As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OM NOM]Dawn of War 2: FUCKING TYRANID GAMEPLAY MOVIE!

• GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    widowson wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Just because they have bright colors like all harlequins ever doesn't mean that she's gay.

Uh huh.

Ride a pink car or motorcycle with a rainbow flag flying high above it and see what happens....

Anyhow, Fagdar aside, I don't understand why they wouldn't put 'nids in the initial release and risk the nerdrage.
    Well, I'm not a jester and I really can't cut people in half while doing a handstand. It's sorta different for them.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dunno though, I do kinda wonder if relic will include Eldar in DoW2 initial release. I'm kind of on the fence about that one.

TheGerbil on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd also yank off to Baneblades and Lemas Russes because, without those 2 things, the Imperial Guard is a horde of conscripts with high-powered flashlights not fit for riot duty.

After all, what do you call an IG lasgun with a mounted flashlight?

Twin linked. :winky:

OK, see, this is one of my pet Peeves. By and large, the IG is not a horde of conscripts with high powered flashlights. For the most part they are a highly trained, highly professional, highly experienced fighting force that is, by modern standard, very well equipped. The Lasgun gets a lot of flak, but think about it, the damn thing never misfires, jams or other wise fails mechanically. If it does it can be easily fixed. it has somewhere between 60 and 100+ shots in a single charge pack and recharges from thermal or solar power. It can blow a fist sized hole through someone wearing flak armour, accurately and at long range.
    Its not that they are incompetent and poorly equipped (Again for the most part), its just that everything else in the game is far superior to them. Remember, Eldar Guardians, conscripts though they may be, are armed and armoured with equipment that is the product of thousands of years of technology in the hands of someone who has fought for centuries. Guardians also get a lot of stick for being shit.

Sure, they do have a WWII "theme" going on, and anachronistic as it is I guess it fits the setting. So yeah. Don't mess wit the Imperial guard, or Who'll bombard you with artillery for 3 days, send in a tank company to destroy everything still standing, then send in the Infantry to clean up what's left.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • bongibongi regular
    edited June 2008
    harlequins are like homosexuals that can beat everyone up

they make space marines look like guardsmen

best fags ever

bongi on
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What I really, really, really hope they do for multiplayer is run it like an actual game of 40k. You choose how many points you want to play, and then you drag in squads and equipment as you see fit. You can choose to start with reserves for deepstrike, and all that jazz. Perhaps you'd have to set up a list for the point value before you actually went into multiplayer, (before the game starts at all), but that'd be fine.

And I, for one, think the IG are pretty neat. They compare poorly just because they're being compared to psychic space elves, genetically modified superhumans, and ancient regenerating doom-robots whose infantry units carry guns that disintegrate things (Yes, I play necrons. Yes, I think they're awesome. I agree that the fluff was kind of poorly written, though). In real life, they could probably beat the absolute crud out of just about anyone.

The Lord of Hats on
    edited June 2008
    I want to field an army of rangers. That's all. I tried it one time when you could still make more than one squad and it was wonderful, I can only imagine how much better it would be if they didn't have to de-cloak to fire.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    I'd also yank off to Baneblades and Lemas Russes because, without those 2 things, the Imperial Guard is a horde of conscripts with high-powered flashlights not fit for riot duty.

OK, see, this is one of my pet Peeves. By and large, the IG is not a horde of conscripts with high powered flashlights. For the most part they are a highly trained, highly professional, highly experienced fighting force that is, by modern standard, very well equipped. The Lasgun gets a lot of flak, but think about it, the damn thing never misfires, jams or other wise fails mechanically. If it does it can be easily fixed. it has somewhere between 60 and 100+ shots in a single charge pack and recharges from thermal or solar power. It can blow a fist sized hole through someone wearing flak armour, accurately and at long range.
    Its not that they are incompetent and poorly equipped (Again for the most part), its just that everything else in the game is far superior to them. Remember, Eldar Guardians, conscripts though they may be, are armed and armoured with equipment that is the product of thousands of years of technology in the hands of someone who has fought for centuries. Guardians also get a lot of stick for being shit.

Sure, they do have a WWII "theme" going on, and anachronistic as it is I guess it fits the setting. So yeah. Don't mess wit the Imperial guard, or Who'll bombard you with artillery for 3 days, send in a tank company to destroy everything still standing, then send in the Infantry to clean up what's left.

If your talking about the Cadians, Death Korps, Catchans, or Tanath guys, yeah, I can see that. Hell, they'd make prime recruiting worlds for Space Marine Chapters.

You gotta remember that these guys are the exceptions, though. Most IG regiments are conscript militias that have that WW 1 or Soviet WW2, toss kids into the meatgrinder mentality. Try reading 15 hours, one of the best 40K novels IMHO and it doesn't have a single space marine in it for a glimpse of a normal IG trooper.

It's part of the bleak, dark nature of the Universe where lots of IG campaigns are like fighting on the WW 1 western front for decades, if not centuries, and IG troopers get used up like ammo.

