• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ronzo on
  • Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    muninn wrote:
    I think it was interesting how they reanimated the corpse of John Goodman for this episode.

I'm assuming you're talking about his appearance, in which case I agree. He didn't look so good.

His acting was fine, though.

SpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    muninn wrote:
    I think it was interesting how they reanimated the corpse of John Goodman for this episode.

I'm assuming you're talking about his appearance, in which case I agree. He didn't look so good.

His acting was fine, though.

His acting was great but he did look like death warmed over. I am trying to decide if it was an intentional choice on the part of the show or not. Can't seem to find any other recent photos of him.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Tonight's episode was alright. I think next week's Christmas episode will be delightful.

I wonder...

[spoiler:08814ab06c]who the father of Jordan's baby is. My guess is...[/spoiler:08814ab06c]

[realspoiler:08814ab06c]Edward Asner[/realspoiler:08814ab06c]

:winky:

_J_ on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:e3c742c2bf]It's amazing how much better the show gets when it deals with the comedy and doesn't focus on the grandstanding about politics and television hypocrisy. The spit-take scene with Matt walking out without saying a word was one of the better scenes so far. Bring the funny first. Then bring whatever politics.

Also, the pregnancy plotline is most likely a result of Amanda Peet's real life pregnancy. I'm hoping for a good tie-in, but dreading contrivance.[/spoiler:e3c742c2bf]

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I finally saw a few episodes of Sports Night a few days ago. The first time that I heard that laugh track, I threw up in my mouth a little. It had all the trappings of a decent show, and then they threw in a laugh track and Josh Molina doing slapstick.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    TheMarshal wrote:
    I finally saw a few episodes of Sports Night a few days ago. The first time that I heard that laugh track, I threw up in my mouth a little. It had all the trappings of a decent show, and then they threw in a laugh track and Josh Molina doing slapstick.

ABC made them put the laugh track in because they thought it was a comedy. What they didn't realize was that it was actually a comedy that was too good to be funny.

_J_ on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    TheMarshal wrote:

ABC made them put the laugh track in because they thought it was a comedy. What they didn't realize was that it was actually a comedy that was too good to be funny.

Even liking the show, I have to take issue with the last sentence. "A comedy too good to be funny"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Hell, call it a dramady, call it a witty drama, call it whatever, but don't try and redefine comedy to make the show fit.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    TheMarshal wrote:

Even liking the show, I have to take issue with the last sentence. "A comedy too good to be funny"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Hell, call it a dramady, call it a witty drama, call it whatever, but don't try and redefine comedy to make the show fit.

I'm not redefining anything. I'm saying that Sports Night was a comedy that was too good to be funny.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    TheMarshal wrote:

After watching it I finally got what that Family Guy quote was talking about. I have to disagree, though. Sports Night is like any other show that Sorkin has wrote. It's thoughtful, with political undertones, quick, witty banter, and some genuinely funny parts. I'd never call anything he's done a comedy, though.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    TheMarshal wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    TheMarshal wrote:

After watching it I finally got what that Family Guy quote was talking about. I have to disagree, though. Sports Night is like any other show that Sorkin has wrote. It's thoughtful, with political undertones, quick, witty banter, and some genuinely funny parts. I'd never call anything he's done a comedy, though.

But it was marketed as a comedy by ABC. And that's why it is called a comedy.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    But it was marketed as a comedy by ABC. And that's why it is called a comedy.

I believe you. I think it was wrongly pitched as such.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Tonight's episode was great.

[spoiler:64848634d8]A relationship between Danny and Jordan is one that I am totally behind. He was so cute.[/spoiler:64848634d8]

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    Tonight's episode was great.

[spoiler:99fbd4c45c]A relationship between Danny and Jordan is one that I am totally behind. He was so cute.[/spoiler:99fbd4c45c]
    Yeah, I really loved tonight's episode.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:deebe5478c]The bit about the New Orleans jazz musicians was fabulous. Really makes you wish shit like that actually happened now and again.[/spoiler:deebe5478c]

Tach on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    The series has gotten too soft for my tastes I'm afraid. All the cast love each other and are always happy, theres not one deceitful one amongst them which is totally unrealistic. Plus the big enemy was the FCC using a situation where obviously we are intended to get behind Jack all the way without question. I failed to see the logic that the FCC would ever fine american stations for a live broadcast where something like that hapenned. We aren't talking Janets boob which was so totally staged, afterall.

Meh, it was the Xmas episode though. I guess we will see if it changes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tach wrote:
    [spoiler:1edde9deb4]The bit about the New Orleans jazz musicians was fabulous. Really makes you wish shit like that actually happened now and again.[/spoiler:1edde9deb4]

[spoiler:1edde9deb4]I'm wondering where the musicians who played dislocated New Orleans musicians were actually from and if this is an actual problem in LA right now. It would be some weird meta-plot if Sorkin was doing exactly what Danny was but in real life.[/spoiler:1edde9deb4]

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The series has gotten too soft for my tastes I'm afraid. All the cast love each other and are always happy, theres not one deceitful one amongst themwhich is totally unrealistic.

I think you've been watching too much Desparate Housewives.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The series has gotten too soft for my tastes I'm afraid. All the cast love each other and are always happy, theres not one deceitful one amongst them which is totally unrealistic.

