As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The online ones were hard for me, because finding people online to do the challenges and not fuck off? Yeah. Then there's the win races online and bleh to that.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Then again, Paradise is a game with a good-enough sense of progression so that I wouldn't mind starting from scratch again.

I've already started a new save, while keeping a backup of the 102% Car/101% Bike/482-out-of-490-challenges-done-save... but I think the thing that's really annoyed people is the fact that they chose the day they release them to say they aren't retroactive, when they may have known for weeks.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I definitely would have held off 101ing the bike update if they would have just announced the bad news whenever they found out. i mean i just did that the other day, cmon guys.

Ah_Pook on
  • krazykarl1982krazykarl1982 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I definitely would have held off 101ing the bike update if they would have just announced the bad news whenever they found out. i mean i just did that the other day, cmon guys.

ya, same, after all these months of stating retroactive goodness, they give us this info the day it comes out?
    *sigh* I just decided to delete my save. I better be in the mood to play again... soon..

oh, wait

wipeout... goddamnit.

krazykarl1982 on
    sig.php?tag=krazykarlito
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that was a pleasent surprise. burnout is for sale on PSN now.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited September 2008
    well i backed up my save last night and started on the trophies. theyre so damn easy. im at like 40% after maybe 3 hours of playing last night. should be able to knock out all of them except the burnout license tonight/tomorrow.

just a guess, but they probably ditched any hard trophies when they couldnt work the backwards compatibility. figured people wouldnt want to mess with re101ing the game just for trophies or whatever. i mean theres not even one for hitting all the jumps, smash gates or billboards. theres one for 10 jumps and that kind of piddly nothing stuff.

Ah_Pook on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just got my PS3 back, so getting some of these Trophies now and messing around with the bikes for the first time.

The bikes are pretty much perfect. I just wish you could tool around with Billboards and Smashes while on them.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how common is this 360 red-ringing after playing with the patch deal?

I'm a little concerned, I just got my new xbox after it red ringed and I don't want to lose it again.

Evil Multifarious on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's no real correlation with patches and hardware failure, really. It just seems like it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited October 2008
    360s red ring, thats just what they do. patches and things arent what causes it.

Ah_Pook on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I just watched a video (news to me) that Obama has an in-game campaign add in this (the video said X360, so I'm not sure if it's in the PS3 version) EA said it was paid for like any other ad.... haha... wow Obama reaching out to Burnout fans huh?...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haven't seen it on my PS3 version. Although I did manage to finally 100% my trophies. Huzzah. Now to work on mopping up all those cars.

JAEF on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah it's a campaign running in quite a few games. Apparently it's targeted in contested states, and only on 360 for some reason.

Willeth on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What other games have his ads shown up in?... Now you have me curious. (Owning only a PS3, I wasn't even aware Obama made it to the video game world)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I just picked this game up a little while ago and have been having a blast with single player. I got my burnout class license but I still only have around 44 of the 79 available cars. Are there special conditions to unlock many of them, or do I just need to keep beating events so they appear on the roads?

Also what's the best way to enjoy the game online? I've played a few ranked matches, but everyone seems to use the same fucking F1 cars and I don't really have a chance. Is there a way to create races with your own waypoints in a player match? I haven't really played around with it much, I started a few of my own games but nobody would join.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    You're probably missing the upgrades of a lot of cars. If you do the burning route for a car, you get the upgrade of that car. There are a couple that you only unlock on the road to the Elite licence, too (like the F1 car).

They're the only two ways to get them, though. A couple of special cases are the Rai-Jin Turbo and the Hunter Olympus - they are won by winning an online Marked Man and Road Rage, and can only be used online.

I never really play races online. I just jump into a freeburn and start doing challenges and freeburn games.

Willeth on
    edited October 2008
    Ah ok, thanks. I have almost all of the burning routes so far except for the 500 GT, racing oval and GT concept. I've tried them but they're so god damn hard. I have the 2 online only cars but they don't look too useful, lacking boost.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What other games have his ads shown up in?... Now you have me curious. (Owning only a PS3, I wasn't even aware Obama made it to the video game world)

An article I read said Guitar Hero and Madden were among those mentioned.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There are four more content packs planned, and will announce one a week each Friday beginning on Halloween.

http://criteriongames.com/packs/coming_soon.php

freakish light on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what's the deal with road rules? apparently i beat the best offline crash for a street or something, but i have no idea, i picked the game up this weekend.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited October 2008
    Yorker wrote: »
    So what's the deal with road rules? apparently i beat the best offline crash for a street or something, but i have no idea, i picked the game up this weekend.

each road in the game has an associated Time and Showtime road rule. if you look on the map you can switch it to road rules and each road will be marked whether youve beaten neither, one or both of its road rules (red, silver and gold respectively). pressing up (i think its up anyway) on the d-pad will let you toggle road rules also, and it will show the times and scores for whatever road youre driving down.