Here's your lasgun and some minimal training now shut up and go to the front or that Commisar shoots you in the back of the head and no, I don't care if you're some scared kid who's never left his home and shits his pants when you see that 'nid, shoot until it guts you.

It's why good IG units, like the Cadians, Catchans, and Tanath regiments are sent to fight battles far, FAR away from their homeworlds because well-trained and high-quality IG regiments are in short supply.

Heck, your avatar is part of a Valhallan regiment that does exactly that. They go all over the place because they're rock-solid and, as such, are needed badly.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    40k Nerd Rage is unlike any other. It's beautiful.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I know. I love fluff arguments. Way too much. 8-)

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hooray Tanith First-and-Only! :P

I'm as big a imperial guard whore as I am a whore to the Tau.

Niqle on
    edited June 2008
    Wait, what am I saying? I hope IG is in DoW2 because I want to see them die with the new graphics.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Guard is awesome. WAVE AFTER WAVE OF DEATH. then maybe the other army will get bored and leave.

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, huh, no base building?

Dadouw on
    edited June 2008
    Asher wrote: »

If your talking about the Cadians, Death Korps, Catchans, or Tanath guys, yeah, I can see that. Hell, they'd make prime recruiting worlds for Space Marine Chapters.

You gotta remember that these guys are the exceptions, though. Most IG regiments are conscript militias that have that WW 1 or Soviet WW2, toss kids into the meatgrinder mentality. Try reading 15 hours, one of the best 40K novels IMHO and it doesn't have a single space marine in it for a glimpse of a normal IG trooper.

It's part of the bleak, dark nature of the Universe where lots of IG campaigns are like fighting on the WW 1 western front for decades, if not centuries, and IG troopers get used up like ammo.

Here's your lasgun and some minimal training now shut up and go to the front or that Commisar shoots you in the back of the head and no, I don't care if you're some scared kid who's never left his home and shits his pants when you see that 'nid, shoot until it guts you.

It's why good IG units, like the Cadians, Catchans, and Tanath regiments are sent to fight battles far, FAR away from their homeworlds because well-trained and high-quality IG regiments are in short supply.

Heck, your avatar is part of a Valhallan regiment that does exactly that. They go all over the place because they're rock-solid and, as such, are needed badly.

Nerds! Activate! Deploy intricate knowledge of fictional setting!

i think we're just quibbling here. Yes there are crack regiments who are really competent. Yes there are conscripted regiment with rudimentary training and who suck in general. What we are really quibbling over is in what proportions they occur. My stance on this is that most of the Guard regiment are crack troops. yours is that the crack effective regiments are the exception rather than the rule.

Imperial Guard regiments are recruited from the best of the best of the PDF units, so I'd be inclined to say that the disagreement comes from Semantics. The Imperial Guard are much, much better than the PDF, which is why the are recruited to fight battles on other worlds, while PDF are only suitable for Garrison duty and are generally crap.

In the case of huge wars of attrition, then obviously, as the experienced troops are killed, raw recruits will be fed into the fighting, but this would happen in any case.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, and the point is pretty much moot anyway. I've heard 15 hours is good, so I should try to get a copy. The Cain Series is my favourite 40k novel series, and I have an intense dislike for the Ghosts.

So, how about that DoW 2 huh? I hear it has Orks.

Asher on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

You didn't see the MGS4 thread just before the game came out evidently.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So how about those screenshots on page 1? That's some pretty hot shit. Also dreadnaught voice is way deeper then in DoW 1 it seems.

TheGerbil on
    edited June 2008
    Honestly I'm most excited about the fact that they've mentioned a Co-Op campaign. That there is gold.

Asher on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope the voice acting is as good as the first one. Apart from some of the new race commanders who sounded really shitty.

Shujaa on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Voice acting? What is wrong with me.

Shujaa on
    edited June 2008
    "It is as though a thousand mouths cry out in pain!"

Asher on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nothing, dear, you're just different from the other boys and girls.

e: Taldeer 4 lief.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey you know what? Fuck all your guys hate for Imperial Guard!

At the end of the day it's the Imperial Guard who is saving humanity!

Who are the ones who hold back millions of aliens who are: stronger, tougher, taller, more technology advance, and so on? THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!

Who are the ones who have to have all odds stack against them, but manage to win the battle time and time? THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!

Who are the ones who are executed, because they've been exposed to Chaos during their lifelong battle of protecting all of humanity? THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!

People say the Imperial Guards gets used up like Ammo. They're tossed aside like so much toilet paper. That it's the Space Marines who are saving Humanity, and the Imperial Guard are just there to buy time. Well they are WRONG!

Who are the biggest betrayers of humanity? SPACE MARINES!
    Who, after all their brainwashing and biological and psychological engineering, turn their backs on the Emperor and nearly destroy him? SPACE MARINES!

But who are the ones who remain loyal to humanity, spend their entire short lives fighting against horrors that no man should have to face, with no biological implants or 10,000 years old equipment, only to face death and having their souls be eating in the chaos warp like M&Ms. IMPERIAL GUARDS!

