As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Video Card Thread(56k go away)

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah the multiplier on the 8200 is 7.5 and the 6600 is 9 i think anyway

Dixon on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    E8400 is the best gaming processor right now

the Q6600 is a better processor for overall gaming.

*but* may I suggest looking at the Q8200. It's basically the Q6600, just on a 45nm part instead of 65nm, should run cooler which should equal more OC potential.

I recently put together a new rig for my dad with a Q8200, and it runs at about 28C idle at stock speeds. Gonna try OC'ing it for him this week while he's away and see what it can do.

hmmm, $225 vs $190. I am a fan of the better architecture, but apparently the Q8200 doesn't have a very good multiplier, which = not very good for overclocking.

On the topic of overclocking, I just remembered I'm on an intel board (and in an mATX case), so overclocking may be a bit tricky. my E6320 idles at around 33-36.

Best find out exactly what board you've got, most of the early mATX 775 mobos were a) crap at overclocking b) not compatible with 45nm or quadcore.

Rook on
  • Options
    TheSinisterMinisterTheSinisterMinister Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    E8400 is the best gaming processor right now

the Q6600 is a better processor for overall gaming.

*but* may I suggest looking at the Q8200. It's basically the Q6600, just on a 45nm part instead of 65nm, should run cooler which should equal more OC potential.

I recently put together a new rig for my dad with a Q8200, and it runs at about 28C idle at stock speeds. Gonna try OC'ing it for him this week while he's away and see what it can do.

hmmm, $225 vs $190. I am a fan of the better architecture, but apparently the Q8200 doesn't have a very good multiplier, which = not very good for overclocking.

On the topic of overclocking, I just remembered I'm on an intel board (and in an mATX case), so overclocking may be a bit tricky. my E6320 idles at around 33-36.

Best find out exactly what board you've got, most of the early mATX 775 mobos were a) crap at overclocking b) not compatible with 45nm or quadcore.

it's the Intel DG33TL. Has quad support.

E: doesn't support 1333mhz FSB on quad cores it looks like, to the Q8200 is out.

TheSinisterMinister on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    heres a stumper (maybe)

whats a good card that can be used for both high quality graphics... a la... whatever is the top notch game that will come out soon
    AND
    whats a good card that is the same card that can help in the movement around 3d space... a la.... CAD, Revit, 3d Max

Barcardi on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I haven't been following the latest cards for the last number of months, and I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade. I am forcing myself to not go over $150, as I really don't need to upgrade(I can play anything out at the moment, just some games not nearly as pretty as I would like). I'm eyeing a Sapphire 4850; Its $140, looks like it would be a nice upgrade from my X1950pro, and I really like Sapphire.

Would there be something that would give me better bang for my buck? Also, I'd like to keep cooling in mind, as my system likes to get hot. Its generally not a problem, but when it starts working really hard for a good amount of time, it sometimes locks up, and its really hot.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hey did my 4870 just blow up? I was running this thing on full power playing HL2 in 103 degree weather.

As soon as i turn the computer on there are crazy grey and green graphical glitches and artifacts. When the computer finally loads up, it BSOD's.

It loads up fine in Safe mode but still with the glitches obscuring the screen.

Is it something else? Something I hate like my mobo hopefully?

In light of this how much of a change to my lifestyle would a new 4850 be?

spidah on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yea, that's likely your 4870. It should still be under warranty so I'd just RMA it. Just a bad chip.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Did you make sure you changed the fan speed on your card?

Dixon on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    spidah wrote: »
    hey did my 4870 just blow up? I was running this thing on full power playing HL2 in 103 degree weather.

My 4870 was overheating until I put one of these on it.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Haven't had a single issue with my 4870 overheating, and I haven't changed a single setting.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    spidahspidah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I put an artic cooling accelero s1 on it with a scythe 120mm fan but I'm thinking poor airflow, the shit heatsinks from the s1 and a couple gaming filled hundred-degree days killed the shit out of it.

Anyone know of any heatsinks i can buy that are better?

spidah on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When I built my computer two years ago I bought an EvGA Geforce 7950GT, thinking that in a year I'd just buy another for half the price and run them in SLI for a year or so.

My face was red when I discovered that I happened to purchase the one EvGA card that they quit making pretty early on, and due to short supply was still selling for full retail price on the secondary market a year later.

So now I'm looking to upgrade to a 9600GT. EvGA, who has been my favorite card manufacturer ever since Diamond became irrelevant, sells this beauty, which seems like one hell of a deal, especially with that mail-in rebate. Thoughts? It really seems like two of these in SLI would be stupidly economical.

Shorty on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    When I built my computer two years ago I bought an EvGA Geforce 7950GT, thinking that in a year I'd just buy another for half the price and run them in SLI for a year or so.

My face was red when I discovered that I happened to purchase the one EvGA card that they quit making pretty early on, and due to short supply was still selling for full retail price on the secondary market a year later.

