As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Video Card Thread(56k go away)

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the cards you should be getting in certain pricepoints:

$120 - 8800GT/9800GT
    $200 - 9800GTX+(not GTX) or HD 4850
    $250 - GTX260

$300ish - HD 4870(in the area of $280)

Oh hi, I updated. Not counting main-in rebates either, those can put the HD4850 down to the $170-$180 range.

in all reality the 4850 will still cost you about 150, the 8800GT can be had for around 100 and the 4870 for maybe 250-275. right now its the 4850 vs 9800GTX+ and the 4870 vs GTX260

at the top end you have the GTX280 vs 4870x2 for what 500?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    techacolyte42techacolyte42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is direct X 10 backwards compatable with prior generations?
    Could I still run Starcraft and Morrowind?

What card(s) should I get to have decent longevity and a beautiful experience?
    Crossfire/SLI accepted, no budget yet (I'm still in fantasyland)

Thanks

techacolyte42 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Peace on Earth and Flamethrowers for all mankind!!!!
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is direct X 10 backwards compatable with prior generations?
    Could I still run Starcraft and Morrowind?

What card(s) should I get to have decent longevity and a beautiful experience?
    Crossfire/SLI accepted, no budget yet (I'm still in fantasyland)

Thanks

Dude I answered your question already. Read up.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Please don't double post.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Go away. I don't want to hlep you any more if you can't read.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I have a couple foolish questions. I'm trying to put together a machine at the moment, nothing huge, but decent enough to play Warhammer and some of the other more recent power hungry games (Crysis, Stalker, etc). I'm not a total FPS whore, but ya know, I don't want it to crawl, either.

I'm guessing that the 4850 isn't going to be a heavy duty gaming card, but it seems like something that might last me a few months until I can afford to pick something up with a bit more power.

But then I was remembering that you can use older nvidia cards essentially as a secondary physics processor, and that left me wondering. Is there a comparable card out or coming from nvidia? Is it even worth worrying about as a secondary card in the first place (does their physics stuff even work that well/is it even really being used)?

Thanks for the input guys.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Actually thanks to nvidia and physX now one company, they have released drivers for the 8800series and higher that allow you to play games that had physX requriements. I can download and play UT3's PhysX maps for example with just my 8800GT. There is a performance hit, but hey, I can do it.

If I were you, I would just save up just a tiny bit more and then pick up this card. It will handle Crysis very well and will definitely handle Warhammer with great ease.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133229&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-133-229-_-Homepage

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone have a 7600 and use it for dual monitors? I'm having trouble with this. I have both monitors plugged in, but when I go to setup the displays, I'm only given a few options. I can either have them as a stretched out horizontal or vertical display. I'm not seeing any way to have them act act separate monitors. Any help?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Actually thanks to nvidia and physX now one company, they have released drivers for the 8800series and higher that allow you to play games that had physX requriements. I can download and play UT3's PhysX maps for example with just my 8800GT. There is a performance hit, but hey, I can do it.

If I were you, I would just save up just a tiny bit more and then pick up this card. It will handle Crysis very well and will definitely handle Warhammer with great ease.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133229&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-133-229-_-Homepage

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130372&Tpk=Geforce%20260%20superclocked
    Get this instead, better card, better reviews, EVGA, and well with the 40 dollar rebate you won't get the same price but pretty damn close.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bought a 9800 GTX+ today.

This one.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ack, why? The 4850 is cheaper.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

[ ] Lifetime warranty
    [ ] PhysX/CUDA
    [ ] Dual-slot cooler
    [ ] NVIDIA-specific games
    [ ] Runs BSD
    [ ] Shiny black housing

Pick any or all of the above of various reasons stated to me for the 9800GTX+ choice.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

[ ] Lifetime warranty
    [ ] PhysX/CUDA
    [ ] Dual-slot cooler
    [ ] Runs BSD
    [ ] Shiny black housing

Pick any or all of the above of various reasons stated to me for the 9800GTX+ choice.

I'll give you points 1 and 2.(although the "value" of PhysX is debatable.

