As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, looks like Megaman 9 is coming to...

• Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    I've got really good at dispatching the Robot Masters in Wily's castle. I spent a ton of continues to beat his first and second form. It took me a long time to learn the timing and control to not die on the second form. Finally I got it and he went down! But
    His 3rd form was a surprise and I got my shit pushed in. I'm tired of experimenting and just want to know, does his 3rd form have a weakness?

Wait...which boss are you talking about?

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've had Megaman 9 since it came out on Live and I've yet to beat more than one boss.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I've had Megaman 9 since it came out on Live and I've yet to beat more than one boss.

Have you tried all of them? Which level are you gaining the most ground on?

Culver on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Culver wrote: »
    I've got really good at dispatching the Robot Masters in Wily's castle. I spent a ton of continues to beat his first and second form. It took me a long time to learn the timing and control to not die on the second form. Finally I got it and he went down! But
    His 3rd form was a surprise and I got my shit pushed in. I'm tired of experimenting and just want to know, does his 3rd form have a weakness?

Wily

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Wily

Oh in that case, really I just used the Magma Cannon, worked best for me.

Culver on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The weakness is Plug Ball but hitting him with it is extremely dangerous. So barring that you hit him with whatever's easiest, Magma Cannon is good and you'll still have ammo. I just brute forced him though with a bunch of E tanks.

Zek on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Wily

Oh in that case, really I just used the Magma Cannon, worked best for me.
    He's weak to plug ball.

Black hole will grab his projectiles

Hornet and magma are good for reaching him from a distance.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh.

I used Rush Coil on Wily's final form.

slash000 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Huh.

This is why we can't be seen with you.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    Huh.

This is why we can't be seen with you.

Well, I figured he was weak to something else, but I decided, fuck it. I can dodge his shots pretty easily and get a few shots in of my own with trusty Rush Coil.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, I probably won't ever finish this project, but at least it will be a fun learning experience. I'm using XNA to make a Megaman HD. Last semester I did the Metroid shmup, and I learned a lot from that, so I think I'm ready to try a platformer. I've already got a rudimentary physics engine, and tonight I put together these:

sprites-1.png

The goal is to completely retain the original aspect ratio and general appearance of the sprites. I heard XNA 3 will finally have a 1-step installer, so maybe by the time it's out of beta I'll have something to share.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Neat!

I just played Mega Man 3 for the first time... am I crazy or does it look worse than 1 and 2? Something about all of the sprites feels "off."

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Neat!

I just played Mega Man 3 for the first time... am I crazy or does it look worse than 1 and 2? Something about all of the sprites feels "off."

It's the same sprites. There's definitely something that's off - I have a feeling it's the jump height or walking speed. I've never been able to put my finger on it, but there's something that keeps 3 from being my favorite over 2.

Edit:
    Actually, I just fired them both up - in general, in 3, the enemies and enemy shots move much faster, which makes Megaman seem slower than in the other games.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    RegReg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Delzhand, great job on those!

Free music, guys. Don't know if you've heard of Tae K or not, but its a mixtape album from a guy that is obviously a huge MM fan. Even if you aren't into rap, it's still worth checking out. "Money in the Bank" is awesome.

http://tkrmx.blogspot.com/2008/04/mega-man-mixtape.html

Reg on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for that.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When doing peacekeeper, do you have to avoid killing hornet man's hornets and splash woman's fish too?

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When doing peacekeeper, do you have to avoid killing hornet man's hornets and splash woman's fish too?
    Nope.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Beat the game for the first time last night and got the "Quick Kill" acheivement on Wily for an added bonus.

I really enjoyed this particular Wily Machine.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Reg wrote: »

Free music, guys. Don't know if you've heard of Tae K or not, but its a mixtape album from a guy that is obviously a huge MM fan. Even if you aren't into rap, it's still worth checking out. "Money in the Bank" is awesome.

