Options

Studio 60

12345679»

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Its on Channel 4 later this month, 20-somethingth I think. Was a bit in the Times a few weeks back that went into how much of it was actually real and how many of the characters are directly based off real people (Jordan Mcdere for one, which suprised me).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Its on Channel 4 later this month, 20-somethingth I think. Was a bit in the Times a few weeks back that went into how much of it was actually real and how many of the characters are directly based off real people (Jordan Mcdere for one, which suprised me).

But that's not fair! I read the Times. How dare they carry news of shows I'm interested in and not announce it in big letters on the cover for my personal benefit?

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    how are the ratings for the "new" episodes? any hope left?

Dunno how reputable E Online is, but...

Bradley Whitford Breaks the "News"

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    should have been an HBO show damnit.

Considering the way it essentially mocked SNL and Loren Michaels in the first few episodes I was really suprised it was on NBC in the first place.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So we have K&R part 2 and the series finale left?

Were these last ones made before they realised they were cancelled, I wonder now if the last episode is the cancellation or whether they will change it so for whatever reason the Studio 60 universe Studio 60 show had to end (burnt down and people move on to other things, someone gets shot etc)

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    According to the wikipedia entries, 60's ratings have been pretty much dead since the second hiatus. No chance of an eleventh hour reprieve unfortunately.

I hope they had a chance to give it a proper final episode, and not just a cliffhanger that was filmed back when a second season was on the cards.

Sumaleth on
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    funny clip.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Errand's FoolErrand's Fool Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sumaleth wrote: »
    According to the wikipedia entries, 60's ratings have been pretty much dead since the second hiatus. No chance of an eleventh hour reprieve unfortunately.

I hope they had a chance to give it a proper final episode, and not just a cliffhanger that was filmed back when a second season was on the cards.

Doubtful, they had six episodes left to film when the announcement got handed down, I've seen writers with less time pull a decent ending out in the end. I just hope they don't try and pull a Jericho and leave the show with a HUGE cliffhanger to get people to support it, because S60 doesn't generate that kind of hardcore fanbase, one, because it's not a sci-fi show, and two...well, if it meets the first criterion, it's set.
    S60 was a damn fine show that took a few episodes to find an actual plotline to latch onto, but once it did I had some real hope for the show, as it drew so many amazing actors around it.

Errand's Fool on
    Due to Earth's polluted atmosphere, Ultraman can only retain his gigantic form for three minutes.
    Time...is running out.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So, the ending of this episode kind of makes me think that these episodes were indeed filmed with the end of the series in mind. Simon's closing tirade made me wince even though I pretty much agree with everything he said.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    I loved it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    it was outstanding. I fell asleep on my uncle's couch and I woke up to him saying he was going to bed, and this was on the tv twenty minutes in. I hadn't seen the week before but I picked up the necessary plot (it helped that the first 20 minutes had seeped into my dreams)... loved it. My feeling was that if I eventually loved West Wing and Sorkin did commentaries I might get the dvd, but that has changed to me looking forward to their release.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    I loved it.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I did too. It still made me wince though because the fallout from that kind of outburst could be huge.
    Like, say, the cancelation of Studio 60? :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's probably because no one fucking told me it was on on Thursdays now, instead of Mondays. It's like these guys wanted this show to fail, or something.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there any place to catch all the episodes, or will I have to wait for the eventual DVD release?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think NBC has them up on their website.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    they did last week, so yeah I'd check there.
    so happy seeing this show again has changed my opinion of it. quality.

that rant was awesome.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    That's probably because no one fucking told me it was on on Thursdays now, instead of Mondays. It's like these guys wanted this show to fail, or something.

They do, it was done and over with before they aired these last episodes. Sorkin's contract had a guarantee in it so they pretty much had to air them or some such.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did this current arc get written after the show's cancellation was final? If so, I anticipate
    Jordan dying, Danny not getting custody, and the K&R team fucking up the military's rescue operation resulting in all hostages and several servicemember dying
    . And the series ends with everyone in various stages of disbelief, and Harriet staring off despondently - faith shattered.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    it's a shame it has to go. these K&R Episodes were really heavy, really good. And i love the chemistry between the actors. I hope Sorkin won't lose interest in TV after that...

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Last episode was just on.
    It wasn't terrible.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    well, i know i cried... and i am not even american.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The last episode was great. I loved it, and I'm after seeing it I'm even more sad that the show isn't coming back. Really sad.

Snork on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That was a pretty classy ending. I'm actually kind of sorry there won't be more episodes, considering I had pretty mixed feelings on the series as a whole.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    <3'd it. Goodbye, Sorkin. See you in a few years.

