As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Top Ten Neglected NES Games?

13»

• rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I loved A Boy and His Blob, they really need to update that sort of gameplay for the current gens.

Linky

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard
    rqv6.png
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    This smells kinda like a poll thread...

I would say a thread that's purpose is, in part, to introduce good games that ought to be checked out is a thread worth having.

That said, here's a good game that ought to be checked out...

Guardian Legend - Released by Broderbund

You are the Guardian Legend, a female cyborg who can turn into a spaceship.

The gameplay mixes verticle shoot 'em up sequences with a zelda-like overworld as you try to destroy a hostile planet/spaceship before it arrives to Earth. The shoot em up sequences are pretty hard by non-bullet hell standards, and the action-adventure map is huge.

Along the way you'll collect a pretty wide assortment of weapons, including frag grenades and a double-bladed lightsaber. Really.

And it's got some pretty bitching music to boot.

Sounds awesome, and I've never heard of it until now.

I consider this thread a success :)
    It is a phenomenal game.

I remember LOVING it as a kid, and only recently (thanks to articles similar to this thread) was able to track down what it was called.

Back then I was 100% convinced that, at a certain point, the game was impossible. I couldn't figure out what to do.

I went back and tried it again recently, determined to figure it out, and couldn't get past the first shmup section... >.>

Akinos on
    edited September 2008
    rvcontre78 on

SeñorAmor on
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master is the fucking TRUTH.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master is the fucking TRUTH.

PAJAMA MAJAMA PAJAMA...

I fucking loved that game and movie.

urahonky on
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLY!
    Three modes - Drivin', Shootin', and Fightin'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EcApDI-s-Q

For the first four seconds of that video, I was convinced that he was masturbating.

Raughn on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone say Legacy of the Wizard yet?

I usually do in these threads because it was such an awesome game, but it looks like I neglected to mention it.

Had some bitchin' music for an NES game, too.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Raughn wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLY!
    Three modes - Drivin', Shootin', and Fightin'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EcApDI-s-Q

For the first four seconds of that video, I was convinced that he was masturbating.

I'm still convinced he's masturbating

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone say Legacy of the Wizard yet?

Beat'd...so hard...like three months ago:
    rvcontre78 wrote: »
    Monsty wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, I want to say Faxanadu. Side-scrolling adventure "RPG" of sorts. Get weapons, armor, magic, and work your way to the Evil Place to kill...uhh...I'm sure it's something like the Evil One. I rather enjoy it but never hear too much about it. Look it up!

Faxanadu, yeah, that definitely is a great game. I really wonder why it never became a franchise!

It sorta was... Wikipedia article on Faxanadu....side-part of the Dragon Slayer series, which also contained another oft-overlooked game that I recall fondly: Legacy of the Wizard. Two very different games, though, and most of the rest were for other systems, in Japan.

RandomHajile on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    3d world runner

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • TalTal Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck, I was going to say that.

3D World Runner, The Guardian Legend, and Section Z were 3 games I found out about from the kids down the street, and all 3 I'd like to get some time in on today.

Tal on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Snake rattle and roll was a big title that I think a lot of people missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HprUfHk5ik

Viscountalpha on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Has anyone said Air Fortress? 'cause if not, then Air Fortress

Man, I love this game.

I'll echo this sentiment. Air Fortress is and was a great time. A difficult time to be sure, but a good fun challenge all the same.

If it hasn't been said yet, Shadow of the Ninja on the NES. Fantastic Natsume made 1-2 player title in the vein of the NES Batman which played beautifully and has one of the lesser known fantastic soundtracks of that gen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YxPXCcytg4

Polago on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    rvcontre78 wrote: »
    I agree the thread may seem iffy but it's more a question of what an underrated or neglected game might be.

An underrated or neglected game is very much in the eye of the beholder and not bound to an arbitrary line. Underrated would imply someone thinks a game is underscored or undervalued compared to the public assessment, public average, or the personal opinion of another individual. Neglected would imply a game being more seriously disregarded as opposed to unknown or simple dislike. Ignorance and blatant disregard would fall into this realm.

For an odd example, if I felt that someone's child was more special, gifted or awesome than their parents understand, i'd be considering the child underrated. If I felt that child was being outright ignored or disregarded then i'd consider that child to be neglected.

Polago on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, that Shadow of the Ninja game looks really great, never even heard of it :)

Impersonator on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why did it take you people 4 pages to mention Little Nemo.
    Best use of chiptunes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQKJ-nyBFA

Hell, I think this game and Wizards & Warriors were the first to sell me on adventure-type games. But seriously, fuck house of toys.

Skexis on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're going to pimp Little Nemo music, go with this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofDHrwWCVg

I think it was recorded a little loud, though.

Monsty on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait, was this thread bumped 3 months after death so you could post another video you made?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I only read the first few posts, but, I'll agree with Cobra Triangle, Faxanadu, and Little Nemo. I'd also like to add Street Fighter 2010, starring an acrobatic, bionic Ken Masters. So great.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• TrichomeTrichome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trichome on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whr2H4VsF4g

Mother fucking Kick Master!

It's like the NES version of God Hand!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nes Open

One of the best NES games ever, and still really fun to play.

Edit: Old thread is old.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trichome wrote: »

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jackal = up to 2 players both in command of a jeep that can shoot missles,bombs,bullets,etc. Scrolls from the bottom of the screen up and my brothers and I would play it for weeks at a time, even the music was cool.

GI Joe = I don't know which one (there must have been a few GI JOE games) but the one I recall had storm shadow and Snake Eyes as playable characters (plus all the classic JOEs).

Will edit add more if I remember any.

Caveman Paws on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i cant decide if milons secret castle is just poorly thought out and implemented, or if its a sadistic torture device created by some crazed japanese asshole for his own sick amusement and/or tip line proceeds.

Ah_Pook on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Rolling Thunder.

so good.

Hmm, never played that one, but the gameplay really reminds me of another great little talked about NES game... Codename Viper. I wonder if they were related in any way. It was pretty hard as well, and i always ran out of people to kill and lost interest around the 4th lvl :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0gG2XAtulE

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why is that person not wearing pants?

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Rolling Thunder.

so good.

Hmm, never played that one, but the gameplay really reminds me of another great little talked about NES game... Codename Viper. I wonder if they were related in any way. It was pretty hard as well, and i always ran out of people to kill and lost interest around the 4th lvl :(

(Codename: Viper)

Yes! I really liked that you could hide behind the trap doors. Just good stuff.

And everyone always says something about his pants (or apparent lack thereof).

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

Oh my god, I remember renting this when I was in elementary school! It was a great little platform shooter game. Wish I had owned it, so I could still be playing it right now.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • ButterBeanButterBean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I will have to second MC Kids and Destiny of an Emperor. When I was a kid I didn't really care that MC Kids was a licensed product, I just really enjoyed the mechanics of flipping the stage upside down.

Also remember:
    Willow
    Magician
    Times of Lore
    Pinbot
    Gotcha!

ButterBean on
    edited September 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i cant decide if milons secret castle is just poorly thought out and implemented, or if its a sadistic torture device created by some crazed japanese asshole for his own sick amusement and/or tip line proceeds.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the latter. I remember playing the game and then just thinking that it was a lot more fun than I could just figure out... if that makes sense. :P

rvcontre78 on