Options

Studio 60

• Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    localh77 wrote:
    I almost spewed diet coke across the room.

that is the natural urgei feel to do when diet coke even comes close my tounge...

and i liked "he, that's a crucial scene in every romace comedy."

oh, yeah, and "HIRO"!

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Last episode. It's been fun.

:-(

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

Yea, this episode was alright but at the very least it ended on a somewhat positive note.

I was one of the bigger supporters of the series and even I hated last weeks episode. It's a shame since I like the majority of the performers and bits and pieces of the writing were very good.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »

It'll be back....in some form at least. NBC ordered a full 22 episodes so they will at least finish out the season. It all depends on how The Black Donnelly's does. If the show starts to bomb Studio 60 will be right back on the air, if it does well, Studio 60 will finish out its season in another time slot.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mantis23 wrote: »
    It'll be back....in some form at least. NBC ordered a full 22 episodes so they will at least finish out the season. It all depends on how The Black Donnelly's does. If the show starts to bomb Studio 60 will be right back on the air, if it does well, Studio 60 will finish out its season in another time slot.

Eh. My understanding is that regardless of when Studio 60 gets canceled NBC is eating massive costs. Sorkin had some sort of fairly large guarantee in his contract. Studio 60 is doing hideously bad considering it's very strong lead in.

We may see the remaining shot episodes over the summer but they'll likely do horribly and won't bring in the 'prime' audience that is the only thing that's kept Studio 60 afloat so far.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Why does America not love Sorkin?

Huh?

WHY YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That was good.

I like this show.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Lew ZealandLew Zealand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    deowolf wrote: »
    Why does America not love Sorkin?

Huh?

WHY YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!?

West Wing ran for quite a while.

It's just that this show went from being relatively promising to a complete joke.

Lew Zealand on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fuck, man. The most recent two episodes were the best in the whole show so far.

Snork on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I really wanted this show to succeed. Unfortunately, Sorkin didn't really seem to know whether to write a Sports Night comedy-with-drama or a West Wing drama-with-comedy and the end result came off as very uneven. I kept watching, and I did notice some improvement as it went on, but just not enough to keep going. Hell, I didn't even watch all of last night's episode and I don't feel like I really missed anything.

It was a good show, and it's sad to see it go, but honestly I wish Sorkin would just go back to writing for film (and a quick check of imdb tells me he's done just that. Nifty).

Anyway, it's not completely over yet, right? They signed a big deal, and I imagine we'll get a few closing episodes in the summer or something.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Are the ratings really so bad that's it's already granted that there won't be a second season?

Snork on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, the ratings are bad and it costs a fortune to make. It's probably lucky to have even gotten a full season.

I wanted to like it, but I couldn't convince myself to keep watching it after the show's quality plummeted after the promising pilot.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    Are the ratings really so bad that's it's already granted that there won't be a second season?

The ratings really are abysmal, and the production costs are astronomical. Basically from the get-go it needed to be a huge success to stick around, and despite everything going for it (good slot, good promotion, big name cast, and a HUGE lead in audience) it's been in the shitter since the first episode.

werehippy on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rest in Peace Studio 60,

We hardly knew thee...

rchou on
  • Options
    Lew ZealandLew Zealand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

What

The "When Harry met Matt" episode was easily the worst so far. Laughably bad. I didn't even bother on Monday.

Lew Zealand on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

What

The "When Harry met Matt" episode was easily the worst so far. Laughably bad. I didn't even bother on Monday.

I do have to agree with this.

This week was mediocre at best. You didn't miss much.

rchou on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Oh. I thought that episode ruled, although the whole Tim Batale thing was kind of forced. I remember noticing it was the first episode of the season not to use the upbeat credit music in the beginning, and that really set a depressing tone for the whole thing.

Snork on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I've enjoyed every single episode. Is it because I didn't watch West Wing? Are you all jaded after seven years of Sorkin?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    oh man, i really really love these characters and the setting... at least we get a full season, that's for sure. And i still believe NBC will order a second season. The Show is just too good...

source and a positive view of why studio 60 will live:
    http://www.tvseriesfinale.com/2007/02/studio_60_on_the_sunset_strip_seven_reasons_why_it.html

and while researching i found this gem:

"Andy Richter's new comedy Andy Barker will replace 30 Rock on Thursdays beginning March 15th." - wheee! ANDY! ANDY!

edit: OMG, it even got better: Conan O'Brien and Jonathan Groff are writers for the Show! AND: Buster from AD has a role!