Wow, this is pretty fucking ace, and I don't even like rap. Like, at all.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So...is there any particular boss I should go for first? I seem to have an easy time reaching Tornado Man and Concrete Man but...well, I cant exactly kill them...YET! I finally mastered the demo last night only to find out you cant fight the boss (which I expected but still) and I was like...NO, IM DOIN THIS and bought it right after, its really fun, and I havent been really getting mad at dying so much as finding it as a chance to learn my mistake and do it again even better the next time, I quite like this.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mastrius wrote: »
    So...is there any particular boss I should go for first? I seem to have an easy time reaching Tornado Man and Concrete Man but...well, I cant exactly kill them...YET! I finally mastered the demo last night only to find out you cant fight the boss (which I expected but still) and I was like...NO, IM DOIN THIS and bought it right after, its really fun, and I havent been really getting mad at dying so much as finding it as a chance to learn my mistake and do it again even better the next time, I quite like this.

Galaxy Man and Splash Woman have the easiest of patterns to recognize and work around. Galaxy Man especially. He's the only boss I figured out and killed the first time I met him. I even went in with half health the first time.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I noticed something interesting about Proto Man that I don't think anyone else here has mentioned yet... If he is in Proto Coil mode he can fire 3 busters at once instead of 2.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because I was low on weapon energy I had to use buster on Galaxy Man in the teleporter room. Apparently he was the boss I messed up on earlier in the game because after defeating him I got the Trusty Sidearm achievement, but, oddly, didn't get credit for the challenge.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It only occurred to me about 15 minutes ago that I could shoot Galaxy Man at times other than when he was standing under the black hole.

This is why I call the Plasma Ball the Weapon That Kills Every Robot Master That It Doesn't: they all spend so much time hanging out around the ceiling or the floor that you can just fire plasma shots in a nice rhythm and not have to worry about aiming. It's no weaker than the buster and far more likely to hit. It's how I killed Galaxy Man the first time.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wow, so you have to do the entire wily castle in one sitting?

Just died to the stage 3 boss and went to save... which apparently did me no good.

Kor on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kor wrote: »

Just died to the stage 3 boss and went to save... which apparently did me no good.

Yea, I am not too thrilled about this considering I can't beat this Giant Goo boss. I started with 7 lives and I am down to 4, soon to be 0.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This fuckin game is TOUGH >.>...

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

Yea, I am not too thrilled about this considering I can't beat this Giant Goo boss. I started with 7 lives and I am down to 4, soon to be 0.

The twin devils are easy once you take it slow and realize that they exchange parts in the exact same order, every single time. Once you have the pattern down all you have to do is pop a Black Hole Bomb in its face right before the core comes out, as soon as the hit registers, enter the weapon select menu to cancel the current black hole, turn and fire another one to hit the core twice on one passing.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wish the Black Hole Bomb acted a bit like its Boss' counterpart. In that it would slowly pull things towards it. Pulling items off ledges or even smaller enemies into pits, that'd be fun.

Kor on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

You should be using the Black Hole Bomb, if you weren't already

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    RegReg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Reg wrote: »

Wow, this is pretty fucking ace, and I don't even like rap. Like, at all.

I like some rap, but I'm not really into it but this album still floored me.

Reg on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    With the exception of jewel man's stage, trying for peacekeeper was pretty easy. . .until I got to Wily's stages. I don't think I can make it past the first half of the level without using an E-tank.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    With the exception of jewel man's stage, trying for peacekeeper was pretty easy. . .until I got to Wily's stages. I don't think I can make it past the first half of the level without using an E-tank.
    Hope you brought some Beat calls for Wily 3.

I still made it through without them, but... :x

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Geod on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Already sold out. Gundam!

RockinX on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there a difference between the Wii version and the 360 version? I feel bad that I haven't picked this up yet, but the question is 'which version'? I guess the 360 has achievements. Those are always nice.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've got the 360 version. It's nice. From what I've heard, the two versions are practically identical so just grab the game for whichever system you prefer to game on.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Wii has a better d-pad and apparently there are some minor graphical differences.

So I guess somebody should probably make a new thread, huh?

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    The Wii has a better d-pad and apparently there are some minor graphical differences.

So I guess somebody should probably make a new thread, huh?

Eh, I've been playing MM9 with the 360 analog stick (which is much better than the Wii stick IMO) and having no problems.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I bought the Wii version because of the d-pad on the classic controller, but trying the 360 demo, I found the stick to work pretty well. This choice only comes down to preference.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018