As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time for a new computer or just upgrade V-card?

tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A

I'm debating on whether I should get a new computer or just get a new video card. Currently I'm using a HP I bought about 3-4 years ago and it has served me well. However, I'm having lots of load time issues and frame rate issue when playing games and stuff.

My game of choice right now is WoW. It plays ok, but sometime my framerate just goes to hell when in a raid. I turn down all the settings and have all unnecessary programs closed but still get horrible fps(like 3-4 range sometimes).

my computer specs are in the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00255702&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=432781&dlc=en

The only thing I have changed is the ram. I currently have 3 gigs of ram.

I also got a link to my motherboard to if you have a good suggestion for a video card

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00208497&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=432781&dlc=en

tallgeeze on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If all you want to play is WoW you can get away with a pretty crapp upgrade. Do you plan on playing other stuff, or just the Warcrack?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I do want to play the newer stuff, but sometimes it's just frustrating. When the CoD 4 demo first came out I tried it and I had to turn down a lot of settings to make that run smoothly. After that, I have avoided much of the newer graphic intensive stuff.

Beyond just graphics my computer as a whole is just slower than it used to be. Some programs take longer than usual to load and when I have to shut down/restart my computer for updates it doesn't even completely do that. I have to pull the plug and plug it back in.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Have you ever reformatted the machine and reinstalled Windows?

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    yea, I have done that a couple of times. Everything runs smoothly for a while, but eventually I end up back in my current situation.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A new videocard will do nothing for the load time issues, but it might help with the slowdown during raids.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well seeing as the motherboard is LGA775 check to see if there are any recent bios updates. If there is you way be able to update to a newer c2d. That CPU will probably be a bottleneck, even if you do get a new video card.

.kbf? on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're just gonna play wow go for a vid card. I used to play on a rig with 512 ram and a 256mb geforce card and I still managed to raid fine, and that was with 40 people back then.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down