So now I'm looking to upgrade to a 9600GT. EvGA, who has been my favorite card manufacturer ever since Diamond became irrelevant, sells this beauty, which seems like one hell of a deal, especially with that mail-in rebate. Thoughts? It really seems like two of these in SLI would be stupidly economical.

A 9600GT for $110 AR is a shitty deal, especially when you consider that EVGA has the 9800GT for $105 AR:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130397

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Asus 9800GT Ultimate is $149.99 with a $20 mir. It's basically a 9800GTX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121266

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shorty wrote: »

A 9600GT for $110 AR is a shitty deal, especially when you consider that EVGA has the 9800GT for $105 AR:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130397

It really bugs the crap out of me how two chips in the same series, separated by one digit, will have two completely different architectures.

Now I'm off to Tom's Hardware to do some more research!

Shorty on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haven't had a single issue with my 4870 overheating, and I haven't changed a single setting.

Yea, it was weird. I had Sapphire.

However, after installing it, I run between 58-63cel under FULL LOAD for THREE HOURS with ANY GAME. Totally worth it for $45.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Barcardi wrote: »
    heres a stumper (maybe)

whats a good card that can be used for both high quality graphics... a la... whatever is the top notch game that will come out soon
    AND
    whats a good card that is the same card that can help in the movement around 3d space... a la.... CAD, Revit, 3d Max

Last I checked CAD and the like don't use 3d cards at all. You want a beefy CPU and lots of RAM for that.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have an 8600GTS that I paid $170 for exactly a year ago.

It's worthless now, and runs like crap. What do I upgrade to? I was thinking a 4670, but I guess those haven't entirely been rolled out yet, so the drivers are unstable and hard to find, and they're selling for about $10-$20 higher than the MSRP at the moment.

I like my nVidia card, I just want better performance. When does the 4670 really roll out? Far Cry 2 is out in another two weeks, and I want to be ready for it. Should I skip the 4670 and go with something else entirely? Is there another card in the $90 range that holds up to it?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As I'm getting a 24" monitor in the next couple of days, I have been thinking about upgrading my video card. I currently have a 9600GT that I picked up several months ago and it has served me well on my 17" monitor in every game so far.

However it is clearly not going to cut it at 1920x1200 while playing Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3, so do you guys think a 9800GTX would be acceptable or should I save up and get something faster?

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    9800gtx + would be nice but even then at that resolution it is going to be running hard. Im not sure how it would do I don't play games at that res. Crysis maxed out at the res would be pretty tough what you could go for is an 260gtx

Dixon on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Same here. Have a Club3D card with 1GB of memory. 'Tis nice.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    muzmuz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102715

I'm upgrading from a 256MB Radeon 9800 XT and the Missus is going from Geforce 6200 256MB.

We're on a pretty tight budget and liked the price and shipping, anyone have any reviews on this card for someone that isn't OVERLY tech savvy?

How about the price/performance ratio compared to some other budget cards?

muz on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There are 3870s on there for the exact same price and shipping cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102752

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    muzmuz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Weird, when I ordered them they were $74.99 each and had free shipping. Guess they ended that sale.

3870 > 3850 to the tune of $60?

Edit: I guess I can clarify since I'm not completely tech-savvy. I can troubleshoot 98% of my PC's problems. I'm comfortable swapping out parts on my computer, but I don't know if I could build the whole thing on my own. I understand the basics of what makes some video cards better than others, but I sometimes have a hard time seeing the difference.

I mostly play FPS's (TF2, CS:S), RTS's like Civ4, and I like to dual-box on WoW when my girlfriend is too lazy to level up. Of course I deviate from here, just trying to give an idea what I'm looking for without being too vague. I wouldn't mind in the future hooking up to my HDTV or working as a media center, but I'm not familiar with that yet either.

Also, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770 would the 4850 at $139.99 AR be worth it if I could spend the extra cash? I guess I'm just asking if the difference per dollar would be noticed to someone like me?

muz on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At $75 you got a good deal. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    For $75, should I go with a 3870 or a 4670?

Also, does anyone know when Catalyst 8.10 is out? The 4670s aren't supported by default in ATi's drivers yet. Also, are the Catalyst drivers still kinda shitty compared to nVidia's?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Also, does anyone know when Catalyst 8.10 is out? The 4670s aren't supported by default in ATi's drivers yet. Also, are the Catalyst drivers still kinda shitty compared to nVidia's?

Generally; no. Ati drivers are pretty great now.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Generally; no. Ati drivers are pretty great now.

I'd get the 4670, and ya, ATI's drivers are on par, or better than nVidia.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Having a little hardware trouble with my media pc... I bought two video cards recently, one a HD4870 for my desktop, and the other a HD3450 for the media pc. Both are Club3D brand, which I've bought from before. Now, the media pc was connected via a vga cable from onboard graphic chip to a Mirai HDTV. With the DVI-HDMI adapter I received with my 4870, we figured we could connect the media pc up to the tv using a HDMI cable with the new HD3450.

