled myself at the thought of that.
    PS3, downloadable.
    At least, we think it's a remake.
    No-one's quite sure.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2008
    This game isn't even worth close to 20 bucks. This is the first game in a long time that I've found almost completely meritless. Pretty much the only thing I like is when you sit in a car and can check the visor and glove box. An amusing little bit of code that other games should adopt in the future. I mean, it's not the first game to do it, but it's pretty much the only thing I enjoy about this game.

Let's list its flaws (I have the Xbox 360 version):

1) Abysmal controls.
    2) Irritating interface.
    3) Terribly unterrifying.
    4) Extremely easy.
    5) Illogical puzzles.
    6) Ledge-climbing bullshit.
    7) Lame story.
    8) Lame, derivative, boring, R.L. Stine-grade cardboard-cutout characters with cardboard-chewing voice-acting.
    9) Underwhelming graphics.
    10) Buying or renting the game costs money.

Honestly, the entire thing is like one, big rash on my ass and I could sit here listing all its minute flaws until the genetically-modified cows come home singing "Obladi Oblada" but this game isn't even worth the neurotransmitters it would take to think about it.

I think the 30% scores this is getting are rather generous.

Drez on
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    PS3, downloadable.
    At least, we think it's a remake.
    No-one's quite sure.

Between that and Wipeout HD, I'll be needing to have some cash for my PS3 wallet.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    So is it not a lighter? Or are they just disassociating themselves from the brand?

0625080903arv3.jpg

0625080905arm9.jpg

"This is not a Zippo lighter."

Meaning it's not even a real lighter.

edited June 2008
    Not only is it not a real fucking lighter, it comes with a fake fucking game. That's awesome.

urahonky on