"Basically if the image of "Arrested Development's" Buster doing a barrel roll over a hood of a gold Saturn or Andy Richter apologizing to an old lady for framing her for shoplifting so he can swipe some tax files makes you smile, you'll be right at home here."

omg, i can't wait for this show.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I've enjoyed every single episode. Is it because I didn't watch West Wing? Are you all jaded after seven years of Sorkin?

No because we got (Chronologically) 4 years of top shit Sorkin, a year of rubbish (Don't tell me anything, season 5 sucks in comparrison) and 2 seasons of alternitive West Wing (Which was still awsome imho).

He quit after 4 years, you see.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eh, Studio 60 did kind of have it coming. At least it ended with a relatively good episode (Danny and Jordan weren't creepy! And Matt and the hot lawyer had good chemistry and good scenes.)

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gotta be. I've never seen any West Wing, or Sports Night, and I'm loving the shit out of Studio 60. I'm also going to go ahead and fault NBC for its death on several accounts. Specifically, uneven marketing, and a time slot too late to get any good ratings. They should've moved it to another night with an earlier timeslot and sold it as "From the creator of The West Wing and Sports Night" for the best results.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    10 PM really is a shitty timeslot. I never knew the show was so hyped as it was until I started reading about it. I heard the name mentioned in passing on these forums like a year ago, and read about it, then forgot it until I started seeing trailers for the show right before it came out. Apparently it was a big deal in the TV community for a while. In retrospect, they could have marketed it a bit better.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    why are you guys talking like this was the last episode? we get the full season...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

Same here, I've never seen an episode of the West Wing in my life (would like to though now that I've seen Studio 60) and I love this show to bits. I love the characters, I love the storylines, I love the setting, I love the cast, I love the way it is shot, everything. I really don't understand why everyone seems to hate it, I mean what makes it so much worse than like 90% of the others shows on the air really? The only thing I don't like about it is the black superiority racist guy played by that guy from the sitcom The Hughleys. But other than that it's all gold, even Amanda Peet isn't annoying here, even though her character is kinda unrealistic.

Tingle on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I for one don't hate it, and I'm certainly not calling it a bad show. It is, however, just not as good as Sorkin's other shows by a pretty wide margin in my opinion. I think once you guys get into West Wing you'll understand what some of us are complaining about.

Think of it like the Zelda games - a whole lot (I'm guessing the majority, based on the opinions around here) of the die-hard fans who had played through all of the games were disappointed with Wind Waker when it hit, mostly because it deviated so much from the formula they were used to. Pretty much anyone you ask will agree that WW was a great game, but the long-term fans were generally let down by it.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't know why, but the guillotine scene really bugged me this week. Did anyone not see the result coming a mile away? And what, if the guy had put his head in there, he would have been decapitated?

Anyway, I loved this West Wing, and I really like Studio 60, but it's definitely not the same. I think one problem is that it's inherently less dramatic. West Wing characters were dealing with wars, and laws, and important stuff, and on Studio 60, the worst that could happen is they could get fined by the ASPCA for losing a snake. I think because of that, they had to create more drama between the characters. We're like half a season in, and I'm already sick of the Matt/Harriet stuff.

That said, it's still better written than a lot of stuff on tv, and it would be great if it got renewed for another season.

localh77 on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    localh77 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but the guillotine scene really bugged me this week. Did anyone not see the result coming a mile away? And what, if the guy had put his head in there, he would have been decapitated?

Anyway, I loved this West Wing, and I really like Studio 60, but it's definitely not the same. I think one problem is that it's inherently less dramatic. West Wing characters were dealing with wars, and laws, and important stuff, and on Studio 60, the worst that could happen is they could get fined by the ASPCA for losing a snake. I think because of that, they had to create more drama between the characters. We're like half a season in, and I'm already sick of the Matt/Harriet stuff.

That said, it's still better written than a lot of stuff on tv, and it would be great if it got renewed for another season.

I agree with you. I said it before, several pages ago, Sorkin found his niche with TWW. They were people you could believe were smart and thoughtful, and when they talked about social issues, you knew they actually knew their shit. The stakes just aren't high enough on this show.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I grew to love this over its short run. It took some getting used to, but I did come to love the laid back, slightly tongue-in-cheek stylings of the storytelling. I hope it returns.

Sumaleth on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    *sigh*

I love Sorkin's work so god damn much. 'Two Cathedrals' is one of the best episodes of any show, ever, and Studio 60 is the closest thing to The West Wing I have to cling on to. And it proved that Matthew Perry can be a serious actor.

