As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Vector Thread!

13»

• Options
    NailClipperNailClipper Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    Staleghoti wrote:
    I have one question

is it possible for someone who's never done this before to download illustrator and make a pretty vector thing out of an image like this

Tania2.jpg

in say... less than two days?

Gold purse and silver shoes? Thats so tacky it actually hurts me to look at it.

NailClipper on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Staleghoti wrote:
    I have one question

is it possible for someone who's never done this before to download illustrator and make a pretty vector thing out of an image like this

Tania2.jpg

in say... less than two days?

Gold purse and silver shoes? Thats so tacky it actually hurts me to look at it.

:arrow:

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    NailClipperNailClipper Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    :arrow:

NailClipper on
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    redbrick1300preview.jpg

Moss on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, yay for them what can do it, but working with vectors is officially the HARDEST THING IN THE WORLD, and that includes being one of those guys that can pull a bus with their MOUTH.

After many years and several versions of Illustrator I simply can't do it, and I hereby defy ANYONE who says there's a way. It's not possible. Vector art cannot be done. In fact I'm starting to think the art in this thread is an elaborate hoax, and it's really done in Photoshop. Because you can't DRAW with vectors like these people are doing. Liars. You're all stinking liars. For SHAME, liars.

You just can't. Nope. No way, nohow. It's not possible to craft a recognizeable form other than the basic shapes available in Illustrator. If there is, I absolutely can't figure out how it's done. Therefore the obvious conclusion is that it's not possible. Dirty, stinking, horrible rotten vectors I hate you. Oh, how I hate. Why do they have to be all mathy?

I hope I've made myself perfectly clear.

multimoog on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh Multimog, you've made me laugh!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Can someone please teach us how to use gradient meshes effectively?

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • Options
    hlavcohlavco Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Woo, vectors. I love these things. I don't use Illustrator, because I'm cheap, so I use a free program called Inkscape instead.

Stuff:
    http://www.pennyracers.frih.net/arts/xmaseevee.png
    http://www.pennyracers.frih.net/arts/weasel.png
    http://www.pennyracers.frih.net/Art-photo.gif
    http://www.pennyracers.frih.net/arts/jam.png

Okay, the third one was Illustrator, because I was in school, but the rest was Inkscape. It doesn't have the gradient mesh tool, so the first one was tricky.

hlavco on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    none of those links are working for me. :|

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Phonehand wrote:
    I think you could. Just bust your ass.

:x

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That's because my host has the most unreliable server known to man. It quits out randomly for twenty-minute periods. Try again, they'll probably work this time.

Or, if you'd rather, they're all on my DeviantArt. But since DeviantArt is just about the slowest site ever, I'd recommend trying the first links... first.

hlavco on
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    construction-light.jpg
    just started using illustrator for web development man what have i been doing in paint shop pro all these years :(

Axim on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Illustrator is the resident king of web design tools. Most people don't understand that you DON'T need an imaging program; you need a LAYOUT program.

Rye on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hlavco wrote:
    That's because my host has the most unreliable server known to man. It quits out randomly for twenty-minute periods. Try again, they'll probably work this time.

Or, if you'd rather, they're all on my DeviantArt. But since DeviantArt is just about the slowest site ever, I'd recommend trying the first links... first.

Dude...you live in my town. And I'm fairly sure you go to my highschool, even though I've never seen you before.

D: small world.

edit:..is that illustrator pic of you...in mr Leonards class!?

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yes, yes it is.

Crazy.

hlavco on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are there any books out there that teach vector art? I have Illustrator, and I've adjusted stuff my boss makes before, but I've never made cool stuff like this before.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767