As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Video Card Thread(56k go away)

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Acutally an 8600gt is leaps and bounds better then a 7300gt. Like you can play crysis with an 8600gt at 1000x700 res on all med settings. A 7300gt would most likely implode if you tried

Dixon on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

24-hour sale

$99 after mail in rebate and promo code EMCAJBCAH.

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102715&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081208&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081208-_-VideoCards-_-L7B-_-14102715

$69 after $15 mail in rebate and promo code EMCAJBCAG

Craziness. $70 for a card that nice.

I meh at that. the 8800GT is a much better card and can be found for $100 on sales.

8800GT is a slightly better card(Up to 20% at most, but usually less), and I've yet to see it for less than $120.

Still, the 3850 looks like an incredible budget card. $70 gets you playing just about every game out at high settings(except crysis, but thats crysis).

the 3850 might be able to play games at high settings but only at low resolutions... my guess is 800x600 or 1280x1024. anything higher and it will probably crap itself.

The 3850 is better than my card(an X1950 pro), and I play games like TF2, CoD4, etc, at high or highest settings at 1680x1050.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The 3850 is better than my card(an X1950 pro), and I play games like TF2, CoD4, etc, at high or highest settings at 1680x1050.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/call_of_duty_4_demo_performance/page4.asp

says you should be getting about 27 fps... and btw the 8600GT is WORSE than the 1950 pro. i think you are thinking of the 8800GT

btw the 4870x2 apparantly snuck in while i wasnt looking and is available at newegg.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I run CoD4 at only high textures instead of highest, and like 2AA/4AF.

And I didn't mention any nvidia cards, so :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I run CoD4 at only high textures instead of highest, and like 2AA/4AF.

And I didn't mention any nvidia cards, so :P

oops lol, i got caught up making dinner while i had my reply half typed so i got my posts messed up.

sorry bought that one

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is my computer: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-compaq-presario-sr1620nx/4505-3118_7-31589079.html

It's a pretty shitty one, I know. Right now I have a GeForce Nvidia 6600, and I used the computer to play mostly Half-Life mods (1.6, DoD, etc), and nothing really graphic intense. I played TF2 for a few months, and I get about 10-20 fps. It's time I upgrade my computer (more ram, fan is going dead, etc), and I think if I can find a cheap video card that will fit in my computer, I'll go for it.

Can anyone recommend anything? I don't think I'm going to be buying a new computer very soon, and if I do, it's going to be a laptop, so I might as well upgrade this one and keep it going. I really don't play any other games that much, if I can get a stable 40-50 fps in TF2 I'd be happy.

Thanks.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is my computer: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-compaq-presario-sr1620nx/4505-3118_7-31589079.html

It's a pretty shitty one, I know. Right now I have a GeForce Nvidia 6600, and I used the computer to play mostly Half-Life mods (1.6, DoD, etc), and nothing really graphic intense. I played TF2 for a few months, and I get about 10-20 fps. It's time I upgrade my computer (more ram, fan is going dead, etc), and I think if I can find a cheap video card that will fit in my computer, I'll go for it.

Can anyone recommend anything? I don't think I'm going to be buying a new computer very soon, and if I do, it's going to be a laptop, so I might as well upgrade this one and keep it going. I really don't play any other games that much, if I can get a stable 40-50 fps in TF2 I'd be happy.

Thanks.

TL;DR on that system for anyone here is that it's a single-core Sempron 2GHz with 512MB of regular DDR.

Your motherboard can only take DDR1 - which is expensive, hard to find, and slow.
    Your CPU is slow, short on L2 cache, and single-core.
    Your video card is probably nearing the limits of what the PSU in that Compaq can handle.

If you can find a cheap way to get to 1GB of RAM, you might be able to hit 20-30fps in TF2 by reducing your graphical detail to "Utter Shit" - but my honest suggestion is "Don't upgrade; replace it entirely."

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to add more ram so it's going to be at least 2 gigs.

I'm not that computer savvy, so let me see what you're trying to say:

"My computer is too shitty to even get a better video card because my computer won't be able to to use it to it's full potential."

That makes me sad but oh well.

Will this work with my computer? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130313
    The price is all right, and it seems like my computer can take it. Again, I'm not that smart on computers.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, this is my "last" computer. I'm moving far far away in a year, so if I buy anything, it's going to be a laptop. If I do buy another computer, it's going to be sometime 5-7 years in the future.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to add more ram so it's going to be at least 2 gigs.