:(

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That was, by far, the best last episode of a series that I've ever seen and I've watched a decent number of last episodes. It was better than the last episode of M.A.S.H., better than the last episode of Cheers, better than the last episode of Friends. I'd add that it was better tha the last episode of Seinfeld by at least an ocean* but that wouldn't be saying a whole lot. If you want more examples I can provide them, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I'm actually now rabid for a DVD release of this show just so I can get people to watch the series and get to this episode.

*I am now using gallons to measure enjoyment. It's probably best to just not ask questions.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    HappyliElf: i totally agree, but Seinfeld and Friends had like 9 or more years to wrap up in 23minutes, Sorkin had 45 minutes to wrap up one Season. So it's not that fair. ;) But it was a goddamn good ending to a goddamn good show.

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How does this series compare to 30 Rock, the one done by Tina Fey?
    I thought 30 Rock was hilarious and the relationship between Fey and Alec Baldwin made that show.
    I mean I love Sorkin, but I'm hearing that Studio 60 isn't all that funny.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    How does this series compare to 30 Rock, the one done by Tina Fey?
    I thought 30 Rock was hilarious and the relationship between Fey and Alec Baldwin made that show.
    I mean I love Sorkin, but I'm hearing that Studio 60 isn't all that funny.

I haven't seen 30 Rock, but this show's not very funny. The sketches, from the episodes I watched, were all cringe worthy and tried way too hard to seem intelligent. The dialogue was sometimes funny.

In terms of how good of a show it was, a lot of people here seemed to like it. But compared to other Sorkin shows like Sports Night and West Wing, I think it was pretty bad.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This show isn't a flat out comedy, it's a dramatic comedy (so pretty much par for the course as far as Sorkin's shows go). The emphasis isn't on making the audience laugh, it's on making the audience love the characters with amusing dialogue thrown in.

It's a drama that has comedic moments. Basically think of what the middle ground between ER and Scrubs would be. So essentially, if you want something similar to Friends, watch 30 Rock. If you want something similar to Sports Night, watch Studio 60.

Also, I'm not sure what Clevinger is talking about at all since out of all the episodes there are is only a tiny amount of sketches shown. There are a few that are talked about and are integral to the over reaching plot of the season, but not enjoying the sketches is a really weird reason to not enjoy the show since they composed such a tiny portion of it. It's not a sketch comedy show in any sense, it's a dramatic comedy.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This show isn't a flat out comedy, it's a dramatic comedy (so pretty much par for the course as far as Sorkin's shows go). The emphasis isn't on making the audience laugh, it's on making the audience love the characters with amusing dialogue thrown in.

It's a drama that has comedic moments. Basically think of what the middle ground between ER and Scrubs would be. So essentially, if you want something similar to Friends, watch 30 Rock. If you want something similar to Sports Night, watch Studio 60.

Also, I'm not sure what Clevinger is talking about at all since out of all the episodes there are is only a tiny amount of sketches shown. There are a few that are talked about and are integral to the over reaching plot of the season, but not enjoying the sketches is a really weird reason to not enjoy the show since they composed such a tiny portion of it. It's not a sketch comedy show in any sense, it's a dramatic comedy.

Unfortunately, the show within the show is supposed to be flat-out comedy, and it just wasn't funny 90% of the time.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    all the comments on the page love "Friday Night Lights" - never watched that, is it any good?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DVG wrote: »

Unfortunately, the show within the show is supposed to be flat-out comedy, and it just wasn't funny 90% of the time.

I agree wholeheartedly, however since it was obviously referencing SNL (which hasn't managed to get a serious laugh out of me in ages) and the show within the actual show consisted of about 10 minutes throughout the entire season? That realy didn't bother me at all.

My point is that if you watched Studio 60 and were put off by the one or two 30 second montages of skits representing the skits that supposedly took place on the fake show itself (minues the cold open in episode 2 because if you have a sense of humor at all that was fucking golden) you're not getting it. You're not supposed to be watching Studio 60, you're watching the behind the scenes story of the people who are involved in the weekly creation of a fake show titled Studio 60 on an imaginary network called NBS (which is blatantly referencing a real show called SNL on a real network that goes by NBC which has been pretty shitty for a long time now).

In other words to me it's like disliking Clerks because that's not how convenience stores actually work while ignoring the amusing dialogue between the characters in the movie. Now if you found the interaction between the characters in Clerks to be unfunny? That's one thing (personally I'd fall back on the you have no sense of humor thing and just consider you as someone who didn't like it because it's not your cup of tea, so no big deal). But if you ignored the hilariouusly (if unrealistic) dialogue betwen the characters in the movie because you knew the way the convenience/video store are actually run I'd consider that pretty fucking rediculous and I'd dismiss you as an idiot instead of someone who simply has a differing sense of humor.

I agree that skits could have been a lot better but since it was a show that was obviously parodying SNL? The fact that they were medicore at best just added to the whole expereince.

HappylilElf on