As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am so pumped for Dragon Age 2, the game where Obsidian takes Bioware's original game and makes it like 50% better! I can't wait for all the fun references to Dragon Age 1.

I guess I'll have to play Dragon Age 1 to get to #2, though. Oh well.

Actually I love Bioware games but mostly I just get excited about the possibility of Obsidian making the sequel. See: KOTOR2, NWN2.

I love KOTOR 2 and all but...what?

The odds of this are astronomically small given that Dragon Age is Bioware's own IP, much like Mass Effect. It has no relation to D&D and Wizards of the Coast.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm crossing my fingers that it has no good/bad meter. I love Bioware's games, but I'm so sick of that thing.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm crossing my fingers that it has no Mother Theresa/Snivelly Whiplash meter. I love Bioware's games, but I'm so sick of that thing.

Fixed.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To be honest I'm getting a little tired of dwarves. The stereotype of elves gets played with now and then, but dwarves? They never

ever

change.

I'd like to see Dwarves has Machiavellian bastards who are really pale, have black hair, and can't go out in sunlight without being hurt.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    To be honest I'm getting a little tired of dwarves. The stereotype of elves gets played with now and then, but dwarves? They never

ever

change.

I'd like to see Dwarves has Machiavellian bastards who are really pale, have black hair, and can't go out in sunlight without being hurt.

One idea I saw tossed around was Dwarves as dominant traders of the realm and a massively mercantile society, with little emphasis on a warrior tradition if any. I kind of liked that.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

ever

change.
    Not true at all. Sure, there is the old stereotype of the dwarf with the big battle axe, but sometimes games will have the dwarf use a hammer.

Also, dwarves hair color can vary greatly, from brown to black to reddish.

I mean, come on! How much more variety do you want?

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »

ever

change.
    Not true at all. Sure, there is the old stereotype of the dwarf with the big battle axe, but sometimes games will have the dwarf use a hammer.

Also, dwarves hair color can vary greatly, from brown to black to reddish.

I mean, come on! How much more variety do you want?
    I'd settle for them to not have a fucking scottish accent. Now that's something I'm sick of when it comes to Dwarves..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I just want to see some Dwarven women.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just want to see some Dwarven women.

You're a weird little dude, you know that?

Meiz on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

ever

change.

One idea I saw tossed around was Dwarves as dominant traders of the realm and a massively mercantile society, with little emphasis on a warrior tradition if any. I kind of liked that.

So basically gnomes.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sweet, vaporware thread! :P

Seriously though, I hope Bioware remembers that the reason that Baldur's Gates 1 and 2 were good was because they were classic dungeon crawls done perfectly, not because they had good/evil gimmicks.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Baldur's Gate 2 rocked because the city of Amn is one of the best cities in any videogame.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are dwarf women?

Also, those 2004 "screenshots" really aren't. They're Aurora Engine pre-viz stuff or something.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

ever

change.

So basically gnomes.

Sure. Dwarves look the part of an industrious sort better, and we could do with less midgets anyhow. Condense condense condense.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I remember when Mass Effect was in development (exclusive 360) and Bioware placated the PC crowd by saying this would be a PC exclusive.

Years later Mass Effect has been released on the PC and we still haven't got an update about Dragon Age.

tofu on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Baldur's Gate 2 was great because it actually had well-written characters, dialogue and plot.
    Bioware haven't been able to manage anything on the same standards since, and I'm inclined to attribute that to the absence of Black Isle.
    Nontheless, I retain some optimism this might be the next RPG with characters that are more than just cardboard cutouts.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate 2 was great because it actually had well-written characters, dialogue and plot.
    Bioware haven't been able to manage anything on the same standards since, and I'm inclined to attirubute that to the absence of Black Isle.
    Nontheless, I retain some optimism this might be the next RPG with characters that are more than just cardboard cutouts.

Baldur's Gate 1 didn't have any of those things. Sure 2 was better than 1 because of those additions, but 1 is still better than anything else Bioware has put out.

Needs more of the game aspect of roleplaying game, less trying hard to be Fallout and failing. Though, Mass Effect was definitely the best in that direction, and a good game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bioware haven't been able to manage anything on the same standards since, and I'm inclined to attirubute that to the absence of Black Isle.

Baldur's Gate 1 didn't have any of those things. Sure 2 was better than 1 because of those additions, but 1 is still better than anything else Bioware has put out.

You are going to have a staggeringly difficult time convincing people of that.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I remember when Mass Effect was in development (exclusive 360) and Bioware placated the PC crowd by saying this would be a PC exclusive.

Years later Mass Effect has been released on the PC and we still haven't got an update about Dragon Age.

I thought that they had already announced that this was only going to be a time limited exclusivity, like with ME?

If they haven't, it's not hard to guess that's what they're going to do anyway.

subedii on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I thought that they had already announced that this was only going to be a time limited exclusivity, like with ME?

From what little we know, it doesn't sound like a console-friendly game. That could be entirely wrong, though. Also, Bioware hasn't released something to just PC or Xbox in a while.

captaink on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, I really need to get around to playing Planescape: Torment. I never get very far before something distracts me.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You know, I really need to get around to playing Planescape: Torment. I never get very far before something distracts me.

Non sequitor?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    captaink wrote: »

From what little we know, it doesn't sound like a console-friendly game. That could be entirely wrong, though. Also, Bioware hasn't released something to just PC or Xbox in a while.

I really hope that this one makes it to consoles at some point, because I highly doubt my PC will run it.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Anyone who actually thinks Neverwinter Nights is anywhere near as good as Baldur's Gate is already beyond hope.

Kotor's good as an interactive story, but the gameplay is watered down to the point of boredom. Mass Effect is actually an amazing action-rpg. I wouldn't compare it directly to BG, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Anyone who actually thinks Neverwinter Nights is anywhere near as good as Baldur's Gate is already beyond hope.

Kotor's good as an interactive story, but the gameplay is watered down to the point of boredom. Mass Effect is actually an amazing action-rpg. I wouldn't compare it directly to BG, though.

Actually it turns out I misread a part of your post. Hilarity.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    captaink wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that one of the earlier interviews had them acknowledging that the controller doesn't have nearly the number of buttons that a kb has, and that dragon age is going to be designed from the ground up to take advantage of that. Of course, they've shown that they are pretty good at adapting control schemes now with how well MEPC controls.
    Bioware haven't been able to manage anything on the same standards since, and I'm inclined to attribute that to the absence of Black Isle.
    Meanwhile, a lot of the black isle people went to make obsidian and trokia, both of which have all that great writing and ploting, but lack the polish and balance that was in BG2 (kensai/mage excepted)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I met with a guy at GDC who was working on this game. The info dump's a little bit alter than he told me, but the game got pushed back so I'm not surprised.

I'm really pumped for this game pretty much solely because of my discussions with him.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One of the gaming magazines did an exclusive on the game a while back and they mentioned that the combat would be similar to the cave troll fight in Fellowship of the Ring.

tofu on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Black Isle actually worked on in the Baldur's Gate games (and it's incredibly common). The writing teams were not from Black Isle. They were BioWare employees.

Black Isle handled a lot of the publisher's responsibilities (being owned by the publisher), and contributed a lot to the games, but they did not write them. They did not make the engine. They did not design the games.

But at least some of the BG2 team are working on Dragon Age. BG2's lead writer, who was also lead designer of Throne of Bhaal, is the lead writer of Dragon Age, for instance.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love how people just assume that there will never be another game to equal those old RPGs as far as writing is concerned. Surely they haven't hired any new talent in ten years.

The truth is with the ability to animate characters and facial expressions they can do more with story than they could before. And they can do it with some subtlety like leaving out the huge info dumps that people mistake for character development in those older games.

Drool on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love how people just assume that there will never be another game to equal those old RPGs as far as writing is concerned.

The truth is with the ability to animate characters and facial expressions they can do more with story than they could before. And they can do it with some subtlety like leaving out the huge info dumps that people mistake for character development in those older games.
    Well that's the thing with really high quality games, surpassing them isn't done with ease, even if you have more advanced tools and setting your expectations too high will get you disappointed more often than not. Besides, most people here seem pretty optimistic. I am, well at least until they announce a console version.

Zell on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    I love how people just assume that there will never be another game to equal those old RPGs as far as writing is concerned. Surely they haven't hired any new talent in ten years.

And yet, they don't.
    I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Black Isle actually worked on in the Baldur's Gate games (and it's incredibly common). The writing teams were not from Black Isle. They were BioWare employees.

Black Isle handled a lot of the publisher's responsibilities (being owned by the publisher), and contributed a lot to the games, but they did not write them. They did not make the engine. They did not design the games.
    But comparing all other work by the respective companies invovled, I suspect they had more involvement than is officially the case.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Baldurs Gate 2 has been surpassed in one department or another many times over the years, the total sum of its parts however....has not.

Does that make sense?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are dwarf women?

I think there's a joke that says dwarven women exist, but they are hard to tell apart from the dwarven men.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    forbis316 wrote: »
    There are dwarf women?

I think there's a joke that says dwarven women exist, but they are hard to tell apart from the dwarven men.

It's not a joke. In a lot of the fantasy settings that talk about or depict dwarven women, they usually have beards.

Sometimes they're removed to make it less weird for people, though. Such as in D&D PC games. Outside of those games, dwarven women are depicted as being bearded, but in those games, dwarven woman are always sans beard.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Story is an afterthought in good RPG games. Its just like music and ambience, it enhances the total effect, it doesn't make it. No one claims that this aspect can't be done better. At least, I don't.

As for "huge info dumps that people mistake for character development", are you referring to Mass Effect, released last year? :lol:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Story is an afterthought in good RPG games. Its just like music and ambience, it enhances the total effect, it doesn't make it. No one claims that this aspect can't be done better. At least, I don't.

As for "huge info dumps that people mistake for character development", are you referring to Mass Effect, released last year? :lol:

The true master of the "EXPOSITION=QUALITY" will always be the JRPG.

I swear those games have a PHOBIA of the old saying "Show, don't tell".

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The true master of the "EXPOSITION=QUALITY" will always be the JRPG.

I swear those games have a PHOBIA of the old saying "Show, don't tell".

Its like all the devs went "Say, people like this whole 'story' thing we threw in with our 16 bit games, lets take that and run with it with slow, drawn out in-game cutscenes that last forever!".

I still love my 16 bit final fantasies, with thier relatively short, but still charming, character development. The 32 bit and later stuff, though? Liked it at the time, but its so slow and boring now.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Baldurs Gate 2 has been surpassed in one department or another many times over the years, the total sum of its parts however....has not.

Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me. Though BG2 has yet to be surpassed in the "Greatest Villain" category.

I hope Dragon Age has a good number of party members and that you cannot have them all with you at once. Oh also, I hope you are not forced to take in all recruitable NPCs. . . basically I want to pick and choose who I have in my entourage, if I don't like someone I want to be able to kick them to the wayside. None of this, "Oh sure random dude, you can come with me, just stay in this ship / inn while I save the galaxy / Faerun though."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jeremy Irons is the greatest villain the world has ever known.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
This discussion has been closed.