As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TOURNAMENT CENTRAL: RULES AND MORE!

• Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    God dammit Hulk cannot punch phased things.
    Man, are you insinuating that there are things the Hulk CANNOT punch?
    No, I'm not. I'm flat out saying. He cannot punch phased things, he cannot punch things that can fly out of his reach (all three competitors in this round fit here), he can't punch things that he doesn't know are there (well I guess he could but it would be a bit hard and more just random flailing than punching). There are quite a few things he cannot punch. Sure he may be strong and resilient, but those abilities only go so far.
    Listen to me.

Listen good.

There is nothing - no thing - that the Hulk is incapable of punching. I know that it sounds like some of these guys may be immune to the Hulk's punching, but the simple fact is that the Green Scar just hasn't devised a way to hit them yet. Given time and effort, Hulk will figure it out. If he has to turn into Banner just to make Banner build a ray that will put his fist out of sync with our dimension just to punch Martian Manhunter, and possibly also ghosts, he will do it. Hulk's power is that Hulk smash. Not being able to do so renders Hulk effectively impotent, and Hulk has too much pride to appear impotent in front of Namor.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No, I'm not. I'm flat out saying. He cannot punch phased things, he cannot punch things that can fly out of his reach (all three competitors in this round fit here), he can't punch things that he doesn't know are there (well I guess he could but it would be a bit hard and more just random flailing than punching). There are quite a few things he cannot punch. Sure he may be strong and resilient, but those abilities only go so far.
    Okay, besides "not" being able to punch "intangible" things, what else per se, can't the Hulk punch?

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ZeroCow wrote:
    Okay, besides "not" being able to punch "intangible" things, what else per se, can't the Hulk punch?

Concepts.

Things and people he can't reach.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'd also like to point out that those flying assholes are vulnerable to a 'proxy punch' from the Hulk. This involves him picking up a tank, building, or mountain, and using it as an extension of his fist over distances.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tanks cannot hit intangible things either.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Tanks can hit Thor or Namor, and I believe someone was arguing that they, too, are immune to the Hulk because he can't punch them.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    If he stays intangible he can't win, because he can't enter the Hulks gamma radiated mind....it's true, I saw it once..... 8)

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ZeroCow wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:
    If he stays intangible he can't win, because he can't enter the Hulks gamma radiated mind....it's true, I saw it once..... 8)

Yes he can. Hulk is resistant to telepathy, not immune.

J'onn managed to shut down the Joker's insanity, so I'm fairly certain he'd be able to pacify Hulk telepathically.

Or J'onn could do that "unphase my arm in your brain" thing that he does so well.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    ZeroCow wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

Yes he can. Hulk is resistant to telepathy, not immune.

J'onn managed to shut down the Joker's insanity, so I'm fairly certain he'd be able to pacify Hulk telepathically.

Or J'onn could do that "unphase my arm in your brain" thing that he does so well.
    and then hulk would punch his arm clean off. like el cid, he would fight on after death.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, Jonn doing the intangible arm solidifying inside would probably look something like this.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/BlazingNeurons/Scans%20Daily/YAR5.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/BlazingNeurons/Scans%20Daily/YAR6.jpg

Hulk's got to have an invulnerable brain.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    And if you could beat Hulk with telepathy, then they'd just have Xavier do it everytime.

I'm sorry, but making the Joker sane for a few short moments isn't an astonishing feat on par with taking down the Hulk. I don't think Jonn could do it.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Yeah, Jonn doing the intangible arm solidifying inside would probably look something like this.

That's quite different from doing it to someone's brain.

And it's also not how phasing works. Invulnerability has nothing to do with it. When someone solidifies their arm inside of you, the molecules of the arm and the part of you it is in will intermingle, fucking you up pretty god damned horribly, unless you have complete control over your body's density and make-up like J'onn.

J'onn can also grow to giant size, did you know that? Effectively increasing his strength several times. Easily enough to put Hulk down quickly.

Oh, and he can become super-dense.

And Phasing his arm into Hulk's head and solidifying it would be quite effective indeed. And note that J'onn is far too durable for Hulk to just rip his arm off like that.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I keep reading your words, but they all sound like, "I'm a commie and I hate the Hulk."

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    And if you could beat Hulk with telepathy, then they'd just have Xavier do it everytime.

I'm sorry, but making the Joker sane for a few short moments isn't an astonishing feat on par with taking down the Hulk. I don't think Jonn could do it.

You would be surprised at how difficult it is to keep the Joker sane. His mind is like a raging storm, and his madness is easily on par with Hulk's rage.

And J'onn is a better telepath than Xavier.

J'onn comes from a race of telepaths, and he has spent the better part of his life with them. He is an incredibly accomplished mental combatant, and Hulk, who posesses nothing but an incredible will, is not going to be able to resist J'onn's most intense probing, because THE HULK HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AFFECTED BY TELEPATHY.