Well the previous episode had almost all the writers leave, led by the co-antagonists. Jack's in limbo as a villainish guy so there is a void; unfortunately I don't see where it can be filled from the current cast.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I failed to see the logic that the FCC would ever fine american stations for a live broadcast where something like that hapenned. We aren't talking Janets boob which was so totally staged, afterall.

The FCC fined CBS when Bono said "fuck" at the Grammys, didn't they? Totally live and unrehearsed. The decency police were ALL OVER it.

Devout- I'd be interested to find that out as well. I'll see if I can check into it when I have time.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I failed to see the logic that the FCC would ever fine american stations for a live broadcast where something like that hapenned. We aren't talking Janets boob which was so totally staged, afterall.
    I think you need to read up a little more on the FCC. There's a major court case going on right now over exactly that sort of thing, which this episode was referencing. The FCC following the Bono incident brought in a "zero tolerance" policy towards all uses of Fuck and Shit, regardless of whether the broadcast was live or not, context or not:
    Fox Challenges FCC Authority Over Indecency
    Nov. 22, 2006
    By Brooks Boliek, The Hollywood Reporter

SOURCE: The Hollywood Reporter

WASHINGTON -- The government's new policy that is punishing broadcasters for a slip of the tongue is killing live television as it allows the FCC to look over producers' shoulders and edit content, the Fox network told a federal appeals court in New York on Nov. 22 in a key case challenging commission authority over indecent broadcasts.

In its brief, the network contends that the FCC is doing "serious violence to the First Amendment" with its policy that finds certain words so vile they are automatically actionable under its indecency rules.

"Under the FCC's new policy, virtually any uses of the words 'fuck' and 'shit' are prohibited, no matter how isolated or fleeting, no matter how inadvertent, and no matter whether they occur spontaneously during live programming," Fox attorneys argue. "The result is the end of truly live television and a gross expansion of the FCC's intrusion in the creative and editorial process. The FCC now second-guesses creative decisions on a show-by-show basis, levying huge fines if the artist or broadcaster has misjudged what the FCC's current commissioners will find offensive."
    Link

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Tach wrote:

The FCC fined CBS when Bono said "fuck" at the Grammys, didn't they? Totally live and unrehearsed. The decency police were ALL OVER it.

Devout- I'd be interested to find that out as well. I'll see if I can check into it when I have time.

I don't know about that but I think some idiot spouting off would be taken differently to a soldier almost dying and shouting what anyone would shout in the situation.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tach wrote:

I don't know about that but I think some idiot spouting off would be taken differently to a soldier almost dying and shouting what anyone would shout in the situation.
    Apparently you're unfamiliar with the concept of Zero Tolerance. You would think that a six year old with a plastic butter knife to cut some cheese with at lunch would be treated differently than a 16 year old thug who shoves a switchblade in his classmate's face, but you'd be wrong.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Last night's episode was best ever. I heart this show.

_J_ on
  • Options
    MutePrezMutePrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, I hope this show is getting the ratings it needs for a few more seasons. So good

MutePrez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Is there a new episode tonight?

That would be best birthday present ever.

Well...that and some...

[spoiler:797c308eb2]snuggling[/spoiler:797c308eb2]

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think it's an off week.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MutePrezMutePrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Isn't it off till january?

MutePrez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:

:cry:

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh, and it turns out those musicians really were from New Orleans

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:

It is. They're replaying "The Christmas Episode" this week. Not certain if we get a new one next week. I rather doubt it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    MutePrez wrote:
    Isn't it off till january?
    January 8.

Well, at least it's coming back before Heroes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

:cry:

And instead of [spoiler:c33e73a89b]snuggling[/spoiler:c33e73a89b] you get [spoiler:c33e73a89b]syphilis[/spoiler:c33e73a89b]

Happy birthday!

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's back. Not the best episode by far by we seem to have moved beyond "Phase 1: Introduce Characters" into "Phase 2: Things happen to Characters" which makes things more interesting. Quite a bit of build up for next weeks show.

[spoiler:5688d2b6e6]I'm missing the how the Tom/Lucy thing is going to be a problem. Lucy isn't stupid and should completely understand that when the President says do something you do it. Bah.

I find it funny that NBC can broadcast a word we're not allowed to say. I thought Darius was going to get the crap beaten out of him after that bit.

Danny is starting to feel scary stalkerish. It's not like she can fire him or anything but still really creepy. Like Anakin Genocide-as-Foreplay creepy.[/spoiler:5688d2b6e6]

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dude needs to stop trying to date the British chick, and hit the Chinese dude's daughter instead.

Da-yam

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    how many episodes have there been since it went on break? I need to know how many I missed.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Variable wrote:
    how many episodes have there been since it went on break? I need to know how many I missed.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Dude needs to stop trying to date the British chick, and hit the Chinese dude's daughter instead.

Da-yam

Seriously!

This cracked me up, though:

"Since you're 20, I should tell you that the legal age to drink in California is 21"

"What's the age for me to take you back to my room?"

"18"

"Thanks, man"

And when Jack busted in right before they made out, I almost spewed diet coke across the room.

localh77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It was even better. "What's the age for me to take you back to my room and dance for you?"

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, the Jack scene was pretty smooth.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg