As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stories of terrible teachers

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Part of the reason I gave up on university is because I realized just how much of the system is entirely dependant on whether or not your profs like and respect you and in many cases has nothing to do with your academic performance.

There's just too much politics for me.
    Thankfully, all I had to do as an English major was write really good essays to make my profs like me

On the flipside though, an English degree is about the most useless degree you can get, so...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Part of the reason I gave up on university is because I realized just how much of the system is entirely dependant on whether or not your profs like and respect you and in many cases has nothing to do with your academic performance.

then stay out of the politics! make a wow account and stfu, you whiny bitch.

Fun fact: While there may, in fact, be a lot of forcible anal sex going on around here SE++ really doesn't operate like prison.

You don't make yourself look like a big tough guy by trying to pick an e-fight with someone who already posts here.

Also explains why he's socially retarded.
    It just makes you look like a tool.

What did I do to you to warrent this sort of internet aggression? Nothing. You're attempting to troll and flame a man for no other reason than trying to assert your e-dominance.

It's sad.

Also, 10 points will be taken from Gryffindor for the unironic use of the term "stfu".

What're you, 14?

apparently he's in college but hasn't learned a thing since middle school because he's horribly addicted to MMOs.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Houk wrote: »

Thankfully, all I had to do as an English major was write really good essays to make my profs like me

On the flipside though, an English degree is about the most useless degree you can get, so...

Hey I've got an English degree and it's uh.. well...

Fuck.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

In this sense I was very lucky to be a part of a small department in a large university - by the end of my second year I was on good terms with pretty much all of the people that would be teaching my core courses.

Usagi on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

for reals

i was under the illusion that high school was a joke that didn't matter and college was serious, focused study

turns out it's still the same grade/favorites game where what matters the most is your ability to shlorp shlorp and not your actual skill.

but i want the degree and I'm a whore so it's on the knees for me!

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    vsove wrote: »

One of the smartest things I ever did in University was find about 4-5 profs who seemed to really like me, and then try and take almost all my classes from them.

As a result, the only times I got screwed over were when I had to take any required courses from different profs.

See, I hate that you're right, and that this is the best way to go through university. University should be about learning, and proving what you have learned, not playing politics and egos.

Although, I suppose it's arguable that depending on your degree, playing with all these politics and egos will prepare you for what your occupation of choice will really be like.

Well, I got lucky in that the classes that were run by the profs who liked me also happened to be the classes that I found most interesting. One prof taught a bunch of classes on literature, technology and cyberculture. Another taught almost exclusively about Irish literature. In that sense I got lucky, as my interests and my own sense of self-preservation in regards to good grades managed to coincide. But generally I agree, the whole idea of politicking your way through university seems contrary to the whole concept of the educational institution.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's not like I got too much pride to play the dicksucking politics games with university professors.

It's just that I'm lousy at it.

Pony on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What did I do to you to warrent this sort of internet aggression? Nothing. You're attempting to troll and flame a man for no other reason than trying to assert your e-dominance.

It's sad.

Also, 10 points will be taken from Gryffindor for the unironic use of the term "stfu".

What're you, 14?

Pony, you didn't stroke his ego and accept him as a beloved friend after he said he loved your avatar, and now he's lashing out like a senile old man that no one will listen to.

You should have catered to his every desire!

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This also explains why he's socially retarded.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

then stay out of the politics! make a wow account and stfu, you whiny bitch.

i think you're on the wrong forums, sir.

howabout you try this establishment instead?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I was in High School my Spanish teacher was just extremely hot, and the guys in my class would always compare her to Salma Hayek. She was from Mexico so she taught us Spanish that we could actually use, which was great. She was also married to my History teacher, and he was a really cool dude too.

In the summer between my Junior and Senior years they moved to Texas to be closer to her family and we got this new teacher for Spanish that was fresh out of college and teaching us textbook Spanish and just was not hot at all.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey now he might be spergin
    But I hope to god he's not
    Motherfucker is not going to give me a worse name

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

This is one of the reasons I'm going to hit up the technical school again. That, and if I get my schooling too slowly I'll get lazy, so I need a schedule that rides my ass.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Fuck.
    Exactly. I mean, you can't even pretend it's a useful degree. You say 'English degree' and everyone knows.

It's not like a communications or sociology degree, where you can convince some people it's really very important

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Hey now he might be spergin
    But I hope to god he's not
    Motherfucker is not going to give me a worse name

Totally possible.

But being a spergolicious is no excuse for being a douche.

I mean you may say ignorant things sometimes (alot) wiggin but it's not generally out of malice.

Pony on
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

Pony, you didn't stroke his ego and accept him as a beloved friend after he said he loved your avatar, and now he's lashing out like a senile old man that no one will listen to.

Really, I am confused with your desire to think I am trying to dominate you. Are you a girl or something? Did your daddy hit you as a child?

Your comment about Holden Caulfield infuriated me, sir! You dare mock him for being a whiny bitch and then cry about "giving up" on university? Die.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Fuck.
    Exactly. I mean, you can't even pretend it's a useful degree. You say 'English degree' and everyone knows.

It's not like a communications or sociology degree, where you can convince some people it's really very important

An English degree would probably put you in a decent position to be a technical writer. So it gives you a leg-up, without work experience, and with only an undergrad degree. My philosophy degree is often referred to, along with other classics degrees, a very good starting point for law or business school, but doesn't do jack for work opportunities on its own.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

Really, I am confused with your desire to think I am trying to dominate you. Are you a girl or something? Did your daddy hit you as a child?

