As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassins Thread - Tell us what you liked/disliked!

• MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got killed sunday, as I was leaving the Spore panel. Whoever got me got the soundtrack from Katamari Damacy, so whoever you were I hope you like it!

Never killed anybody, which kinda sucked, and I was killed too late to do any of the stealth kills, so 0 points for me :( But I had a good time. Thanks Mars!

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know the solution. Remember when we were first discussing ways to display badges in the first place? At one point the arm bands came up, where the card would be strapped to your arm. That would be perfect. Anyone with that flipped over would have to have done so intentionally, and would be an obvious cheater. It would also prefect being covered by cosplay, folded arms, camera bags, or anything the person was carrying. All in all, the game was fun... cept I did kill johnny nero, and his kit seemed to be missing the kill card, but oh well :P I got some awesome puppet guy from him :)

EDIT: Wow somehow I completely missed that page... lol
    HotSake wrote: »
    We just need a different method of displaying the badge. I recommend the ID holders runners and bike riders use. It straps the card to your upper arm securely so it's always visible.

yeah.. what he said :)

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The game was so much fun!

I never did register my kills though...the site was always broken when I tried. I'm sure it was a lot of work to try and put that all together though, so great work and thank you to those responsible!

I agree that it would be great to have some type of arm band. Larger letters for the silent kill too (I'm sure that's already been suggested).

My biggest suggestion is that we all play again next year!

eye-shuh on
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The site should work now eye-shuh (also, thanks for the mention on your blog, it made my day!) and if you or anyone else runs into any difficulty entering kills, I'm more than happy to help you out, even if I have to enter them in myself for you.

I'm taking notes on all your suggestions. I can promise you we're going to have a way to wear the badge so it won't flip and the codes, or at least a code, will be at minimum twice as big, probably more.

A leader board will be available shortly so you can view the rankings. If not tonight, then deffinitely tomorrow. The first 30 players to place will be receiving a special beta invite to test out our new game next year, so register those kills! For those didn't make the cut but want in, all I can tell you is we've already made the way forward available to you. You know during the whole con only one person asked me what those dots on the badge were for?

MarsChelios on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aww crap. My card is packed somewhere *safe* from the train trip, so I'll probably not find it in time. I'm sorry, Hikari, but you might have died in vain- well, except now I have a cool snowman so I can remember PAX and you fondly at Christmas.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i never could enter anything into the website, my main problem.

Also the rules need to be explained better, because I killed MaoChan, but since it was the symbol but not the color he didnt understand that I sucessfully killed him, so he walked away.

so yeah, thats my two cents.

The_Reflection on
    edited September 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Aww crap. My card is packed somewhere *safe* from the train trip, so I'll probably not find it in time. I'm sorry, Hikari, but you might have died in vain- well, except now I have a cool snowman so I can remember PAX and you fondly at Christmas.

Don't worry, you can register Primary Kills until Friday at midnight, the leaderboards are just so people can see how they stacked up as kills are registered.

MarsChelios on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there a place to enter my beta key yet?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to have to play next year. Hopefully. ^_^

MeeOk on
    edited September 2008
    Is there a place to enter my beta key yet?

Not yet, but it will be up soon so you can get a spot, this weekend or next week is likely. It's going to take some time before we can bring you guys in to test things, but I hope that will be around Christmas.

MarsChelios on
  • MordkayMordkay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So what are those dots?

and how do I know if I got into the beta?

Mordkay on
    Mordkay.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    as much as I wanted to participate and be the informant, there were just too many people at PAX for that to be successful. Oh well, it was still fun to see who was playing. :D

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ReighvinReighvin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Although I saw several people playing, it was next to impossible to get close enough to read their codes without being noticed. And at one point, I noticed somebody who had my symbol, so I immediatly left the area before they could notice me.
    I say put them on the arm, and make the Tier 2 codes much larger.

Reighvin on
    edited September 2008
    One option we were discussing was to have 2d bar codes as the kill code. Take a picture of the code to register the kill. This was part of a larger discussion about making iPhone-specific apps to run the game.

I had the idea to introduce a sort of "Silent Running" mechanism where you could ping for your target and get some kind of location information, anything from a direction to precise GPS coordinates. This would have to carry a drawback like revealing your own location to your target and/or your hunter to make it a strategic choice. It could even devalue the target when you eventually kill them, based on if/how often you pinged.

Both of these ideas are dependent on all players having certain hardware/software with them during game hours, so they're not really practical right now.