If the 4850 needed a dual slot cooler, it would have one, Sure, there are nVidia specific games, but it's not like ATI cards won't work with those games. There are also games built for ATI cards first, so that goes both ways. Runs BSD? You actually think that an ATI card won't display a picture if you install BSD? Seriously? fwiw, ATI has better opensource drivers than nVidia. I'm taking shiny black housing as a joke.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2008

[ ] Lifetime warranty
    [ ] PhysX/CUDA
    [ ] Dual-slot cooler
    [ ] Runs BSD
    [ ] Shiny black housing

If the 4850 needed a dual slot cooler, it would have one, Sure, there are nVidia specific games, but it's not like ATI cards won't work with those games. There are also games built for ATI cards first, so that goes both ways. Runs BSD? You actually think that an ATI card won't display a picture if you install BSD? Seriously? fwiw, ATI has better opensource drivers than nVidia. I'm taking shiny black housing as a joke.

Just in case it wasn't clear the first time. :P

Counterpoints: The HD4850 still runs goddamn hot; and while it's true that it doesn't need a dual-slot cooler, it would really be much better to dump that heat out of the case rather than back into it. Some people don't mind running binary drivers, and last I checked NVIDIA > ATI in that market. And yes, some people do care about a shiny black housing, especially those who put windows in their case, use UV lighting, and CCFLs.

And IMO the lifetime warranty is almost reason enough on its own, since the last time I sent in a "lifetime" warrantied card I got a two-generation-newer card as a return. :)

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

[ ] Lifetime warranty
    [ ] PhysX/CUDA
    [ ] Dual-slot cooler
    [ ] Runs BSD
    [ ] Shiny black housing

Just in case it wasn't clear the first time. :P

Counterpoints: The HD4850 still runs goddamn hot; and while it's true that it doesn't need a dual-slot cooler, it would really be much better to dump that heat out of the case rather than back into it. Some people don't mind running binary drivers, and last I checked NVIDIA > ATI in that market. And yes, some people do care about a shiny black housing, especially those who put windows in their case, use UV lighting, and CCFLs.

And IMO the lifetime warranty is almost reason enough on its own, since the last time I sent in a "lifetime" warrantied card I got a two-generation-newer card as a return. :)

Lifetime warranty is the manufacturer, not ATi. Look at any of ATi's other manufactuerers and they'll have similar warranties. Secondly, ATi's open drivers are superior to nvidia, and have been for awhile. I'll give you the heat thing, though. Don't kid yourself if happen you think 9800GTX+ is better than the 4850, though. Now, if I'm jumping the gun here, and you just decided to get the 9800GTX+ because you like dit more, not because you "think" it's the superior card, then fine, pick whichever one you want.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe you just said ATI's drivers are superior thats like an oxymoron. All for the point towards games specfically built for one manufacturer or the other its like 10 nvidia games for every 1 ati game. Also the EVGA warranty as stated before allows you to modify the the card and OC it without nullifying the warranty.

The phys-x thing is also pretty awesome

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lifetime warranty is the manufacturer, not ATi. Look at any of ATi's other manufactuerers and they'll have similar warranties. Secondly, ATi's open drivers are superior to nvidia, and have been for awhile. I'll give you the heat thing, though. Don't kid yourself if happen you think 9800GTX+ is better than the 4850, though. Now, if I'm jumping the gun here, and you just decided to get the 9800GTX+ because you like dit more, not because you "think" it's the superior card, then fine, pick whichever one you want.

I only managed to find the Visiontek HD4850 with a lifetime warranty, whereas BFG, EVGA, and XFX all offer lifetimes on NVIDIA products. Might be just a market thing here, but it's a lot harder to find ATI cards with lifetime warranties for me. :(

Open != binary. Some people couldn't give a fuck less about open source, and will just run drivers that work.

And don't make me allcaps, italicize, underline, and lime the "things people have said to me" line.

I have a 6600GT.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    I can't believe you just said ATI's drivers are superior thats like an oxymoron. All for the point towards games specfically built for one manufacturer or the other its like 10 nvidia games for every 1 ati game. Also the EVGA warranty as stated before allows you to modify the the card and OC it without nullifying the warranty.

Yea, maybe in ATI's 9000 through 2000 series lines, but ever since the advent of 3850 and beyond, ATIs have been superior.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I only managed to find the Visiontek HD4850 with a lifetime warranty, whereas BFG, EVGA, and XFX all offer lifetimes on NVIDIA products. Might be just a market thing here, but it's a lot harder to find ATI cards with lifetime warranties for me. :(

Open != binary. Some people couldn't give a fuck less about open source, and will just run drivers that work.

And don't make me allcaps, italicize, underline, and lime the "things people have said to me" line.

I have a 6600GT.

You really dont' follow linux drivers very much do you? ATi about 18 months ago completely open sourced their entire linux driver architechure, so the official ATi binaries are actually written mostly by the community, and just packaged up by ATi, and work at lot better than the ones nVidia makes.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I have a 6600GT.

You really dont' follow linux drivers very much do you? ATi about 18 months ago completely open sourced their entire linux driver architechure, so the official ATi binaries are actually written mostly by the community, and just packaged up by ATi, and work at lot better than the ones nVidia makes.

Finally, THANK YOU! No one's saying one company is better than the other, both make fantastic cards and NEED eachother to survive. After all, they work better under conditions of competition. But open drivers > closed.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe you just said ATI's drivers are superior thats like an oxymoron.

Are you kidding? Ati had TERRIBLE drivers back in the X800-X2900 days, but ever since AMD bought ATi their drivers are about 1000x better, and are much better than nVidia's.

the Catalyst Control Center could use some work, but the drivers themselves are much more stable than nVidia's current offerings.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can't believe you just said ATI's drivers are superior thats like an oxymoron.

Are you kidding? Ati had TERRIBLE drivers back in the X800-X2900 days, but ever since AMD bought ATi their drivers are about 1000x better, and are much better than nVidia's.

the Catalyst Control Center could use some work, but the drivers themselves are much more stable than nVidia's current offerings.

We should be tech buddies.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you use component video out (which I understand is a vanishingly small segment of the market), ATI's drivers are infinitely better than nVidia's, and I say this having used both (since I just moved from a 7600GT to a HD4850).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

<blatant troll> No, after all the time it takes to shave, shower, play games, work, and have sex with girls, I don't have much time for Linux. </blatant troll>

Seriously, I don't have much use for Linux/BSD on a desktop, so I have no clue that they'd actually advanced beyond functional 2D support since the last time I tried building a MythTV box and it shat itself all over the Radeon I had at the time.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

We should be tech buddies.

<3

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

<blatant troll> No, after all the time it takes to shave, shower, play games, work, and have sex with girls, I don't have much time for Linux. </blatant troll>

Seriously, I don't have much use for Linux/BSD on a desktop, so I have no clue that they'd actually advanced beyond functional 2D support since the last time I tried building a MythTV box and it shat itself all over the Radeon I had at the time.

I don't actually even use linux myself anymore either. I have lots of sex, and I shower every day. But it doesn't mean that I don't read news.

EDIT: hmmm, that came off much more troll-ish than I intended it to be. I didn't mean it to be that way. I just like to keep up on tech news, whether I actively use that tech or not.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I bought the NVidia because I prefer nvidia cards? And I bought an XFX because my motherboard is XFX (I know it doesn't matter), and its just kind of a brand loyalty thing. I have had problems from time to time with lots of other companies and brands but XFX has always been good to me.

I know that ATI probably has a comparable card in the same price range, but I know that the 9800GTX + is a bad-ass card and there might be an ATI card out there that has 3% better performance or some shit or take up less space in my tower, blah blah blah.

But really, for the most part. I like XFX, I use XFX, I like NVidia, so I bought the card.

So after my new card gets installed I'm going to have:

XFX 680i LT Board
    C2D E6750 (2.6Ghz 1333fsb)
    4gb PC6400 (800) Ram
    XFX 9800GTX+

I am upgrading from 2 8600s on SLI.

From what I hear I should see a big performance increase.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I bought the NVidia because I prefer nvidia cards? And I bought an XFX because my motherboard is XFX (I know it doesn't matter), and its just kind of a brand loyalty thing. I have had problems from time to time with lots of other companies and brands but XFX has always been good to me.

I know that ATI probably has a comparable card in the same price range, but I know that the 9800GTX + is a bad-ass card and there might be an ATI card out there that has 3% better performance or some shit or take up less space in my tower, blah blah blah.

