As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snow Crash [Phalla] - Game Over: Final Narration page 165

1101102103104105107»

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I have before, and it's the same as it always is.

not everyone here is a member of the international phalla conspiracy; perhaps you could indulge us by posting it again?

Nope. You could just search for it. I' m pretty sure it would take less than fifteen seconds.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    About seven.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    geez, you guys went to a lot of effort to kill me on day 8.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Proto, you were so obviously evil it was appalling.

edit: And by that I mean it was appalling that no one else apparently saw it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I am literally amazed the village won.

Drez on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Drez wrote: »

We killed them all just in case.

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    James wrote: »

I mean, I was convinced Proto was evil on Day 2. I told VH my suspicions whenever I died (Day 2, right?) and he didn't confirm my list, but he can confirm that Proto was the first name I gave him. He was the only person I was 100% convinced of throughout the entire game.

Drez on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

I mean, I was convinced Proto was evil on Day 2. I told VH my suspicions whenever I died (Day 2, right?) and he didn't confirm my list, but he can confirm that Proto was the first name I gave him. He was the only person I was 100% convinced of throughout the entire game.

Would you like to share some insight as to why or continue implying we're a bunch of dummies?

Medopine on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Would you like to share some insight as to why or continue implying we're a bunch of dummies?

That's not Drez's style at all.

I mean, I would love it if he helped out instead of looked down on everyone, but what're the chances?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

I mean, I would love it if he helped out instead of looked down on everyone, but what're the chances?

I didn't have enough to go on during my reign of terror against B:L on Day 2 so I wasn't going to incur anything else and after that I was dead, so it wasn't possible to help.

Anyway, how else am I supposed to see everyone if I don't look down? First you say it's rude not to look in your eyes while talking to you and now you tell me it's rude when I look down on you. Make up your fucking minds.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I didn't have enough to go on during my reign of terror against B:L on Day 2 so I wasn't going to incur anything else and after that I was dead, so it wasn't possible to help.

Anyway, how else am I supposed to see everyone if I don't look down? First you say it's rude not to look in your eyes while talking to you and now you tell me it's rude when I look down on you. Make up your fucking minds.

I was talking about helping now. I'm not stupid, and realise you can't say anything after dying.

LaOs on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean right now you could tell us

For those of us that aren't that great at Phalla and would like to learn to have better recognition of baddies

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm just teasing. But I really did think Proto was evil.

It's like a week after now but my spidey sense started tingling at page 37. Baddies LOVE to mischaracterize people, especially during the early part of the game when nobody knows anything for sure and there is so much text that a good percentage of the playerbase are more than willing to latch on to someone else's accusations without looking stuff up or reading. Subtle lies are a proven trick for baddies to use in the early part of the game for all these reasons: So much text and so little time to read for a significant number of players and the fact that misunderstandings are easy to write off after the fact.

This is one reason I like to swarm the thread with lots of text. It's not because I'm an egotist and want to be the center of attention, but it's a good method of separating people into people who mischaracterize and those who don't. Now, mischaracterizations may just be a product of misunderstanding, so you have to try to figure which from which. The way Proto phrased his first rebuttal to my B:L stuff just smacked of subtle mischaracterization to me:
    Proto wrote: »
    I don't like Drez's logic that if we put up B:L again tonight and he gets defended again then that ensures he is a bad guy. For one, the bad guys (if they are even the ones controlling that deflection power) could just protect B:L again, killing two more randoms and putting further suspicion on B:L.

Also, I think it unlikely that the baddies would have so much power as to be able to stop a villager vote. That seems unbalanced to me.

Drez's jumping all over B:L seems suspicious.

!Drez

Notice how he doesn't (a) say anything that wasn't already said by others (another bad guy tactic, especially considering now that the bad guys apparently had nothing to do with and didn't give a shit about B:L anyway, so it was safe to defend him, particularly because they knew he was innocent, so he was safe to defend and it sets me up as a future target as well), and (b) jumps right into "Drez jumping all over B:L seems suspicious" and then votes for me, without actually responding to ANY of the logical questions I put out there. See, baddies like to make it sound like they are talking about the topic at hand by actually chattering away randomly but not actually committing to any particular theory about anything because that makes them look helpful while keeping their hands clean if something goes awry, like a particular strand of logic leading to the death of an innocent or special. They can just say "hey, I just made an observation, that's all."

