As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, so if anybody has any extra buddy keys (one is good, 2 is better), would you mind shooting them my way? The bf and I are enjoying WAR a lot, but T3 destro is kind of sucking on Ostermark at the moment, and we're looking for something to fill the time while we wait the current batch out. Thanks in advance!

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ... the game is shutting down, sir.

Edit: Ok I was thinking of TR there.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are assassins at least balanced so that they do more stealth based damage then barbarians yet? Not that barbarians didn't do more damage in all ways then them at release, but still.

The stealth mechanics in this game are awesome (You have to stay in shadows, harder to see you at night due to a lack of light sources, etc, etc.) and the only reason that kept me playing for so long.

Archonex on
  • Options
    NijiNiji Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Hey, so if anybody has any extra buddy keys (one is good, 2 is better), would you mind shooting them my way? The bf and I are enjoying WAR a lot, but T3 destro is kind of sucking on Ostermark at the moment, and we're looking for something to fill the time while we wait the current batch out. Thanks in advance!

T4 on Ostermark is even worse. You get to beat on the same keep doors every day, scenarios rarely pop, fortress raids are impossible due to lag and bugs, and there is absolutely NOTHING to do in the "off hours".

I'm beating on a keep door right now in fact. That's how involved it is.

Ostermark also has a really dead economy with nothing on the AH compared to the solid population servers. When I found out that the O-RvR influence chalice I had spent so long farming is bugged, the best I could buy on the AH was a level 31 blue... So here I am, level 40 renown rank 44, using a lvl 31 blue chalice. And worst of all, there is no way to transfer to a solid server. Wish I could move my main to my alt's server.

So I'm back on the MMO forums while "raiding" a keep, looking for another MMO to catch my eye... =/

Niji on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I suspect you meant to post that in the WAR thread.

I had very little experience with MMORPG's before WORLD OF WARCRAFT, and after enjoying the heck out of that game I thought that every MMO must be like this, right ?

Sadly, trials of AOC and WAR soon taught me otherwise. WOW is still truly exceptional.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    Its your own fault for rolling on Ostermark instead of a PA server ;x

Unknown User on
  • Options
    NijiNiji Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I suspect you meant to post that in the WAR thread.

Err, no, I meant to post it right in the thread where the person I quoted would be able to see it, since their comment was posted in this thread. And the WAR thread isn't about the Ostermark server, so it'd be kind of pointless to post something about Ostermark to people playing on another server.

I do keep checking for AoC info now and then just in case some major improvements were made. It was so promising of a game and could have been great if it were better implemented and functioning.

Edit: My apologies if I offended anyone. I was mostly trying to warn someone who hadn't yet devoted time to end-game that the server isn't any better later on. And also just in case anyone else was considering rolling a character there.

Niji on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No, no, not offended at all, I appreciate the feedback. We have Order alts on Phoenix Gate and that's going a little smoother, but we just wanted to try something a little different. We also have low-level toons on Badlands and REM if it comes to that, but we were really enamored of the RP servers, sigh.

Sorry, tried WoW, don't enjoy it at all :D.

Amazon.com resellers have AoC for around a buck, so that might be what we do just to see what's going on over there.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Someone said AoC is shutting down? Or was that just a rumor?

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    shanis wrote: »
    Someone said AoC is shutting down? Or was that just a rumor?

A mistake, more likely. Tabula Rasa is shutting down. Looks like he confused the two. AOC looks to be doing fine, aside from the fact that they fired a large number of their incompetent GM's a month ago. About time, too, they had been caught cybering with players, banning people for PVPing, and doing all other sorts of asshattery.

Also, i'm thinking of resubbing to this for a month. Is it really still that bad compared to release?

Archonex on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    20050110h.jpg

815165 on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With the very bad rep this game as when it came out why would you let your Game masters do that to the players that continued to play your game? that just does not make any sense

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »
    With the very bad rep this game as when it came out why would you let your Game masters do that to the players that continued to play your game? that just does not make any sense

It's SWG syndrome. There's likely someone in the developing company that's a complete fuck-up in a management position/position of power. Couple that with the possibility that they could have incompetent developers (IE, the whole Daikatana "artist made a 2000x2000 JPEG arrow for use in the engine sort of thing.) and they can get away with it.