"My computer is too shitty to even get a better video card because my computer won't be able to to use it to it's full potential."

That makes me sad but oh well.

Will this work with my computer? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130313
    The price is all right, and it seems like my computer can take it. Again, I'm not that smart on computers.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, this is my "last" computer. I'm moving far far away in a year, so if I buy anything, it's going to be a laptop. If I do buy another computer, it's going to be sometime 5-7 years in the future.

technically yes that will probably work

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Pretty much, yeah. With a side serving of "You'll be wasting money."
    I differentiate on desktop/laptop, not "computer"/laptop - so I didn't mean get a new desktop machine. Get a new laptop - and as long as you pick something with an 8400M/HD3450 or better, you'll likely have a far better gaming experience than on your desktop.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    (delete this message, no idea wtf happened.)

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Pretty much, yeah. With a side serving of "You'll be wasting money."
    I differentiate on desktop/laptop, not "computer"/laptop - so I didn't mean get a new desktop machine. Get a new laptop - and as long as you pick something with an 8400M/HD3450 or better, you'll likely have a far better gaming experience than on your desktop.

Mmmm. I see. My next laptop is going to be a Macbook though, and I'm not sure how well Macs can handle TF2.

My questions have been answered. Thank you.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mmmm. I see. My next laptop is going to be a Macbook though, and I'm not sure how well Macs can handle TF2.

Regular Macbook, poorly - they've got the Intel X3100, and even if they use the X4500 in the next-gen Macbook Intel GPUs are still shit.
    Macbook Pro - quite well, the current model has an 8600GT and the next will probably have either a 9-series iteration or a Radeon HD3650.

That requires using BootCamp of course, because "gaming" + "OSX" = "epic lulz"

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Regular Macbook, poorly - they've got the Intel X3100, and even if they use the X4500 in the next-gen Macbook Intel GPUs are still shit.
    Macbook Pro - quite well, the current model has an 8600GT and the next will probably have either a 9-series iteration or a Radeon HD3650.

epic lulz indeed

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

epic lulz indeed

Bungiethefutureofmacgamingteeshirt.jpg

Just an FYI, for those of you who don't know, that's a picture of a vintage shirt with about 8 or so game developer's company logos on a shirt, and in the middle was Oni and a Bungie logo and on the top it said "The future of Mac Gaming!"

Quite ironic.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I may be coming into 2-4 hundred bucks fairly soon and am thinking of upgrading from my 8800GTS. I'm thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 260. PC Gamer just reviewed it and gave it a 94%, they also reviewed the Radeon HD 4870 and gave it a 92%. It was really a tossup performance wise, the 260 did better in some games and the 4870 did better in others. The edge came for the 260 with the CUDA support.

Any recommendations or comments? As of now I'm eying that GTX 260.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Meh, the 4870 is still in beta drivers. I'm one for performence, and I'm rooting for the Radeon.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130370

What do you guys think? Question though, are all the 260s the same? I mean I know tons of different manufacturers make their own versions, and some are way more expensive or way cheaper than others. Is that their own pricing or is there significantly different features on some of them?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I still think the 4870 is better value than the 260. But if the 260 runs the games you play better than the 4870, go for it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I still think the 4870 is better value than the 260. But if the 260 runs the games you play better than the 4870, go for it.

Well I have an Nvidia mobo too.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also has anyone tried those PhysX drivers for the the nvidia drivers?
    I just played those UT3 PhysX maps with both sets of drivers and the newer drivers helped a shit ton. It was pretty impressive, it didn't make much difference in regular maps. I'm going to try crysis to as I got dips in FPS when a lot of shit was happening on screen, expecially that part with the mountain breaking down. That whole section of the game wasn't pre-rendered either so it was a real strain on the computer. It would be interesting to see what difference it makes.

Dixon on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Will the new PhysX drivers need a second card to do physics processing or can it just use unused resources from a single card?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Will the new PhysX drivers need a second card to do physics processing or can it just use unused resources from a single card?

No, nvidia has absorbed PhysX and is applying the technology to it's drivers to retroactively boost its released cards. The physical technology should be applied to newer gen cards, as well.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

No, nvidia has absorbed PhysX and is applying the technology to it's drivers to restroactively boost its released cards. The physical technology should be applied to newer gen cards, as well.