Lesser telepaths than J'onn have tried and succeeded.

And we're not talking mind control. We're talking calming Hulk down.

And they don't have Xavier do it every time because he's dead or missing half of the time and it wouldn't be a fun comic with Xavier fixing everything all the time. Also, Xavier is a god damned pussy compared to J'onn.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

And it's also not how phasing works. Invulnerability has nothing to do with it. When someone solidifies their arm inside of you, the molecules of the arm and the part of you it is in will intermingle, fucking you up pretty god damned horribly, unless you have complete control over your body's density and make-up like J'onn.

J'onn can also grow to giant size, did you know that? Effectively increasing his strength several times. Easily enough to put Hulk down quickly.

And Phasing his arm into Hulk's head and solidifying it would be quite effective indeed. And note that J'onn is far too durable for Hulk to just rip his arm off like that.

How can you say Jonn is too durable for the Hulk to rip his arm off when there have been limits placed on Jonn's durability but no limits placed on the Hulk's strength?

And how does having control over your density and makeup allow you to avoid the negative effects of mixing your molecules with someone else's? All complete body control would allow you to do is unmix your molecules, right?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    and...right in the middle of the fight, you expect calm hulk to what? take a nap? suck his thumb? It's not like we've seen this Hulk turn back into Banner when he's not tearing shit up.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, calming this Hulk down wouldn't end the fight. It would just make him stop hitting people until Jonn breaks his concentration.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Notice how he was not trying to hurt the person though? Jonn won't give a fuck.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

How can you say Jonn is too durable for the Hulk to rip his arm off when there have been limits placed on Jonn's durability but no limits placed on the Hulk's strength?

And how does having control over your density and makeup allow you to avoid the negative effects of mixing your molecules with someone else's? All complete body control would allow you to do is unmix your molecules, right?

Control over your molecular structure would allow you to pretty much ignore the effects of having your molecules mix with someone else's, because you could just take it out.

J'onn has done these things before. He can do them. There is no rgument here. To deny this would be dumb.

And Hulk cannot rip J'onn's arm off when he has an ARM IN HIS BRAIN FUCKING HIM UP.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

But Hulk looks just like Jonn's hyper-masculine aunt.

Did I mention that Hulk's special equipment is a polka-dot dress?

Jonn wouldn't want to hurt him either.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

But Hulk looks just like Jonn's hyper-masculine aunt.

Did I mention that Hulk's special equipment is a polka-dot dress?

Jonn wouldn't want to hurt him either.
    Ok, now you're just being purposefully stupid.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Yeah, calming this Hulk down wouldn't end the fight. It would just make him stop hitting people until Jonn breaks his concentration.

Or until J'onn puts him to sleep or punches the shit out of him when Hulk is zonked out.

You are reaaaaally stretching, here.

And J'onn could definitely read Hulk's mind at least. He could pacify it with some difficulty, but reading it is all hells of easy.

And then he could

you know

do the same thing he did to Ultraman

i.e. read Hulk's thoughts and instantly adapt his form to counter whatever strategy Hulk has.

Shit, J'onn could enter through Hulk's pores and then expand, putting him down for the count. Hulk wouldn't die, but he'd be fucked up and weakened.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Or until J'onn puts him to sleep or punches the shit out of him when Hulk is zonked out.

And J'onn could definitely read Hulk's mind at least. He could pacify it with some difficulty, but reading it is all hells of easy.

And then he could

you know

i.e. read Hulk's thoughts and instantly adapt his form to counter whatever strategy Hulk has.

Shit, J'onn could enter through Hulk's pores and then expand, putting him down for the count. Hulk wouldn't die, but he'd be fucked up and weakened.

YOU NO READ HULK STRATEGY HULK STRATEGY IS HULK SMASH YOU NO READ THAT YOU NO COUNTER HULK

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

And then he could

you know

YOU NO READ HULK STRATEGY HULK STRATEGY IS HULK SMASH YOU NO READ THAT YOU NO COUNTER HULK

Oh, right, because Hulk, apparently, like Magneto, is made of magic and can do anything except lose in a completely reasonable and very probably scenario.

Sorry! What was I thinking?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I remember seeing a scan of Jonn making Joker sane, and I'm pretty sure he had his hands too full with that to do much else. Surely, in that state, he couldn't muster enough strength to beat the Hulk.

If the Hulk goes to sleep, he'll just wake up as soon as anyone touches him (assuming the Hulk can sleep, because I thought his permanently excited state would make that impossible).

Hulk doesn't have strategies.

Hulk's pores probably don't stretch due to invulnerability, even for oil and bacteria. That's why he's got such a lovely complexion.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

And then he could

you know

Oh, right, because Hulk, apparently, like Magneto, is made of magic and can do anything except lose in a completely reasonable and very probably scenario.

Sorry! What was I thinking?

IT IS OK HULK FORGIVE YOU

God dammit I think Hulk is actually going to beat MM and that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN GUYS.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    tombomb666tombomb666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    He at least thinks about what to smash if only a fraction of a second beforehand.

tombomb666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I remember seeing a scan of Jonn making Joker sane, and I'm pretty sure he had his hands too full with that to do much else. Surely, in that state, he couldn't muster enough strength to beat the Hulk.

If the Hulk goes to sleep, he'll just wake up as soon as anyone touches him (assuming the Hulk can sleep, because I thought his permanently excited state would make that impossible).

Hulk's pores probably don't stretch due to invulnerability, even for oil and bacteria. That's why he's got such a lovely complexion.

But Hulk still has pores, and J'onn is just as tough if not tougher than him.

And, again, Joker's mind is incomprehensibly chaotic and easily a match for Hulk's rage. Easily.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

And, again, Joker's mind is incomprehensibly chaotic and easily a match for Hulk's rage. Easily.

Whoa whoa whoa, I can go along with J'onn being able to beat the Hulk, he's versitile enough that it would work, but you're being ridiculous if you say J'onn is tougher then the Hulk. J'onn beating Hulk involves strategy and guile, not brute force.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Hulk, usually, isn't that tough. It's when he gets angry that he really shines.

But J'onn can do the same thing to Superman. The pores thing. He should be able to do it to Hulk, who has been known to have his skin pierced. The Spikes in a recent issue, for instance, or whatever those organic assimilation things were called.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    kdrudy wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa, I can go along with J'onn being able to beat the Hulk, he's versitile enough that it would work, but you're being ridiculous if you say J'onn is tougher then the Hulk. J'onn beating Hulk involves strategy and guile, not brute force.

Yeah, I have to agree with you here. Spec is going a bit over board with Jonn's strength. J'onn wins with his versatility and ability to stay away from direct conflict with Hulk.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You guys are seriously underestimating J'onn's offensive capabilities. If J'onn can do the pore thing to Superman, or Ultraman (J'onn has actually done something similar before) he can do it to Hulk, who has been known to have foreign things invade his body in one of the most recent issues.

And J'onn doesn't HAVE to stretch Hulk's pores. He turns into liquid, then forces his way in through the pores by sending in small enough bits of himself.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    You guys are seriously underestimating J'onn's offensive capabilities. If J'onn can do the pore thing to Superman, or Ultraman (J'onn has actually done something similar before) he can do it to Hulk, who has been known to have foreign things invade his body in one of the most recent issues.

And J'onn doesn't HAVE to stretch Hulk's pores. He turns into liquid, then forces his way in through the pores by sending in small enough bits of himself.

I was speaking more about when you said J'onn was tougher than Hulk. I don't think if they just stood there exchanging punches that J'onn would have much of a chance.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I was talking about durability in general. Hulk gets hurt by pretty insignificant shit (relatively speaking) sometimes. Of course this would increase as he gets angrier, but it shouldn;t really impact J'onn's ability to do shit because J'onn is really, really fucking powerful.

He is pretty much on top of Superman's list of people he's afraid to fight.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hulk fucking strongest there is.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    THAT DOES NOT MATTER OKAY HELLO YES

Because no matter how strong Hulk gets, J'onn is still more powerful in general.

Seriously, one solid hit and he'll send Hulk flying out of the arena because Hulk can't fly.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    THAT DOES NOT MATTER OKAY HELLO YES

Because no matter how strong Hulk gets, J'onn is still more powerful in general.

Seriously, one solid hit and he'll send Hulk flying out of the arena because Hulk can't fly.

J'onn is no where near as strong as Hulk. Hulk is also very very fast, so he'll be able to grab j'onn before he can knock him out of the arena.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hulk cannot move at a speed close to that of the speed of light.

And J'onn is easily as strong as the Hulk at the start of the fight. It takes some time for Hulk to get up to really huge levels of power. And even then it generally does not exceed Superman-level strength, which J'onn has. Hulk has to be especially pissed off for that.

And then there's J'onn's telepathy messing with Hulk's anger.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So just wanted to check up on Match C results.
    Thor 83
    Hulk 55
    MM 48
    Namor -3

Looks like MM is out unless there are some late votes for him in first. :|

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey, if Hulk is fucking strongest there is, maybe we should just stop the fucking tournament right now.

Didn't the Illuminati trick Hulk into a tiny spaceship and blow him off into space? Oh, that's right, they did. Can't THOR beat Hulk in terms of brute strength? Oh, yes, he can. But obviously silly J'onn will just prance around in tights and lose.

Make no mistake, I love the Hulk. He's great. He's the HULK! But the bias for him is clearly showing here. Yes, he's strong and totally kickass awesome. but so is Martian Manhunter. Calling his powers retarded is... well, retarded. What's Hulk's power? Oh, he gets big and mad and green and invulnerable and smashes shit. Whoo.

Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
This discussion has been closed.