As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] Siege of Obton

DajianDajian Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Critical Failures
This thread is intended as an Out of Character Thread for the Siege of Obton PbP game. Please keep all out of character discussions and questions to this thread.

Please use this thread to decide if you know each other and how.

Some procedural notes:
I ask everyone to be able to post at least once a day. If you have not posted in 24 hours since your charcter is required to act (in combat) I will act for you to keep things moving. I'll be rolling some OA attacks for you and some perception/Insight if you fail the passive checks and I think it is reasonable. (Feel free to call for these on your own still).

The IC thread will be going up once I have sheets for everyone and you guys decide on if you know each other. The IC thread will give you a chance to explain why you are in the village.

Campaign Resources:
Myth-Weavers for character sheets
Invisible Castle for dice rolls (Use your characters first name for tracking)
I apologize in adavnce for the crappy maps. I am doing them all in GIMP and I am by no stretch an artist =) If you have a token or image you want me to use for your character let me know.

Village Description:
Obton is a small village. There is not much but a main street with 6 houses and small town square. The Inn is at one end of the street, a three story structure that is stone on the bottom floor while the top two wooden floors look to have been added as the needs for the building grew. It serves as the village Inn, Tavern, General Store, and Mayoral Home.

A couple of story hooks that may have brought you to the small village include:
· Mayor Sengar has sent out missives up and down the Aluron River requesting brave warriors to come help them deal with raiding Kobolds. He is offering 10 gold per Kobold killed and 350 gold to anyone that can track them and destroy their home base.

· Sage Melecant a powerful Eladrin Wizard has informed you that there is a magical disturbance in the area surrounding the small village of Obton and requests someone investigate.

· Obton is located in the province of Galadrin which is ruled by Lord Assemar. He has instructed you his loyal soldier to go and assist Mayor Sengar in his troubles.

· In back alleys and the dark places across Galadrin there is talk of mystic forces coming into this world. A brave an adventurous individual could gain much power and wealth if they could stop or maybe even harness this evil. Some say a good place to start would be investigating the peculiar habits of the Kobolds attacking Obton.

Player List
MolotovCockatoo as Bayerth Querioyllon the Paladin of IounSaurin_Icon.jpg
Cynic Jester as Savra Rakdos the Warlocksavra_Icon.jpg
Bok Choi as Relentless Jonas the RogueJonas_Icon.jpg
Al Baron as Felicia Leontina the WarlordFelicia_Icon.jpg
Lardalish as Jefferson Andrennen the WizardRincewind_Icon.jpg

Dajian on

• Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Picture:
    savra.jpg

Savra might be there for the money but is far more likely she'd be there for the promise of power. She's not one to say no to more power. As to knowing someone beforehand, Savra is an equal opportunity congirl, good, bad, strong, weak, if she can pull some advantage out of someone, she will.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, so for my backstory right now Ive got something in mind that may or may not be seen as silly.

Anyone heard of Rincewind from the Discworld series? I think I would like to be like him, someone who signed up for wizardry for the presdigious place and the fancy lifestyle. He will quickly learn that shit goes down. I haven't decided if he will then change and like adventuring, or if he will have the same "bad luck" (read: player-DM fiat) to keep him in all the adventures unwillingly. If thats cool, Ill roll with that, otherwise I could whip somethin up pretty easy.

As for the character sheet, Im just toiling over which spells to pick, god theres so many I want right now!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Ok, so for my backstory right now Ive got something in mind that may or may not be seen as silly.

Anyone heard of Rincewind from the Discworld series? I think I would like to be like him, someone who signed up for wizardry for the presdigious place and the fancy lifestyle. He will quickly learn that shit goes down. I haven't decided if he will then change and like adventuring, or if he will have the same "bad luck" (read: player-DM fiat) to keep him in all the adventures unwillingly. If thats cool, Ill roll with that, otherwise I could whip somethin up pretty easy.

As for the character sheet, Im just toiling over which spells to pick, god theres so many I want right now!

Sounds fine to me. I am a fan of letting you guys play however and whomever you want. I'll make it work.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dajian wrote: »
    Lardalish wrote: »

Sounds fine to me. I am a fan of letting you guys play however and whomever you want. I'll make it work.

Im liking you more and more as this goes on.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ok, the mechanics of my character are now up. Fluff will be in later tonight I think. But generally Im a new wizard who thought Id be gettin a comfy office job in the Galadrin offices, however the lord had other plans and has now sent this new wizard to go fight, and man, he is not looking forward to it. Im open to writing my story so that I know any and or all of you, just send me a PM if you're interested and I can work with ya. Otherwise Ill probly just be sent to find help at the Inn and run into you guys.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Awesome, seems I have everyone’s basics.

I'll PM the rest of the guys and once everyone has a "Hi, I am alive and still doing this” post in this OOC thread I'll throw the IC thread up.

The opening will give you all a chance to introduce yourself and say if you are together or not.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If I get no PMs before the IC goes up Ill assume Im solo and RP it as such. No worries for me either way though, just offering an option for everyone.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hola. I'm thinking that Jonas is probably stated out to be a really normal rogue, but I will probably play him as more thuggish as stupid than intelligent and cunning.

I am not really sure if I should cook up some background or just play up the characterization with Jonas, I figure he is just a small time crook that has just recently gotten a taste of adventure and learned that he can make more money that way. Maybe he'll change his mind; I don't know weather or not Daj will let me steal all the loots ;)

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Every group needs to guy that runs around after combat and likes to rumage dead bodies :D

When it comes to reward items it is up to the group (or a sneaky rogue) to decide who gets what.