Oh, yes, I know that.

To further explain my point: I meant do you need a second video card in order to use the PhysX function of the drivers, or will unused resources from one card (I only have one 8800GT in my system) be used to calculate physics code?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

No, nvidia has absorbed PhysX and is applying the technology to it's drivers to restroactively boost its released cards. The physical technology should be applied to newer gen cards, as well.

Oh, yes, I know that.

To further explain my point: I meant do you need a second video card in order to use the PhysX function of the drivers, or will unused resources from one card (I only have one 8800GT in my system) be used to calculate physics code?

You shouldn't need another card.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So can I really get an 8800GT for as little as the OP says? Because that would be super awesome.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    So can I really get an 8800GT for as little as the OP says? Because that would be super awesome.

Wanna buy my BGF (24/7 free tech support, real lifetime warranty) 8800GT OC2(Factory overclocked and garunteed to run at 675mhz clock speed).

It is sublime, but I really could use an 280 GTX.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130370

What do you guys think? Question though, are all the 260s the same? I mean I know tons of different manufacturers make their own versions, and some are way more expensive or way cheaper than others. Is that their own pricing or is there significantly different features on some of them?

Some of them have different return policies, different warranties (BFG tech has the best, with a true lifetime (yours) warranty), and some may even opt to overclock the clock speeds and offer different goodies in the boxes. In addition to having sexy cover art.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Wanna buy my BGF (24/7 free tech support, real lifetime warranty) 8800GT OC2(Factory overclocked and garunteed to run at 675mhz clock speed).

It is sublime, but I really could use an 280 GTX.
    I don't really know what all of that meant but how much?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Some of them have different return policies, different warranties (BFG tech has the best, with a true lifetime (yours) warranty), and some may even opt to overclock the clock speeds and offer different goodies in the boxes. In addition to having sexy cover art.

Actually, EVGA has a far superior warranty. Like BFG, it supports overclocking, promotes any modifications done (yes, they'll do an RMA for YOU messing up on your installation of a custom heatsink), and has a DOUBLE life-time warranty - meaning its really for life, and if you ever sell it, the warranty transfers over to the new owner as well...something not many 3rd party companies can account for.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just wondering. Will my new 580W PSU be enough to run an OC 8800? I think it will, but I wanna make sure before I cook my machine :P

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Helloween wrote: »
    Just wondering. Will my new 580W PSU be enough to run an OC 8800? I think it will, but I wanna make sure before I cook my machine :P

Most likely, but post your 12V specs (amps, number of rails) anyways.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    anyone here got a 4870x2? im curious about it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah the PhysX runs off of a single card, it is pretty sick. Not to sure how it works but it is a pretty neat feature. Yeah and EVGA has a far superior warranty

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well I just lucked my way into a Superclocked 260 from EVGA. I found someone to buy my old PC and he'll give me a straight up trade of my old PC for a brand new sealed 260.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Ah no worries. It works fine :D

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Ah no worries. It works fine :D

Awesome, now you'll be able to bump the resolution up on Call of Cthoh wait :P

Unrelated news that most people initially won't care about due to lol midrange, but specs on the RV730 (HD4670 and HD4650) just got leaked.

The RV730 has 320 stream processors, but only a 128-bit memory bus. Yeah, yeah. "Boo!" and whatnot. Keep reading.

The HD4670 is going to perform about at the level of the old HD3850, and the HD4650 a little less. "So?"

The power draw of the HD4670 is 59W. That means no external PCIe power is needed. "Wait, what?"

All ye who hath poor PSUs, Dells, and store-bought systems, I give you your upgrade card.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wait does that mean I would need an external power supply if I wanted to get an old 8800GT?

I know almost nothing of graphics cards. Someone clear this up.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait does that mean I would need an external power supply if I wanted to get an old 8800GT?

I know almost nothing of graphics cards. Someone clear this up.

your power supply would have to have one of these(just one of the 6pin connectors, not both):

6-pin.jpg

If it doesn't, you can't use an 8800GT.

A lot of pre-built machines don't have something like that, which is a PITA for people wanting to upgrade.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    if you don't have a 6 pin pcie you can probably get away with one of these though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201004

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin