As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alcohol + cold? Experiences?

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a slight cold, but really want to go out tonight. I hear drinking while having a cold will destroy you. How true is this? Something about weakening your immune system?

Am I good to go? Or will it destroy me if I have a few drinks?

I won't be taking any medication, so we can get that out of the way.

mooshoepork on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a slight cold, but really want to go out tonight. I hear drinking while having a cold will destroy you. How true is this? Something about weakening your immune system?

Am I good to go? Or will it destroy me if I have a few drinks?

I won't be taking any medication, so we can get that out of the way.

I've had a cold for almost a week now because for the first half of it I figured "fuck it, just a cold" and kept drinking normally.

So yeah, I'd say pass.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's a bad idea. Alcohol can dehydrate you, which is just terrible for you when you have a cold. A glass of wine or a nightcap, or what have you would be fine. But going out and partying? No, you will feel worse.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    If you've taken any cold medicine at all ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DRINK.

A forgotten dosage of Advil: Cold and Sinus hours before and a few glasses of wine landed me in the ER.

Yeah, I think I may have done just about every really stupid thing imaginable at this point.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I did this exact thing and ended up sorely regretting it for the next couple days. If you do do it I'd get some Dayquil now for tomorrow because it will become significantly worse.

Quid on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll second everyone's advice. However, if you have a cold and are feeling really terrible, it's always helped me to take one or two shots of whiskey and then pass the fuck out (as in, sleep, not physically pass out). It's probably not terribly healthy, but, like I said, it makes me feel a lot better and helps me sleep.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll second everyone's advice. However, if you have a cold and are feeling really terrible, it's always helped me to take one or two shots of whiskey and then pass the fuck out (as in, sleep, not physically pass out). It's probably not terribly healthy, but, like I said, it makes me feel a lot better and helps me sleep.

My own, less butch take on this is the sore-throat remedy I picked up from an old ex: Cub of very hot water, juice from a lemon wedge, half shot of amaretto, and honey to taste. Sip slowly for a few hours until you are nicely warm from the alcohol then pass the fuck out (obviously, this will require more than just one cup). This is for when I have a sore throat so painful that normal sleep is impossible.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sounds a lot like how I make hot toddies, which is a great idea given your current cold. Here's the recipe I like:

Ingredients

-Constant Comment Black Tea (Leonard Cohen drank it...it's classy)
    -2 or 3 shots of whiskey (I like Jameson's)
    -Lemon Wedge (or lemon juice...whatever)
    -Sweetener (I'm vegan, so I don't use honey, but honey is a popular choice)

Brew the tea normally, then add the rest of the ingredients. Drink it then pass the fuck out. Also, if you use the tea once, the second diffusion will be decaf. The caffeine in tea doesn't seem to affect me, but you may differ.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Whoa, thanks for all the advice everyone. I have thought about it, and decided not to go. I'm already feeling a little better.

I'm going to save those recipes and try it tomorrow! :) Not sure where to get that tea though.

Thanks everyone!

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You'll be absolutely fine. I have a cold right now and I was shitfaced last night and I will be shitfaced again tonight.

Man up.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You'll be absolutely fine. I have a cold right now and I was shitfaced last night and I will be shitfaced again tonight.

Man up.

Nah, I'm good.

I'm pretty sure the above posters speak truth. I'd rather feel sick for the smallest amount of time possible.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Depends on the severity of your cold. I like to think of myself as a professional drink. So a minor cold won't do shit.

HOWEVER.

If you have something that's even remotely serious (you yak a good bit, temperature over 101, major headache), don't do it, for the love of god. My freshman year, I got a serious fucking cold that lasted a month (no, not mono, I got tested like 6 times), and it was on the final stretch. I just had like 3 days left of it, but i still had a little bit of a fever. So I said whatever and went out.

Shit destroyed my immune system and I relapsed, and it lasted an extra 3 weeks. So be careful.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]