Options

Stories of terrible teachers

• Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    callius I have met you two

natasha is stronger than you
    Opening things has little to do with strength but an understanding and ability to apply physics.

Still, she's not stronger than me, doggie.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Right into a trap.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    :O
    Yeah, with everything that's gone down this week that one little thing almost pushed me over the edge.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know you probably get this all the time here, but Synth, your sig scares me. Like, I just want to put it out of it's misery.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I know you probably get this all the time here, but Synth, your sig scares me. Like, I just want to put it out of it's misery.
    His sig is the awesomest Pikachu.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    I Is The MooseI Is The Moose Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    worst teacher i ever ran to was the one that didn't swallow (hee hee)

I Is The Moose on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Phys Ed teachers were total cunts.

I had one called Mr Powers that we eventually got fired because he used to hit and push kids around. He'd grab kids by the back of their necks, and thrust them into walls. He'd also pinch you really hard on the back of your arm.
    Eventually the parents went ape shit and he got the sack.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Remember connector pens?

2276704717_c68c2446be_o.jpg

I used to make guns with them in classroom. Really awesome guns.

Then my 6th grade teacher snatches them out of my hands and throws them in the bin.

When he wasn't looking, I sneaked up to the bin, Solid Snake style, and took the pens back.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I Is The MooseI Is The Moose Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i knew a music teacher who threw chairs at kids

also a middle school gym teacher who would make a habit of going through the girls' locker room on occasion and teaching class smelling like booze and cigars

I Is The Moose on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh,

one time we went on excursion to the beach. Our cooking teacher came along, and she was... ugly. After we were finishing up, she comes up to my group of friends and says, "Oooh, I got sand in my clunge"
    Everyone was all D:

No joke.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    oh,

one time we went on excursion to the beach. Our cooking teacher came along, and she was... ugly. After we were finishing up, she comes up to my group of friends and says, "Oooh, I got sand in my clunge"
    Everyone was all D:

No joke.

well its not like she said it got in her vagina

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh yeah, we also had male teachers that would constantly eye ball all the young girls. It was creepy to say the least.

Just sometimes in class, you'd catch their beady little eyes look a girl up and down.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh and also, on retreat (basically like camp, but we were on this really cushy estate type thing), a teacher had sex with a student. The day after it happened, everybody knew about it. Shit spread like wildfire.

The girl (student) nearly killed herself over it.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The only film, besides Grave of the Fireflies, that I can think of to match that description would be Akira.
    are you blind or something

Meh, the post wasn't there when I said that. It's kind of tedious to refresh the page every time I feel like posting something, and stuff gets overlooked sometimes.

As for Grave of the Fireflies... well, it was very good, but It didn't quite bring me to tears. I came close, but more than anything I resented the main character at the end, for being a negligent dipshit.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got smacked around by my elementary school principal once. Someone did every week or two. Even when she wasn't beating on them, she had no idea how to deal with kids. There were some suspicious inconsistencies in the bits of the budget she had control over, including siphoning funds out of the PTA for school projects so she could meet budget goals.

We eventually found out that she had spent a year at one of the wealthier schools in the district, but parents complained. The school I was at was in one of the poorer neighborhoods, though far from the poorest. That didn't look good.

She stayed there for three years before she, according to a letter she sent, left to further her education.

Last I heard, her husband had left her and she was running a cash register at a department store.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Barefoot Gen was written as a manga by a survivor of the Hiroshima blast. He wanted to spread the word so nothing like it would happen again. If Grave of the Fireflies made you cry, imagine going to the Atomic Bombing Museum in Nagasaki or Hiroshima. Actually seeing a carbon "shadow" on a wall that used to be a person. I lived in Nagasaki for 4 months as an exchange student. It was a wonderful time, but the first time you go to the museum, words can't really do it justice.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As for Grave of the Fireflies... well, it was very good, but It didn't quite bring me to tears. I came close, but more than anything I resented the main character at the end, for being a negligent dipshit.

