As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GURPS much?

2»

• Options
    MukaikuboMukaikubo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    For maximum Comedy Option, give yourself a large number of points like 800 or so and come up with the most awesomely badass characters you can.

(Gunslinger, Extra Attack, Ambidextrous, Altered Time Rate, High ST/DX: Congratulations, you are now a dual-assault-rifle wielding permanent bullet time'd god. Your vengeance will be swift and painful.)

For another Comedy Option, give yourself 0 points and come up with a group of characters. You'd be surprised what you can do.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    All this talk about transhuman space made me curious enough to look up a review, however this left me less then thrilled.
    GURPS Basic Rules and GURPS Compendium I are both required to play. GURPS: Bio-Tech, GURPS: Ultratech, GURPS: Ultratech 2, and GURPS: Space are all recommended for play. (Not to mention GURPS: Vehicles and GURPS: Robots to get the full value of the setting.)
    3 books required just to play the game, an additional 4 reccomended, and 2 more that you really should have, all before you even buy Transhuman Space itself? I suppose the idea is all those source books multiple uses justify them, but it still seems like a ridiculously high investment to start out.

Neaden on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Neaden wrote:
    All this talk about transhuman space made me curious enough to look up a review, however this left me less then thrilled.
    GURPS Basic Rules and GURPS Compendium I are both required to play. GURPS: Bio-Tech, GURPS: Ultratech, GURPS: Ultratech 2, and GURPS: Space are all recommended for play. (Not to mention GURPS: Vehicles and GURPS: Robots to get the full value of the setting.)
    3 books required just to play the game, an additional 4 reccomended, and 2 more that you really should have, all before you even buy Transhuman Space itself? I suppose the idea is all those source books multiple uses justify them, but it still seems like a ridiculously high investment to start out.

You don't have to use any of those. The game itself comes with GURPS Lite. The others are recommended, not required.

Anyhoo, a new edition is coming out soon (sometime this fall last I heard), so you may want to hold off.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Pick up Deep Beyond to see if you like it. Quite teh cheap these days.

Allon on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mukaikubo wrote:
    Characters Using GURPS I Am Currently Or Have Played In In The Last Month, as a sampler:

-Halo ODST
    -Vampire Hunter In Ancient Rome
    -Transhuman Space Orbital Garbageman ("Vacuum Cleaners")
    -A High School Kid
    -A psionic hamster named "Mister Widdles"

This should give some indication of A. How much I play GURPS, because I fucking love it and B. How versatile it really is.

Also if we are whoring settings, I am going to whore like fuck for Infinite Worlds. The 4e Infinite Worlds book is win and awesome.

sq5.jpg

:?:

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Probably either a microbot swarm operator on one of the Lagrange stations, or a Gypsy Angel scavenger that's a long, long way from home.
    I dunno.

Allon on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    One of you guys with a good grasp of GURPS should start a PBP over here. I can squeeze another game into my life and I'm dying to use the ruleset.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I second MJ. What gameworld and what version of the rules? I always liked reading the source books, but never got a chance to play. Been wanting to play a campaign of IOU for years.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    My heart belongs to Something Awful's TradGames forum. Otherwise, I would, for serious.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mukaikubo wrote:
    My heart belongs to Something Awful's TradGames forum. Otherwise, I would, for serious.
    But we can offer you a whole forum! Not just a single cluttered thread. Ooooh. Shiny.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So why does SomethingAwful, charge for forum use? I know its one time, but what the jesus.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    precisionk wrote:
    So why does SomethingAwful, charge for forum use? I know its one time, but what the jesus.
    To help fund server costs, it also really helps weed out the kids and dicks.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Or you could simply just be a kid or a dick with money...

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    In which case you'd get banned and have to give them even more money.
    It's a good system.

Allon on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Indeed. SA works great as a forum and Traditional Games hosts some very successful PBPs. Playing there is pointless though as I doubt everybody interested has an account and it really offers us nothing a thread on PA wouldn't. Frankly, I find it hard to play in a single thread, I like to keep things clear with distinct threads for setting info, ooc chatter and ic posting. Hence why I like the orp and the one forum (and any subforums you might need) per game.

Back on topic though, we would really need somebody to volunteer to DM. I always feel it is a bit rude gathering a swarm of players and then trying to track down a DM. DMing is a fuckton of work and it seems wrong to demand that somebody fill the role rather than offer it.

As it stands, my plate is full of DMing and I simply don't know GURPS well enough to run anything.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I wing games better than GM them, and while I've read IOU, I know too little of the GURPS system to be an acceptable GM.

Doronron on
  • Options
    EartaiEartai Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hrm, on one hand, I have an idea that I want to try and DM with GURPS. On the other hand, PBP moves at about a meter per hour.

I will contemplate this and get back to you.

Eartai on
    Lets spaek. Risten and repeat as sentence!
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I managed to score the 3rd Edition core at a local gaming store down the road for six bucks, and I'm really liking the system so far from what I've read of it. I'm definitely up for a good old PAF campaign if there was enough people.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    At TG, we solve this by keeping all OOC chatter in the channel's IRC room. It's a pretty good system, but it's not for everyone. Also, the last time I brought up doing a PBP game on Penny Arcade, I was basically crucified for my temerity in claiming PBP was anything but an inferior moronic idea, so I'm really gunshy about doing anything over here.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Mukaikubo wrote:
    At TG, we solve this by keeping all OOC chatter in the channel's IRC room. It's a pretty good system, but it's not for everyone. Also, the last time I brought up doing a PBP game on Penny Arcade, I was basically crucified for my temerity in claiming PBP was anything but an inferior moronic idea, so I'm really gunshy about doing anything over here.
    You overreacted to general ignorance about the format. We've actually had a few attempts at PBP here, I think. They just tend to die quite quickly.

