As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can you do a hundred push ups? Joe Biden can

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So someone mentioned that they are going to apply this workout to sit ups? I'm wondering how that is going for them. I could use a workout program for abs. I am flabby. :(

Your abs are probably there to begin with but what about the layer of thick juicy fat covering them? Most people will have some sort of apparent abs if they can get rid of the layer of fat covering them. Sucks huh?

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basar wrote: »
    So someone mentioned that they are going to apply this workout to sit ups? I'm wondering how that is going for them. I could use a workout program for abs. I am flabby. :(

Your abs are probably there to begin with but what about the layer of thick juicy fat covering them? Most people will have some sort of apparent abs if they can get rid of the layer of fat covering them. Sucks huh?

This. Going running regularly will do more for defined abs than doing situps. The area on top of them is the first place fat is put, and the last place it leaves. So in order to get that really defined set of abs, you have to drop your fat percentage to almost zero.

That being said, doing situps to exercise the muscles themselves is still a great idea.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    W1D2 12/12/10/10/50

+ collapse

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I've fallen way behind. I'm going to have to do a test and start all over.

Yar on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'd be really worried if there wasn't any muscle underneath. I think I'll keep biking over running though.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    W1D3 15/13/10/10/13

I think I'm going to have to redo week 1. I struggled alot during the workouts, and I wasn't able to do the mininum required for the max today.
    I won't lie, I'm a bit dissapointed in myself.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    W1D3 15/13/10/10/13

I think I'm going to have to redo week 1. I struggled alot during the workouts, and I wasn't able to do the mininum required for the max today.
    I won't lie, I'm a bit dissapointed in myself.

Hey I was disappointed this week as well (my first week as well) but maybe you need to give your body some time to recover before you restart week 1? C'mon man! Cheer up! :)

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Or give it another shot tomorrow. You might be surprised at the difference a day makes.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, finally W3 complete satisfactorily. D3: 30/22/22/20/32

Marty81 on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    w3/d3 30/22/22/20/27 hufffffff, man i wish i was more toned so the muscle ive built is actually visible

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I tried starting this but I have no idea if I am doing the correct form or not.... I was in the low rank 3 at the start but I will start in rank 2 just in case....

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just jumping into the program, took the initial test!

Rank3, Max22.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well now I am somewhat disappointed... just did my post-week 2 endurance test, and only managed 25 to drop down to rank 2. Literally fell on my face trying to push up from the 26th. I thought for sure I could hack it in rank 3 again... but I won't push it.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in Week 1; Day 2 on the third rank and I'm feeling really good about it. I also adapted rank one into a "100 Pull-Ups" challenge, and have been doing both challenges about 30 minutes (or more) apart from one another. So far so good on both.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whatup
    Back from Guatemala
    I did the thing for the 1st 2 weeks there (I'll update when I get my notebook out of the bag)
    But then the latter 2 weeks I just found it difficult to fit it in, with all the traveling around and the diarrhea and all that fun stuff

So I might have to redo a week

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I finally passed Week 5! And according to the spreadsheet, I'm tied for third in max pushups, woo! At this rate I'll get to 100 in 2.5 more months, yay.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    1NV1KT051NV1KT05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'd be really worried if there wasn't any muscle underneath. I think I'll keep biking over running though.

Good choice. In fact running isn't necessarily the cure-all that people think it is. An average runner puts twice their weight in every step of running creating shock-impact on their joints, which eventually will mess with your spine leading to back issues. Also for women running isn't that great as it can permanently cause their breasts to sag, which is--in my mind--less than ideal. So stick to the cycle and get a good sweat going THEN do crunches. Do not do sit ups, they are bad for your lower back and require too much motion for less than ideal results. After you get your heart rate up to close to 180 BPM, that's when you should start your ab routine. Having your heart rate at an elevated level gets your body prepared to burn fat by increasing the rate at which your blood is pumping i.e. carrying energy throughout your body i.e. increasing your metabolism. Crunches, Upper-Ab Crunches (knees pulled to your chest), and Prison Squats are phenomenal for your core. Also, try doing planks with 45 second holds, those are good as well.

Best of luck!

1NV1KT05 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Did week 2 day 3 on Friday then the exhaustion test yesterday. 15/15/12/12/17. Not as much of an improvement as I would have liked for doing the week over.

The exhaustion test I did twice, once right away when I woke up, and again after work. I'm glad I did it again 'cause I went from 26 in the morning to 30 in the afternoon.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, I may have to go on a break from the program. As I was getting in the shower this morning I looked in the mirror and noticed that the chest muscle which rests under my arm on the right side is significantly larger than the one on my left side. I wouldn't normally be worried about that, but as I have mentioned before, I have some problems with my right shoulder. The size difference leads me to believe that the problem in my shoulder may be causing different muscles to be worked... which is not good. I've also noticed that my shoulder on the right is aching for a significantly longer time than the one on my left.