Yeah, during the end of that movie I still go "Dude, swallow your pride and go back to your fucking aunt RIGHT NOW! This ain't a game motherfucker! PLEASE!"

TankHammer on
  • Options
    ShikaoShikao Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    alivatna wrote: »
    My internet searching proved successful! The film she showed was called "Barefoot Gen."

Here's a clip from the bomb dropping;
    (Horrible, emotion-wrenching clip)

Awkward as fuck watching this in class.

Holy shit, that made me sick.
    Why the fuck did the teacher show you that?

Shikao on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah, during the end of that movie I still go "Dude, swallow your pride and go back to your fucking aunt RIGHT NOW! This ain't a game motherfucker! PLEASE!"

Kanty, did you ever know that you're my hero?

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Years ago I had an art history teacher who was basically a waif of a woman with no brains at all in her head. She stuttered constantly by saying "basically" and "essentially" about three-dozen times over the course of a lecture and demonstrated on several occasions that her brain had totally checked out years ago.

During the first week of class she had us watch the opening to the movie "The Mummy" and point out all the flaws in their model of ancient Egypt, both architecturally and historically, which was fun. She concluded that the movie clearly was not historically accurate (yeah, it's "The Mummy" with Brendan Frasier. Uh-duh!) and then went on to query whether we thought the then-upcoming film "Constantine" with Keanu Reeves was going to bean accurate representation of history.

I couldn't believe she thought that was going to be about Emperor Constantine of the Roman Empire, knowing full-well that Keanu Reeves would be playing the titular role.

That was also the very first class I ever accidentally fell asleep in. Monotone, soft voice + dark room + boring slides = ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz...

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Then do my goddamn portfolio homework for me. I got the ADD like an uberbastard right now. I just want to sleep but I am already behind!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man, my meds wore off over an hour ago, I'm the last guy you wanna bother about homework right now.

Goatmon on

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh oh oh!

I had a photography teacher right at the start of high school who spent all of the first class asking 11 year old kids what the difference was between a normal photo and an artistic photo. It turns out that out of two identical photos, only the one that is taken with the intention of it being art is art!

L|ama on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Oh oh oh!

I had a photography teacher right at the start of high school who spent all of the first class asking 11 year old kids what the difference was between a normal photo and an artistic photo. It turns out that out of two identical photos, only the one that is taken with the intention of it being art is art!

Well... yes?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    She spent an entire hour asking us that repeatedly and for some reason thinking that we would know that definition, as we sat there staring at her blankly. This wasn't actually a photography class either, just a (compulsory) art class where we ended up making some shitty woodcut prints.

Thankfully, this made me realise that art for the sake of art, especially in high school, is 99% utter bullshit.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    She spent an entire hour asking us that repeatedly and for some reason thinking that we would know that definition, as we sat there staring at her blankly. This wasn't actually a photography class either, just a (compulsory) art class where we ended up making some shitty woodcut prints.

Thankfully, this made me realise that art for the sake of art, especially in high school, is 99% utter bullshit.
    Well then I guess you don't know what art is.

Basically, art is anything that you choose to elaborate on based purely on personal taste instead of necessity. Deciding what colours you paint your room is "art" in that sense, as long as there was a considered approach to how they would like the room to appear.

Saph on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If a definition of art makes deciding what colours to paint your room art then it is a bad definition of art.

Which is not to say that there are not artistic manners in which one might decide to colour a room.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haha, I just watched that "Mormon" video again

I can't decide whether the guys who made that video are spreading lies on purpose or actually believe that stuff is true. Or whether it's a joke video.

I've never felt such a combination of annoyance, curiosity and mirth
    :x
    :|
    :lol:

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am a terrible teacher. I don't prepare classes before hand and spend the entire lesson making fart noises with my elbow pits

Franko on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I think a big problem here is that instead of trying to explore this question (which has been in debate since forever) you and your classmates just sat blankly, slack-jawed and drooling, while your art teacher was trying to get you to figure out why something is art as opposed to just doing the assignments.

