As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UK Bargains Thread III: For Fuck's Sake Lewie Use The Right Thread

• Options
    Red AlbatrossRed Albatross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My local Sainsbury's (Islington) seems to be having a clearout. Most of it was the usual shovelware, but I got Dewy's Adventure for £5, and No More Heroes or £12.

Red Albatross on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Be careful with overseas recorded delivery. In my experience, it is utterly worthless. They basically only track it until it leaves the country, which takes all of a day, and will then request the receiving nation's post office to get a signature on delivery, which is available to you on request. Except it's not, the receiving nation usually just treats it like any other piece of air mail.

There are different services available of course, but unless the actual company you are paying are the ones making the delivery, you are very unlikely to actually get a signature.

So basically it's better to just save the money?

I've got a few high-ish priced games up (750-800 per) and am somewhat expecting to have them stolen. I don't really trust random strangers, I guess.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh yes. 900 points. Someone just requested Dead Rising. Now to pick up deadly creatures D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grislo wrote: »
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Be careful with overseas recorded delivery. In my experience, it is utterly worthless. They basically only track it until it leaves the country, which takes all of a day, and will then request the receiving nation's post office to get a signature on delivery, which is available to you on request. Except it's not, the receiving nation usually just treats it like any other piece of air mail.

There are different services available of course, but unless the actual company you are paying are the ones making the delivery, you are very unlikely to actually get a signature.

So basically it's better to just save the money?

I've got a few high-ish priced games up (750-800 per) and am somewhat expecting to have them stolen. I don't really trust random strangers, I guess.

If they are of very high value then courier service such as DHL or UPS would be best then you can guarantee the delivery. And for high value products its worth the price.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, PC - £23.49 delivered
    Wii Music, Wii - £19.99 delivered
    Chrono Trigger, DS - £17.99 delivered
    Alone in the Dark, Xbox 360 - £6.99 delivered
    Eternal Sonata, Xbox 360 - £5.99 delivered
    Pikmin (New Play Control), Wii - £19.99 delivered
    Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, PSP - £7.20 delivered

LewieP on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am really interested in getting Size Matters but I can't really justify it because GAMES

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I always buy these games intending to play them straight away, right up until the moment I play Pro Evo for the entire weekend.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    DavboDavbo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What's the best price for Street Fighter IV on the 360? Also has anyone seen a deal regarding the fightsticks? I went in my local Gamestation and Game and both don't even know if they're getting fightsticks

Davbo on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Davbo wrote: »
    What's the best price for Street Fighter IV on the 360? Also has anyone seen a deal regarding the fightsticks? I went in my local Gamestation and Game and both don't even know if they're getting fightsticks

If you're after the proper fight sticks, you're probably already way too late. Prepare to pay 3 times the rrp on eBay. The regular sticks will be everywhere though.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not usually a controller snob at all, and I'm not BIG in to fighting games but I gave SF4 a shot at a friends the other day on the 360 controller and it was horrendous. Circle/Dragon punches I had NO problem with but it was difficult to do the two circles in a row movement and I struggled to do any charge moves. If you're getting SF4 then you HAVE to factor a different controller in to the price too.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've hardly dented my post-christmas game stack and these new year offers keep dangling in front of me so temptingly!

What with organising a house buying, a wedding, and the fact that I'm on TV this Monday (16th), BBC 1, 11am, To Buy or Not To Buy, on the iPlayer for a week for your convenience, it's a miracle I get any time to play games at all these days!
    Subtle enough?
    It was Not to Buy.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Audiosurf, PC - £3.73 delivered
    Dead Space, Xbox 360 - £17.99 delivered
    Dead Space, PS3 - £17.99 delivered
    Dead Space, PC - £12.99 delivered

LewieP on
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've put up "Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time" for the DS (300 points).

I'm trying to save up for Professor Layton.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Dead Space, Xbox 360 - £17.99 delivered

Fucking sweet, cheers for that.