In his next post on the same page he suggests that I just spent pages upon pages of massive text shouting people down, which LOOKS correct if people aren't paying attention but was wholly INCORRECT, which is why I made posts stating nothing other than "DO NOT FOLLOW MY LOGIC - SUGGEST YOUR OWN" because I wasn't doing this at all. It's another way to mischaracterize someone who is innocent and public and instill some doubt in the crowd.

Unfortunately I went out that night and couldn't really follow through with anything.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not saying Proto sat there and masterminded all this from a social-psychology perspective premeditating all this or anything. But it all fits into the baddie SOP regardless of whether he/they just did this automatically or actively engaged people in this manner.

There is other evidence, of course, but I'm too tired to look it up...maybe later.

Drez on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Both of the last two bad guys were mentioned on the various boards and in PMs to me as people to watch out for like a half dozen times but for whatever reason we kept getting distracted.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm just reading through the conspirator proboards... and it turns out that truth is stranger than fiction!

You guys thought I was a guard? So awesome! =)

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    eecc wrote: »
    I'm just reading through the conspirator proboards... and it turns out that truth is stranger than fiction!

Watching after my death, not knowing you were looked at by the Seer, I was afraid you might have been a Baddie. You would have tainted spreadsheeting for who knows how long! (Just when we were starting to not get killed off simply because we 'sheet.)

LaOs on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm reading the conspirator boards now. Very amusing.

Lignisse... we need to work together some time instead of against each other :)

For the record (although that's obvious from the network board), Narvinye was never a seer target, and was never networked.

He was high on the early "if you can't think of any better ideas, just to make my life easier" list (when it was just pk and myself in pms), but other names kept coming up. Although I think he probably would've at least been more useful than Plutonium. :P I'm not sure what was going through pk's mind on day two.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, and for the record, I'll admit to early knowledge that I shouldn't have had...

On day one, when I was showing my newbie husband how to log in and check his PMs, he got the pop-up "new PM" notification as I was looking over his shoulder... a PM from Wildcat titled "Proboards"

At the time, I was sure that meant he was a bad guy and that I would never be able to play knowing that... so I caught VH on AIM and he let me in on the existence of the factions, but asked that I basically act like I didn't know until such time as someone who legitimately knew about them had reason to tell me.

Didn't help me any because I had no clue what the factions were or even why they would work together when they were not true mason groups, but it meant I didn't have to drop out under suspicious circumstances.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

I love Proto's last six posts. It's stuff like this that makes shenanigans worth while.

Watching after my death, not knowing you were looked at by the Seer, I was afraid you might have been a Baddie. You would have tainted spreadsheeting for who knows how long! (Just when we were starting to not get killed off simply because we 'sheet.)

It's a good thing I wasn't evil in role then... but perhaps a little evil in my actions. =P

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, and as I promised Lignisse: I (mostly) feigned the bout of emo in part because I was certain that you guys were considering me highly suspicious after Dyna's reveal and I wanted to appear to be a bad bad vig who wasn't worth your time targeting. I withheld my kill for the night in the (mistaken) thought that I'd get an extra kill the next day out of it.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I love Proto's last six posts. It's stuff like this that makes shenanigans worth while.

It's a good thing I wasn't evil in role then... but perhaps a little evil in my actions. =P

Nuke them all?

Naa. It's what I would have done. (Attempted, at least.)

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I think my favorite bit was how even VH was confused at first by what Lignisse was doing the night of the massacre.

Well, and that Thetheroo thought he had me convinced that he might be telling the truth.

Also, the fact that the bad guys couldn't make up their minds whether I was a seer or not, but completely forgot about the "always in both worlds" aspect of the gargoyle and stayed fixated on where I was declared to be.

I considered switching around at the end to fuck with them since we were in fact completely out of guardians so it didn't matter at all where people thought I was. I didn't want to give Hong Kong reason to try to do anything with me, though, because I wasn't sure what, if anything, it would reveal, and we were REALLY trying to give the impression of being out of seers.

However, I'm glad I didn't... as much as I would've liked another night or two of seer, I think I was too burned out to come up with the "nuke 'em from orbit" scheme on my own, and we might not have won.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, also amusing was that at the end, both sides decided at the same time that no mafia was better than a mafia that even MIGHT be controlled by the other side.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh. I'm flattered that you guys would lose one of your own to take me out.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The biggest disappointment in this game was the lack of last minute shenanigans on the bad guys' part.

As it turned out, shenanigans on the last night would have meant a bad guy victory, though, so I'm glad there wasn't any.

El Skid on