"Art for Art's Sake" is more of a study of intent and motivation. Even a piece that looks like utter random shapes and colors, if painted by a talented artist, will still convey meaning or evoke a certain mood in an observer who is willing to put in the time to try and figure it out.

Art is about communication. If you don't ask the question, you don't get the answers so of course it's bullshit. Just like a class sitting in disinterested silence while a teacher tries to provoke them into creative debate.

Of course your teacher could also be a big phony and your class really was boring and pointless.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    NerindilNerindil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I couldn't believe she thought that was going to be about Emperor Constantine of the Roman Empire, knowing full-well that Keanu Reeves would be playing the titular role.

In hoc signo vinces...hu-huh.

Nerindil on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My gr 2 teacher was accused of molesting a girl in my class, and then revealed that he's gay in court. I keep running into him now and I have to wonder if he knows I know.

My gr 10 history teacher used to drink scotch during class.

I had a teacher who taught "careers" (a bullshit course that they get the teachers who cant teach anything else to teach because they just say stuff like "The technology market is going to continue to expand, go into it" and they mark your resumes. Really I have no idea who would ever think making this a mandatory course was a good idea) She lost my ISP (worth 15% of final mark) and then proceeded to accuse me of never handing it in, she then told me she wasn't marking any of my work until I started taking her course seriously. Somehow (despite losing that 15% from the ISP, and having her refuse to mark any work I did thereafter, I ended up with an 87% in the course... and yes, I realise that it is mathematically impossible)

I also had some awesome teachers though, like my english teacher that let me do a talk on why age discriminatory laws should be abolished, in which I actually suggested pedophilia should be legalised (which I dont actually believe) but got the teacher to agree with me.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah he really liked you

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KessaKessa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Art for Art's Sake" is more of a study of intent and motivation. Even a piece that looks like utter random shapes and colors, if painted by a talented artist, will still convey meaning or evoke a certain mood in an observer who is willing to put in the time to try and figure it out.

I have to agree with this statement. You know that "Where the Hell is Matt?" video that was posted here in the travel thread? Anyway, I was like hey, cool song, I wanna hear that again. About the third time into it, I just started bawling. Just reading about people's vacations and places they want to go see, I start crying so hard I can't see through the tears. Look up the words (on his website), and apparently they mean:

Young brother, young brother, be quiet
    You are crying, but our father has left us
    He has gone to the place of the dead
    To protect the living, to protect the orphan child.

Talented artists really do know their shit, you see.

Kessa on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Then do my goddamn portfolio homework for me. I got the ADD like an uberbastard right now. I just want to sleep but I am already behind!

Failure is not an option! I swear to god there will be muffins if you keep this up.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge is actually pretty awesome and it sucks you didn't get to see it :(

This is late

But Teefs, you are very correct. Owl Creek Bridge was fucking awesome

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All I got from my high school experience was an English teacher who was practically the real life version of Hank Scorpio from The Simpsons.

Newtron on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Newtron wrote: »
    All I got from my high school experience was an English teacher who was practically the real life version of Hank Scorpio from The Simpsons.

This is awesome.

I had a few awesome teachers in high school. The most memorable was this history teacher who had his name changed to Mr. Stoneking for teaching, kept a like 600 year old katana in his room for cutting papers in half, and played the imperial march when passing out tests/exams

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My own high school was pretty small, so maybe my stories aren't as bad.

But still, let's see, I do have some.

First of all, the principal was pretty much one of the worst people I have ever encountered in my life. A rulemongering petty tyrant who would give a student a suspension for not saying "good morning" to her. Hell, like 3-4 teachers quit over the course of my high school years because of her.

(sorry if I sound a bit butthurt)

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Franko wrote: »
    I am a terrible teacher. I don't prepare classes before hand and spend the entire lesson making fart noises with my elbow pits
    so you're a dadaist art teacher?

Faricazy on