As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Hey Zolden, looking at your sig what Shadowbane server did you play on? :P

I dunno which one he played on, but I played on Death.

Also watching the AoC crash-and-burn from the sidelines just brings back all the old memories of watching AO do the exact same thing all those years ago. It's a damn shame, Funcom.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    death was the LoD/Lok-ri server right?

I was on Mourning.

(also a FG/Class Advocate)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zolden wrote: »
    Soo, I had a 5 year old PC when I got into the beta. I never "actually" played this. There seems to be nothing but snickering and account cancellations now. And I just built a brand new gaming rig that would smoke this game on max settings.

Is there no hope, and no point to getting it now? It seems like there was alot of great reponse the first month, perhaps just from hopefuls, and now it's all anger. Is anyone having any fun still playing this?

The first month was generally positive simply because the huge problems in the game don't really surface until later on. I had a great time for the first month, and then it quickly hit me that there was really nothing else to do after about level 50. People will say, "of course there is! I have 10 quests!" but then come back a week later, heads hanging in shame.

Also, your new gaming rig would likely not smoke this game on max settings, as the engine is horribly coded. Check out the tech forums and you'll see people will $2000 machines getting 15FPS. Then you'll see someone with a Dell getting 50fps. It's an absolute shit show.

But hey... that's all just my opinion.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the game is one of the best MMO's early on

unfortunately it degrades rapidly after that though

and once you reach max level... Well, for me it dawned that the game really was just not finished.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    death was the LoD/Lok-ri server right?

I was on Mourning.

(also a FG/Class Advocate)

Yes, Death was the LoD server.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DevilGuyDevilGuy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    honestly all the talk of cancellations are just people who are bitter and feel the need to lash out via the internet, I play on Cimmeria server, I see no dimunition of players, things are shaking down, if you've grown tired of MMO's with kid gloves and eve isn't your bag, try AoC, I've had a great time, I'm still having a great time.

DevilGuy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DevilGuy wrote: »
    honestly all the talk of cancellations are just people who are bitter and feel the need to lash out via the internet, I play on Cimmeria server, I see no dimunition of players, things are shaking down, if you've grown tired of MMO's with kid gloves and eve isn't your bag, try AoC, I've had a great time, I'm still having a great time.

Yes we're all just bitter. I stop playing a game out of bitterness.

Wait.. bitter why? Just because?

It can't be that the game needs work. Newp.

Figgy on
  • Options
    BoarBoar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The thing is Devilguy...everyone feels like that, then you hit level 55 and go "Oh...I see what you mean". What doesn't help is that Funcom make absolutely ridiculous decisions with each patch. For example, there was an issue that Female characters were hitting (slightly) slower than male characters. So Funcom did the obvious thing and slowed both sexes down until they were hitting roughly half as quickly as they were before.

My character used to feel like a God of War, ruthlessly disembowelling all who stood before him...now he feels like an OAP who can barely swing a sword. The Funcom devs admitted on the official forums that this was due to some corrupted data and that it would be fixed, since then, they've deleted any mention of corrupted data or fixes and lock any thread that mentions it.

I wanted to like this game, I wanted to love this game, the things that it does right are so very awesome. Sadly, with every weekly patch, every further nerf, every further banned thread from a player trying to remind Funcom that some of us are trying to play the game - I feel like it will not be long before I have left this game behind as well.

Boar on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Given what I've seen of the AoC community (which admittedly doesn't include the official forums for obviously reasons :|) this game appears to be following in Anarchy Online's footsteps... dying a slow and lingering death.

I'm going to try and stick it out til 80 but unless things change drastically I'm out after that. Who thinks this game will be free to play after a couple of years, if it still exists at all?

Such a waste of an amazing combat system, as I've said.

The combat system was also flawed though. First of all it really sucks that combos keep getting longer as you level up, eventually you spend more time inputting directions than doing anything else and the number of skills you can use per fight keeps going down the higher you get. More importantly, it's really broken in PvP - with all the moving around it's extremely hard to land every swing, causing people to build combos by just swinging at the air(and now even that gives you a big damage penalty). There really should be an autostick function just so combat works. And at the high level, stacking your directional shields the right way can completely shut down certain classes that have all their damage combos in one place. It just seems poorly thought out and not designed for PvP at all.

I don't think this game is actually going to die any time soon, but I'd say they blew their chance at being a real contender in the long run.

Zek on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    man I love needing to put in 5 more directions so my guard can do 10 more damage. oh wait I don't because I only use guard I, silly system

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    man I love needing to put in 5 more directions so my guard can do 10 more damage. oh wait I don't because I only use guard I, silly system

What I hated on my Ranger was that if a player got up to me who had any sense, he could easily take me out. As in... I had no chance unless I got lucky and could face him at the EXACT moment my retarded ranged combo went off. Simply running around me in circles pretty much forced me to switch to melee... which is a death wish for a Ranger in the upper levels.