Like I said before. I am all for letting you guys do whatever you want. Just don't be supprised if the other PCs slit your throat in the night for taking all their purples. :P

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't know how, but skimming that last sentence quickly, I though you were insinuating that I am a puppy thief.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    EDIT: Removed tokens from post since they are in OP now.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bok Choi wrote: »
    I don't know how, but skimming that last sentence quickly, I though you were insinuating that I am a puppy thief.

Hah.

Hmm now I have to figure out a senario in which you would benifit from stealing someone's puppies. I'll work on that :lol:

Dajian on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dajian wrote: »
    If noone else sends me something they want me to use I'll just make some on my own.
    I can't find a good portrait, so make something up that resembles a human female.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How many players will you accept? I have several character ideas I'm dying to play...

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think I am going to actually use a different portrait I found of a 4e Teifling. I'll just get around to uploading it.
    Here you go:

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How many players will you accept? I have several character ideas I'm dying to play...

I think in order to keep the game moving I am going to keep it to five, but if someone drops I'll send you a PM.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ok, All the icons are up let me know if you want something different or a link to the full size image for your sheet.

Just waiting to hear back from rabbit and for Lardalish to pick a character name and I'll put up the IC.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ok, Ive got a short background on the character sheet, if you want more just let me know and I can elaborate. The name's Jefferson Andrennen.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Did you want us to post a background/personality sort of thing?

I haven't had time to write Jonas' up yet, but I can get that done tonight if need be.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Up to if you want to have a solid background made up and posted in this thread or if you want to let it develop in the IC.

The IC thread is up Here

Feel free to interact with the Mayor, each other, or anyone else in the room. This is just RP time to let you guys ramp up.

I still have not heard from rabbit. If I still have no response by tmorrow morning I'll go shopping in the recruitment thread for another defender.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So did we arrive at the city, fight off a wave in progress and are now at the inn?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yup. Some how either together or indivdually you all arived during the day and helped to finish off the remaining Kobolds that the Villagers had not dispatched themselves.

Unfortunatly a couple more villagers lost their lives before you arrived in town including the blacksmith's son.

The days fighting is now over and pretty much everyone in the village is in the inn celebrating their vitory, but also morning the loss of those that have fallen.

Per the hooks I provided your charcaters would have known that this has been going on for several weeks.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    STATUS UPDATE: If we don't hear from Rabbit by noon EST today I am going to give the defender spot to someone else.

Currently you guys are just kicking it in the Inn. Keep getting to know each other in the Inn and asking questions all you want. Once we have had the full party speak with the mayor we will move on.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    rabbit221rabbit221 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shit sorry I missed this guys I've been busy with quitting my current job and starting my new one so I'm gonna have to miss this one, but I've been playing with some friends IRL! Hope to catch you guys around sometime, sorry again for holding you guys up.

rabbit221 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No worries Rabbit it happens.

I'll go grab a defender in the recruiting thread.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Molotov is going to be joining in. He has a Minotaur rolled up but based on the setting I asked him to do something with the PHB races. Probably be a day or so before he gets in full scale though.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, presenting:

Brother-Librarian Bayerth Querioyllon, Eladrin Paladin of Ioun.

Brother-Librarian Bayerth hails from a small sect of Ioun-worshippers known as the Order of the Book. Dedicated to the pursuit, preservation, and spread of knowledge in all areas and disciplines, they have many itinerant holy warriors who seek hidden (or forbidden) lore and works and share knowledge of the same with anyone who cares to ask. Brother-Librarian Bayerth is one such wandering crusader, who sees the unearthing of secrets and the teaching and passing on of information as a divine calling. As such, he is never far from a book, and never without a pithy quote, aphorism, saying, story, tale, fable, parable, poem, or haiku....

MolotovCockatoo on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I wanted the Minotaur.
    Seriously; Minotaur>Eldarin.
    Though the librarian sounds pretty neat, Jonas might have to pick his brain regarding arcane and powerful secrets.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So are we waiting on Moltov to make an IC post since he got in so quick? Or are we waiting on Dajian to make another IC about everything / the next step.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can make an IC post but I want to hear back from Dajian that my new character is alright first.

And yea the Minotaur is cool, but I understand and agree with him that it might not have fit so well with the campaign.

(He's actually on a quest from his village to raise wealth to fund the construction of a labyrinth for them - they also worship Ioun, and they need a place to have quiet contemplation in ;D )

MolotovCockatoo on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I can make an IC post but I want to hear back from Dajian that my new character is alright first.

And yea the Minotaur is cool, but I understand and agree with him that it might not have fit so well with the campaign.

(He's actually on a quest from his village to raise wealth to fund the construction of a labyrinth for them - they also worship Ioun, and they need a place to have quiet contemplation in ;D )

He looks good man. I'll have to work in some cool books for you.

As soon as Bayerth addresses the Mayor we will move forward.

Dajian on
  • Options
    MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cynic Jester, I looked at your character sheet and noticed you calculated your hitpoints wrong. You don't add your Con modifier, you add your Con score.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mahoshonen wrote: »
    Cynic Jester, I looked at your character sheet and noticed you calculated your hitpoints wrong. You don't add your Con modifier, you add your Con score.

Durr, too much 3.5 lately. Fixed.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks Mahoshonen. I guess i should double check everyone's sheet before we get into combat.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Can I get a marching order from you guys. Just something along the lines of "I want to be in front/back/flanking"

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Flanking.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also flanking.

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How does this marching order seem to you guys

MarchingOrder.jpg

Dajian on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, that will work.

Also, could I see the full size version of my icon?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png