Options

• • • Page 23 • • • [NSFW]

• Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would definitely approve of more thumbnails- nay- I DEMAND more thumbnails....

wait... that makes me sound like some sorta troll quest in world of warcraft....

more tiny pictures!!!

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would definitely approve of more thumbnails- nay- I DEMAND more thumbnails....

wait... that makes me sound like some sorta troll quest in world of warcraft....

more tiny pictures!!!

I will say that doing these has definitely changed my perspective on thumbnails a bit...because god, I typically hate doing thumbnails...but these were enjoyable to work on, and I figure I should better start really liking the process if I want to try for concept art, in any case.

I'm definitely a rendering addict. It's my favorite part out of anything.

I'm considering doing some more environment thumbnails now, but with a landscape orientation, rather than a portrait, like the above.

Either that, or I'm going to do a bunch of costume thumbnails. Maybe both! We shall see.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I've still got a row more to go before I'm "finished" with this set...but here's a handful of character dudes that I suppose fit a "medieval" kind of look (though one guy kinda looks Roman). I was looking for feedback before I try for the last row. These also took me a bit longer than I wanted - the first row was good and fast, rough...and then by the third-row, I was blending and trying to "perfect" things. Blah! I need to learn how to be speedy.

I've also got a Female character sheet that I'm thinking of filling up with a different theme...maybe medieval royalty?

MaleSheet.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, I'm really liking this one. Good job mixing it up. I kept looking for repeat stuff, but couldn't really find any. :^:

Also, the landscapes thumbnail one was awesome as well.

Edman on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't like these as much as the enviro thumbs, but still great. The first guy in the bottom row especially.

Tam on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How is SCAD, anyway? It's where I'm looking at right now and it'd be great to here from someone who is actually there

also, great thumbnails

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that sounds totally rad, thanks!

Projeck on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Those location thumbs are some sexy sexy thumbs.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My biggest gripe with the character thumbnails is that they're all fairly conservative, which in turn makes them feel very generic. If you converted them to silhouettes, there are few really defining characteristics about the shape of the costumes that make them stand out from one another. This is something that's much more difficult for realistic or historically accurate character design, but it's still really important for making characters that are easy to identify.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'd say that maybe you're using a few too many spiky bits on these.

I had a brainfart when I realized I was looking at a cupcake on the second row and I rolled around on the floor laughing for a good minute. Well played.

Tam on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I remember Matt Groening in a Futurama commentary talking about how important it was that his characters be identifiable in silhouette - hence Bender's antenna, Leela's ponytail, Fry's little hair bumps etc.

Ain't nothin' wrong with your silhouettes there, unless you're trying to create something with an iconic silhouette, in which case I'm not sure you've managed that.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personally for this set I'm a fan of spiky bits, I would say its dependent on what your going for, but for the sake of variation perhaps mix it up some more with spiky and non spiky ones.

I imagine its harder to do without the spiky bits though in the sense that flowing forms are not as easily defined in silhouettes.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2008
    you gotta be fucking kidding me

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    good lord, ND. nice work!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited October 2008
    how the fuck did you do that... thing... with the eyes

and the

and

jesus, woman

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's pretty good. I've yet to try clay at this level.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Great work on the stubble, ND.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think nightdragon needs a bit more kudos from me since I know she's been working so hard.

df_kudos_366.jpg

PROX on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The hair is my favorite part and I don't even know why.

Godfather on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Very nice work ND, I have never done any sculpting myself so I can't offer much of a critique but I do like it.

*edit* Also that cord hanging from his hair looks like it would have been a pain in the ass.

rts on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I knew looking at it though that it was a pain, and it does look good.

Great work.

rts on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hunnid's giving you mad props, ND.

Tam on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is hot, ND. I'm loving the eyes especially.

Brolo on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Amazing!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow that is incredible work.

Veritas on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks...so real...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks...so fucking awesomely real...

Seriously ND, amazing job. I especially love the detail of the stubble, eyebrows... well everything, but you did a great job on the hairy parts.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    First, this is totally awesome and blows the only thing I've ever done like this out of the water. That being said there are a few things a noticed, but I'm only gonna mention the one that seems applicable to future efforts. The eyes are AWESOME looking, the most alive part of the entire piece. However, they also seem slightly large. Now this could be intentional, part of the character design to give him that extra emotive potential, but if it was your intention to make them completely lifelike I think they ended up a bit largish. I imagine this happened when you were adding all the detail to the eyelids, it looks like you made some extra space between them and the eyeball itself to add that great shadowing affect, but it also seems to have increased the apparent size of the eye. I guess just keep and eye on that in the future ~

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    First, this is totally awesome and blows the only thing I've ever done like this out of the water. That being said there are a few things a noticed, but I'm only gonna mention the one that seems applicable to future efforts. The eyes are AWESOME looking, the most alive part of the entire piece. However, they also seem slightly large. Now this could be intentional, part of the character design to give him that extra emotive potential, but if it was your intention to make them completely lifelike I think they ended up a bit largish. I imagine this happened when you were adding all the detail to the eyelids, it looks like you made some extra space between them and the eyeball itself to add that great shadowing affect, but it also seems to have increased the apparent size of the eye. I guess just keep and eye on that in the future ~

Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, I only noticed that they were too large after baking the head. On the one hand, I WAS going for realistic, but not super-realism...and I suppose he looks similar to how I draw people in general.

Making the eyes large/small enough is probably one of my biggest difficulties in drawing - and I blame my anime-drawing days for that! Seriously, ever since then, it's been like ingrained into my subconscious. It's really hard to get out of.

Thanks though, I'll keep that in mind...and now that I know it's NOT just me, I'll be sure to focus on making my eyes the proper size in my future stuff. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah it can be hard overcoming weird habits you develop when you first start, like me, I tend to draw faces with the nose and corresponding sections of cheek being reaaally extra long. But sometimes you can embrace that and make it a stylistic choice that gives some uniqueness to your work, so it's not all bad.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow. Fuck.

This reminds me of a 3d videogame model for like Fable or something. I love how you actually carved out to achieve depth that technically goes outwards (like with the pupil and the stubble).

To me, from the front view the hair doesn't quite fit the features, and that diagonal on the left side makes me think there's some sort of indent in his head. But then the side views reveal this not to be the case. I don't know what that is, it's probably not a problem, but it makes the hair/skull cap look weird from the front view.

Oh wait, I know what it is. I think the eyes are a little high up (not midway down the skull), and perhaps the hair is too flat against the skull. The only logical statement I can think of to describe the discrepancy my eyes are seeing is "The hair isn't big enough." The hair style is cool, but I think it's making the top of the skull flat.

I think this probably arose because it was flat before you put on the hair. I may have helped to actually shape out the full skull rather than making the face like a mask on a smaller skull, and then adding hair.

Does any of that make sense? I don't know. I'm dealing with something so amazing, it's hard to say if what I'm seeing is a flaw of the work or just my eyes.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty awesome ND, pretty awesome indeed.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GnarkillGnarkill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I find this absolutely amazing. The expression on his face is so real, it's like there is something in his eyes, almost quizzical.

Gnarkill on
    My Flickr moran85