As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today I am going to buy a DS game

OhioOhio Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
I have a DS Lite which I literally haven't turned on in 6 months and haven't played consistently in a year. While I've owned probably 20 games for it since I first bought, at this point I'm left with only 4 games: Clubhouse Games, Tetris DS, the first DS Castlevania game, and Brain Training (1).

The only reason I even have those 4 games is because I didn't think they'd get more than $5 on a trade in.

But today this will change. I'm going to buy a new game. I'm thinking it will be one of the following:
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2
  • Etrian Odyssey 2
  • Space Invaders Extreme

One of my favorite games of all time is Final Fantasy Tactics. I played FFTA and got about halfway through it. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. However I'd love to play this game, but only if it gets it right. And from impressions I've read, this might not sound like the game FFT was all those years ago. Plus it's $40.

As for Etrian Odyssey 2, I don't know much about it other than it's getting good scores and it looks deep. On the downside, I haven't played the first one. Does this matter? Also, from what I've read the game looks to be hard.

As for Space Invaders, I've heard and read it's really fun but also not very deep. I don't particularly like games where all you're trying to do is get a high score. I'd prefer a story. However, it's getting so much good buzz and it's only $20.

Any other serious suggestions? This is my last attempt to enjoy this system. I've played and traded in Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Rocket Slime, Pokemon, most other AAA games that were popular 12-18 months ago. I'm not interested in weird Japanese niche games or games in which the point is to keep the beat with music. Also I'd like to be able to find this game at Best Buy.

EDIT: Multiplayer options have very little impact on my decision. I will be playing this game alone.

Ohio on

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The World Ends with You is very fun. As is Lego Star Wars/Indiana Jones.

Daxon on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    From the sound of things, if you didn't care much for FFTA, then you probably won't care for FFTA2. I think I'm in the same boat as you: I loved FFT, but FFTA never clicked for me. I didn't like the weapon/race-rase based new class system, felt there were too many unnecessary classes, and hated the switch from a dark political story to light fluff. From what I've read about FFTA2, it' FFTA but moreso, so don't go into expect it to suddenly be FFT-style.

The Etrian Odyssey game have basically non-existent plots so skipping the first one and going straight to the second is not a problem. If a solid character class/skill system, traditional JRPG battles, mapping out your own dungeons, brutal difficulty, and next to no story sounds good to you, go for it. If not, don't. They're definitely not for everyone.

As for Space Invaders Extreme, it's a blast and very deep if you're trying to get a good score or get past the higher difficulty routes. I hear multiplayer is fun too. I love the game, but then again, I'm the kind of person who likes to replay action games for high scores. Best remake/sequel of a classic game next to Pac-Man: Championship Edition.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Suggestions:

Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin
    Lots of action, classic Castlevania stuff with a new twist

Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney
    You play a lawyer, investigate and interrogate

The World Ends With You
    Shibuya, Japan. Fighting on two screens at once.

Hotel Dusk
    Film noir type game. Great story, detective investigation.

Advance Wars
    It's Advance Wars. Strategy game.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been a terrible person and haven't bought Phantom Hourglass yet, so I'll be doing that today during Amazon's lightning deals, and maybe pick up Diamond as well.

LightningDeals.com Preview Updated at 3am EST - Check back tomorrow for more lightning deals!
    6AM PDT Yoshi's Island DS (DS) (Reg $29.99)
    8AM PDT The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) (Reg $34.99)
    10AM PDT Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) (Reg $49.99)
    12PM PDT New Super Mario Bros. (DS) (Reg $32.99)
    2PM PDT Mario Kart DS (DS) (Reg $34.99)
    4PM PDT The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) (Reg $49.99)
    6PM PDT Mario Party DS (DS) (Reg $29.99)
    8PM PDT Pokemon Diamond (DS) (Reg $33.99)
    (Please give credit to LightningDeals.com if posting on other sites - Thank you!)

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ohio wrote: »
    at this point I'm left with only 4 games: Clubhouse Games, Tetris DS, the first DS Castlevania game
    Pretty sure you're wrong on this point. Clubhouse Games and Tetris DS are worth more now than they are when they were released. I think Dawn of Sorrow is difficult to find, and it's better than Portrait of Ruin.

As for new games...Space Invaders Extreme has no story and is all about high score. Great game but doesn't sound like it's for you.

FFT:A2 is more FFTA than FFT. You probably will feel the same way about it as you did about FFTA.

I'd go with Etrian Odyssey 2. Fantastic game. Very deep. Yes, it's hard but that keeps me entertained. It's pretty light on story, so be prepared for that. You can easily get 100 hours out of this one if you want to.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Can anyone tell me if either FFTA2 or Etrian Odyssey 2 have selectable difficulty levels?

Ohio on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure I read in the FFTA2 thread that there was a hard mode, but you'd have to scan through it to be sure.

stigweard on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Go find Meteos.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EO2 is basically hard mode anyway. If you're looking for an easy game I wouldn't recommend it. However I love the game, never having played the first. There is a nice simple quest system, and there are events throughout the game which really help to spice up the dungeon crawl, but the crawl itself is tons of fun.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    EO2 is basically hard mode anyway. If you're looking for an easy game I wouldn't recommend it. However I love the game, never having played the first. There is a nice simple quest system, and there are events throughout the game which really help to spice up the dungeon crawl, but the crawl itself is tons of fun.

