As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Woes

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey PA Forum Goers,

It's time for me to goto college, or at least get ready to apply. I've been home-schooled my entire life, and after graduating I had no plans to further my education. I'm now twenty years old and I'm suddenly realizing how difficult it is to get a good job without a degree. Here's my dilemma: I have no idea how I'm going to afford college, or where to start.

My goal is to work in the game industry. I already have a year of industry experience under my belt (a non-paying world builder position at Simutronics) and I'm a decent artist. However, I'm a self-taught artist and I think I've reached my limits. You can see some of my art at www.jameshaskin.com/gallery.html, or here at the PA:AC.

I started looking into colleges. Damn, are they expensive! How am I supposed to pay for this? Student loans, FAFSA, scholarships? Well, I don't want to be in debt for the next twenty years; I can't figure out if I'm supposed to apply for college and then FAFSA or the other way around; and I haven't a clue of where to find scholarships.

And finally, are there any art programs you'd recommend? Right now I'm looking at the BAGD at DigiPen in Redmond, Washington. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the wall of text.

-James

nakirush on

• Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just one quick bit of advice: Don't let tuition fees dissuade you. College debt is a fact of life for most students nowadays but the education you get will give you a much greater return. Especially nowadays it is ever more important to be somehow qualified in SOMETHING to separate yourself from the crowd.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Search for DrFrylock's advice about the games industry.

We really need that shit stickied.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You say you want a job in the games industry, and with art jobs most places don't really care about your degree. They just want your portfolio. At least that's what I've heard over and over about art positions.

As for DigiPen... not so much a good idea if money's a problem because they charge an arm and a leg and a pancreas. Since it's your portfolio, not your degree, that'll be getting you your job, I'd look at something cheaper. And anything is cheaper than DigiPen.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Search for DrFrylock's advice about the games industry.

We really need that shit stickied.

Agreed. Here's the link if you were too lazy to look it up OP.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks guys. :) I had seen that post earlier, but had to leave for work and didn't get a chance to reply. My main goal as an artist is to work with concept art. I was looking at the Game Design to branch out and learn new skills to help strengthen my resume.

Are there any art schools you'd recommend? Anything good and affordable?

nakirush on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've heard lots of great things about DigiPen, without them we might not have gotten Portal. :)

Zilla360 on