As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania Judgment for the Wii

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Downscaled screenshots.
    2653377660bb81b06a68bfawc7.th.jpg

The people responsible for this need to be put in prison.

takeshi20obata1xs1.jpg
    deathnotestrikefearwr9.jpg

EXACTLY AS PLANNED!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This thread is going to keikaku.*

XoB Note: Keikaku means plan.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Norfair wrote: »
    When have fighting games ever had a good plot?

Of course, I'm not interested in this game anyway, so I'm probably not the target audience they have in mind. Which is probably "Death Note Fans Who Also Kinda Like Castlevania And Also Really Like Large Undead Boobs."

i like death note, i like castlevania and large undead boobs are great too.
    still not interested in the least.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Any reviews on this one yet?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

SNK

The dickens you say.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

SNK

The dickens you say.

There was an SNK version of a christmas carol?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guilty Gear's story was pretty entertaining when it's coherent.

It's never coherent.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    This is a terrible day.

FUCKING GOD DAMN TERRIBLE.

There should be a disclaimer on this thread title. I'm all FUCK YEAH CASTLEVANIA FOR MY WII. I HAVEN'T HAD FUN PLAYING A CASTLEVANIA GAME SINCE SOTN SINCE I DON'T OWN A HANDHELD

oh. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On the bright side, you guys get Capcom vs Tatsunoko.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    There was an SNK version of a christmas carol?

If I remember correctly, that was from one of KOF98's endings.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TelMarine wrote: »
    so according to a new IGN hands on and interview, this plays like powerstone.

This just piqued my interest for the game like nothing else had.

It seems that my hate has subsided some.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    4679-550x-1215174643370.jpg

august on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

apparently, a lot of internal people at capcom are trying really hard to bring that to the states :D

Guek on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Was... was that done by a translator without a hint of irony or humor?

Considering how goddamn serious American otaku take themselves, I have to ask.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's funny either way.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's funny either way.

I took it as a parody on "No means no."

Anyway, there's like 4 or 5 match videos up on GameTrailers right now. I still think the game is an abomination.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "I may be cute as buttons, but i'm tough as nails!"
    :x

Tairu on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only redesign that really bothers me is Shanoa, because I would have paid large amounts of money to see her DS design in 3D.

Large amounts.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think this looks like fun, really.

My main complaints from what I've seen are the goofy character designs (why the hell did you give Shanoa a nun-hat, damnit?! And of course, Light/Misa and all that) and the character list.

I'd be a lot more interested if the game was just packed with most, if not all, the protagonists from the series. I'd love to fight Nathan Graves vs Juste Belmont, or Soma vs. Jonathan.

Graviija on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Imran wrote: »
    The only redesign that really bothers me is Shanoa, because I would have paid large amounts of money to see her DS design in 3D.

Large amounts.

Why is she wearing a scarf (or whatever) on her head? Her hair is her most significant feature!

Hopefully there will be alt costumes, and hopefully there'll be a version of Shanoa as she is exactly in Ecclesia.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just thought of an idea that BLEW MY MIND
    If all the art was done by Mike Mignola :winky:

Tairu on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Getting this just because it's castlevania, though some of the reviews make think it won't be that bad.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It looks to be mostly solid and, personally, the fan service is neat.

I like that there are so many personalized messages between characters. I watched a fight where Trevor and Simon talk about who's really worthy of the whip and the name. I saw another fight where Carmilla chides Alucard for turning his back on his lineage.

My favorite is Aeon vs. Eric LeCarde. During his super move, Aeon says "Jealousy of the whip does not excuse your arrogance of the spear." So awesome.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So IGN's review was rather glowing, but the score seemed to go against everything they said. The only complaint they really had was non-customizable button mapping.

I'm confused as to whether I should get this.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

I wish I could care about this game. :(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1up trashed it with a D-.

My girlfriend is pretty hyped for this one, though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    IGN enjoyed it, 1up trashed it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

My girlfriend is pretty hyped for this one, though.

Honestly, and this hurts to say, I think I trust IGN more on this one.

Maybe because I've talked to both reviewers (IGN and 1Up's) about the game, or maybe I might be a little biased because the fanservice appeals to me, but I feel IGN's review explains why he liked the game more than 1Up's review explained why he hated it. For example, from 1Up's review:
    Character design stands at the center of every fighter and unfortunately for Castlevania's cast of vampires and vampire killers, Judgment leans dangerously over the edge.

To be fair, I think by design, he meant balance. But he says nothing about it other than "There are some characters that are strong and some that are weak." This flies in the face of the IGN review, which says pretty much the exact opposite, but my own time with the game as well. The problem is, and it's hilarious that this is actually a problem, pretty much every character has a unique style. Some are much harder to use than others. You can play Alucard and Simon easily. They're quick and strong, but they have weaknesses that you just need to learn how to expose. The seemingly completely useless Beastman can poke holes in Dracula's otherwise unassailable defense by playing smart.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Reviewers don't seem to understand fighting games very well. I've seen many of them praise fighters and rate them highly just on the basis that they thought the characters were cool, and trash others because the characters are zany. I've seen reviewers call some fighters as "shallow" because of the mere existence of supers that require more complex button presses. I've seen reviewers refer to 2D fighters and uncapable of delivering the depth of the modern 3D fighters, having cited both Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat in the same sentence. I've seen reviewers talk about "depth" of a fighting game as meaning "how much extraneous crap you can throw in" (ie adventure modes, story modes, puzzle game modes, etc.), I've seen reviewers talk about cancels as being glitches (yes i know technically they started out that way). I've seen reviewers talk about "balance issues" when it really just boiled down to their lack of knowledge of the fighter's style; or talk about a weak character that ended up being higher tiered character. I've read reviews claiming button-masher when button-mashing is easily taken down by the most basic of skills.