I'm going to give week 3 day 1 a shot tomorrow and see how I make out, but I'm also going to have to make a doctors appointment in order to get referred to some physio. Is that the right course of action, or should I just throw caution to the wind and push through with the program? Anybody else noticed any uneven muscle development or anything?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    oldmanken wrote: »
    You should try swimming if you want to do something that will work your shoulders but not stress them.

Unfortunately I can't swim... wasn't able to when I was a kid (ear problems), and never picked it up when I was finally able to do so.

It is astoundingly easy to learn how to swim. I'm sure they have lessons in your area and I doubt they're that expensive.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm never going to beat this day :?

35/28/10/12/12

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So, I may have to go on a break from the program. As I was getting in the shower this morning I looked in the mirror and noticed that the chest muscle which rests under my arm on the right side is significantly larger than the one on my left side. I wouldn't normally be worried about that, but as I have mentioned before, I have some problems with my right shoulder. The size difference leads me to believe that the problem in my shoulder may be causing different muscles to be worked... which is not good. I've also noticed that my shoulder on the right is aching for a significantly longer time than the one on my left.

I'm going to give week 3 day 1 a shot tomorrow and see how I make out, but I'm also going to have to make a doctors appointment in order to get referred to some physio. Is that the right course of action, or should I just throw caution to the wind and push through with the program? Anybody else noticed any uneven muscle development or anything?

You could just go for the whole Lady in the Water look,

also, So Ive been doing this for 3 weeks now and i can feel alot more muscle in my arms, when i flex i can tell that theres more muscle, but its kind of hard to really see, whats the best way to go about like, toning it so it doesnt look like my muscles are under padding?

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Week 2 D 1 tomorrow.... I am pretty sure I am not gonna be able to do it. :-/

Basar on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Week 1 Day 3

No motivation.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fatty-McPhatFatty-McPhat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    [whats the best way to go about like, toning it so it doesnt look like my muscles are under padding?

Unfortunately, the only way is to get rid of the padding.
    aka fat

Fatty-McPhat on
  • Options
    1NV1KT051NV1KT05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whats the best way to go about like, toning it so it doesnt look like my muscles are under padding?

This entire program is not designed to bulk up. It's entirely endurance, which entails toning. By using lots of repetitions and your own body weight, you're not challenging your body to "build" muscle, you're merely increasing the strength of the fast-twitch fibers in your muscles; aka: endurance. To tone, keep with lots of repetitions but do cardio before you start your "toning" routine. Get your heart rate up to 180-90 bpm, then start your push-ups, crunches or what-have-yous.

1NV1KT05 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    W2D3
    10/10/8/8/20

I'm a couple days behind schedule, since I haven't had much time lately. I'm really happy with 20 at the end there when the minimum was 10, though.

I'll do my Week 2 stress test tomorrow, then do tues/thurs/sat this week, and get back to my mon/wed/fri schedule next week.

elevature on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, so I decided to join you fine people in this worthy endeavour.

Initial rank: 3, max 20

W1D1: 10/10/8/6/13

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy sore elbow Batman!

Maybe pushed a bit too hard on W3D1, only got 25/17/17/15/20 when the last one should have been 25+, plus my elbow is kinda sore.

Guess I'll try that again after the day of rest.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Week 2 D 1 tomorrow.... I am pretty sure I am not gonna be able to do it. :-/

12/10/8/7/16

I guess I am not as much of a bum as I thought I was.

Basar on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    W3D1 25/17/17/15/11 :( Just under halfway on the last set. Grr.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    W1D1 Complete.

10/10/8/6/18 (min7)

Now my wrists are absolutely killing me, though.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    W2D3 15/15/12/12/30

Piece of cake. I feel noticeably stronger now, I completed the first 4 sets like it was a breeze. My max was 30, although I probably could have squeezed one or two more out of it. My max for W2D2 was just 20 or so, so this is a big improvement. Can't wait for the exhaustion test, I'm very curious to see how I'll compare to my previous bests.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rawr!

W4D1

27/20/20/17/33

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    W4/D1 27/20/20/17/27 BARELY, wow wednesday is going to be so hard

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    W1D2: 12/12/10/10/9

One short of the minimum for the last set. :(

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I'm redoing week 1 as I wasn't happy with my results the first time.

10/10/8/6/15

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to have to take a week off, as my doctor just informed me that my ac joint in my shoulder is fucked. I need to do some strengthening exercises in it, and then I plan to come back next week and do week 2 again.

I hate this setback, as I was managing so well. :(

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We need an abs thread.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ended up drifting away and paused for a couple weeks so I'm going to be restarting week 3.

Week 3, Day 1: 15/12/12/10/15

Ow.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12