So I'll say it again! Fuck Space Marines! Fuck their super awesomeness super power! Fuck how everybody think that they're the ones saving humanity!

IMPERIAL GUARDS!

ig3-640.jpg

Casually Hardcore on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It has always amused me that the human race wins through sheer force of breeding in these settings.

Serve the hive.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shujaa wrote: »
    I hope the voice acting is as good as the first one. Apart from some of the new race commanders who sounded really shitty.

Relic pretty much did Orks perfectly, voice-wise. Perfectly.
    "Where'z da trukk? Why'z I walkin'!?"
    "Pull da pin, frow da uvver part."
    "Boss! We'z all gonna dieeeeee!"

Fuck yes. The voice work, for the most part, was pretty awesome.
    That reminds me. Gorgutz needs to come back.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love the Ork voices from DoW, pretty much all the voices in that game are great, but the Orks were just perfect.

I totally wouldn't mind if they just reused the same sounds for the sequel.

815165 on
    edited June 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Nothing, dear, you're just different from the other boys and girls.

e: Taldeer 4 lief.
    Her conversation with Thule in DC was the best.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not sure if I want the same narrator, or a different one.

I mean, come on. Space Marines. You know what I'm talking about. Another good one was 'Da Biggest of Da Gunz'. That one was painful.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Terrible, terrible narrator.

Painful.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not sure if I want the same narrator, or a different one.

I mean, come on. Space Marines. You know what I'm talking about. Another good one was 'Da Biggest of Da Gunz'. That one was painful.

"But what the Orks DIDN'T count on was the resolution of the Space marEENS."

Anyways, my only hope is that they include Chaos in some form. Chaos lends itself really well to a doctrine system like in CoH. It would be so badass if you could go the path of Tzeentch/Nurgle/Khorne/Slanesh. I'm just speculating about the doctrine system, I honestly don't expect them to include it, but it would sure be cool.

Dissociater on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think my favourite warhammer army is the orks, followed by the robo-zombie-ghost-mummies.

The imperial guard gets an honorable mention because of the baneblade, and its 11 barrels of destructive fury <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2008
    My first encounter with a Baneblade involved a long, strung out train of Necron warriors trooping across the map in a desperate bid to find out where the hell the Imperial Guard were hiding.

I think the resulting death march took about an hour to conclude, and now I need to play Dawn of War again. ;-;

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chaos lends itself really well to a doctrine system like in CoH. It would be so badass if you could go the path of Tzeentch/Nurgle/Khorne/Slanesh. I'm just speculating about the doctrine system, I honestly don't expect them to include it, but it would sure be cool.

This. Oh yes. I would love a doctrine system like this.

Same goes for Orks, could be a choice between Goffs, Evil Sunz, Bad Moons, Deathskullz etc.

SM could have Tactical company, Assault company, Devastator company etc., maybe Veteran company also?

Eldar: standard Guardian host, Windrider host, that Aspect warrior special host whateveritscalled etc.

IG: Infantry company, Mechanized company, Armored company. Penal company.

Grudge on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    what about the tyranids

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Behemoth, Kraken, that third one?

Or maybe Infiltration, Invasion, Annihilation?

Grudge on
    edited June 2008
    That's easy! Genestealers, Things That Fly, Things That Crawl, Big Things That Are Big, One Giant Big Thing That Is Really Big, Floating Brains.

Lots of choices for a focus.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    NO FLYING UNITS!

Unless it's handle like CoH were they fly in and pwn shit; not hover like idiots.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited June 2008
    ... Ew, yes. I agree, actually.

They'd be more like things that "bounce over buildings on scrawny chicken wings", along the lines of the standard chainsaw bearing suicide squad, if anything.

I don't mind the jetpack mechanic, but plain old flight doesn't seem to mesh well.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The flying units in soulstorm were just incredibly awful. I hated them from the instant I saw them and in game they were even worse than the movies made them out to be.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited June 2008
    Grudge wrote: »
    Chaos lends itself really well to a doctrine system like in CoH. It would be so badass if you could go the path of Tzeentch/Nurgle/Khorne/Slanesh. I'm just speculating about the doctrine system, I honestly don't expect them to include it, but it would sure be cool.

This. Oh yes. I would love a doctrine system like this.

Same goes for Orks, could be a choice between Goffs, Evil Sunz, Bad Moons, Deathskullz etc.

SM could have Tactical company, Assault company, Devastator company etc., maybe Veteran company also?

Eldar: standard Guardian host, Windrider host, that Aspect warrior special host whateveritscalled etc.

IG: Infantry company, Mechanized company, Armored company. Penal company.
    No, fuck that. It's cool in CoH when you have 4 armies and all, but not in DoW. I would like a little pre-setup thing, so you get advantages and disadvantages depending on what you pick. Pancake puts it better, but that would be the best.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The flying units in soulstorm were just incredibly awful. I hated them from the instant I saw them and in game they were even worse than the movies made them out to bed.

The videos of those in action were actually the reason I didn't buy that expansion. ;-;

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg