Options

Studio 60

2456789

Posts

  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I was really enjoying it, and then it got to the first scene with Perry... and it got amazing. Great writing. Not that that wasn't expected, but fuck this is great.

    very excited.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Three 6 Mafia cameo. Brilliant!

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    I just realized that it'll be going up against MNF later; I hope that does not spell its doom.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    I just realized that it'll be going up against MNF later; I hope that does not spell its doom.

    It's not quite as grim as all that, MNF moved to ESPN. I think it's going to hurt it's already downwards heading ratings.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The first episode aired last night here on CTV. It was glorious. In fact, it was so good I may just watch it again tonight when its on NBC.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It was good.

    Not Sports Night good.

    But good.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, the rant.

    Oh gods that rant.

    I want to get a full transcript of the parts that were cut off.

    Brolo on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    When they played a small teaser during the West Wing finale I nearly lost it. I've been looking forward to this all summer and it did not disappoint.

    There were aspects of Sorkin's writing and general style that I had missed so much since he left West Wing. The casual humour thrown into every other line without you even realizing it. The instantly endearing characters. The fast, lively pace.

    Finally, the moving conversations. This is what I missed the most. It was such a staple of early West Wing. People wander throughout half the set having a conversation and just as it ends the camera follows one person into another conversation.

    I was very excited and not at all disappointed with what I got out of that pilot. It's going to take me a while to stop calling Bradley Whitford "Josh" though.

    Asiina on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    he was only involved with west wing 1-4... do the later seasons follow closely, or is the a big drop off in quality?

    I doubt there was much of a drop off as it stayed popular, but for myself I'll probably have to see how into the characters I am after I watch the first 4... whenever I get to that.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    There was a pretty big drop in season 5, but it slowly picked up steam again and towards the end they brought it back up to near the previous quality.

    The big difference I noticed in season 5 and parts of 6 was that the characters, who had all been very close friends and colleagues suddenly hated each other. They were always fighting with one another and it seemed so unnatural. There was also a drop it writing. While the overall plot and big dialogue within episodes was fine, the little quips in hallways and during those moving conversations I was talking about disappeared. Those were what, in my eyes, made the show great and they left with Sorkin. The writers kinda picked up on that style after about a season and a half, but it wasn't quite the same.

    Asiina on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    he was only involved with west wing 1-4... do the later seasons follow closely, or is the a big drop off in quality?

    I doubt there was much of a drop off as it stayed popular, but for myself I'll probably have to see how into the characters I am after I watch the first 4... whenever I get to that.
    There was such a big drop in quality between the cliff-hanger ending of season 4 and the season 5 premier helmed by John Wells that I literally had to stop watching after that episode.

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    he was only involved with west wing 1-4... do the later seasons follow closely, or is the a big drop off in quality?

    I doubt there was much of a drop off as it stayed popular, but for myself I'll probably have to see how into the characters I am after I watch the first 4... whenever I get to that.
    There was such a big drop in quality between the cliff-hanger ending of season 4 and the season 5 premier helmed by John Wells that I literally had to stop watching after that episode.

    [spoiler:b652580212]Season 4: OH MY GOD YOUR DAUGHTER HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED. AND HERE'S JOHN GOODMAN! COULD THINGS GET ANYMORE TENSE?

    Season 5. Hey, look John Goodman sure is a douche huh...

    ...

    ...

    Oh look, there's your daughter.[/spoiler:b652580212]

    Low Key on
  • Options
    ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Since I don't have the Sports Night DVDs handy, I have a question. Did Sorkin use the same font in the credits for Sports Night? That was one of the very first things I noticed, and I just really dug it. That and the black-background-white-text title cards gave me strong West Wing impressions.

    Anyways, I loved it. I didn't realize it was going to be quite so autobiographical (I wonder how Schlamme feels about Sorkin giving his character the drug problem) but there were all the little touches that made me love Sorkin's shows in the first place. I even got a pedeconference.

    Also, on Matt Perry, I was never a big Friends fan, but I always thought that the 3 or 4 episodes he did on the West Wing were excellent. Having Perry back working under Sorkin was one of the things I was most looking forward to on this show. I was not disappointed.

    Valernos on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I saw it last night for the first time and I LOVED it!. My only gripe with the show, really, is Amanda Peet. I don't feel that she's a strong enough actress to be playing such a (potentially) pivotal role in the series. I really like the character, I just think she's wrong for the part. Much in the way that I felt about Josh Molina/Will Bailey.

    TheMarshal on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    The show was fantastic.

    Shinto on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Watched the pilot last night, loved it dearly. I have to say, I didn't think even Sorkin could make me tolerate Amanda Peet, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself actually liking her character. This is officially on my must-see list this season, which is more than I can say for any of the other new shows I've watched thus far.

    Bitstream on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TheMarshal wrote:
    I saw it last night for the first time and I LOVED it!. My only gripe with the show, really, is Amanda Peet. I don't feel that she's a strong enough actress to be playing such a (potentially) pivotal role in the series. I really like the character, I just think she's wrong for the part. Much in the way that I felt about Josh Molina/Will Bailey.

    You are dead to me. Just so you know.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TheMarshal wrote:
    I saw it last night for the first time and I LOVED it!. My only gripe with the show, really, is Amanda Peet. I don't feel that she's a strong enough actress to be playing such a (potentially) pivotal role in the series. I really like the character, I just think she's wrong for the part. Much in the way that I felt about Josh Molina/Will Bailey.

    You are dead to me. Just so you know.

    For which part? (just for my records)

    TheMarshal on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I thought the pilot was fantastic. My husband and I kept looking at each other with this big dopey "He's back!" grins on our faces every few minutes. The dialogue was so much fun to listen to (as expected) and I loved seeing Judd Hirsch go on at that rant in the opening sequence. Looking forward to Monday nights from now on. More please.

    Also: was anyone else startled by how much younger Bradley Whitford looked than he did on the final season of West Wing? Kudos to the WW makeup department ...

    DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    TheMarshal wrote:
    TheMarshal wrote:
    I saw it last night for the first time and I LOVED it!. My only gripe with the show, really, is Amanda Peet. I don't feel that she's a strong enough actress to be playing such a (potentially) pivotal role in the series. I really like the character, I just think she's wrong for the part. Much in the way that I felt about Josh Molina/Will Bailey.

    You are dead to me. Just so you know.

    For which part? (just for my records)

    Mainly the not liking Amanda Peet in the role. I thought she did a nice job of acting the role of someone in a new frightening situation but has to act in a confident leadership role. I loved the boardroom scene and the follow up to it. I thought she acted it well.

    That added to not liking Molina as Bailey? Togther it was simply not to be tolerated.

    Though your avatar has just reminded me that Naruto is due to stop sucking horribly anyday now. So I think I'll downgrade it to "On Warning" on that account. Though the Filler better end soon, for you sake.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think she got the frigthening new situation down right, but I really didn't get confidence from her. I know that it's Television, and that producers can be pretty young, but I keep looking for that wizened, calm veteran to be the focal point of order amidst the chaos or an ensemble cast (sigh... Leo).

    Off-topic, I doubt we'll be seeing non-filler Naruto anytime soon. There's only about 6-8 months worth of manga storyline to go through before they're all caught up again, and we're back to filler. (I caught the English dubbed version the other day and I threw up in my mouth a little. How can they think those voices are okay?)

    TheMarshal on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just watched it on my TiVo and I wasn't too excited by it. They stole the entire plot for the pilot from Network (and mentioning seven times that they did so in the show doesn't make it any less creatively bankrupt), which doesn't bode well for the creativity and freshness they're going to bring to the show. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes to give it a chance, based on the pedigree of the show, but I'm not convinced it has anything new to say. You can only get so many episodes out of, "Network censors are evil, and we'll rebel against them" as your main conflict.

    Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    I just watched it on my TiVo and I wasn't too excited by it. They stole the entire plot for the pilot from Network (and mentioning seven times that they did so in the show doesn't make it any less creatively bankrupt), which doesn't bode well for the creativity and freshness they're going to bring to the show. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes to give it a chance, based on the pedigree of the show, but I'm not convinced it has anything new to say. You can only get so many episodes out of, "Network censors are evil, and we'll rebel against them" as your main conflict.

    I've not heard of Network, but after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that the story wasn't the primary reason that I watched The West Wing. I mean yeah, there were some good stories, but by far the thing that drew me to the show was the writing and the story-telling.

    TheMarshal on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2006
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    I just watched it on my TiVo and I wasn't too excited by it. They stole the entire plot for the pilot from Network (and mentioning seven times that they did so in the show doesn't make it any less creatively bankrupt), which doesn't bode well for the creativity and freshness they're going to bring to the show. I'll probably watch a couple more episodes to give it a chance, based on the pedigree of the show, but I'm not convinced it has anything new to say. You can only get so many episodes out of, "Network censors are evil, and we'll rebel against them" as your main conflict.
    They stole the opening from Network (and I thought it was cute), but the rest of it was definitely not from Network.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    They stole the opening from Network (and I thought it was cute), but the rest of it was definitely not from Network.

    The opening was stolen, and the entire rest of the episode, until maybe the last 15 minutes or so, was all about dealing with the fallout from the Network, complete with, "We shouldn't do that, that's what they did in Network." For launching a brand new IP and series, and to have the springboard be ripping off a much better IP, that seems pretty ill-conceived. I get skeptical as to where the show will go from there.

    However, like I said, the show has good talent, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt right now. It just hasn't grabbed me yet.

    Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    They stole the opening from Network (and I thought it was cute), but the rest of it was definitely not from Network.

    The opening was stolen, and the entire rest of the episode, until maybe the last 15 minutes or so, was all about dealing with the fallout from the Network, complete with, "We shouldn't do that, that's what they did in Network." For launching a brand new IP and series, and to have the springboard be ripping off a much better IP, that seems pretty ill-conceived. I get skeptical as to where the show will go from there.

    However, like I said, the show has good talent, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt right now. It just hasn't grabbed me yet.

    You have a good point even though I've never heard of Network, but I think the show can still work. You have to assume they have a bit of the story planned out, and a pilot is just the jumping off point, who knows where it may go.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    You have a good point even though I've never heard of Network, but I think the show can still work. You have to assume they have a bit of the story planned out, and a pilot is just the jumping off point, who knows where it may go.

    That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm skeptical, but hopeful :)

    Of course, I'm also hopeful they'll have Bruce Willis and Kevin Pollack guest star for an episode called, "The Wholly Unnecessary Nine Yard Sequel Episode." Or, you know, something witty.

    Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    You have a good point even though I've never heard of Network, but I think the show can still work. You have to assume they have a bit of the story planned out, and a pilot is just the jumping off point, who knows where it may go.

    That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm skeptical, but hopeful :)

    Well I think the rest of the episodes will have the running of the TV show to provide fodder for stuff. Since they didn't do what the West Wing did (pick up in the middle) they had to show the beginning. It's pretty foregone the start of things would have to be different from what the show's everyday will be.

    Yea, Peet isn't Isaac or Leo. I'm not certain who that'd be, but Whitford or Shanley would be my guess for something similiar. We just haven't seen how they're act in the day to day yet.

    Edit: I'm curious what Hugley's character is going to actually play out as. We really didn't much of a feel for his or Corddry's characters at all.
    Of course, I'm also hopeful they'll have Bruce Willis and Kevin Pollack guest star for an episode called, "The Wholly Unnecessary Nine Yard Sequel Episode." Or, you know, something witty.

    "27 feet." You know Sorkin can make it relevant somehow.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Just watched it. As expected, it was awesome.

    Also, no one should hate to admit liking Matthew Perry; he is, IMO, one of the best comedic actors out there right now. Pretty much everything I've ever seen him in he's been great.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Missed the pilot, just caught the second episode (it airs a day early in Canada). Pretty good. Definitely Sorkin-y.


    And I've got to agree about Perry. He was the best actor by far in his mediocre sitcom and several mediocre movies.

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Missed the pilot, just caught the second episode (it airs a day early in Canada). Pretty good. Definitely Sorkin-y.


    And I've got to agree about Perry. He was the best actor by far in his mediocre sitcom and several mediocre movies.

    Fortunately, we get it two days in a row, which is good, since I didnt watch any TV tonight and forgot about this. I loved the pilot, but I'm a sucker for the sort of dialouge that Sorkin does.

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    is this on sundays or mondays? i forgot about it yesterday.

    heh, for a show I'm really excited about after seeing the pilot, this is a fairly pathetic question.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    is this on sundays or mondays? i forgot about it yesterday.

    heh, for a show I'm really excited about after seeing the pilot, this is a fairly pathetic question.
    Mondays.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    is this on sundays or mondays? i forgot about it yesterday.

    heh, for a show I'm really excited about after seeing the pilot, this is a fairly pathetic question.

    Depends upon how far north you live. Sunday for Canada, Monday for USA. The pilot was shown like five times last week, but I doubt they'll keep that up for long.

    Just saw the new one and while I liked it I can't help but notice that the show about bucking reactionary protest groups...didn't open with the sketch "Crazy Christians" like the pilot promised.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Variable wrote:
    is this on sundays or mondays? i forgot about it yesterday.

    heh, for a show I'm really excited about after seeing the pilot, this is a fairly pathetic question.

    Depends upon how far north you live. Sunday for Canada, Monday for USA. The pilot was shown like five times last week, but I doubt they'll keep that up for long.

    Just saw the new one and while I liked it I can't help but notice that the show about bucking reactionary protest groups...didn't open with the sketch "Crazy Christians" like the pilot promised.
    Like any SNL-esque show, it had a cold opening before it gets to the sketches. Too bad we didn't see that sketch, though.

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Just saw the new one and while I liked it I can't help but notice that the show about bucking reactionary protest groups...didn't open with the sketch "Crazy Christians" like the pilot promised.
    Like any SNL-esque show, it had a cold opening before it gets to the sketches. Too bad we didn't see that sketch, though.

    I'm missing the distinction that makes a Cold Open different from a sketch. I thought the cold open was just a sketch before the opening credits.

    I am curious how many of the actual sketches we'll end up seeing. I was dreading hearing the idea for the shown one this week but not seeing it.

    Supergeek note: The Krazy Kristians sketch does appear on the planning board for the show as like the third scene or such.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    He outlined all the things he wanted the cold open to do, hence the song and dance rather than the Krazy Kristians sketch, which was just a sketch.

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    When they [spoiler:a07caca606] joined hands together and started praying before the show's cold opening [/spoiler:a07caca606], my jaw dropped, and I was like, "Holy shit, brilliant!"

    Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't think actually showing the "Crazy Christians" scketch would have been a good idea. The amount of hype they gave it between the pilot and this week's show was just too much, it could never live up to it if we actually SAW it.

    What they actually chose for the cold open, I think, was awesome. There were a couple of lines there that I was like "I can't believe they DID that." Harriet's solo line was great, for starters.

    also, [spoiler:c15c254040]intellectual reach-around? Classic.[/spoiler:c15c254040]

    Nerissa on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think my favorite part was Matt's office.

    [spoiler:7f5df83477]It always knows.[/spoiler:7f5df83477]

    jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
Sign In or Register to comment.