But man... when I killed people before they could even reach me.. that was fucking swell.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dont know my bro and i have a good time when we play online, and that's PvE cause he's a PvP pansy. The changes that Funcom makes, aside from some the obvious, we don't really notice at all and we don't have a problem with stability. I didn't even notice the changes in hit speed, even after I read the patch notes. However we didn't even know that AoC was even in development and just picked it up off the shelf, maybe the lack of exposure from the hype machine kept us from getting too excited.

I have fun, and as far as I know he has fun so that's all that matters to us.

Suicide Slyde on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I dont know my bro and i have a good time when we play online, and that's PvE cause he's a PvP pansy. The changes that Funcom makes, aside from some the obvious, we don't really notice at all and we don't have a problem with stability. I didn't even notice the changes in hit speed, even after I read the patch notes. However we didn't even know that AoC was even in development and just picked it up off the shelf, maybe the lack of exposure from the hype machine kept us from getting too excited.

I have fun, and as far as I know he has fun so that's all that matters to us.

See you in a few weeks.

Sorry.. I'm turning this thread into an Anti-AOC portal. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Figgy on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I cant think of a single thing to do at level 80 other than PvP in Tesso/Kesh.

Is their even any level 80s on PvE servers? I imagine once they hit 80 they quit two seconds later.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The defense bonus gets bigger too.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Zek wrote: »

The defense bonus gets bigger too.

since when? the buff icon for guard has been the same no matter what level you used (scaling to your level). the only thing that changes when you use different ranks is the damage buff

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yea, Funcom seems to have a crazy sense of what actually ''fixes'' problems. On the PvP aspect, they decided that all combo finishers should have their range increased by 10% so that you have a higher chance of hitting people as they run around. So instead of stepping back say, 5 feet, you might have to take that extra step to 6 feet just to get out of range.

And their ''fix'' for higher levels farming low level instances for money was a horrible fix too. Yes, it sure did stop high levels from farming, but it made lower levels have a harder time on instances. Having the epic stuff scale is such a stupid plan, as their are non-instance epic mobs that I'm guessing are going to scale as well that really aren't worth waiting an hour to get a group just to kill.

And I would have to say, that it does seem server populations seem to be somewhat going down, at least on StormRage. I say this because of how hard it's becoming to get a group to do stuff. I spent about 30-45 min the other morning getting a Black Castle group going just to have barely not enough time once we got to the final boss due to server going down.

Also all of the patches make it annoying to keep using UI Mods unless you can find a program to auto-update the xml files or whatever. I think I found one on the AoC curse site. But before that I had to try out new UIs just to not have to use the AoC default since I don't like it.

But yet I'm still playing. Why? Because I'm still having fun.

People complain about having to grind once you get above 60 or so. Well, welcome to MMOs. I remember where in the good ol' days of EQ where questing was having to guess the right words to say to an NPC, and it was pretty much 90% Grinding if you wanted xp. Hell, anymore getting abilities every 5 levels is damn nice as a melee class. We used to have auto attack and taunt, and we were thankful.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    People complain about having to grind once you get above 60 or so. Well, welcome to MMOs. I remember where in the good ol' days of EQ where questing was having to guess the right words to say to an NPC, and it was pretty much 90% Grinding if you wanted xp. Hell, anymore getting abilities every 5 levels is damn nice as a melee class. We used to have auto attack and taunt, and we were thankful.

Stupid logic. Because a game people played over a decade ago was a certain way, we shouldn't complain that a game released today hasn't improved upon a certain mechanic?

Guess what, grinding in EQ was fucking boring and it sucked. Years later, grinding in AOC is fucking boring and it sucks. Fantastic correlation.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    look hundreds of years ago it was ok to rape children so it should still be like that today. worked then it should work now

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    back when ultima online came out there weren't even quests

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Back in The Realm, we raped the pixels.

Oh and what is a quest? I am pretty sure that game had none.

Games evolve. I liked AOC for the first month and think they did some things right. Unfortunately, they did more things wrong than right. :(

Shens on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shens wrote: »

Games evolve. I liked AOC for the first month and think they did some things right. Unfortunately, they did more things wrong than right. :(

Oh man! The Realm!

Great game.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    in neverwinter nights we didnt even have equipment

however, in gemstone 3 we had equipment, i just didnt know the command of how to equip it. i learned it one time but subsequently forgot, so i was always naked except for the pink overalls i managed to put on.

i was fabulous

Unknown User on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    KurnDerak wrote: »

Stupid logic. Because a game people played over a decade ago was a certain way, we shouldn't complain that a game released today hasn't improved upon a certain mechanic?

Guess what, grinding in EQ was fucking boring and it sucked. Years later, grinding in AOC is fucking boring and it sucks. Fantastic correlation.

Grinding in EQ was boring if you didn't like grinding. Same way with AoC. I don't know how well they let on what the upper game would be like in AoC (60+ or so) but I think if you've played MMOs for any time grinding is something that is almost always there. Some games more than others, that is just the way it is.