And so we did that, and the video side of it is fine, but... we're not getting any sound. Some research into the topic had me finding that the required ATi HDMI audio device was not showing up in Windows. Cue some driver downloading from Realtek, and still nothing appeared on the Device Manager. No dice. I fired off an e-mail to Club3D about the HDMI adapter that came with the 4870 - does it carry audio? Club3D says it does, and they're confused about why the ATi HDMI device is not showing up. A few more random driver tests and it finally does show up in the device manager, and I immediately install the specific drivers for that from Realtek. It seemed to install fine and before I reset like it asked me to, I checked the device manager and yup, everything looked as it should.

Reset. No HDMI audio device found in the device manager. Wtf is going on?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, the 4850 is a significant improvement over the 3870.

I think I'd go for a 4850, but if I was spending $100 I'd get a 4670, it performs about the same as the other cards, but it uses less power.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rohan wrote: »
    Having a little hardware trouble with my media pc... I bought two video cards recently, one a HD4870 for my desktop, and the other a HD3450 for the media pc. Both are Club3D brand, which I've bought from before. Now, the media pc was connected via a vga cable from onboard graphic chip to a Mirai HDTV. With the DVI-HDMI adapter I received with my 4870, we figured we could connect the media pc up to the tv using a HDMI cable with the new HD3450.

And so we did that, and the video side of it is fine, but... we're not getting any sound. Some research into the topic had me finding that the required ATi HDMI audio device was not showing up in Windows. Cue some driver downloading from Realtek, and still nothing appeared on the Device Manager. No dice. I fired off an e-mail to Club3D about the HDMI adapter that came with the 4870 - does it carry audio? Club3D says it does, and they're confused about why the ATi HDMI device is not showing up. A few more random driver tests and it finally does show up in the device manager, and I immediately install the specific drivers for that from Realtek. It seemed to install fine and before I reset like it asked me to, I checked the device manager and yup, everything looked as it should.

I read about this. There's a conflict between the HDMI audio drivers from the card and the realtek drivers on the board. You have to go into your bios. There will be a setting on whether to use onboard audio or peripheral audio; it will probably be set to "AUTO" if neither is working. Disable the onboard completely if you want the HDMI audio to work; set it to "ON" instead of auto if you want the onboard to work instead of the HDMI.

Either way, I don't think you can have both at once, so you'll be getting your audio exclusively through your TV or exclusively through the PC speakers you already have set up.

So, in summary, go into your BIOS and make sure your onboard sound is completely turned off, then uninstall your realtek drivers.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yes, the 4850 is a significant improvement over the 3870.

I think I'd go for a 4850, but if I was spending $100 I'd get a 4670, it performs about the same as the other cards, but it uses less power.

I'm waiting for the Catalyst 8.10 release, because the 8.9 driver that's currently out doesn't officially support the newer units in the HD4000 series, and I've read about a lot of issues with them at the moment because of it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was looking forward to purchasing a 4870 but I was worried about one thing. My mobo is this. Now, I know the card requires a PCI-E slot, but I was wondering about the slot versions. I'm not really sure if this mobo 1.0a or 1.1. I've read about some issues with PCI-E 2.0 and the former, I was just wondering if it is backwards compatible and I'm worrying for nothing.

What on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You don't have anything to worry about.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I read about this. There's a conflict between the HDMI audio drivers from the card and the realtek drivers on the board. You have to go into your bios. There will be a setting on whether to use onboard audio or peripheral audio; it will probably be set to "AUTO" if neither is working. Disable the onboard completely if you want the HDMI audio to work; set it to "ON" instead of auto if you want the onboard to work instead of the HDMI.

Either way, I don't think you can have both at once, so you'll be getting your audio exclusively through your TV or exclusively through the PC speakers you already have set up.

So, in summary, go into your BIOS and make sure your onboard sound is completely turned off, then uninstall your realtek drivers.

Tried that, just getting the same thing... no HDMI audio device showing up in the Device Manager, and now there's no sound at all because the onboard sound is disabled >_>

Rohan on

• Options
    edited October 2008

Tried that, just getting the same thing... no HDMI audio device showing up in the Device Manager, and now there's no sound at all because the onboard sound is disabled >_>

Did you reinstall the ATi drivers afterwards?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

...no. Going to do that now, bear with me!

Also, for anyone who's interested, turning the fan speed on my 4870 using the common fix to 35 brought the temps down from 75c when idle to around 47c when idle... any speed above 50 is far too loud for me, I have no idea how people use 65 and say it isn't loud!

Rohan on

• Options
    edited October 2008

...no. Going to do that now, bear with me!

Also, for anyone who's interested, turning the fan speed on my 4870 using the common fix to 35 brought the temps down from 75c when idle to around 47c when idle... any speed above 50 is far too loud for me, I have no idea how people use 65 and say it isn't loud!

Are you using the beta 8.10 drivers?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, 8.9, I didn't know the 8.10's were available as betas yet?

Rohan on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    No, 8.9, I didn't know the 8.10's were available as betas yet?

They are, they have built-in fan speed control that I guess is kinda wonky at the moment, and they have a couple fixes for the 4000 series, I'm told.

HadjiQuest on