Your comment about Holden Caulfield infuriated me, sir! You dare mock him for being a whiny bitch and then cry about "giving up" on university? Die.

What you need to do is stop being so stupid.

I mean it's like the abstract concept of stupid was bored one day and thought 'hey, I know, I'll make myself an account on the Penny Arcade forums and start posting!'

And thus you were born.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

Holden Caulfield was a whiny fucking bitch and you're a goddamn retard
    Christ, is summer over yet?
    Or is One Fiddy back yet, at least?

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

I'll be here in September, I assure you. And I suppose I am a "goddamn" retard because I can't think of a word to describe how hard I am laughing right now.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    you need to stop feeding them, see? not even after midnight, just any old time of the day.

that never made sense to me about the Gremlins movies, too. technically, isn't any time but midnight "after midnight"?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i never did have any need for all of that fancy book larnin'

noluit on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Don't know much biology
    Don't know much about history

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    you need to stop feeding them, see? not even after midnight, just any old time of the day.

that never made sense to me about the Gremlins movies, too. technically, isn't any time but midnight "after midnight"?

Without an end time specified, that's true.

I always assumed that you could feed them after sunup though.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Fuck.

An English degree would probably put you in a decent position to be a technical writer. So it gives you a leg-up, without work experience, and with only an undergrad degree. My philosophy degree is often referred to, along with other classics degrees, a very good starting point for law or business school, but doesn't do jack for work opportunities on its own.
    This exact reasoning is actually why I classify English as roughly the second-most useless degree, right above said philosophy degree.

Mind you, it's mostly tongue-in-cheek, since just having a degree can work to your advantage in the right spot

I still regret my English degree though. But I have a feeling I would have failed out of any other program.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

but any time but midnight also qualifies as "before midnight" which means that *haed asplode*

noluit on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Skyisburning, let me give you some advice
    Stop being fucking retarded
    Lurk a little, and then go back to posting
    Because you are being a goddamn idiot

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I am not the one being mean. =( /wrists

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I didn't say "mean"
    I said, "goddamn idiot"
    Learn how the place works, and then give it another shot

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You should read the rules thread and come back after lurking for a while, dude.

You really don't know how things work around here, especially if you think trolling endears you to anyone.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Fuck.

This exact reasoning is actually why I classify English as roughly the second-most useless degree, right above said philosophy degree.

Mind you, it's mostly tongue-in-cheek, since just having a degree can work to your advantage in the right spot

I still regret my English degree though. But I have a feeling I would have failed out of any other program.

I was actually halfway to a Computing Science degree when I hit a series of classes where the profs just bored the living fuck out of me. That's when I thought to myself 'do I really want to be writing code for the rest of my life?' So I switched to English, figuring that I might as well do something I enjoyed in university and I'd sort the rest out later.

This haphazard approach to life has worked for me thus far, but I wouldn't recommend it :P

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I am not the one being mean. =( /wrists

I'm so confused.

I wonder if it's two people switching a keyboard back and forth.

Septus on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

I'll be here in September, I assure you. And I suppose I am a "goddamn" retard because I can't think of a word to describe how hard I am laughing right now.

Hey, people are giving you a pretty good chance to stop the bullshit. You should probably take that chance and stop being a dick... if you keep it up, there's no turning back.

-EDIT-
    That last bit sounded a lot more ominous and cheezy than I intended.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buddy Lee wrote: »

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

Hey, people are giving you a pretty good chance to stop the bullshit. You should probably take that chance and stop being a dick... if you keep it up, there's no turning back.

See: Wiggin, Burden of Proof

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey now, I've improved in the last year

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One thing that used to be really cool about the Ontario school system is that you had the option of choosing to come back for an extra year of high school.

This extra year, called OAC (Ontario Academic Credit), was basically 1st year university level course material, but you got it for free.

There was no point to taking it if you didn't want to go to university, but if you did, it looked really good on your applications and it made 1st year a lot easier because you've learned a lot of this stuff already, and many of the OAC courses were like "Okay, this is how you would do it in university".

It was a great program and I enjoyed all but 1 of my OAC courses.

Pony on
  • Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's sad.

What're you, 14?

Dude, why are you infuriated at a fictional character getting called a whiny bitch? Unless you're the person Holden was based off of, you've got no room to complain.

GoldenSeducer on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I was actually halfway to a Computing Science degree when I hit a series of classes where the profs just bored the living fuck out of me. That's when I thought to myself 'do I really want to be writing code for the rest of my life?' So I switched to English, figuring that I might as well do something I enjoyed in university and I'd sort the rest out later.

This haphazard approach to life has worked for me thus far, but I wouldn't recommend it :P

Yeah, philosophy was my way of just getting through college. It was the first thing I hit on that was genuinely interesting enough to get me to work at it.

I have zero regrets about choosing that, among other liberal arts degrees. What I possibly regret, is not getting into a science field, even with all the terrible math that would go along with it.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

you are pretty much consistently the Most Improved Forumer

h5 lil guy

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

you are pretty much consistently the Most Improved Forumer

h5 lil guy

Hi5
    Really though I couldn't go much further downhill so it's all improvement from there

Me Too! on