As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so the last 3 new cars in the Legendary cars pack have been revealed
    joystiq linky

ECTO-1, KITT, and the General Lee

looks pretty sweet.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That Carson KnightHawk (KITT knockoff) is a nice composite of both the Mustang and Trans Am versions.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've just updated the OP a bit in light of today's announcement:
    Burnout Paradise - The Ultimate Box is a rerelease of the game that contains all the previously-released free packs (new cars, challenges, online modes and bikes with a day/night cycle and weather), as well as the Party Pack, a collection of local play modes, all on-disc. It will be available on February 6th worldwide for PC, and in Europe and Asia for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

The Party Pack will also be available to buy separately as console DLC if you already own the game. No word on pricing as of yet. Also available on Feb 6th will be a host of free tweaks to the original game, such as a much called-for retry feature for events and a complete revamp of the vehicle dynamics and tweaks to the graphical quality.

Also coming at some point soon are the Legendary Cars - knock-offs of the BTTF DeLorean, KITT, Ecto-1 and the General Lee. No pricing for these has been announced as of yet.

http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=383

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's awesome.

And i got my firehawk competition GP today, which is also awesome, that thing is ridiculously fast.

I am, however, shocked and appalled that there's no norwegian flag livery.
    :P

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit you can retry events? I may have to finally give this game a fair shot. That was the most annoying thing in the world... To drive all that time, get 2nd... Then have to drive all the way back to restart it.

urahonky on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's coming in the patch on the 5th, apparently.

Also if anyone wants to play now I'm on.

Willeth on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Finally a release date for the PC version. I've been wanting to play this game forever.

Drool on
    edited January 2009
    Hmm... i wonder if we'll ever get motocross bikes and ATVs, that would be bitching.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Holy shit you can retry events? I may have to finally give this game a fair shot. That was the most annoying thing in the world... To drive all that time, get 2nd... Then have to drive all the way back to restart it.

Well, to be fair, it's only a problem if you only have one or two events left in the entire game. Otherwise there are events everywhere so if you fail one you just go one street over and blamm-o, you have another event.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Well, to be fair, it's only a problem if you only have one or two events left in the entire game. Otherwise there are events everywhere so if you fail one you just go one street over and blamm-o, you have another event.

Normally they end at about the same place, so when you finish one race that means the ones around that are also done (if you messed up and had to redo it multiple times). It was just annoying to have to drive back and do it again. I personally think this "open world" crap doesn't work very well under the Burnout license. If it were called just "Paradise Racing" then I wouldn't complain as much as I did.

But opinions opinions and all that.

urahonky on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Normally they end at about the same place, so when you finish one race that means the ones around that are also done (if you messed up and had to redo it multiple times). It was just annoying to have to drive back and do it again. I personally think this "open world" crap doesn't work very well under the Burnout license. If it were called just "Paradise Racing" then I wouldn't complain as much as I did.

I feel the same way about GTA IV. It loses that special something the series is known for and so giving the game the same name is kind of a silly thing to do.

Big Classy on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

?

They end at eight places, not usually one.

One for each direction: N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. They cover the whole map. There is almost always an event around you.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With all of this DLC planned, I think I'll plunge and buy the game finally.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    With all of this DLC planned, I think I'll plunge and buy the game finally.

its incredibly worth it. awesome game.

retrying events should placate some people i guess, since thats what people always want to complain about in this game. retrying events always seemed like it was completely missing the point to me though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yorker wrote: »
    Hmm... i wonder if we'll ever get motocross bikes and ATVs, that would be bitching.

i dunno, i'd much rather see bigger vehicles. the bikes are great for speed and such, but the crash is so lame it doesn't feel like burnout.
    now, give me some mammoth SUVs and trucks to smash around in, with nitro and awesome crashes.
    hell, i'd pay $10 for a demolition derby style mode in DLC.
    wait, scratch that, i'd pay $20 if they added in classic burnout modes.

Local H Jay on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i dont want more modes i want the new island dammit.*

*i will also accept new modes because they are cool too.

Ah_Pook on
    edited January 2009
    Hey. at least we're getting dune buggies, i'm happy with that.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sadly, you know what sold me...The General Lee.

*Old Dukes of Hazard fanboy here*

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's been awhile since I played this. I rented it about the time it came out last year on the 360 and pretty much exhausted the game (as in, beat every challenge and whatnot).

Now, I've got a Circuit City gift card for $20. As you may or may not know, Circuit City is going down the shitter, so I need to use it before it becomes just a piece of plastic. I was just considering getting a 1600 MS point card (seeing as how that's what I should have gotten but they were sold out when they did the GoW2 promo so I got this), but then I saw Paradise was down to twenty bucks. I know bikes and other stuff have been added since I stopped playing, so I'm wondering if I will enjoy all the new additions if I come back to it or if there's another cheap game that I haven't played before that will offer more than what Paradise's add-ons will provide.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited January 2009
    There's a whole new set of races and challenges for the bikes, more DLC on the way and online is always fun, i would get it if i were you.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Someday... when you least expect it... you'll be driving past Big Surf, when all of a sudden...

"WAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAH!"

*PSYCHE OUT!*

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited January 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I played this. I rented it about the time it came out last year on the 360 and pretty much exhausted the game (as in, beat every challenge and whatnot).

Now, I've got a Circuit City gift card for $20. As you may or may not know, Circuit City is going down the shitter, so I need to use it before it becomes just a piece of plastic. I was just considering getting a 1600 MS point card (seeing as how that's what I should have gotten but they were sold out when they did the GoW2 promo so I got this), but then I saw Paradise was down to twenty bucks. I know bikes and other stuff have been added since I stopped playing, so I'm wondering if I will enjoy all the new additions if I come back to it or if there's another cheap game that I haven't played before that will offer more than what Paradise's add-ons will provide.

Wow, yeah, the game's changed a ton since launch. There's another 240 challenges, online Marked Man, Road Rage and Stunt Run, a couple of new cars, and all the bike stuff.

Willeth on
    edited January 2009
    85 wins left for my Elite license.

When do you unlock the Überschall?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited January 2009
    The Carbon Uberschall is for doing two sets of online challenges. If you don't have that yet I'd be happy to help. The other one, I'm really not sure, but you can't be far off.

Quick note for people thinking of picking this up on PSN - wait a bit. According to a GAF moderator, it'll be dropping in price to coincide with the Ultimate Box. Also, apparently there was supposed to be more DLC revealed yesterday but it wasn't.

Willeth on
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    The Carbon Uberschall is for doing two sets of online challenges. If you don't have that yet I'd be happy to help. The other one, I'm really not sure, but you can't be far off.

Quick note for people thinking of picking this up on PSN - wait a bit. According to a GAF moderator, it'll be dropping in price to coincide with the Ultimate Box. Also, apparently there was supposed to be more DLC revealed yesterday but it wasn't.

I'm about 23 wins away from the regular one, but doing challenges sounds a lot more fun right now than winning races.

Maybe i'll start up a online session later.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited January 2009
    I'm gonna head next door and see if those guys will mind if I sit in their lounge and play Burnout. It's my 360, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. :)

EDIT: Hell yes. Just hit 102%.

Willeth on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So am I reading things correctly if I think that the Party pack adds offline console multiplayer?

Smurph on
    edited January 2009
    It does. It's pass-the-pad challenges, as far as I can gather - things like 'everyone do a barrel roll'.

Willeth on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know what I want, what I really, really want? The Speed Racer car.

Muddy Water on
    edited January 2009
    It does. It's pass-the-pad challenges, as far as I can gather - things like 'everyone do a barrel roll'.

As in no split screen racing with more than one person? Damn. Better than nothing though.

Smurph on
    edited January 2009
    Well I'm sure more details will become apparent nearer the release in two weeks.

Willeth on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Burnout Paradise is also available on Playstation Network. Don't buy it yet if you haven't already - according to GAF, it'll be twenty bucks very soon.

Oooh, this is great news. I hoped this would happen. I owned the game but goozexed it off. Figured I'd rebuy it and the DLC as a bundle off psn when it came out. (Would rather run this off HDD than have to insert disc)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For those with the PSN version, have you ever experienced any lag using a custom soundtrack? I don't mean a complete stop or lockup, but rather tiny hiccups every so often in rendering new buildings/cars or moving from track to track. I have the disc version and when I was using a custom soundtrack I was seeing a bit of that. Luckily the built in songs are decent after you make sure half of them never play again, but I'd be willing to sell my disc copy to a friend or some such if the PSN version is superior.

JAEF on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You guys don't have to wait for the PSN version to lower price to pay $20.

I saw it for $20 new yesterday at GameStop. It is Greatest Hits now.

UnbreakableVow on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah it's $20 new everywhere. Best Buy, GS, Amazon.

Renzo on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I know its $20 in disc form, but I'd rather have it waiting for me on my XMB ready to be played quickly. (Paradise always seemed like a great pick up and play game to me, but having to go swap out discs kind of ruins that)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dammit... I hate rebuying games I currently own but I'm going to have to for this. Since I can no longer get online with my 360 I need to get this for PS3, though I prefer to get this on the hdd as well

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone know if the "Ultimate Box" is going to still be $20 when it comes out?

Smurph on
    edited January 2009
    I believe it's full price, but honestly I don't know. You only have two weeks, though, I'm sure a retailer would tell you.

Willeth on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do know that Ultimate Box in the US will only be available on the PC. The extra content in Ultimate Box will be available on XBL Marketplace or PSN Store. If you live in the US and you want it on console, you'll have to buy the original game and then the content through digital distro.

Renzo on