Options

Stories of terrible teachers

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    I had like the most uneventful high school career ever

Very few parties, only a couple girls, nothing really crazy

And man, it still managed to be pretty much the greatest thing ever cuz I had a small group of kickass friends

That's what this year ended up being
    I worked some shitty jobs, I made some good friends, real friends, and I learned some stuff along the way

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    So what, you were a class-skipping slacker and he told you that you had to ace the final to pass, which was the truth, and you called him a dick for it?

Way to go, dude.

I got the impression that he did well on all of his assignments and tests, and that his high F was mostly due to attendance. This would be dickish on the part of the teacher, unless attendance was clearly stated at the beginning of the class, to be such a huge portion of the grade.

Edit: But then, this is highschool, which I kind of glossed over.
    Attendance was the reason. At first he stated it as being only 25% of the grade, but seeing as I was ditching so much and getting A's on tests and homework he bumped it up to 40%. He was just trying to get me to fail and I didn't. I fail to see how I was wrong when he was trying to make it so I didn't pass his class.

Typically that 25% is only the case for a few absences. Once you exceed those (3 or 4) the professor reserves the right to out right fail you.

Also, this was high school? What kind of high school doesn't suspend students for skipping class?
    The kind where everyone does really well but doesn't show up. I'm being completely honest, in a class of 30 I would be surprised if 20 people where in that class on any given day.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    I failed almost every course in my second semester of 9th grade due to poor attendance.

everything except phys ed

Where I come from skipping class/school gets you suspended and you don't get pass by doing well on finals.

In my school, 16 absences without a valid reason (like notes from a doctor or something), you fail the course.

It doesn't matter how good you do on anything.

You fail.

Pony on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    well in all fairness

16 is a lot of fucking absences

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I didn't fail PE in 9th grade because it was my last class of the day

so I could get up at like noon and still show up in time for the class

plus i really liked PE.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The coach docked me like ten points for not trying on one of the fitness tests this year.
    I did one push-up, one sit-up, and laid back and relaxed.
    Coach was not pleased, but fuck her, I only had like two weeks of school left.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I failed almost every course in my second semester of 9th grade due to poor attendance.

Where I come from skipping class/school gets you suspended and you don't get pass by doing well on finals.

In my school, 16 absences without a valid reason (like notes from a doctor or something), you fail the course.

You fail.

In my school 10 unexcused absences typically resulted in expulsion.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait

with zot's OP

how did his teacher fuck him over? sounds like he didn't do the work and didn't get a high enough grade

Raneados on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    wait

with zot's OP

how did his teacher fuck him over? sounds like he didn't do the work and didn't get a high enough grade

it says the teacher lost the quizzes he had taken

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In my 9 years of college( changed majors after 2 years of undergrad) and grad school, I had maybe 3 or 4 mediocre teachers, but no one that I'd say was actually bad. I can't be too sure about some of them from my first year because, like mr. dumbshit troll, I played too many video games and didn't go to enough classes. I never saw any of the blatant favoritism that people have mentioned here. I'm not denying that i happens, just that I never once saw it in way too much college with a wide variety of classes. The best teachers were always those with a lot of enthusiasm for their subject and the ability to simply communicate the material.

However, it never hurts to met your professors. This way they know you care and they can recognize your face. Human nature makes them give you the benefit of the doubt for essays and such. As a teaching assistant, I tried to be very objective, but if I saw two similar papers that were fairly bad, I would still probably give the student I knew a slightly higher grade because I could see that they were working on it earlier and not just skipping class.

Of course this all comes from someone who loves learning new things, so take what you will from it.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

And man, it still managed to be pretty much the greatest thing ever cuz I had a small group of kickass friends

Sophomore year for me was pretty awesome, for my standards at the time. I had made a really good new friend the prior year, and then made another two, got a Playstation and fell in love with games again, and had a lot of fun with my best friend just hanging out and walking around downtown on weekends.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    wait

with zot's OP

Turns out my asshole teacher forgot to mark a shitload of quizzes he was supposed to have marked weeks ago, and I hadn't done them apparently (although I know for a fact that I did do them and his stupid organizational system of just letting stuff lie all over his desk somehow failed him).

Sounds like his beef is that not only did he actually do the work but if the teacher had given him an accurate number in the first place he could have had a shot at fixing the situation before it was too late.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    PE is one of those subjects that is always awkward when i am in a social setting that is nerdy as fuck

like an anime con or chit-chatting with dudes at the comic book store

people are like "ugh i hated PE and sports fuck sports and also jocks what assholes"

and i am like uh guys i liked PE and sports and played football and hockey :|

and then it gets awkward

Pony on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    but PE was lame at my high school because we never played any real sports.

We only played dodgeball, badminton, and ping pong.

And we occasionally ran track.

It was boring. I would have loved to play soccer or something.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony do you ever look at your post after you make it and go "aw look at those cute nuzzling ponies all pastel colored and adorable" because that's what I do.

Quoth on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Ping Pong in PE? Sounds like the best PE class. Except for the fact that a friend and I would form a team, dominate everyone until we got to the Asian team and hand our asses handed to us.

