Options

Studio 60

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yes! But i can't decide if i should watch Sports Night or WW first? Maybe Sports Night because it's more like Studio 60 and has Nate from SFU in it?

Sports night. You can get through it in like three days of watching it in the evening.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sliver wrote: »

I'm not certain on that last bit. The thing with Sorkin is that he has a habit of reusing certain bits from previous shows. Now if you never see the previous show you wouldn't know but if you have... it feels off.
    By that logic WW was "off" because so much of it was recycled "The American President".

Despite that fact, WW was recieved better than anything else he's ever done. (And don't take it the wrong way, I love them both.)

Maybe his next show should be a courtroom drama.

Having never seen "The American President" I wouldn't really know about that. Consider that no matter how much material he cribbed from a movie, that's 2 hours at most.

Can you honestly tell me that you didn't find the "Write a letter while something amazing happens in the background while also coming to grips with the human frailty of a parent" just a little odd when it happened on West Wing? This isn't some small bit of plot but practically the major arc for an entire episode that was recycled. Now I think they're both good but the CJ one felt weird to me because I knew about the Jeremy one.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Studio 60 was nice because I got to watch a show based on a parody of SNL. The fact that nothing bad can ever happen is kinda what I liked. The West Wing, on the other hand, has always turned me off because a) politics just makes people angry, especially me, and b) there are enough damn political dramas out there already. To me, it doesn't matter if TWW sets itself apart or not, it will still be what it is.

BTW, I'm sort of intersted in The Black Donnellys, but I just know it's going to suck.

i just found out: written by Paul Haggis (Crash) !

and why do you think it will suck? the tv.com users are pretty ecstatic over the pilot already...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    Since Studio 60 isn't around anymore, anybody else getting the urge to watch the first 4 seasons of WW?

It's... it's hittin' me, man. That shit is addictive, like no other.
    I've started watching season 2 yesterday. :-)

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You should all not watch The Black Donnellys so we get Studio 60 back quicker.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    You should all not watch The Black Donnellys so we get Studio 60 back quicker.

If it had been set in Boston I'd watch it. New York has an inferior grade of Irish.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Studio 60 was nice because I got to watch a show based on a parody of SNL. The fact that nothing bad can ever happen is kinda what I liked. The West Wing, on the other hand, has always turned me off because a) politics just makes people angry, especially me, and b) there are enough damn political dramas out there already. To me, it doesn't matter if TWW sets itself apart or not, it will still be what it is.

BTW, I'm sort of intersted in The Black Donnellys, but I just know it's going to suck.

and why do you think it will suck? the tv.com users are pretty ecstatic over the pilot already...

Variety certainly did not like it. And a lot of people don't like Haggis either.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

Variety certainly did not like it. And a lot of people don't like Haggis either.

...or the irish...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yeah, and the Oscars gave Crash best picture, too. Doesn't mean it's going to be good.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    i watched 4 episodes of Sports Night so far... and... i don't know... Studio 60 was better from the start. The characters are more lovable in my opinion...

and that stupid laugh track? yeah, i figure it's nothing sorkin wanted, but still...

but it's still the closest to a studio 60 treatment i can get right now, so i guess i'll continue watching - even tough i still see Nate and a desperate Housewife and even their roles/characters are similar so they act similar...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Are you watching season 2? I thought the first season didn't have a laugh track...then the studio later forced him to get one. (As people couldn't tell it was a comedy...cause they're dumb.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    it's not a huge Friends laugh track but there is one, at least in the first episode. but it was kinda subtle, at first i was looking for laughing characters in the background. But i guess there wasn't a lot to put laughs on as the left guy tells his drug excuse or the new guy tells the killing of bambi. so... (Sorry, don't have the names memorized yet)

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Are you watching season 2? I thought the first season didn't have a laugh track...then the studio later forced him to get one. (As people couldn't tell it was a comedy...cause they're dumb.)

I'm pretty certain the laugh track was in the first season, then dropped for the second.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I never watched them in order, so it's quite possible my understanding is screwed up.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the laugh track was terrible. If you're not filming in front of a live audience, you shouldn't have a laugh track.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    especially not in a 30 minute drama series... why would anyone thing this would be a sitcom? or is it gonna get funnier? since now it's all drama stories in 5 episodes...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I'm not certain on that last bit. The thing with Sorkin is that he has a habit of reusing certain bits from previous shows. Now if you never see the previous show you wouldn't know but if you have... it feels off.
    By that logic WW was "off" because so much of it was recycled "The American President".

Despite that fact, WW was recieved better than anything else he's ever done. (And don't take it the wrong way, I love them both.)

Having never seen "The American President" I wouldn't really know about that. Consider that no matter how much material he cribbed from a movie, that's 2 hours at most.

No, that's not "2 hours at the most" that's "4 season at the least". The presidents are both liberal democrats. They both lost the popular vote. Both tried to pass a bill banning firearms. Both took economics in college. Hell they even recycled some of the actors. Martin Sheen was the chief of staff in The American President.

I suggest you watch the movie before passing judgement on how much material was recycled.

Sliver on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

No, that's not "2 hours at the most" that's "4 season at the least". The presidents are both liberal democrats. They both lost the popular vote. Both tried to pass a bill banning firearms. Both took economics in college. Hell they even recycled some of the actors. Martin Sheen was the chief of staff in The American President.

I suggest you watch the movie before passing judgement on how much material was recycled.
    To be fair, the material being reused is really fucking good either way.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    i watched 4 episodes of Sports Night so far... and... i don't know... Studio 60 was better from the start. The characters are more lovable in my opinion...

and that stupid laugh track? yeah, i figure it's nothing sorkin wanted, but still...

but it's still the closest to a studio 60 treatment i can get right now, so i guess i'll continue watching - even tough i still see Nate and a desperate Housewife and even their roles/characters are similar so they act similar...

Four episdoes in is pretty early, give it time. I think it was the episode with the poker game that hooked me completely and that's somewhere near the middle of season 1 if I remember correctly.

And as other mentioned the laugh track goes away.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I'm not referring to using the same settings, that's pretty ludicrous. I'm referring to cribbing plots and events between shows. Only a single one of those things you mentioned is an actual story, the rest is setting. Hell, I don't even mind when he reuses bits and pieces of dialog but redoing whole episodes is mildly annoying. I wouldn't even care about the gun control thing, I suspect since it was a recurring thing on the West Wing and they delved rather deeply into it a few times. I'd be surprised if they represented all the viewpoints they did over the seasons of WW in TAP.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think it was the episode with the poker game that hooked me completely and that's somewhere near the middle of season 1 if I remember correctly.

episode 10, just watched it. and yeah, you were right. i also liked the episode with the letter to "his sister". But i got faster into Studio 60 and was hooked even more, but Sports Night is great. thank you guys. Not that i am not already watching ENOUGH shows atm...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Heh, don't mention it. It was actually just randomly watching that episode back when Comedy Central was playing the episodes late at night that first hooked me. After staying up to watch a few more and finding out that the show was on DVD it was an instant purchase.

Has anyone heard anything more definitive on Studio 60's fate? I just got finished watching the rest of the season so far and I'm horribly addicted now and in great fear.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They were picked up for a full season a while ago, but people don't really know if that's true anymore. I suspect it is. The issue is if there is a next season.

Wiki tells all:
    NBC had ordered a full season (22 episodes), though there were reports they had negotiated a lower license fee with Warner Bros. for the final nine episodes.[2]

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=industryNews&storyID=2006-11-10T043703Z_01_N09237435_RTRIDST_0_INDUSTRY-STUDIO-DC.XML&WTmodLoc=EntNewsIndustry_C1_%5BFeed%5D-4

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I was aware of that much so far, but thanks for the effort.

Back to just hoping they can work something out I guess. :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    status report: finished Sports Night Season 1. awesome show. Do you guys know if it wasn't sure after Season 1 if they get another Season? The Ending of Season 1 feels like it.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't know for sure but it wouldn't suprise me at all. From what I've gathered Sports Night's existence was always rather tenuous because it wasn't performing as well as the network thought it should.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i suppose so too, because of the storyline of season 2 with all the ratings stuff

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sports Night is a wonderful show. That poker episode is great, the exchange between Natalie and Jeremy is fantastic.

The show suffered from not being a comedy or a drama and being a show about a sports show that was really about relationships. So, many women didn't give it a shot and many men thought it would be something else.

And the laugh track was only Season 1.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So here is a strange West Wing question.

Obama = Santos.
    Clinton = "Bingo Bob" Russel?

Or is it just me that sees this.

The West Wing fortold it!

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ok, just finished Sports Night. Love it. thank u guys. BUT I WANT MORE!!

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, Bingo Bob was deffinately a comment on President Bush.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah, it kind of cuts both ways. Everyone I've talked into watching the whole series seems to come to the conclusion of "wtf!? more damnit!" at the end. It's kinda like being given a bar of amazingly delicious chocolate. Then once you finish it being told that you can never ever have any more of it.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah, it kind of cuts both ways. Everyone I've talked into watching the whole series seems to come to the conclusion of "wtf!? more damnit!" at the end. It's kinda like watching Firefly.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yeah, it kind of cuts both ways. Everyone I've talked into watching the whole series seems to come to the conclusion of "wtf!? more damnit!" at the end. It's kinda like watching Firefly.

or Freak and Geeks

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I consider Firefly to be a much worse situation. At least with Sports Night we got 3(ish) seasons to explore and enjoy the greatness of the show and there's at least some sense of closure.

Firefly is just a horrible cocktease. I mean, it's still an amazing show and I love my box set but still, cocktease. I actually ended up yelling at the coworker in the video store I used to work at for introducing me to it.

Then I put the entire thing under my employee picks.

Then I got yelled at by a regular customer for introducing him to it.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    3ish?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    3ish?

Mental hiccup. Mostly due to there being three DVD cases in the boxed set and me not being able to remember where season one ends and season two starts.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So, I'm watching Deadwood again right now while browsing the forums. I just had a startling revelation. Sarah Paulson (Harriet) = nefarious tutor from season 2 of Deadwood. I don't think I'd have ever realized that without watching it again. Kudos to Paulson for doing such a good job in playing two characters who are very different from one another.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    oh crap, now i have to watch Deadwood?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'd reccomend it as a great show but it's not anything similar to Studio 60 or Sports Night.

HappylilElf on