As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e] In Search of the Cloudtalker - OOC (Looking for players)

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
There were rumors of a village in the desert called Calondra made up of men who had come from other lands, whether banished, as refugees, or lost travelers. They all came upon the place and stayed, despite the inclimate conditions, while somehow surviving. The rumors said that there was a powerful wizard at the center of the Calondra, the reason the people stayed despite the lack of resources: a wizard that could talk to the clouds, and call down rain from the heavens. Doing this had made him a celebrated member of the community, revered as highly as the governor of the land (a title and post the wizard wanted no part of). He made the ground fertile, thus giving them the ability to farm and survive on their own resources.

One day, the rains stopped coming. Completely bewildered by this development and worried about their community and livelihoods, the governor came to call at the wizard's hut, and found a dreadful scene: the door was ajar and only the unconscious form of a young man who usually assisted in fetching components for the wizard was found within, also there were signs of a struggle, drops of blood, and the trail of someone being dragged off by creatures with small footprints.

When the young man was back to considerable health he felt very ashamed. He blamed himself for the wizard being abducted, and vowed to find those responsible. However, the governor decreed that the he set forth, instead, to the closest town he'd traveled to when seeking the required components for the wizard and recruit adventurers who would come to their aid at this, their hour of need. And off the boy went at sundown.

Looking to start a 1st level adventure of my own design, working with around 4-6 characters. If you have any questions, post em. Its really late at night/early in the morning, so I'm cutting this short. If I've left something out I'll edit it in.

The game will be played in maptool. I am going to tentatively set the day of our first session as Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 at 7 PM EST (4 PM PST, Midnight GMT). I want to stress that this is tentative.

Being that this is a desert setting, the weather, climate, day and night time, will all play a factor in helping and harming certain aspects of play. Specifically, there'll be penalties to certain skill checks for things that might be considered difficult under extreme heat (during the daytime only). Make sure that your character's equipment includes water.

Cast

Darkside - Cyrus Boddington, Half Elf Warlock
Krata - Sheer, Human Wizard
Forar - Graysen Sterling, Halfling Rogue
INNS - M. Blackwell, Human Fighter

This is all of course not set in stone. Let me know some availability, people.

Goose! on

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Play by post or chat based? If the latter, I am so on.

Vic on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you go PbP I'll join in.

Dajian on
  • FletchsmFletchsm Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would be up for a spot, doesn't matter if it is PbP or chat. I am newbie player, just letting you know incase you are looking for veterans.

Fletchsm on
    [GIR is disguised as a government agent]
    Gir: I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If this is maptools(and my other games i am looking at fall through) I am interested.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I could do a pbp, and a maptool depending on the time.

Legionnaired on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in, although I've never played a game yet, total rook.

Dark_Side on
  • Wedge83Wedge83 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it's play by post I'm interested, my schedule is weird right now so nailing down set times for other types might be a bit rough.

Wedge83 on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    pbp? time zone? :U

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, first off, the game wouldn't start till at least the middle of July. I got 9 straight days of work followed by my 11 days of vacation (I might be able to start then).

My PBP games haven't fared too well, so I'm looking to make it chat based.

And EST.

I'd prefer people who have at least a little experience playing the game, since I'm a somewhat new DM and my teaching skills are probably not up to snuff yet.

But yeah, if you guys have read the books enough and feel you have a grasp of the game, whether you've played before or not, then roll your characters. Actually, use the point buy system. I'd announce a race and class at the very least, so we don't get duplicates.

Goose! on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If it is chat I am out. Best of luck to ya though!

Dajian on
    edited June 2008
    That all sounds good to me. I am actually reading through the DMG and along with the PHB, since I guess I will be running our home game too when that starts.

I already rolled a Human Ranger to get a grasp on the character system but would be up for filling in any gaps in class if need be.

Fletchsm on
    edited June 2008
    When are you thinking about doing the chat-game?

Also, Dragonborn Paladin.

Legionnaired on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I rolled a Half-elf warlock to get a feel for the system.

Dark_Side on
    edited June 2008
    Ill take a dwarf wizard then.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Depends how Europe-friendly your gaming time is but I'd be happy to play. I'm thinking I'll go with a Warlord, undecided on race.

Paranoia833 on
    edited June 2008
    Its EST so it depends on how late you want to stay awake, and how far west you are in Europe.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What kind of day do you expect to play?

I am aching to play a Fighter but I don't want to commit to a game I can't make it to D:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My availability jumps around from time to time but I am normally available Friday all day, Sunday all day until 9pm est (in a different game) and Tuesday all day. OTher days would have to be games that went from midnight est to whenever we decide etc.

