Options

Stories of terrible teachers

13468915

Posts

  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    guys shouldn't write letters unless the girl is in beirut

    Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Problem with letters is that you can't adjust your tone or your words depending on how your audience reacts.

    So you're pretty much committed to whatever your original tone was.

    Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it isn't the best thing either.

    vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah pretty much letter writing is a terrible idea

    even it's modern equivalent, the confessional i have feelings for you email

    it points to cowardice.

    Pony on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Guys who write letters are the creepy ones who breathe really heavily when within ten feet of a girl and like to touch them ever so lightly

    Note that I only wrote it at the suggestion of a mutual friend
    Because this girl is literally my best friend in the world and I really don't want to mess that part up

    All I'm sayin' is, letters are one of the least enticing confessional mediums

    Much better than me stammering awkwardly trying to get it out
    Trust me on this one

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Guys who write letters are the creepy ones who breathe really heavily when within ten feet of a girl and like to touch them ever so lightly

    Note that I only wrote it at the suggestion of a mutual friend
    Because this girl is literally my best friend in the world and I really don't want to mess that part up

    All I'm sayin' is, letters are one of the least enticing confessional mediums

    Much better than me stammering awkwardly trying to get it out
    Trust me on this one

    As long as the letter wasn't creepily stained or crumpled and sweaty, I think you'll be OK.

    Usagi on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    Problem with letters is that you can't adjust your tone or your words depending on how your audience reacts.

    So you're pretty much committed to whatever your original tone was.

    Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it isn't the best thing either.

    Love letters to a girlfriend are cool though.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    Problem with letters is that you can't adjust your tone or your words depending on how your audience reacts.

    So you're pretty much committed to whatever your original tone was.

    Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it isn't the best thing either.

    Love letters to a girlfriend are cool though.

    Right, so long as you don't suck at them.

    I had a friend once who actually asked me to proofread his love letters to his girlfriend.

    That was an emphatic 'no way in hell'.

    vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Wait so you got a D because your lab partner was a shitty student?

    A bad lab partner can fuck your shit up pretty bad

    250px-Unterbheit.gif

    tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So guys this one time I had a really terrible teacher.

    It was AP English Language and I got a 5 on the exam but a C in the class.

    She basically hated me for no apparent reason. I think maybe she was intimidated by my insightful questions, like "Why do all the books you chose for us to read feature main characters who make foolish decisions that lead to the ruination of their lives?"

    Quoth on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My fifth grade teacher had no discipline and gave us more work than necessary.
    We had these daily things called "Sponges" where we had to write a paragraph about a given subject, and not use words like "and", "but", and "or". I was bullied constantly, and she did jack shit about it. Some idiots thought it would be funny to take stuff from other people's backpacks in their cubbies, put the stuff in my bag, and kick my pack around. They were found the same day, but I didn't find out who until the next day, because the teacher told me to send a note to the office about it while she "interrogated" the class. All they had for a punishment was writing me a couple of apology notes. Also, my third grade teachers were batshit crazy. We had two teachers, two rooms, and twice as many students, but we were all taught the same way. When it got too loud, everyone, even those not talking, had to have invisible tape over their mouths. Actually, that's how it always was at my school. If it got too loud for the teacher, instead of saying for people to quiet down, and those responsible were slightly punished, everyone got in trouble.
    also, my first grade teacher just hated me for no reason. she said I did badly when I finished everything ahead of schedule, and she said I was rude when I was, in fact, a little angel in my early years. I, the fastest and best reader in the whole class, was told to stop reading so quickly. She couldn't handle someone who eventually read at a college level in fifth grade. And when some little liar said she read fifty books in one day and was rewarded for it, I said she couldn't possibly have done that, and I was lectured to not be mean! basically, fuck the establishment. ANARCHY!

    Antimatter on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tsplitter wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Wait so you got a D because your lab partner was a shitty student?

    A bad lab partner can fuck your shit up pretty bad

    250px-Unterbheit.gif

    this was a high quality post

    Pony on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know what that is.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't know what that is.

    a victim of a bad lab partner

    Pony on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Wait so you got a D because your lab partner was a shitty student?

    A bad lab partner can fuck your shit up pretty bad but his story does seem a little off still.

    I should qualify the rest of the situation:
    The genetics lab course is required for only a few specific science programs. One is my oddball degree. The lab has only a dozen or so seats and the college has ten thousand students, so most of the class is filled up with people from the honors program early registration deal that opt to take this "optional" class. So, there's some assumptions that can be made about the quality of the students in this class.