And sticking in the OOC in an IRC channel relies on having your players online at the same time and that removes one of the benefits of the method (that you can merrily play with people from across the world).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I've been involved in a Skype/OpenRPG d20 game for the last several months. I find that works quite well. The difficulty lies in meshing everyone's schedules.

Doronron on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Sorry guys. Already running a game of Exalted and playing ADnD. Not enough time for some GURPSy goodness for now.

Allon on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Doronron wrote:
    I've been involved in a Skype/OpenRPG d20 game for the last several months. I find that works quite well. The difficulty lies in meshing everyone's schedules.
    And it's a major obstacle. This is why PBPs are so good, you can just pop in when you get a free ten minutes and post.
    That looks pretty cool but given that I've never seen a chat game able to go the distance (Although I have heard tales of them) I'm not going to be paying for it. A nice idea, but not for me, it would seem.
    Although it seems to have support for Iron Heroes, which is pretty sweet.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    That looks pretty cool but given that I've never seen a chat game able to go the distance (Although I have heard tales of them) I'm not going to be paying for it. A nice idea, but not for me, it would seem.
    Although it seems to have support for Iron Heroes, which is pretty sweet.

I've been in a Fantasy Grounds Group for almost a year now.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've never really played a pen-and-paper rpg before but I may be doing a Venture Brothers GURPS with some friends tomorrow.

Promises to be...interesting.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Man, my thread was so much slicker than this.

EDIT: Are we being limited to one thread per game type? If not, I'll start a new thread for my Zero Point Character thing.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I could run GURPS, but it'd be 3rd edition, I haven't convinced myself going to 4th is worth it.

As a warning, the game would be GURPS: Bunnies and Burrows.

Oh yeah. You're rabbits.

And not even cool rabbits with super powers or human intelligence. Just rabbits... well you could maybe have some psionic powers or something but THATS IT.

For an example of how this could possibly work read any of Richard Adams animal works, especially 'Watership Down'.

And for the totally random trivia bit of the day, B&B introduced the first martial arts rules of any roleplaying game.

Well... maybe I could run IOU, that would be fun.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sonar wrote:
    I could run GURPS, but it'd be 3rd edition, I haven't convinced myself going to 4th is worth it.

As a warning, the game would be GURPS: Bunnies and Burrows.

Oh yeah. You're rabbits.

And not even cool rabbits with super powers or human intelligence. Just rabbits... well you could maybe have some psionic powers or something but THATS IT.

For an example of how this could possibly work read any of Richard Adams animal works, especially 'Watership Down'.

And for the totally random trivia bit of the day, B&B introduced the first martial arts rules of any roleplaying game.

Well... maybe I could run IOU, that would be fun.

I've seen Bunnies and Burrows. It's pretty loltastic. IOU is freaking sweet, though.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Apparently the new edition of Transhuman Space (subtitled "Changing Times") is coming out soon, and being playtested through Pyramid.

This has me very excited.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    Apparently the new edition of Transhuman Space (subtitled "Changing Times") is coming out soon, and being playtested through Pyramid.

This has me very excited.

People keep asking when THS will get a 4th edition update, and they tend to not realize- THS was the testing bed for a lot of the shit they changed from 3rd-4th edition! Can't remember any specifics right now, sadly.

Mukaikubo on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sonar wrote:

Anyone with both 3rd and 4th edition experience willing to comment on the changes? Got at least $300 invested in 3rd ed books...

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    TapffetTapffet Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    hey guys... your lucky i kinda felt like browsing the PA TT forums.
    im a GM for 3rd edition (i dont think enough people have 4th yet to make it as relevant.. that and the games ive run, im the only one with books anyways.)
    Why i like GURPS:
    The nice thing about gurps is if you get familiar with what the point values for most things are, you can just make stuff up based on a general idea.
    like i just tell them (new players) how rolling works and apply only the neccesary rules i rember and make up numbers for things unless its gota be absolute and even then gurps dosnt care if you fudge the numbers, its just a book, not a person. thats the thing i dont like about D&D is that some GMs act like the book is god, we have to consult the book, the book the book the book! Your GM, your the god, and GURPS tells you that exactly. (thats what a good GM does anyways right? play god.)

Heres my offer.
    I would LOOOOVE to run a game for you all. I just spent a whole month on and off writing a universe for my close friends who've never roleplayed before, to play in.
    All but like 3 off them went away for college. So i dont want all my work to go to waste
    It is a comedy campaign, so you all can make ridiculous 150 point characters with anything you want from any source books you have (3rd edition please or just talk with me and we'll fudge the numbers to work)
    one of the characters my friends made was a japanese Gameshow host. he didnt even have a weapon. he had a mic. i counted it as a mace thingy.
    So if your all up for just some fun and wacky stuff great.

Problem: Ive never GMed on a forum or played a game on a forum... im wondering how hard would it be and who would want to help me with that. we need someone to play some NPCs, and stuff.
    Also I go to school monday/wendsdays all day. i do get on a computer twice a day when im at school, but only for an hour or two.
    I only have enough material written and compiled for two adventures strung together, with plot for a few more.

well thats about the thick and the thin of it. mabey we can get the ball rolling?

contact me on AIM.

Tapffet on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Asuma wrote:
    Sonar wrote:

Anyone with both 3rd and 4th edition experience willing to comment on the changes? Got at least $300 invested in 3rd ed books...

4th edition slightly superior, but conversion between the two is so easy it's not even funny. Keep using your 3rd Ed books and convert them over when needed.

Allon on