As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Oh man!

I would totally be into playing some with people, but you guys seem to be playing on PC? Gah!

I am getting this game soon. We should play.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, the Big Surf Island DLC is apparently $12.99, and it's being released this Thursday. Thoughts?

To me, the price actually seems more reasonable than the previous DLC packs, but I'm still hesitant. I talked a big game in the past, saying, "Man, all this free DLC Criterion is giving us... I'll surely buy everything they release once they start charging because I'm so grateful and it'll be like a donation to them." And yet, I have not bought any of the premium DLC packs so far. Is it because the price of the game is currently so low that it feels wrong to put more money into DLC than it cost to get the game? Maybe.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe because the free DLC packs were just more enticing than the premium DLC. Except for Big Surf. Big Surf looks hot.

Renzo on
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just bought this the other day for the 360 if anyone wants to play.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    coutts wrote: »
    I just bought this the other day for the 360 if anyone wants to play.

Add the metatag and I'll accept the request once I'm back at my 360.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bficky wrote: »
    So, the Big Surf Island DLC is apparently $12.99, and it's being released this Thursday. Thoughts?

To me, the price actually seems more reasonable than the previous DLC packs, but I'm still hesitant. I talked a big game in the past, saying, "Man, all this free DLC Criterion is giving us... I'll surely buy everything they release once they start charging because I'm so grateful and it'll be like a donation to them." And yet, I have not bought any of the premium DLC packs so far. Is it because the price of the game is currently so low that it feels wrong to put more money into DLC than it cost to get the game? Maybe.
    Personally while its only 12.99 it just feels wrong to me to pay 70% of the price I paid for the full game (off of psn) for roughly 12.5% of the content

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Personally while its only 12.99 it just feels wrong to me to pay 70% of the price I paid for the full game (off of psn) for roughly 12.5% of the content

Pfft. I remember buying $50 expansions for shooters that were nothing more than level packs. No new enemies, no new guns, hardly anything there for story, paying more than the original game cost for less than half the amount of levels and nothing else. Kids these days.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If it helps, think of it like a Korean MMO.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Or L4D2, except cheaper.
    Zing!

freakish light on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder how long it'll take before Big Surf Island is available on PC. We don't even have Cops & Robbers yet.

Peewi on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll probably buy the new island, unless it totally sucks for some reason.

We should plan for a game on thursday night.

tofu on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I talked a big game in the past, saying, "Man, all this free DLC Criterion is giving us... I'll surely buy everything they release once they start charging because I'm so grateful and it'll be like a donation to them."

Me too. When I first got the game and they were releasing free content left right and centre, I was stoked. But when was the last time they did that? On the 360 we've had several mandatory updates, each a good gig and change in size, but it's been quite a while since there was any new free content to go along with it.

I wouldn't be so annoyed if it weren't for the fact that I have to have the update to play with my friends, but it doesn't actually add anything to my gaming experience. Big updates to a game like this should make me excited but I'm not, because I know that at best I'll get a few improvements to the GUI, but more likely my game will be bogged down with another three menu options to select from before I get to play.

New free content is a privilege, not a right, but forcing me to download a gig worth of content without making any positive changes to my gaming experience is a major turn-off.

Legba on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The updates are cumulative, you only need to keep the latest one on your hard drive (in case you didn't know).

I really appreciate the visual tweaking that came with the february (i think) update, the same one where the billboards and super jump markers changed color, everything seems much clearer now and i'm noticing things about the city i never did before (and night time driving isn't as frustrating either, at least you can see the road 10 meters in front of you now).

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know what I've been wishing they would do ever since the bikes update?

I would love to see them "finish" the nighttime city. It looks nice out in the country with just streetlights, headlights, and the moon, but downtown simply looks weird after dark -- there are no lights in the windows on the buildings, they reflect what appear to still be their daytime reflection maps, and the storefronts and entryways and other things just look strangely dead.

Granted, this may not be particularly out of place in a world where there are no humans and only driverless, sentient cars, but it's just that it all looks so very pretty in the daylight, and it would be nice if they could make the night part match up.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I'm pumped for the new island. I haven't touched anything on my 360 in months except for RB2, but I picked up BP again a couple nights ago and finally 100%ed it, after putting off the last few billboards and smashes for so long.

I wish Criterion would funnel all their effort only into new areas. The game already has a hojillion cars, and once you near or reach the end of the game there are only 4 or 5 that are worth driving consistently - most of the rest are just "in-betweeners" that you have to drive while trying to get better cars. bficky, the reason that neither you nor I have bought any of the non-free DLC is probably because it doesn't really add anything convincing to the game. The Legendary cars are kinda neat, but the novelty of that stuff wears off in about 10 minutes, and both of us know that well enough to avoid purchasing, I imagine. I've heard Cops and Robbers is alright but not worth the cash either.

I hadn't even tried online Road Rage and Marked Man until the other night, and I found them to be surprisingly fun (esp Road Rage) - and that's from someone who only ever plays in public rooms. I've found the best experience comes from hosting: once you get past the initial few minutes where no one joins, all you have to do is keep the challenges/freeburn games coming rapid-fire and immediately kick people who are griefing or away, and people will keep joining the room. Why is it that 95% of all the public rooms I join hosted by someone else, they never start any games/challenges?

My tag is Woc586; if anyone wants to throw out a friend request/invite on Live I'd be happy to join games later this week.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    I wish Criterion would funnel all their effort only into new areas.

Since they are now working on a new Need for Speed game, I wouldn't expect much in the way of map expansion.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's out, along with the 1.9 update.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The OP really needs a renovation. I'll knock one up and edit it once my jail time is up.

Willeth on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is none of the DLC avaliable for the PC version of the game? I booted it up to see if I could pay them money for new cars yet and nope, just the same old "coming soon" shit on the Burnout store. What the fuck Criterion?

Drool on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be picking up some points tonight.

Can't wait. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Surf might have to wait a little while for me, i'm thinking of picking up Red Faction and that leaves me with no money for the 500 or so points i need, oh well.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    So is none of the DLC avaliable for the PC version of the game? I booted it up to see if I could pay them money for new cars yet and nope, just the same old "coming soon" shit on the Burnout store. What the fuck Criterion?

Have you updated the game? You can get the update here. The car packs are available on PC, but Cops & Robbers and the new Big Surf Island aren't. I hope that changes soon.

Peewi on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So okay, I just got PGR4 for like $10, and I've been playing it with my girlfriend. Aside from damage models from 1990 and the fact that I can't actually drift into a turn ever and I pretty much am not good at it, I'm having a bunch of fun.

So my question is, how does it compare to Burnout Paradise, and is BP easy to play local co-op? I know it's "open", so I wasn't sure if I could just select cars, select track, race.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So okay, I just got PGR4 for like $10, and I've been playing it with my girlfriend. Aside from damage models from 1990 and the fact that I can't actually drift into a turn ever and I pretty much am not good at it, I'm having a bunch of fun.

So my question is, how does it compare to Burnout Paradise, and is BP easy to play local co-op? I know it's "open", so I wasn't sure if I could just select cars, select track, race.

Burnout Paradise has no simultaneous local multiplayer at all. The only local multiplayer is the party mode where each player takes turns to do very specific things. If you want to race other people, you need to go online.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that said, the online mode is very well done and seamlessly integrated. it's like playing single player with real people trying to smash your car to bits

so much fun

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey Senshi, we should play Burnout right now.

Peewi on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    XBox Live Gold Deals of the week have killed any Burnout DLC purchases for me.

Because the stupid XBL stores NEVER lower prices, but these deals are weekly, I feel like ANYTHING I'd get for Burnout will pop up there eventually and save me a couple bucks. I just got Burnout 2 weeks ago, and love it, so Im trying to hold off until I beat the main game first, in hopes that the DLC gets rotated into a deal of the week at some point between now and then.

They really really need to adjust the way pricing for DLC is handled, but that's another topic all together.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    XBox Live Gold Deals of the week have killed any Burnout DLC purchases for me.

Because the stupid XBL stores NEVER lower prices, but these deals are weekly, I feel like ANYTHING I'd get for Burnout will pop up there eventually and save me a couple bucks. I just got Burnout 2 weeks ago, and love it, so Im trying to hold off until I beat the main game first, in hopes that the DLC gets rotated into a deal of the week at some point between now and then.

They really really need to adjust the way pricing for DLC is handled, but that's another topic all together.

This. I will buy this once I can get it for a bit cheaper. Not that I think it's a ripoff anything. Actually I think it's a pretty good price, but I don't need it yet. I have such a backlog to play, and if it goes down in price, then I will add it to the backlog.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I agree about the deal of the week...I almost don't buy anything that just comes out (unless I must have it) since eventually it should get price cut.

Two examples are Braid (which was way too expensive in my opinion) and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Both I held off on and paid much less for them. (800 for Braid and 400 for BC)

Awesome stuff.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Played the new island for about an hour this morning. As someone who has 100%ed Paradise and played it to death (but hasn't purchased any of the new non-free content), I think it's a good use of 1000 points. The island isn't massive, but the density of stuff to stunt is way, way higher than anywhere else in the game. Hardly a square foot of the island goes to waste: there are zero patches of flat nothingness. 95% of the island isn't about top speed, it's about stringing together tons of jumps. This also means you're going to wreck a lot. Many of the jumps have short takeoff zones and are optimized for lower speeds, unlike a lot of the jumps elsewhere in Paradise City, especially on the west side of the map.

I've only played a couple of the new events. The Island Tour races are fun but are over quickly. One of the races has you tear across the bridge, loop downtown, and come back, which is fun - there's no loading anywhere, and the island is a seamless part of the game.