Actually yeah I am kind of looking for an easy game. I've got a wife and a kid so I don't have time to be repeating missions.

Despite what I've said, I'm leaning towards FFTA2. It doesn't look perfect but I've continued to read everything I can about it and it sounds "good enough" for me. I love the art, I love stats, and the genre. I think I'm set.

Ohio on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    FFTA2 has a selectable difficulty. I have both Eo2 and FFTA2. Out of the both, I am playing FFTA2 the most, but thats out of personal preference.
    They fixed a lot of things I couldn't stand about the first game, and the carrot on a stick this game has is delicious looking. I stayed up too late last night saying "Just one more battle, over and over."
    If you hate item and team management, stay far far away from this game.

Smashism on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Suggestions:

The World Ends With You
    These three are all excellent.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    lordswing wrote: »
    I've been a terrible person and haven't bought Phantom Hourglass yet, so I'll be doing that today during Amazon's lightning deals, and maybe pick up Diamond as well.

LightningDeals.com Preview Updated at 3am EST - Check back tomorrow for more lightning deals!
    (Please give credit to LightningDeals.com if posting on other sites - Thank you!)

Phantom hourglass is up now.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i really need to get a DS.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Suggestions:

The World Ends With You
    Two out of three ain't bad. Portrait of Ruin is not very fun. The whole "two characters at once" thing just doesn't end up being a good mechanic. Dawn of Sorrow is much, much better and you've already got that.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Suggestions:

The World Ends With You
    Two out of three ain't bad. Portrait of Ruin is not very fun. The whole "two characters at once" thing just doesn't end up being a good mechanic. Dawn of Sorrow is much, much better and you've already got that.

You know, I'd actually say entirely the other way around.
    Dawn of Sorrow is really rather dull and lifeless as Castlevania games go. PoR is an enormous improvmenet over it in atmosphere and level design.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The World Ends With You really is awesome. With that and Crisis Core, it's like SE are going through a little mini-renaissance.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Since this isn't a simple, generalized recommendation thread, I'm not going to post the entire list of recommended DS games.

Rather, this sounds like a "give me something truly, specifically awesome geared towards my tastes" kind of thread.

And thus, it's very difficult to recommend something without knowing your particular tastes.

What kinds of games do you like, specifically, Ohio? Besides "games with stories" as the only criteria?

slash000 on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ohio wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if either FFTA2 or Etrian Odyssey 2 have selectable difficulty levels?

FFTA2 has a hard mode selectable right from the start. If you end up getting it, I'd recommend choosing it as hard mode actually has some challenge to it.

Slicer on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    lordswing wrote: »

I got the email on this but do we know what the sale prices are going to be until the post the sales at the actual times?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Since this isn't a simple, generalized recommendation thread, I'm not going to post the entire list of recommended DS games.

Rather, this sounds like a "give me something truly, specifically awesome geared towards my tastes" kind of thread.

And thus, it's very difficult to recommend something without knowing your particular tastes.

What kinds of games do you like, specifically, Ohio? Besides "games with stories" as the only criteria?

Really I just wanted input on the three games I listed. I should have come right out and said that. I would listen to other recommendations, though. Despite not buying any DS games recently, I still have followed new releases and reviews so I'm pretty aware of all the games people have suggested. I've never been interested enough in any of them to buy them though. This is why the three games I listed were all relatively new releases - since they're new, I don't know as much about them as some of the older games listed in this thread.

Yes I am looking for something very specific and I am hard to please, especially when it comes to DS. I've bought so many games for it and have never really loved any of them.

So I went to Best Buy and had FFTA2 in my hand and put it back down. I was all set to buy it and then....man, $40. I was proud that I resisted but now I'm still sitting here ready to go after work and get it. I just want it to be good.

Ohio on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ah, I see.

The only game I can personally speak to is Space Invaders. It can best be described as the Pac-man CE of space invaders. It's gameplay has surprising depth to it in terms of strategy, but ultimately the purpose of the game is to get a high score (although you can "beat it" if you play through the levels in arcade mode). There is no story.

Its most similar games in terms of how it appeals to people are Pac-man CE, lumines, Rez, geometry wars, and point-centric shmups.

It's a great deal of fun and very addicting if you enjoy the arcadey style games that are focused in their gameplay aspect, and enjoy the addicting nature of getting progressively better and ever increasing your score or climbing the leaderboard. It's fun to develop strategies for scoring higher points, because there are multipliers and bonuses and lots of varieties of scenarios you face with said options in order to figure out the best point-scoring strategy. There are even branching levels of different difficulties and varieties.

The music/graphics and everything is very well done.

But if you're not one of the people that enjoy arcadey, focused, point-based games that are there to test both your timing, reflexes, and ability to strategize for both score and life-saving on the fly, it will not be for you.

It doesn't sound like it's for you.

But it's extremely good for Pacman CE or Geometry wars or everyday shooter or shmup or lumines or arcade-style fans.

slash000 on