    I get paired, randomly, with a guy who seems completely ordinary among honors students. Nothing abnormal comes up in the chats we have while we work. He volunteers to do some of the annoyingly difficult lab work, as do I, and we trade off work pretty evenly. Everything seemed pretty good.

    When midterms come around and I have a 0 in many of my lab grades, I figure out what was going on. I'll never know what the fuck this guy was thinking. He shows up early for 4-6 hour labs, stays the entire duration, and does all the work required, but it's all terrible work. He does stuff to permanently damage lab equipment, even when the professor gives perfectly fine directions. He never turns in a weekly lab report, and thus has no chance to pass the course. I thought he had turned them in because he always got to class earlier than I did -- he lived a block down the street from the lab, anyway.

    I never really looked over the shoulder or criticized the work of anyone ever before in any of my classes, so this was a pretty big shock to me. We weren't allowed to work on reports with others, so I had no idea how he was handling the reports or work outside of the lab. I simply didn't force him to do everything right on the lab work, and he managed to piss off the professor with work I didn't directly observe.

    This lab involves breeding fruit flies and doing completely mundane counting/recounting exercises for 4-6 hour periods at a time. Also, you had to come in lab frequently outside of the normal hours -- the professor hasn't changed the class experiments in over thirty years and hasn't altered them to fit schedules. The lab work is filled with archaic methodology that isn't really used anymore. I have no idea how someone could enjoy this shit. The professor obviously didn't. On the other hand, he was happy enough to show us his current research work during lab.

    I mean, if you're going to fail a class, why show up and waste hundreds of hours doing shit that will only hurt others? He even showed up outside of class to "help" me between labs. Hopefully I'll never have to see that waste of humanity ever again.

    re: tsplitter: ahahahahaha

    kaleedity on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    The only really bad teacher I had was Mr. Hart. He was my history teacher in high school. I would ditch his class lot, and a friend would supply me with all the homework and everything so I could turn it in when I went to his class next. Toward the end of the year, I had a high F. He told me there was no way I was going to pass his class unless I got 95% on his final. He said this for everyone in the class to hear.

    He was handing them back by asking the people to come up to his desk and he would give it to them. He called my name and I walked up, grab my final. I looked at the 99, I looked at him, I then turned around and said 'Well, Mr. Hart was being a dick when he told you all I was going to fail. I passed.'

    I walked out of the room at that point.

    Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At my school you brought in your own books to read at the start of the day. When I was 10, Pokemon was all the rage so I brought in a Pokemon book, which she confiscated. Why? "Because it teaches the theory of evolution"

    Also I'm a pretty talented cartoonist and this same teacher would tell me to 'stop drawing like that' for work which we were allowed to illustrate.

    Saph on
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    and now to learn some macroeconomics, the most important class in my network administration progam

    see you all in three hours!

    tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sometimes I think macroeconomics should be taught in the same place as religion because they are both feeble attempts by humans to find order and meaning in a chaotic, heartless and irrational world. And they are both pretty much fantasy.

    Quoth on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    you know i went to catholic schools from elementary through to high school

    and it was very rare for me to encounter religious-oriented retarded bullshit.

    Pony on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Saph wrote: »
    Also I'm a pretty talented cartoonist and this same teacher would tell me to 'stop drawing like that' for work which we were allowed to illustrate.

    Buh.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Saph wrote: »
    At my school you brought in your own books to read at the start of the day. When I was 10, Pokemon was all the rage so I brought in a Pokemon book, which she confiscated. Why? "Because it teaches the theory of evolution"

    Also I'm a pretty talented cartoonist and this same teacher would tell me to 'stop drawing like that' for work which we were allowed to illustrate.

    were you drawing with a kawaii anime manga style ^_^

    because high schoolers who do that shit need to be slapped

    Pony on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only really bad teacher I had was Mr. Hart. He was my history teacher in high school. I would ditch his class lot, and a friend would supply me with all the homework and everything so I could turn it in when I went to his class next. Toward the end of the year, I had a high F. He told me there was no way I was going to pass his class unless I got 95% on his final. He said this for everyone in the class to hear.

    He was handing them back by asking the people to come up to his desk and he would give it to them. He called my name and I walked up, grab my final. I looked at the 99, I looked at him, I then turned around and said 'Well, Mr. Hart was being a dick when he told you all I was going to fail. I passed.'

    I walked out of the room at that point.

    So what, you were a class-skipping slacker and he told you that you had to ace the final to pass, which was the truth, and you called him a dick for it?