Why would NBC shell out so much cash for this show and then put it in a shitty timeslot?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    *sigh*

I love Sorkin's work so god damn much. 'Two Cathedrals' is one of the best episodes of any show, ever, and Studio 60 is the closest thing to The West Wing I have to cling on to. And it proved that Matthew Perry can be a serious actor.

Why would NBC shell out so much cash for this show and then put it in a shitty timeslot?

Because they know it is a niche show whose audience has TiVo.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Gotta be. I've never seen any West Wing, or Sports Night, and I'm loving the shit out of Studio 60. I'm also going to go ahead and fault NBC for its death on several accounts. Specifically, uneven marketing, and a time slot too late to get any good ratings.

Give me a break. The show was marketed well, and it even followed the most popular show on the network and it still couldn't get any ratings.

While I don't think you need to see the West Wing to realize how mediocre 60 is, you should go ahead and watch it anyway to see what good Sorkin is like.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So as a result of this thread I contacted a friend who has a freakish love for DVR and has a rather frightening rig he built to handle said fetish. I just got back from watching the first three episodes.

The thing is, six minutes into the first episode I was already angry that I knew this isn't going to go past one season. I want to yell at someone for this, but that's not really possible. I think I'm going to go install and play Mechwarrior 3 just to destroy some innocent civilian buildings. Maybe if I try my very hardest to imagine that they contain Network TV execs I'll feel better.

Ok, off I go.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Gotta be. I've never seen any West Wing, or Sports Night, and I'm loving the shit out of Studio 60. I'm also going to go ahead and fault NBC for its death on several accounts. Specifically, uneven marketing, and a time slot too late to get any good ratings.

Give me a break. The show was marketed well, and it even followed the most popular show on the network and it still couldn't get any ratings.

While I don't think you need to see the West Wing to realize how mediocre 60 is, you should go ahead and watch it anyway to see what good Sorkin is like.

I'm not certain on that last bit. The thing with Sorkin is that he has a habit of reusing certain bits from previous shows. Now if you never see the previous show you wouldn't know but if you have... it feels off.

The second point is that Sorkin shows are almost always character studies rather than event focused. That being the case the first season of any of his shows are rarely that popular. Until you have time to get to know the characters and back story it can be tough to have the connection or appreciation of some of the cool bits.

I don't know if Sorkin's place is broadcast TV though. Shame FX couldn't afford him.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Since Studio 60 isn't around anymore, anybody else getting the urge to watch the first 4 seasons of WW?

It's... it's hittin' me, man. That shit is addictive, like no other.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    yes! But i can't decide if i should watch Sports Night or WW first? Maybe Sports Night because it's more like Studio 60 and has Nate from SFU in it?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    West Wing. Just do it.
    And for godsake, havn't they allready greenlighted the rest of the season?

I have seasons 2 and 4 with me now, my girlfriend has the rest.

So it's a choice between
    President being shot
    or
    Josh and Toby getting stuck in the middle of no-where. And then getting all sentimental

And if I may, swing this to a even more WW related tack, is
    Josh and Toby beating the crap out of each other
    a complete suprise to you guys? We only just got 6 and we're getting 7 at the rate of 2 a week. When I saw it I was like...woaahh...

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    West Wing. Just do it.
    And for godsake, havn't they allready greenlighted the rest of the season?

I have seasons 2 and 4 with me now, my girlfriend has the rest.

So it's a choice between
    President being shot
    or
    Josh and Toby getting stuck in the middle of no-where. And then getting all sentimental
    a tough choice... i'd go with season 2.

edit: oh yeah, and just to clarify, i've already seen all of WW, i meant -rewatch-, since it's so fantastic.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Studio 60 was nice because I got to watch a show based on a parody of SNL. The fact that nothing bad can ever happen is kinda what I liked. The West Wing, on the other hand, has always turned me off because a) politics just makes people angry, especially me, and b) there are enough damn political dramas out there already. To me, it doesn't matter if TWW sets itself apart or not, it will still be what it is.

BTW, I'm sort of intersted in The Black Donnellys, but I just know it's going to suck.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I'm not certain on that last bit. The thing with Sorkin is that he has a habit of reusing certain bits from previous shows. Now if you never see the previous show you wouldn't know but if you have... it feels off.
    By that logic WW was "off" because so much of it was recycled "The American President".

Despite that fact, WW was recieved better than anything else he's ever done. (And don't take it the wrong way, I love them both.)

Maybe his next show should be a courtroom drama.

Sliver on