I haven't taken it online yet, but I can't believe that there are so few new challenges. It's really all the new area is screaming for. There are tons of meeting places and potential trick jumps - there could easily be 100 or more really good challenges (i.e. not "use your boost" or "get 50 yards of drift") just on this island. I'm thinking a future free upgrade may bring more.

Specifics:
    The ski jump is awesome... a couple times. Yeah, it's a really, really big jump with an easy run up. There's actually a barrel roll jump next to it that's more fun.

The spiral parking garage was a great idea - circular drifting that actually takes you somewhere. Unfortunately, it only goes up 5 floors: you can't go all the way to the top. Bummer.

The dune buggy is fun, but I can't figure out why they keep making new cars. There are only so many variables you can adjust. Then again, I'm not really a "customizer" and I don't really care what my car looks like.

My original take was that Criterion should keep making new areas instead of other new cars, but I've flip-flopped on that. After I finish this, I think the game has pretty well run it's course. I'll keep playing online and such for a while, but after so much Paradise, the Burnout formula needs new tweaks that only a new game can bring. I hope Criterion does a good job on the new Need for Speed, because it's a franchise that really needs an overhaul - more gameplay, less "culture." Burnout Paradise shines in this department. Also, I'd love to see the return of closed-course races. They should keep the open city because I think everyone likes it, but I would suggest that they spend some time creating some events within the city that close off other streets, Monaco GP-style. Every once in a while I would like to just race without having to worry about looking at my GPS.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is the new Dune Buggy type car fun to use?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Also, I'd love to see the return of closed-course races. They should keep the open city because I think everyone likes it, but I would suggest that they spend some time creating some events within the city that close off other streets, Monaco GP-style. Every once in a while I would like to just race without having to worry about looking at my GPS.

This.

I recently picked up Motorstorm for $5, and I'm really digging the closed-course races (learning the shortcuts, choosing a car for a specific race). Burnout is far superior, but I'd love a real racetrack mode. I would throw my money at Criterion if they release a "Classic Circuit" type thing where they set up the road blocks and have a specific course to race. The standard route to the finish line is obvious (so you don't need to use the GPS or the flashing street signs), but Burnout pros that know the city inside and out would use alleys and ramps to shortcut their way through the race. Throw in a points system for gold, silver, and bronze, and it would be a DLC dream come true for me.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's fine. Plenty fast, good handling, stunt boost (the only kind that matters for 98% of the game and 99.9% of online), lightweight but won't wreck at the drop of a hat.

I say "it's fine" because I would have rather they spent time on something else (challenges).
    This.

I recently picked up Motorstorm for $5, and I'm really digging the closed-course races (learning the shortcuts, choosing a car for a specific race). Burnout is far superior, but I'd love a real racetrack mode. I would throw my money at Criterion if they release a "Classic Circuit" type thing where they set up the road blocks and have a specific course to race. The standard route to the finish line is obvious (so you don't need to use the GPS or the flashing street signs), but Burnout pros that know the city inside and out would use alleys and ramps to shortcut their way through the race. Throw in a points system for gold, silver, and bronze, and it would be a DLC dream come true for me.

I'm going to go pick up the other Xbox and 360 Burnout games just for some closed-course action, I think. Any other arcade racers you'd recommend? I love arcade racers to death but haven't played anything but BP in forever. The newer NFS games are annoying to me - I don't really want the career of a pro street racer, I just want to race something fast.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you have a Wii, get Excitebots..it's fantastic, fast, and frantic..and most importantly fun. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I've got Burnout Revenge right now. Should I play Burnout Paradise as well, or is it more of the same?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So I've got Burnout Revenge right now. Should I play Burnout Paradise as well, or is it more of the same?

It's more Burnout, but it's completely different in scope. I'd recommend downloading the demo, but in all honesty it's a bad demo. Luckily, Burnout is one of the few games I can recommend a blind purchase to anyone.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, for anyone who hasn't seen it, grab the Split/Second trailer off of Live. I groaned a bit when I saw "Disney," but then I remember that they were in charge of Pure also, which is a pretty good game.

Burnout Paradise is much, much bigger in scope than the previous games. It's a large open world, different kinds of events, really well implemented online play with "challenges" (lots of fun - stuff like "7 players line up under the ramp at the beach and the 8th player has to jump over them all). The Wikipedia page sums it up pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnout_Paradise

nlawalker on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »

Have you updated the game? You can get the update here. The car packs are available on PC, but Cops & Robbers and the new Big Surf Island aren't. I hope that changes soon.

Ah, that would be the problem. Silly me I guess I just assumed that if you're going to force me to connect to your servers every time I start up the game and have a store built in that you would automatically distribute patches on startup.

Silly Steam filling my head with expectations of convenient pc gaming.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hell, the OP sums it up pretty well. :lol:

Willeth on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    1000 points well spent.

Is it just me, or is Dune Buggy easily one of the hardest vehicles to crash in the game?

Turkey on