In a different context, I'd like to pursue the idea of issuing the necessary hardware to players. Something like a wristband device that can register kills, facilitate tracking, activate special abilities, receive missions...sort of a Pip Boy that everyone has. I'd have to charge a deposit for it of course, and I'm not sure how to deal with players simply not wearing it to become untraceable. On the other hand, if they don't have it, they can't benefit from its use either, and missed/failed missions would carry a penalty.

Once smart phones are sufficiently widespread that I can just release a software package for everyone to run, this will be a lot easier.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited September 2008
    Lots of Cool Sounding Shit

Sounds complicated, but fun if it can be done :) Also, how do I get credit for killing Johnny Nero... he didnt have a card... I do have his badge code tho...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, don't worry about it. :)

Actually, I'm honestly more concerned about your liking the game I gave you along with the snowman, more than your getting the points for killing me. ;) I'm active enough in the DROD community to really care if someone I gave a copy of that to at the con enjoys it, and you're the only person who had a 'normal' conbadge that I gave one of those to, so you're *probably* the only person I'll have a real chance of hearing back from on that one.

HikariStarshine on
    edited September 2008
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    Lots of Cool Sounding Shit

Sounds complicated, but fun if it can be done :) Also, how do I get credit for killing Johnny Nero... he didnt have a card... I do have his badge code tho...

Shoot me an email or PM with your badge code and I will take care of it. Johnny told me about losing his card at some point this weekend.

MarsChelios on
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i forgot to say in all of this, not only was it a lot of fun and i would really like to do it (or something similar) again, but most importantly

THANK YOU MARS!
    you went to a lot of trouble for this, and it's important that i get across how much i appreciated it.

Petesalzl on
  • MordkayMordkay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    THANK YOU MARS!
    you went to a lot of trouble for this, and it's important that i get across how much i appreciated it.

Yeah even after all the complications and what not, it was really awesome and enjoyable to play this on my first trip to PAX. Thanks Mars :D

Mordkay on
    Mordkay.png
  • AtomicFreakAtomicFreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JonnyNero was actually the one who killed me as a secondary target.

And yes, much thanks Mars...it was definitely a great side project while at PAX!

AtomicFreak on
    TheAtomicFreak.gif
    theatomicfreak.png
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We just need a different method of displaying the badge. I recommend the ID holders runners and bike riders use. It straps the card to your upper arm securely so it's always visible.

I think this is a great idea.

And also... maybe making it a bit more interesting.. if you cant find your target and it's been 24 hours, maybe you could complete an online/real life task and get a snippit of info about them. Like description, or areas where they are most likely to be, or any physical traits that might make them more recognizible.. or even a photo. That might amp it up a bit.
    You know during the whole con only one person asked me what those dots on the badge were for?

I considered it and then figured it was just to make it look futuristic. :|

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited September 2008
    Thank you, guys! I'm just glad it went well and everyone had a great time.

Also, the leaderboards are up now, found here, looks like MacCartney is in the lead with an impressive 54 points!
    Sumi wrote: »
    You know during the whole con only one person asked me what those dots on the badge were for?

Yeah, that was part of it as well, but there are secrets hidden in those dots.

MarsChelios on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

haha, that was me, but i don't believe i got the answer, or maybe just forgot.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • PanopeaPanopea Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My main suggestion for this game would be to let more people play, since I think I saw maybe 15-20 other people playing the whole time.

Both my friend and I lost our kill tags at one point, so that was kind of a bummer; easily fixed by putting the tag into a keychain.

Panopea on
    edited September 2008

Also, the leaderboards are up now, found here, looks like MacCartney is in the lead with an impressive 54 points!
    Sumi wrote: »

Yeah, that was part of it as well, but there are secrets hidden in those dots.

my first thought was braille... but i cant make any sense of it when comparing it to a chart... so on to other ideas... oh, i know! connect the dots!
    2qjkp44.jpg
    LOL... what is it really?

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, don't worry about it. :)

Actually, I'm honestly more concerned about your liking the game I gave you along with the snowman, more than your getting the points for killing me. ;) I'm active enough in the DROD community to really care if someone I gave a copy of that to at the con enjoys it, and you're the only person who had a 'normal' conbadge that I gave one of those to, so you're *probably* the only person I'll have a real chance of hearing back from on that one.

I have to admit I haven't installed it yet because my game time has been primarily catching up with farming for my raids. I will let you know by PM when I get it installed (depends on platform when, I'm assuming PC and I'll have to go hunt for one of those) But I did go out looking for Fluxx today from the train ride home. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

YES!! Not last. I worked hard to get freakin 9 tier 2 kills. Who got me once? I saw someone tier 2ed me once too.

sum10fishy on
  • ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    doh. I should have realized it was Baudot code...

well done.

though I'm a little confused by the decode....
    Are you sure you don't want to figure it out yourself?
    I even said what kind of code it is...
    ok, if you're sure....
    Secretsoftheancientsarehiddenindunaich

seekoutthemythos wppo

Back on topic: My only real problem was that I hardly saw ANYONE wearing badges, and none of the ones I saw were either my target, or the same as my own, for that matter. And half the problem there was that lanyards by nature spin around, so 50% of the time, I might have to ask someone else to turn their lanyard around, or several people asked me to turn mine around. Could the cards be printed on both sides?

Also, I don't think all the people playing were wearing their player button. And one guy I ran into had broken off his target designator preemptively. I don't know if that's against the rules or the spirit of the game, but he ended up looking like he'd already been killed.

ariocksayssquee on
    edited September 2008
    doh. I should have realized it was Baudot code...

well done.

though I'm a little confused by the decode....
    Are you sure you don't want to figure it out yourself?
    I even said what kind of code it is...
    ok, if you're sure....
    Secretsoftheancientsarehiddenindunaich

seekoutthemythos wppo

Back on topic: My only real problem was that I hardly saw ANYONE wearing badges, and none of the ones I saw were either my target, or the same as my own, for that matter. And half the problem there was that lanyards by nature spin around, so 50% of the time, I might have to ask someone else to turn their lanyard around, or several people asked me to turn mine around. Could the cards be printed on both sides?

Also, I don't think all the people playing were wearing their player button. And one guy I ran into had broken off his target designator preemptively. I don't know if that's against the rules or the spirit of the game, but he ended up looking like he'd already been killed.

Well done! However, a few letters are incorrect.

On the note of players, there were 98 people playing and I let anyone who wanted to sign up. This was about 3 times as many players as I had last year for PZ, so I'm hoping we will have more for the next game.

MarsChelios on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyway you can post a list of who had what icon and what target? I'd like to know if my four colors even existed :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DraknodredDraknodred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hell yes, I got second!

If only I had found the person with blue X symbol, I had seen them on friday AND saturday but they evaded me the last half on sunday when they were my actual target :(

Draknodred on
  • Solid_SteveSolid_Steve Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I enjoyed the Assasins experience, but the only thing I could complain about would be the impossibility and random chance of finding another assassin, let alone your target. I don't know where all the assassins were, but I only saw about five, and that includes my killer and Kittenfist.

Solid_Steve on
    Along the shore the cloud waves break,
    The twin suns sink beneath the lake,
    The shadows lengthen
    In Carcosa.
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if it'd be easier to find your target if everyone had to wear like a special Assassin's hat that displayed their current logo or something? It'd make setup of the game a lot more expensive, but I think it'd also make targets easier to find potentially.

Probably financially infeasible, but maybe there's some other alternative that we could do that's similar... something that makes the actual assassins' symbol that you have stick out even when in a crowd.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited September 2008
    I think a some ppl haven't found out how to register their kills.. because I see a few people on the board with 0 points who I think did get a kill.

Sumi on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate hats, not to mention after 3 days of wearing it at PAX...it would be gross. I wouldn't play a game which required some intrusive article of clothing or the like. I can deal with an arm band, but that's about as far as I'd go.

tr0tsky on
    edited September 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I hate hats, not to mention after 3 days of wearing it at PAX...it would be gross. I wouldn't play a game which required some intrusive article of clothing or the like. I can deal with an arm band, but that's about as far as I'd go.

Agree.

Sumi on
    edited September 2008
    Aye, tr0tsky, that is very true. =) I like your armband idea though! That's a good plan! =)

VThornheart on
    edited September 2008
    Aye, tr0tsky, that is very true. =) I like your armband idea though! That's a good plan! =)

Whose armband idea?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited September 2008
    Oh, was it yours? I may have missed prior talk about it =) I only first heard about it in the post from Trotsky above, but that's probably because I missed a couple pages of discussion most likely. =(

VThornheart on
    edited September 2008
    Draknodred wrote: »
    hell yes, I got second!

If only I had found the person with blue X symbol, I had seen them on friday AND saturday but they evaded me the last half on sunday when they were my actual target :(

Sorry to break it to ya, but i actually got second... Mars has to put in my kill for johnny still.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
This discussion has been closed.