Pretty much every sport we did in PE, my team which consisted of my friends in that class and the team of Asian kids would be in the finals for that sport. My PE teacher liked doing tournaments for everything. We always lost to the Asian kids, except baseball. We fucking creamed them in baseball to the point where the teacher called mercy rule and had us start subbing in kids from the other teams.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Septus wrote: »

Sophomore year for me was pretty awesome, for my standards at the time. I had made a really good new friend the prior year, and then made another two, got a Playstation and fell in love with games again, and had a lot of fun with my best friend just hanging out and walking around downtown on weekends.
    Yeah we did a lot of stuff like that

Had the best multiplayer gaming years of my life in HS, with Goldeneye and Diablo and shit

Sometimes my street would flood and me, my friend, and a couple girls would take my shitty-ass truck and go hydroplaning

Dumb shit like that makes for the best memories

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PE is one of those subjects that is always awkward when i am in a social setting that is nerdy as fuck

like an anime con or chit-chatting with dudes at the comic book store

people are like "ugh i hated PE and sports fuck sports and also jocks what assholes"

and i am like uh guys i liked PE and sports and played football and hockey :|

and then it gets awkward

The only reasons I failed PE were

A) I didn't care for running laps around the track

and

B) I didn't participate at all for the dancing part that was required

I loved it when we actually played some sports though (with the exception of field hockey, fuck you for forcing me to play right-handed when I play hockey left-handed).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SA wrote: »

how lame

in my PE class we did stuff like obstacle courses and soccer and tennis

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    SA wrote: »

Man we don't even get to play dodgeball, because it promotes violence and aggression
    Which, who fucking cares, that's the point of the game

Me Too! on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You fail.

mine was 7

but to really dick you over, each class missed was a separate unexcused absence

the wook on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the wook wrote: »

You fail.

mine was 7

so if you missed one day, every period would count towards your 7 total?

how does that school have any students

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the wook wrote: »

You fail.

mine was 7

so if you missed one day, every period would count towards your 7 total?

how does that school have any students

everyone went to class. always.

the wook on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my professors are pretty much all awesome so far. highly intelligent, enthusiastic, professional and fair

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Once it got to the end of the year, some of the teachers stopped caring if we showed up or not
    On the last day, I walked into forensics long enough to tell the teacher that I was taking off and she was like "Cool, have a nice life and good luck in college"
    Went and wandered around the school and hung out with various other people who had the same idea for the period

Me Too! on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man in PE we pretty much just played games all the time
    of course with grades, but it was soccer, volley ball, beach volley ball, dodgeball :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    apparently PE at my high school now consists of lifting kegs over your head

the wook on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just switched my Earth Climate Systems class for Beginning Painting

best idea ever?

yes

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    PE at my school was actually three things in one course.

One part was physical training and fitness. Sports and games and stuff.

The other part was "Health Studies", which was actual work with books and tests, it was sort of like a combo of basic kinesiology with biology.

The third part was "Family Studies", which was basically sex ed.

Of course, "Family Studies" was also a component of Religion as well, so if you had those courses in the same semester sex ed got really annoying.

Pony on
  • Options
    sedosedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my professors are pretty much all awesome so far. highly intelligent, enthusiastic, professional and fair

Me too, hi5 for no stories.

My high school dropped you from the class at only 3 cuts. But then, it was pretty much all university professors' children, so they would have gone to class anyway. In fact I am fairly sure that at least 20% of them were in fact studybots.

sedo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    PE at my school was actually three things in one course.

One part was physical training and fitness. Sports and games and stuff.

The other part was "Health Studies", which was actual work with books and tests, it was sort of like a combo of basic kinesiology with biology.

The third part was "Family Studies", which was basically sex ed.

Of course, "Family Studies" was also a component of Religion as well, so if you had those courses in the same semester sex ed got really annoying.

yeah, we had a health/sex ex 'PE' class also.

but we had an awesome selection of PE classes. I think the classes I ended up taking were health (requisite), weightlifting, racquet sports, and bowling. I had a reduced PE requirement because of varsity sports.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I didn't do jack shit in gym this year
    The girls and I would find out what the choices for the units were that time around, and then pick the one where we could chill in the corner and talk for the period

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i just don't understand the nerd-hate for sports

i don't.

i don't understand why a dude who liks comic books and anime and dungeons & dragons decides to go "you know what i am going to be a total ponce about my physical fitness and completely refuse to participate in or enjoy any manner of sport"

lots of nerdy dudes don't do this

i just don't understand the guys who do

Pony on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just am not an outdoorsy person to be honest.

It's not a RARGHHS hate sports.

I do not mind physically exerting myself

It's more an "well, I just don't find that fun"

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I don't hate sports at all
    I just don't enjoy them very much
    And gym was always terrible, as far as making you actually do something

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's hot down in Texas, I don't like to go outside down here.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i've run into nerdy dudes who are outright hostile towards sports and the people who enjoy them

upon questioning i discover that most of the time the people who express these opinions were rubbish in PE and were made fun of for it and they associate sports and anyone who enjoys sports with being made fun of and emotional pain.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah see I don't do that at all
    Like there are dudes who are like "nah that comic stuff ain't for me, but you go ahead and read 'em anyway"
    I'm like "nah that sports stuff ain't for me, but you go ahead and do it anyway"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    sedosedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i've run into nerdy dudes who are outright hostile towards sports and the people who enjoy them

upon questioning i discover that most of the time the people who express these opinions were rubbish in PE and were made fun of for it and they associate sports and anyone who enjoys sports with being made fun of and emotional pain.

Uh I think you understood the nerd-hate right there. I mean, you can't expect people to be rational with regard to their mental hangups.

sedo on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've always disliked American Football. I'll watch the superbowl and maybe a few college games at gatherings to be social.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031