But really, for the most part. I like XFX, I use XFX, I like NVidia, so I bought the card.

Yea, everything me and wunderbear said was more or less for PeregrineFalcon, and less for you. Buy what you want, it's your money.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I bought a 9800 GTX+ today.

This one.

Hey I got that one too! High five.

artoo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yea, everything me and wunderbear said was more or less for PeregrineFalcon, and less for you. Buy what you want, it's your money.

And the majority of the argument was over the Linux drivers, which no self-respecting gamer would be using anyways, so it's irrelevant.

:P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

And the majority of the argument was over the Linux drivers, which no self-respecting gamer would be using anyways, so it's irrelevant.

:P

Not Linux (though it some how went there, after the comment on "open drivers"), but rather ATi drivers post 2000XT series in general. Which are superior to Nvidia's after they had an entire driver swap thanks to AMD's lead driver team.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I always run one rig with an ATI card and one with an nVidia card, similarly to how I also run one AMD and one Intel rig. This lets me cover the most ground for fixing peoples shit and knowing what compatibility issues exist with what.

So, just for the record, let me state very clearly that today there is no considerable driver difference between ATI and nVidia. Frankly, ATI hasn't deserved the 'bad driver' moniker since putting out the original Radeon, which had drivers that positively glowed with adequacy. Since then, the drivers have only improved. Today I can't find much to complain about from either company.

You do not need an nVidia card for your Intel rig. You do not need an ATI card for your AMD rig. Buy the card that plays the games you want to play best at the price you want to pay.

My 4850 runs at 43C btw. I did consider the 90C idle at default fan settings to be pretty ridiculous (as an overclocker,) but it's easy to change your fan settings (even if you only want your fan on high during games.)

Yeah, I hate having to buy an nVidia video card to play nVidia games and ATI cards for ATI games. If only there were, I don't know, some universal 3d hardware APIs to ensure general compatibility. That'll be the day!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So upgrading from 2x SLI - 8600GTs (256mb) to 1 9800GTX+ (512mb)

Think I'll notice a difference?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh yes for sure.

artoo on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I am building a new computer, and I am a total nvidia fanboy forever (this stems from a bad experience where I went to play a game and got a message box "oh you have ATI, we dont support it, you cant play our game"). While I am not heavily committed anymore, I was thinking for a new gaming pc i would need a 260. Can anyone make a recomendation for 200-300$ otherwise? This looked like an awesome card to me.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So I am building a new computer, and I am a total nvidia fanboy forever (this stems from a bad experience where I went to play a game and got a message box "oh you have ATI, we dont support it, you cant play our game").
    I have never heard of this happening anywhere. What game are you talking about?
    While I am not heavily committed anymore, I was thinking for a new gaming pc i would need a 260. Can anyone make a recomendation for 200-300$ otherwise? This looked like an awesome card to me.
    In that price range? Radeon HD 4870.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So I am building a new computer, and I am a total nvidia fanboy forever (this stems from a bad experience where I went to play a game and got a message box "oh you have ATI, we dont support it, you cant play our game"). While I am not heavily committed anymore, I was thinking for a new gaming pc i would need a 260. Can anyone make a recomendation for 200-300$ otherwise? This looked like an awesome card to me.

I would go with this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150308

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I am building a new computer, and I am a total nvidia fanboy forever (this stems from a bad experience where I went to play a game and got a message box "oh you have ATI, we dont support it, you cant play our game").
    While I am not heavily committed anymore, I was thinking for a new gaming pc i would need a 260. Can anyone make a recomendation for 200-300$ otherwise? This looked like an awesome card to me.

For sure it was a WWII based FPS, I want to say call of duty 2, but I could be wrong.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

For sure it was a WWII based FPS, I want to say call of duty 2, but I could be wrong.

I'll guess BattleField 2, and I'll guess that it's because you tried playing it on something that didn't meet VS/PS 1.4 requirements.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Battlefield 2 and CoD2 worked just fine on my old Mobility Radeon 9700.

edit: some games started coming out that required specific versions of pixel/vertex shaders, sure, but that would affect older nVidia cards just as easily as older ATi cards.

Daedalus on