Options

Meta all up inz: Posting styles

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I sometimes write out a long post and then give up.

But usually my method is to maek poast with a stream of consciousness and then go back and edit my post after it's live like 7 times as I reread it.

Yar on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For some reason I can't seem to grasp the concept of proofreading something before I hit the "Reply" button. As a result I would stay that at least three fourths of my posts have been edited for clarity or grammatical errors.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Poor spelling and grammer.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    side-questing toward tastiness in brevity.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll sometimes discard posts, not because I dislike the style but I realize that it would be bringing nothing relevant to the discussion. As far as the actual style, I just apply what I learned in school.

Also if anyone sees a spelling or grammatical error in any of my posts, don't hesitate to point it out. I like knowing about any mistakes, unlike some people who get bitchy and defensive when you suggest that they might be able to make themselves better understood.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Also if anyone sees a spelling or grammatical error in any of my posts, don't hesitate to point it out. I like knowing about any mistakes, unlike some people who get bitchy and defensive when you suggest that they might be able to make themselves better understood.
    Hey man, we're not in school, ok?
    I kid. I actually feel the same way you do about it.

Bama on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was going to make a post here but then I didn't like it and deleted it.
    I post on here pretty much the same way I behave in real life. I'd say I have a fairly honest style. I'm also prone to gritting my teeth and assuming the impact position whenever I attempt a more serious, actual debatey post. I guess I'm a bit more of a cutup here than in real life as well. I blame the rest of you maniacs.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yar wrote: »

But usually my method is to maek poast with a stream of consciousness and then go back and edit my post after it's live like 7 times as I reread it.
    I tend to get about a paragraph in and then realize whatever I'm responding to is futile. The flipside of this is I make like a 1 paragraph post, then edit in about 2 more of far more substantive content.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    I post pretty much how I talk, but with better grammar and increased use of the word "fuck".

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    short 'n snarky

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I post pretty much how I talk, but with better grammar and increased use of the word "fuck".
    See I think I post pretty much how I talk, but I'm not sure how accurate that really is as a self-analyzing statement.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    See I think I post pretty much how I talk, but I'm not sure how accurate that really is as a self-analyzing statement.

We post how we wished we talked?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't see why you can't just go around asking your friends how much you say fuck

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I think this is entirely possible. Than again, I know I use a lot of similar basic sentences between speaking and posting so who knows.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    S_SS_S Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Same as in real life I pack everything I need to say in two or three sentences because if you can't bother to make your words a tolerable length then why should anyone bother to listen to you? And thus the few posts I make or the few words I speak are always concentrated awesome. I also seek instant gratification whenever I talk or post and when I don't get it I become bored and stop talking or leave and do something else.

S_S on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    S_S wrote: »
    Same as in real life I pack everything I need to say in two or three sentences because if you can't bother to make your words a tolerable length then why should anyone bother to listen to you? And thus the few posts I make or the few words I speak are always concentrated awesome. I also seek instant gratification whenever I talk or post and when I don't get it I become bored and stop talking or leave and do something else.
    tl;dr

Bama on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure I use "fuck" less on the the forums.

I started posting without periods at times. No idea why. Odd, since when I speak, my sentences tend to trail [tiny]off[/tiny]

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I post how I wish ElJeffe talked.

Yar on
  • Options
    S_SS_S Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    S_S wrote: »
    tl;dr

I was actually going to say "in before tl;dr" but the fourth sentence would have invalidated my post

S_S on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I use "fuck" less on the the forums.

I started posting without periods at times. No idea why. Odd, since when I speak, my sentences tend to trail [tiny]off[/tiny]

My real-life diction is also peppered by a fuckton of "like"s. Like, every third word. Because I am from California.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Same here, which is why don't post very much.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I speak in Klingon and must use Babelfish to translate all my posts into English.
    OH SNAP!!

Yar on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One thing... I don't like when people post with lots of ellipses... it's really annoying... it's even more annoying when they don't use three periods.......

Also: I use also quite a bit.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

This is what I do as well.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I am suitably burned.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    I don't think this really counts as a posting style, but I delete about 2/3 of the posts I write, not as in post them then edit, I'll write it out and go "nah, no point" and hit the back button. So I guess if I had to pick a style it would be indecisive, with poor sentence structure as a secondary

edit: this probly should have been one of those posts :P

Same here. I'll write a post out, decide I don't like how it's structured, and rather than rewrite it, just won't bother posting it at all.

Wow I'm suprised at how many other people do this. Imagine the post whores we all could be if we didn't actually read our posts before submitting them

You, uh, ever been to Gamefaqs forums? My estimates conclude that about 95% of all messageboards are that way. It's not something to contemplate! Monday night I tried to get Cabal Online working on my computer, and I went to the support forums and oh god.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I barely post at all, but then I am quite quiet in real life. As far as I can recall, I've deleted 3 posts (as in posted and then subsequently deleted), but I've typed out a post and then refrained from posting on countless occasions. This was almost one of them. I try to be as polite and precise as possible, because there is a great deal of scope for misinterpretation over the internet.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think this really counts as a posting style, but I delete about 2/3 of the posts I write, not as in post them then edit, I'll write it out and go "nah, no point" and hit the back button.
    This, but because I prefer to post when I actually have something to say. I'll get half way through the post and realize I'm not making any new or relevant points, then give up.

Taking into account my belief that the internet is an extension of our intellect and represents our first great stride towards collective consciousness, I'm not sure how this reflects on me. It almost seems dishonest to share only the thoughts I deem interesting or intelligent enough.

At the same time, it makes me feel better about myself. And it might be the biggest thing separating forums like this from gamefaqs or the chans. So maybe it' not so bad.

(PS., I considered aborting this post no less than five times)

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I don't think this really counts as a posting style, but I delete about 2/3 of the posts I write, not as in post them then edit, I'll write it out and go "nah, no point" and hit the back button.
    This, but because I prefer to post when I actually have something to say. I'll get half way through the post and realize I'm not making any new or relevant points, then give up.

Taking into account my belief that the internet is an extension of our intellect and represents our first great stride towards collective consciousness, I'm not sure how this reflects on me. It almost seems dishonest to share only the thoughts I deem interesting or intelligent enough.

At the same time, it makes me feel better about myself. And it might be the biggest thing separating forums like this from gamefaqs or the chans. So maybe it' not so bad.

I delete (as in, either back out OR really delete) almost all my posts unless I'm too grumpy or riled up to check myself. It's been a long time since I found a thread where my viewpoint wasn't covered by someone more eloquent and/or more energetic than I.

Most of my non-angry posts are in 'discourse' threads like 100 push-ups or The Reading Room. In them, I pay no attention to beautiful composition and always end up tapping into my speaking vocabulary, which is so much smaller than my reading-and-writing vocabulary that I tend to lean heavily on hyphenated and single-quoted made-up compound words. I don't usually realize that I do this.

edit: Real deletions are rare, and only happen when I look back a few minutes later and realize that I have definitely lowered the level of discourse and feel bad about it.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, you guys confuse me.

I don't post often, but I rarely if ever go "Aw shucks, I'm not gonna contribute much anyway," and then think better of it.

I say what I feel because y'all bitches better be ready to hear me.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I keep canceling posts that I'm about to post in this thread.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Collective consciousness sort of scares me. It would be a whole lot of insecurity, perversion, and rage all mixed together.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »

Collective consciousness sort of scares me. It would be a whole lot of insecurity, perversion, and rage all mixed together.

Thats an apt description of pretty much any online community.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

Bashing your head repeatedly into the keyboard would probably have the same effect, and save considerable time and effort.

I just vent, mostly. I'm actually very quiet IRL.

Well heck I'm open to new things. Lets test your theory,

Old Method.

You realize that this little experiment of yours will set the understanding of the human mind back about 120 years and lead to the uprising of something worse than Dr. Phil. Oh well, unimaginable horror for great science.

New Method.

c v vcvvbnb v

Hmm aside from lots of crap falling out of my keyboard, not all that effective. Hold on lets try rolling my head.

New Hybrid Method.

c vbnm,./';.jmnvbcxzzxc m,

Well the hybrid method, while gaining punctuation, appears to be only slightly less useless. Oh well, I am afraid I am going to have to reject your theory. Honestly though i can not really imagine you sitting quietly anywhere. I guess its like one of those shock jokes. Quiet girl sitting at home, still sitting, more sitting, OMGWTF screaming and flailing like a mad woman.

Detharin on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my posting style is influenced by the cesshole called gaiaonline. Although I've dumped some of the silly smileys they use over there like o 3 o and @w@. I learned to spell a lot better thanks to the dictionary thing on firefox and people yelling at me on these forums (I didn't know the difference between lose and loose and live and life, for example)

I also give a lot of attention to paragraphs due to the ammount of papers I write for school, it's important to keep your posts readable, I say.

Aldo on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

Hell yes. I talk like someone who's been living in a cave in the woods for twenty years.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Detharin wrote: »

Bashing your head repeatedly into the keyboard would probably have the same effect, and save considerable time and effort.

I just vent, mostly. I'm actually very quiet IRL.

Well heck I'm open to new things. Lets test your theory,

Old Method.

You realize that this little experiment of yours will set the understanding of the human mind back about 120 years and lead to the uprising of something worse than Dr. Phil. Oh well, unimaginable horror for great science.

New Method.

c v vcvvbnb v

Hmm aside from lots of crap falling out of my keyboard, not all that effective. Hold on lets try rolling my head.

New Hybrid Method.

c vbnm,./';.jmnvbcxzzxc m,

Well the hybrid method, while gaining punctuation, appears to be only slightly less useless. Oh well, I am afraid I am going to have to reject your theory. Honestly though i can not really imagine you sitting quietly anywhere. I guess its like one of those shock jokes. Quiet girl sitting at home, still sitting, more sitting, OMGWTF screaming and flailing like a mad woman.

Maybe you're not hitting your head hard enough against the keys?

Show the machine who's boss

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I post pretty much exactly how I talk in real life: butt naked.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Maybe you're not hitting your head hard enough against the keys?

Show the machine who's boss

The machine knows who its master is, ain't that right baby. Don't worry soon my evil plan will come to fruition and there will be ranting, revealing of master plans, and 11th hour commando raids. Won't that be fun.

Hey wait who told you about the machine?

Detharin on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    I used to post fairly big posts in another forum, but here I just know that somebody will actually bother to do a point-by-point rebuttal.

Be grateful that we aren't one of those forums where people will do an inline point by point rebuttal, that kind of thing is horrific.

I tend to view posting as a way of putting out ideas for public view and comment, not as a means of real conversation. I tend to lurk around until I come up with something that I want to say or see something that I want to respond to, and then write out a post that is as long as it needs to be. I'm almost never talking to anyone in particular.

jothki on