As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spyware/Adware virus

ProhassProhass Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have up to date Norton and Windows virus protection and am running Vista. When clicking on folders I get this message:

CRITICAL ERROR!

Attention! Prohass! Some dangerous viruses detected on your system
Windows Vista Home Premium files corrupted
This may lead to the destruction of important files in C:\Windows.
Download protection software now!

Click OK to download anti-virus software now (recommended)

So far i cant seem to find a way to get rid of it.

Prohass on

• Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Has Norton actually found an infected file? Also, shut off system restore, because if Norton is getting rid of it, it's just backing itself up in system restore.

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Full system scans dont seem to come up with anything. Ive downloaded Spysweeper and some program called Spyware Search & Destroy. Scannign with them too now.

On a side note, ive had another problem with my norton, it seems to constantly insist its off, warning me to turn it back on, but its all green, all ticks, its on, and its got priority over windows defender and such. I think its unrelated though, as that has been happening for quite a while.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Caught a bunch of stuff in the scan. But as I suspected, none of it fixed the problem. Still getting the message.

Prohass on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is system restore on? The virus or spyware is probably backing itself up in there. Google "Shut off system restore" for easy steps to get it shut off.

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shut it off. Scanned again. Nothing. Reset and still happening.

I also suspect it was to do with cracks for adobe software. Ive deleted all the software and crack files from my computer. Reset, scanned. Still happening.

Im not sure what to do here. If I backup my important files (Images and documents and such) and reformat theres probably a chance the virus will follow the backed up documents onto the comp again right?

Prohass on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This sounds like you have a trojan. As for your programs unless that's Webroot Spy Sweeper get rid of it. Most of those programs are scams. Spybot SD is very good. Comodo BOClean is free and worth running. It will nail any running malware programs.

Go to Eset.com and download the free trial of their NOD32 anti-virus and use it. This is the best anti-virus programs around.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Turn system restore off and run in safe mode. Run off a boot disk if you can. I even tried booting with a linux disk and running a scan that way without success.

You should be fine backing up your files and reformatting, and honestly that's probably the quickest course of action unless you can find specific removal instructions for your virus/trojan on the web (unlikely, but possible). Would be worth running a scan on your backup files to be sure, but they aren't going to be high priority targets for infection or spreading.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You've probably got one of the nasty trojan cocktails - Virtumondo/Virtumonde/Vundo, or some kind of SmitFraud variant. If you post a HijackThis log on the appropriate forums on BleepingComputer or MajorGeeks, they can walk you through the disinfection process.

DrFrylock on