I'm not at all saying that games shouldn't be filled to the brim with quests, because it sure seems to have worked as a strategy. I'm saying that when games such as AoC end up with a quest heavy lower level game, and a quest lite higher end game, then I'm sure most people don't like it. At least to me it brings that sense of "oh, I don't have any quests, xp is gonna be coming in so slow now," or "Oh, I have to go all the way over there for a single quest that isn't going to give me much." Questing and grinding seem to be two different mind sets I guess you could say. If you've been in a questing mind set for 60 levels, you don't wanna go to grinding. But if you've had to do some grinding on the way it doesn't feel as bad.

I personally don't mind grinding most times, I played EQ for about 4 1/2 years. Though going from easily getting a level in one or two long outings of questing to the rinse repeat grind isn't as fun because there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the feeling of reward. I think the repeatable quests to kill X creatures that you can find on the bulliten boards or whatever in game was a good idea, just not implemented well. You can easily get the same xp from them as you would in about 5 kills.

I will agree on one thing though. Solo grinding get's really damn boring, no matter the game. Which is definitely a problem with AoC because their group tool is nearly useless, and it seems to be getting harder to find groups.

And I have learned my lesson. Next time I will make sure to add in something about walking up hills both way in 3 feet of snow with no shoes just to get a +10% attack speed item.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Oh man! The Realm!

Great game.

Crazy to think it has been about 11 years since I last played it. I can hardly remember anything about it at this point aside from Rats stealing insane gear off of the ground, which allowed newbies to say, "Why did this rat drop the best gear in the game?" And the art rocked of old Sierra Quest games.

Shens on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    in neverwinter nights we didnt even have equipment

however, in gemstone 3 we had equipment, i just didnt know the command of how to equip it. i learned it one time but subsequently forgot, so i was always naked except for the pink overalls i managed to put on.

i was fabulous

Like the NWN game on the Pools of Radiance engine? Was that any good? I didn't even have internet back then.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    the old one on AOL

it was the 2nd best mmo i've ever played

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Oh man! The Realm!

Great game.

Crazy to think it has been about 11 years since I last played it. I can hardly remember anything about it at this point aside from Rats stealing insane gear off of the ground, which allowed newbies to say, "Why did this rat drop the best gear in the game?" And the art rocked of old Sierra Quest games.

The only things I remember of that game:

- Side scrolling type... room by room
    - Cartoon-combat clouds
    - Everyone wore different coloured sashes
    - Player housing, with frequent parties at peoples' houses

Figgy on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    DevilGuy wrote: »

- People cancel subscriptions to video games for different reasons: personal dislikes regarding a specific aspect of the game, technical difficulties experienced, missing features (perceived and/or actual), disagreement with the direction of development, etc. When you have an open forum designed for discussion of the game it's inevitable that the topic of account cancellation will arise. The greater the frequency of cancellations, the more discussion regarding it.

- I assume that your comment regarding "kid gloves" was an allusion that Age of Conan is somehow more difficult or challenging than other unmentioned MMORPGs. That's the thing about opinions. What you perceive to be difficult may merely be banal or overly repetitious to others - time sinks that aren't entertaining.

- Why are you lashing out towards people that are discussing their reasons for canceling a subscription to a video game? I'm happy that you're enjoying yourself while playing Age of Conan. Why must you generalize and take a defensive stance against people that don't share your opinion?

Teth on
  • Options
    The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just bought the game today but i can't play until friday because my internet is capped :|.

The Rocking M on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Oh man! The Realm!

Great game.

The only things I remember of that game:

- Side scrolling type... room by room
    - Cartoon-combat clouds
    - Everyone wore different coloured sashes
    - Player housing, with frequent parties at peoples' houses

I still play the game once in a while.

The main developer guy bought the game from Sierra and turned it into his own private playground, getting rid of everything he doesn't like, such as glowies, and banning people that disagreed with him.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Almost all moderators on game forums are just community volunteers, but yeah, that guy's excuse was pretty bullshit. "No game feedback allowed, just let people experience it themselves!" Huh?

Zek on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hmm, i really want to give this game a chance again

my fav. MMO (aside from UO) was Shadowbane, and if anybody has played that, they know how broken it was, so... i'm not opposed to brokenness.

can anybody who's played the game at endgame tell me if it's worth it to level up to 80? all i'm basically about is pvping. that's all i want to do.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hmm, i really want to give this game a chance again

my fav. MMO (aside from UO) was Shadowbane, and if anybody has played that, they know how broken it was, so... i'm not opposed to brokenness.

can anybody who's played the game at endgame tell me if it's worth it to level up to 80? all i'm basically about is pvping. that's all i want to do.

Best way to enjoy this game is to never hit level 80.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Wow, if I didn't already cancel my account 2 months ago, that would be more than enough reason to do it now.
    I like the attitude: "Let them pay for the game first and realise it's buggy once they gave us money, don't warn them before we get our cash. Bling bling."

Djiem on
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can't you like, um, build keeps and fight over them when you hit 80? Isn't that the endgame?

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the keeps were not available in the game when I played so I don't know

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.