Rotam on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I refuse to believe that there is nobody on Goozex who wants the newest Tomb Raider, Far Cry 2 and Force Unleashed on the 360.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd imagine the problem isn't lack of demand so much as lack of disposable points at the moment. People are loath to spend real money on the system so everyone is trying to trade out before they can start trading in, and nobody has the points to spend. As such much of the movement is going to be in the 100-ish point games for a while I'd guess.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, €35/40 is not a good price for those games, considering they can be had new for less than that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I guess.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lewie, can you fix it for me to get Pacific Rift pretty cheap somewhere? PS3.

In return I offer a picture of a cute puppy. Payment on delivery of course.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, €35/40 is not a good price for those games, considering they can be had new for less than that.

Yeah i think this is probably the deciding factor

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Lewie, can you fix it for me to get Pacific Rift pretty cheap somewhere? PS3.

In return I offer a picture of a cute puppy. Payment on delivery of course.

Shame the misprice of £6 was over in like 2 minutes (I did manage to bag a copy though...)

£24.99 is the best price atm.

LewieP on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A friend of mine got Pacific Rift for £20 from Blockbuster's preowned sale thing.

Also dammit Lewie, text me when shit like that happens. I would have been all over that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I literally ordered it, then posted to SavyGamer, and then a second later it was gone.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    anything on umbrella chronicles? I'm half tempted to pick it up from goozex but I know it's not worth the £25-ish they're asking on there. Same with Corruption.

edit: Hey, I'm the top Buyer. Nice. Not quite the best seller but I've got nothing of worth to sell anymore.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pacific Rift is £20 in Sainsburys at the mo. I saw an advert for it in today's metro.

And when you've bought it you should let me race you :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cheapest place to get HOTD :O?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That Audiosurf you posted earlier is showing as £4.73 at the moment. My girlfriend really wants it but can't get Steam running on her PC at the moment.. anyone know if that version would still require a working copy of Steam?

edit: I also saw No More Heroes in Sainsburys last night for.. £12 I think. Was so tempted to get it for when we eventually have a Wii in the house, and I know it'll be impossible to find by that point.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not entirely sure but I would think it'd work without steam. I mean you can buy off steam so it would make sense for it to work without it.

Any good God of War 2 deals going? Goozex seems to be failing me on the points front.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The retail boxed copies of Audiosurf I've seen all say "To use this software you must accept the enclosed Steam User Agreement", or words to that effect.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So the Orange Box for the 360 on Goozex went up from 100 to 150 points tonight. Out of curiosity, I went in and had a look, and it has 56 people requesting it.

If anyone has this game, I would hold on to it for a while, 'cause that thing is going to rise week on week. (I'm 26th in line. Woo.)

Legba on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    or you could trade it straight away because I am first in line.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Or that.

Actually, you know what's weird? Zak and Wiki went up, and has 18 people requesting it. But Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga for the Xbox has 45 people requesting it and didn't.

I guess it's because part of their formula is based on how old the game is. Which explains how Burnout Paradise can be 100 points. But it's still kind of weird.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm up to 5 simultaneous requests and offers. Its just a shame there's nothing I really want.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I'm up to 5 simultaneous requests and offers. Its just a shame there's nothing I really want.

Except GTA double pack :D

I tried that Manhunt 2 I got from Lewie's deal the other day. Wow. Holy shit even with the censored bits its fucking gory. I mean I've played some violent games but that takes the cake.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My local Sainsbury's (Islington) seems to be having a clearout. Most of it was the usual shovelware, but I got Dewy's Adventure for £5, and No More Heroes or £12.

I am in this sainsbury's right now. Didn't even know they had a games section but will investigate.

Hedwirez on
  • Options
    AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Urgh
    I want to register for this but I'm only 17. If I register with my folks' name, I'd lose my points when I finally want my own account. :|

Amaranth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Amaranth wrote: »
    Urgh
    I want to register for this but I'm only 17. If I register with my folks' name, I'd lose my points when I finally want my own account. :|

can you not just lie about your age?

LewieP on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't even remember it asking for my age, is this hidden in the T & C somewhere? (not that I'm anywhere near it being an issue anymore).
    Remember to use a referral link :lol:

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Amaranth wrote: »
    Urgh

can you not just lie about your age?

I was considering asking that but I didn't want it to bite me in the ass. :p

Amaranth on