It's a downhill slide that happens alot with games with continual development cycles. Incompetent idiot takes control, new/untested developers start getting hired, and the developers with common sense start bailing out to another company/project before the entire thing tanks, leading to more untested developers/idiots who sympathize with the idiot in control of the project being hired.

Of course, it's also possible that the asshat GM's are still there. But apparently their support staff for the game was greatly reduced, so who knows. It's not like Funcom has a track record of releasing good games right out the door. If Anarchy Online is any indication it'll end up being a phenominal, but overlooked game in a half a year to a year once they get their act together, after nearly going bankrupt from a lack of continued subscriptions.

Archonex on
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I recall having lots of fun with this game, bugs aside, when it was first released. I played with a group of friends for about a month or two. Then we got to lvl 40, and there was no escaping the maw of unhappiness. We had to unsubscribe... or face damnation. I ran so fast I think I left a pair of sneakers back there.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    shanis wrote: »

I recall having lots of fun with this game, bugs aside, when it was first released. I played with a group of friends for about a month or two. Then we got to lvl 40, and there was no escaping the maw of unhappiness. We had to unsubscribe... or face damnation. I ran so fast I think I left a pair of sneakers back there.

I had plenty of fun too. Though, I back at release I started hearing lots of the power-levelers complaining that there was absolutely no endgame content, along with having to grind because there were actually no quests ingame at some levels, which caused me to quit prematurely.

From the looks of it, I was right about the incompetent managers thing, too. The original game director resigned from the company after he cocked up the launch of the game, admitting in his resignation speech that he didn't know what to do to fix the game. Since then, they brought in the guy who's been heading up the development of Anarchy Online for the past few years. After that, some of the more positive things (Jackass GM's getting fired/called to the task for being jackasses, bugs starting to get fixed.) that have happened started occuring.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I had a blast the first 30 levels but after that my interest tapered off especially since my machine was at the very bottom of "acceptable"

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the complete and utter lack of an endgame killed my interest in this game.

I still remember how they went on about how AoC was a PvP game, and then they launch the game without a PvP system at all:lol:

Oh and all the horrible gamebreaking bugs didn't make it better either. Oh well.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    the complete and utter lack of an endgame killed my interest in this game.

I still remember how they went on about how AoC was a PvP game, and then they launch the game without a PvP system at all:lol:

Oh and all the horrible gamebreaking bugs didn't make it better either. Oh well.

QTF

I'll resub maybe in the future if I can somehow convince a friend or two to try it. Hopefully my buddy keys will still be good then.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, I decided to give this another shot, and it's surprisingly...Good, for those interested to know.

Combat's been smoothed out a fair bit, and the classes have been balanced. My Barbarian is a murder-machine.

Though for some reason my dour looking Barbarian is apparently set to ultra-violence mode, scoring quadruple, and quintuple fatalities when my assassin can barely get two in a row. Just now my Barbarian leapt off a hill into a group of three enemies and proceeded to fatality one person with a single hit, ramming his scimitar through his heart, then whirling around and decapitating the next guy with a single swing, followed by plunging both his swords into the last guy's chest and forcefully tearing them upwards, out of his body as the second guy's head lazily spun past him in the air. I'm not sure if that's an intended feature or not, but holy shit is it awesome to watch.

My screen was covered in animated blood after all that happened. Was also probably the most violent thing i've ever seen in a game.

Also, all the classes apparently got revamped so that they don't suck now. Necromancers are especially good, as they act more like a WoW Warlock in that almost every one of their attacks seems to be a DOT with a little up-front damage, except they can have about 12 pets out at once. More if they start chaining fatalities, since they spawn this weird ice demon thing that procedes to rampage through your enemies once it's up.

No clue on how the endgame is yet, though it appears they're working on it. They've added all sorts of endgame armor in for all the classes, including vendor based armor, and PVP based armor. Each with their own unique look for each class, too.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well from my experience of the endgame (resubbed about a month back to check how they were doing) it is pretty poor. The gear is largely completely uninteresting and feels like a bandaid solution to give PvPers somekind of reward (it's really just an atrocious grind)

Otherwise, PvP at 80 seemed to consist of far too much burst damage (my barbarian got two shot by a caster) and far too few avenues to fight in. It is quite dull, really.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    RE AoC being better now: Yeah, but if the Dawn Razors and TOXIC (or toxin or whatever, forgot their name) douchebags are still there, monopolizing the endgame and preventing anyone but themselves from playing there, I would have to start a new character over on a new server, and I certainly don't want to start over.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    RE AoC being better now: Yeah, but if the Dawn Razors and TOXIC (or toxin or whatever, forgot their name) douchebags are still there, monopolizing the endgame and preventing anyone but themselves from playing there, I would have to start a new character over on a new server, and I certainly don't want to start over.

I highly doubt any of the release guilds are still around, or in control of much. AOC bled players in the first few months of release at almost the same rate that AO did when it first came out. From the server I play on, it seems like there's an even balance of power. I was walking through Tarantia and hearing people forming search parties to hunt each other down after one guild member killed another on the region chat. Then again, that's just Cimmeria, don't know about whatever server most of the PAers played on.

Game kind of reminds me of oldschool UO now, what with the ganking, and counter-ganking, and ganking gankers ganking the people who gank others.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

I highly doubt any of the release guilds are still around, or in control of much. From the server I play on, it seems like there's an even balance of power. I was walking through Tarantia and hearing people forming search parties to hunt each other down after one guild member killed another on the region chat. Then again, that's just Cimmeria, don't know about whatever server most of the PAers played on.

I was thinking of resubbing just a month, see how it is now. Do you know if I can move my character across servers of the same type? And if I can, where are the PAers playing, if any are? Also, where are SomethingAwful NOT playing?

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

I highly doubt any of the release guilds are still around, or in control of much. From the server I play on, it seems like there's an even balance of power. I was walking through Tarantia and hearing people forming search parties to hunt each other down after one guild member killed another on the region chat. Then again, that's just Cimmeria, don't know about whatever server most of the PAers played on.

I was thinking of resubbing just a month, see how it is now. Do you know if I can move my character across servers of the same type? And if I can, where are the PAers playing, if any are? Also, where are SomethingAwful NOT playing?

SomethingAwful avoids this game like the plague, judging by their forums, so you don't need to worry about that.

Currently they seem to be doing server mergers for the lower population servers. This is good, and bad. Good because the lower population servers are becoming the higher population servers. Bad because if you have a name on one, and there's someone who has the name on the other server being merged, the person who is subscribed, or if you're both subscribed, and on the same billing plan, whoever has the highest level gets to keep the name.

I just got in on the first server merge today, and found two of my names replaced with "(Name here.)234290", since I subscribed after the merge, due to the fact the other person who had the name on the other server was still playing.

I've got no idea if they allow formal character transfers yet. Though, since they're merging the servers, i'd take a wild guess and say that they aren't, since it would defeat the purpose of a merge.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't have the source at hand, but I'm pretty sure I read that after the server mergers are complete, they will be opening up free server transfers from any server to any server. It looks like we'll be rolling on Cimmeria for now, but if that doesn't pan out it's nice to know the option will be there to switch later.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    I don't have the source at hand, but I'm pretty sure I read that after the server mergers are complete, they will be opening up free server transfers from any server to any server. It looks like we'll be rolling on Cimmeria for now, but if that doesn't pan out it's nice to know the option will be there to switch later.

I think they might be allowing transfers eventually, having done a little research now. However, the game seems anything but sparsely populated at the moment. Every server is currently listed at least being at "medium load", even during the middle of the day when most people are at work, or school. There's a couple approaching low load that are getting merged, I think.

Also, I chose Cimmeria to play on, because it's the only RP-PVP server left. The other one is apparently going to be designated as being a PVP server, according to what i've heard, meaning that the population on Cimmeria should hopefully spike massively soon if the merge for Hyperborea goes through.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The servers have all said medium load since release, even if they were completely full or empty :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'm glad to see that half a year after release, they didn't fix the HoX glitch where coming back from your polymorphed form makes you have very short hair until you remove/equip your hat if you choose to hide hats.

Djiem on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do casters still use a Stamina bar to sprint the same way melee classes do?

That would be hilarious if they haven't fixed that yet...

Grenn on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But are there still BREASTS?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Grenn wrote: »

How is that broken to begin with? Its definitely more beneficial to sprint as a caster rather then a melee guy, but I highly doubt it's anything to be 'fixed'.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, in PVP the stamina bar is one of the few things that can keep casters alive if the heavy melee classes go down. Also, it makes Necromancers a royal pain in the ass to fight, since they can sick a shit-ton of undead knights, or horrors from the abyssal depths of hell or something on you and then just run away and hope you won't catch up.

Edit: There are breasts. Many breasts. In fact, some of the new armor is NWS if you have the maturity content filter off, since it's very tribal looking. Something that was sort of disappointing for me since I can't play this at college, that means. Some of the Pict armor has a "National Geographic, Boobs in Africa" look to it, with tribal armor, weird crazy neck hanging things that look like they'd distend your neck if you wore them for too long, and feathers, and all sorts of other stuff.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Before I quit, when I was playing my necro one of my favorite things to do was just run around some person who was trying to beat on me while my pets successfully beat on them. Then watch them whine and bitch about how I'm a noob and a coward and how I have my pets do all the work. My response was usually how stupid they were for running after me for a minute while my beats slowly killed them.

AoC gankers are stupid.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I had a necromancer do that to me once

Of course I couldn't escape him, or catch up to him either. He sent his pets on me from a long distance away, and ran away from me as soon as I got anywhere near him. When I gave up and tried to escape, he started running after me instead, all the while his pets violating me until he could finish me off.

Incredibly incredibly frustrating.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »

How is that broken to begin with? Its definitely more beneficial to sprint as a caster rather then a melee guy, but I highly doubt it's anything to be 'fixed'.

I'm not going to explain why it's a poorly thought out mechanic, it should be obvious!

There were a bajillion threads about this as soon as the game went live... rediculous that the shortcomings of this mechanic were obvious to everyone apart from the devs.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm not going to explain why it's a poorly thought out mechanic, it should be obvious!

There were a bajillion threads about this as soon as the game went live... rediculous that the shortcomings of this mechanic were obvious to everyone apart from the devs.

Except, there's nothing wrong with it?

Mana-based casters need to stay out of melee, or melee will slice them up in literally two seconds flat. My assassin can kill your average caster in literally one to three seconds depending on whether or not he gets the drop on them. That sprint can keep them alive when coupled with a slow, or root, and give them time to either start lobbing spells to return the favor, or haul ass if the player is massively overleveled compared to them.

Also, it's not like stamina increases all that quickly at the higher levels. Once you hit 25 it takes a fair amount of time to regen all of your stamina. And since stamina is deducted in percentages when sprinting, instead of in static amounts, it gets harder and harder to try and sprint kite as you get on in levels, eventually becoming impossible to do, relegating it to buying you a few extra seconds to drop some nukes on an enemy as they catch up to you, or for your hordes of undead to tear the person limb from limb.

Archonex on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sad that I haven't read this thread for probably 4 months, and it still only took me 5 minutes to read through all of the replies since then.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do female characters still attack slower than male ones?

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, are tempests of set as insane as they used to be? I remember trying to kill one once with my necro. 6 mana drain pets out, casting on him, and he still kept enough mana regen to bounce from about 0% to 20% and kept healing himself enough that I couldn't drop him indefinitely.

Also, a healer should NOT nuke harder than the classes that are built around nukes. Toe to toe, I don't think my demo would have had a chance in hell against a ToS.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    Do female characters still attack slower than male ones?
    Pretty sure they fixed that. Either way, though, I haven't noticed a difference in power between genders. Seen some female characters kick my ass as thoroughly as a male version of the same class.

So, are tempests of set as insane as they used to be? I remember trying to kill one once with my necro. 6 mana drain pets out, casting on him, and he still kept enough mana regen to bounce from about 0% to 20% and kept healing himself enough that I couldn't drop him indefinitely.

Also, a healer should NOT nuke harder than the classes that are built around nukes. Toe to toe, I don't think my demo would have had a chance in hell against a ToS.

They can AOE grind still, apparently, however they aren't as powerful as they were before. In the endgame, it apparently doesn't matter either way for PVE, since the instances require groups (DPS, healer, tank, etc, etc.) to run. In PVP i've killed a few with no problem. It just depends on what class you are, how well you play, and what level you and the ToS are.

Archonex on
This discussion has been closed.