ED: When you start making characters, don't forget to bring water. ;)

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Ill take a dwarf wizard then.

Are you sure you want to do that?
    i refrained from saying "I can't let you do that, Starfox.

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    Cast -
    Fletch - Human Ranger
    Legion - Dragonborn Paladin
    Darkside - Half Elf Warlock
    Goumin - Dwarf Wizard

possibly para as warlord and inns as fighters

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    If i am in sonars game ill be pulling out of this

ed: What is wrong with a dwarf wizard?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited June 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    My availability jumps around from time to time but I am normally available Friday all day, Sunday all day until 9pm est (in a different game) and Tuesday all day. OTher days would have to be games that went from midnight est to whenever we decide etc.

ED: When you start making characters, don't forget to bring water. ;)

If you were going to run Tuesdays, I could be down

But I usually work most other evenings D:

INeedNoSalt on
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't mind Tuesdays. Would anyone else object?

As for dwarf wizards, dwarves are notoriously mistrusting of magic for the most part. While its not unheard of, they're predisposed for non magical classes.

Goose! on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in if you've got space for another. I'd love to try out Maptools and 4th Edition.

Edit: leaning towards a Dragonborn Fighter or a Halfling Rogue, but I love the changes to 4th edition enough that I'm pretty open to whatever would fit in the group well.

Tuesday's might work, I'm also good Fridays after 5, and most of Sat/Sun, particularly in the afternoons.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited June 2008
    at this moment forar I'd say you're an alternate. If Goumin does pull out or if Para decides the time difference is too much, you're more than welcome.

Goose! on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll keep an eye on the thread then, gracias.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Go ahead and give me a reserve on filling whatever role the group needs (that'll probably mean a Warlord or Cleric if Para pulls out and Forar doesn't take up the slack) if you lose enough players. Put me at the bottom of your list though, because I'd need a quick crash course in Maptool. I've never actually used it before.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
    edited June 2008
    Its not that difficult as a player to use. Its going to be fun figuring out the DM side of it.

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    You're sunday times suit me quite niceley as 9PM EST is about the latest I could reasonably play till. Friday's a pretty much free for me but timewise I can only realistically commit to afternoons or mornings EST. Tuesday's are more iffy, they're free for me right now but I can't 100% promise it'll stay that way by mid July.

Paranoia833 on
    edited June 2008
    You're sunday times suit me quite niceley as 9PM EST is about the latest I could reasonably play till. Friday's a pretty much free for me but timewise I can only realistically commit to afternoons or mornings EST. Tuesday's are more iffy, they're free for me right now but I can't 100% promise it'll stay that way by mid July.

To be honest, I was kind of trying to make this a different day than Sunday, so that I had more than one day of tabletop fun in my life. And the thing about weekday afternoons and mornings is people are either working or doing things. I think you'll have to find a different game, Para. Sorry. :(

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    Oh well, no worries.

Paranoia833 on
    edited June 2008
    I am free on the weekends and also Tuesdays and Fridays after 4pm est until the end of July when I am free all week after 4pm est.

My preferred days would be Fridays or Tuesdays.

Fletchsm on
    edited June 2008
    Well, that's 2 for Tuesday.

Goose! on
    edited June 2008
    I'm changing to a Dragonborn Warlord with Cleric training... fuck, we're going to need some healing...

And Goose - I've been using maptool a bit and think I'm pretty pro with it - I can show you some stuff sometime if you like. Or you can just go here:

http://www.rptoolstutorials.net/

And Tuesday works for me.

Legionnaired on
    edited June 2008
    Warlord has plenty of healing iirc.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited June 2008
    Warlord has plenty of healing iirc.

Yeah, I might multiclass to paladin to still have the defender schtick going on.

Legionnaired on
    edited June 2008
    Dammit, I forget about this thread for a couple of days and now it is all filled up. Good luck to you guys!

Vic on
    edited June 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    Dammit, I forget about this thread for a couple of days and now it is all filled up. Good luck to you guys!

Get on PA vent tonight at 8 we might need players in the other game starting up.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited June 2008
    Vic wrote: »

Get on PA vent tonight at 8 we might need players in the other game starting up.

That is tempting but slightly frightening, since I have never visited PA vent before.

Actually, I am screwed. After consulting several webpages and oracles I have once again managed to wrap my head around the time differences and concluded that 8 pm EST is equivalent to 2 am Sweden Time. So it is not too late but rather too early for me.

Vic on
    edited June 2008