I could go on.

Just in general it's hard to find a review for a fighting game in which the reviewer actually knew what he was talking about and actually took the time to explain it in the review. When so many others confuse so many things and only take things at face value / dont scratch beyond the surface.

Now it's hard to give CVJ a default benefit of the doubt simply because we don't have a track record to go by. But that's no reason to go into it with a bias against it.... Also, I understand that Iga is trying to push this as a "Versus action game" or something, rather than a "fighting game." But.. that's really just semantics, I think. Anyway, I'm going to have an open mind on this one, I guess.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you hit the nail right on the head, slash. fighting games are among the most brutally hardcore niches out there in gaming. anyone can pick up and play a fighter due to the simplicity of the concept, but really learning the ins and outs of a fighting game takes a lot of time, energy, and often stiff competition to push you to keep getting better.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm so glad I had incredibly low expectations for this game, because it is actually pretty enjoyable.

Tairu on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I'll have to rent this to try it out when I manage to replace my Wii. I keep hearing it plays kind of like Power Stone, and that was enough to revive my interest in it.

Then again, I tend to enjoy fighting games, anyway, although I'm not really into the competitive scene any more.

Norfair on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've avoided this thread because the premise suck, but I've been compensated with hilarity.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tairu wrote: »
    I'm so glad I had incredibly low expectations for this game, because it is actually pretty enjoyable.

If only we could have this attitude about all games.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Played this last night. It's incredibly fun. It does have a bit of a Powerstone feel to it, fun and fast paced. It may seem a bit too simple at first, but once you start using the pickup weapons and figuring out the special moves it becomes a lot more fun.

It's much better than I expected - very nice graphically too. I wouldn't call it a $50 purchase - but definately $30 or $20. Of course, if you only own a Wii (like me) the only real competition it has are VC offerings, Mortal Kombat or Smash Bros so it looks especially good in that situation!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The fact that they took the time to add online impressed me, since most companies seem to be too lazy to get that feature worked in on Wii games, even if it would seem like a no brainer.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    greyweathergreyweather Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    What impresses me is how much better this game is online in comparison to Brawl. It sets up matches faster, there is less lag, you can chose between ranked random matches or unranked random matches, and you can add any opponent you face in random battle to a list of rivals, bypassing that universally reviled Friends Code system. If you do want to use Friends Codes, you have that option too.
    Graviija wrote: »
    My main complaints from what I've seen are the goofy character designs (why the hell did you give Shanoa a nun-hat, damnit?! And of course, Light/Misa and all that) and the character list.
    The biggest problem this game has is actually the camera. Sometimes (usually when one of the players is using Dracula) the camera moves behind one of the characters, blocking your view of the other player. That plus the inability to customize the controls beyond the 3 preprogrammed options.
    slash000 wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be alt costumes, and hopefully there'll be a version of Shanoa as she is exactly in Ecclesia.
    Nope. Each character gets one alternate costume, and all they do is change the colors. You can also pimp up your characters with accessories you unlock in single player, but those are mostly hats and the like. In general, they just make the characters look goofy.
    SteevL wrote: »
    IMHO the 1up reviewer greatly exaggerated the flaws of the game. The IGN review gives you a much better idea of what the game is really like.
    Also, one female character is concerned about the size of her breasts, and often makes comments about it (e.g., "Even the vampire's are bigger than mine!
    This only happens in Maria's story mode, so you only have to endure this once. Twice if you want to unlock her character specific mask, or never if you press A and skip the cutscene. Only her story mode is this silly, most of the others are more in line with what you would be used to. As for taunts, only Maria's are idiotic and only Carmilla's are suggestive.

greyweather on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Haha, awesome. I might pick this up if I see it for $20 at some point.

Honestly, the only thing I find "disappointing" about this game are the characters they chose.

Sure, Simon, Dracula, Alucard were all three a given. Trevor's cool, but, eh, I'd like to see Richter (is he in the game?). I mean, they bothered putting in the golem or whatever the fuck, but what about Richter? Richter's famous! He's a major character and has been in a couple of the CV games. Not to mention his famous lines in SOTN. And then of course Soma. I mean, sure, soma's a kid and whatever, but he's the major character of 2 entire games. I'd rather try out Soma than.. the golem thing. And Shanoa, thankfully, was put into the game - but why the fuck couldn't they have a costume, or alt costume, where she looks even remotely the same as she does in Order of Ecclesia? She looks awesome in OoE! I don't like the look in CVJ for Shonoa.

Anyway.

I'll give this a shot when it comes down in price.

slash000 on
  • Options
    greyweathergreyweather Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Richter is mentioned once in passing by Maria during Shanoa's story mode. That's all we get of him.
    I mean, sure, soma's a kid and whatever
    Whatever reason they left him out, it wasn't because he was a kid. Eric and Maria are both brought into the time rift from very early parts of their lives.

greyweather on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Richter is mentioned once in passing by Maria during Shanoa's story mode. That's all we get of him.
    I mean, sure, soma's a kid and whatever
    Whatever reason they left him out, it wasn't because he was a kid. Eric and Maria are both brought into the time rift from very early parts of their lives.

Yeah, that's true.

slash000 on