    Way to go, dude.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    tsplitter wrote: »
    and now to learn some macroeconomics, the most important class in my network administration progam

    see you all in three hours!

    Every college student should have to take a macro econ class. I don't give a shit what major. Macro econ and some sort of finance course that provides at least some sort of understanding of payments and interest.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    shibby you are consistently ignorant to what makes you kind of an asshole

    Pony on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would like to know what horseshit course this is but even if you did do what you claim you proved his point even more by passing with a grade like that.

    Even when achieving an impressive goal you are still a moron.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Saph wrote: »
    At my school you brought in your own books to read at the start of the day. When I was 10, Pokemon was all the rage so I brought in a Pokemon book, which she confiscated. Why? "Because it teaches the theory of evolution"

    I thought shit like that didn't happen in England

    FAQ on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So what, you were a class-skipping slacker and he told you that you had to ace the final to pass, which was the truth, and you called him a dick for it?

    Way to go, dude.

    I got the impression that he did well on all of his assignments and tests, and that his high F was mostly due to attendance. This would be dickish on the part of the teacher, unless attendance was clearly stated at the beginning of the class, to be such a huge portion of the grade.

    Edit: But then, this is highschool, which I kind of glossed over.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    So what, you were a class-skipping slacker and he told you that you had to ace the final to pass, which was the truth, and you called him a dick for it?

    Way to go, dude.

    I got the impression that he did well on all of his assignments and tests, and that his high F was mostly due to attendance. This would be dickish on the part of the teacher, unless attendance was clearly stated at the beginning of the class, to be such a huge portion of the grade.

    Edit: But then, this is highschool, which I kind of glossed over.
    Attendance was the reason. At first he stated it as being only 25% of the grade, but seeing as I was ditching so much and getting A's on tests and homework he bumped it up to 40%. He was just trying to get me to fail and I didn't. I fail to see how I was wrong when he was trying to make it so I didn't pass his class.

    Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bumping it up to 40 is reasonably gay

    FAQ on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Because just because someone else is an asshole doesn't make it OK for you to be an asshole back
    Only if it's going to be really funny

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i loved high school

    it was an enjoyable experience

    Pony on
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In high school I had a world history/psychology teacher who would break down and cry every class. Epic semester.

    Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i loved my oac sociology class

    my teacher was both intrigued and terrified of me because that was the year i had started to fully accept my condition and stop concealing it.

    Pony on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    secondary school (high school) was great

    FAQ on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    So what, you were a class-skipping slacker and he told you that you had to ace the final to pass, which was the truth, and you called him a dick for it?

    Way to go, dude.

    I got the impression that he did well on all of his assignments and tests, and that his high F was mostly due to attendance. This would be dickish on the part of the teacher, unless attendance was clearly stated at the beginning of the class, to be such a huge portion of the grade.

    Edit: But then, this is highschool, which I kind of glossed over.
    Attendance was the reason. At first he stated it as being only 25% of the grade, but seeing as I was ditching so much and getting A's on tests and homework he bumped it up to 40%. He was just trying to get me to fail and I didn't. I fail to see how I was wrong when he was trying to make it so I didn't pass his class.

    Typically that 25% is only the case for a few absences. Once you exceed those (3 or 4) the professor reserves the right to out right fail you.

    Also, this was high school? What kind of high school doesn't suspend students for skipping class?

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I failed almost every course in my second semester of 9th grade due to poor attendance.

    everything except phys ed

    Pony on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    i loved high school

    it was an enjoyable experience

    The first three years of high school sucked dick for me
    They were just god-awful and I hated it
    I actually got sorta numb after a while and stopped caring, and really wasn't planning on missing anyone and just wanted to get it over with and go home
    And then I got to senior year and I met the girls and it was a fucking blast, and I'm really going to miss them in the fall

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my first two years of high school were composed of drugs, booze, partying, promiscuity, sports, and clubs.

    i actually did very little school, but i did just enough to pass.

    then i went through rehab mid-way through grade 11 and started to turn my life around and things were even better.

    Pony on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had like the most uneventful high school career ever

    Very few parties, only a couple girls, nothing really crazy

    And man, it still managed to be pretty much the greatest thing ever cuz I had a small group of kickass friends

    Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    I failed almost every course in my second semester of 9th grade due to poor attendance.

    everything except phys ed

    Where I come from skipping class/school gets you suspended and you don't get pass by doing well on finals.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
Sign In or Register to comment.