Ah_Pook on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, Obama advertising shows up in Burnout Paradise? That's funny as hell! No chance of seeing that in the UK though, is there? If it's only a few states and only on the 360, then I'm guessing they're trying to keep the amount of money spent on in-game advertising down.

Still pretty cool.

Legba on
    edited October 2008
    Offline times for road rules are preset beatable times. Online ones are what your friend's best times are.

Willeth on
    edited October 2008
    I'm really pumped for the new content packs. Bike pack is awesome. I wanted to unlock the new bikes and see the cool national paint jobs so I did every single burning and midnight ride today in 2 sittings while listening to The Distance by cake on repeat.

In retrospect that probably wasn't a good idea. Anyway I better get going for speed...I mean sleep.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Wow. It's hard enough listening to that song once. You have more resilient ears than I, sir.

JAEF on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am so glad I didn't drive myself insane doing burning routes. I just did races which are my favourite part, and let my roommate inexplicably do EVERY SINGLE burning route, time trial and hunted man. Maybe he's a masochist or something, but atleast I can race around with all the fancy dance cars and bikes.

I should probably play a bit more if obama ads are in the game heh.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I'm really pumped for the new content packs. Bike pack is awesome. I wanted to unlock the new bikes and see the cool national paint jobs so I did every single burning and midnight ride today in 2 sittings while listening to The Distance by cake on repeat.

In retrospect that probably wasn't a good idea. Anyway I better get going for speed...I mean sleep.

It sounds like you really went... the distance. You went for speed. It really sounds to me like you were racing, and pacing, and plotting the course.

freakish light on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "Girlfriend" is the best track in this game, bar none.

Absolutely perfect example of using music you think wouldn't fit and making it pure awesome.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Absolutely perfect example of using music you think wouldn't fit and making it pure awesome.

That and the LCD Soundsystem track are really the only ones I can stand listening to. I usually just throw on the whole Sound of Silver album and tear shit up.

Nimble Cat on
    edited October 2008

Pretty much this. I had that playing while I was doing a Road Rage. I got up to I think.. 74? Thank god for custom tracks.

JAEF on
    edited October 2008
    Man, 'Paradise City' could be the only fucking track in this game and i wouldn't care one bit.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JAEF wrote: »

Pretty much this. I had that playing while I was doing a Road Rage. I got up to I think.. 74? Thank god for custom tracks.

No one understands why I have Girlfriend on my mp3 player for in the car :\

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited October 2008
    i went as far as to buy that avril lavigne cd after playing burnout for so many hours. my friends don't understand this.

Ah_Pook on
    edited October 2008
    See, I just turned it off, so.

Also I think I might pick up Paradise for the PS3 as well and go for 204%. I'm obsessed!

Willeth on
    edited October 2008
    Haha, oh wow, some dickweed just booted me from his freeburn session because i raped him and his F1 racing buddies with my GT2400.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Why do people suck so bad at challenges? Why do they drop in the middle of one, or go the OPPOSITE FUCKING DIRECTION OF THE WAYPOINT?

Also, why can I never find someone willing to play online stunt run, or marked man, or road rage? I mean, seriously. This is fucking absurd. I just want those trophies so I can go back to my real save.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have the PS3 version, Wonderboy. Gotta coordinate a time so we can get some 1 on 1 stuff done.

Renzo on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i finally checked out bikes, holy shit it's pretty sweet. finally i can wheelie without fear!
    i dislike the anti-climatic crashes, it takes quite a bit away from the fun. me and my friends just like to drive really fast until we crash, and hand it off. more spectacular crashes would have been cool. (i get why, since the ragdoll bodies would probably look pretty violent.

honestly, i hope they patch in, like, a robot rider, who gets smashed up when you crash. screw realism, i want CARNAGE

Local H Jay on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    I have the PS3 version, Wonderboy. Gotta coordinate a time so we can get some 1 on 1 stuff done.

I might be available sometime tonight. All our halloween stuff is happening tomorrow and the only thing I have planned later is to play some Halo with a friend. I'm so close to getting 10 of each timed challenges and regular freeburn challenges, and I want to hurry up and finish my damn collection.

That said, I cannot beat your I-88 times. Any of them. I was in the bike and I was always slow by like 3 seconds. It was crazy.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Renzo wrote: »

I might be available sometime tonight. All our halloween stuff is happening tomorrow and the only thing I have planned later is to play some Halo with a friend. I'm so close to getting 10 of each timed challenges and regular freeburn challenges, and I want to hurry up and finish my damn collection.

That said, I cannot beat your I-88 times. Any of them. I was in the bike and I was always slow by like 3 seconds. It was crazy.

Yeah, I'm down for that tonight. I'll let you know when I'll be available. And yeah, sometimes I don't know how I got some of those times.

Renzo on