As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mount & Blade 0.808 check end of OP

• KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah I finally figured it out. I'm level 5 and I am getting my ass handed to me left and right. There are more and more war parties running around. I had a bag full of salt, several slaves and nearly 10 men, almost all completely wiped out by a group of mounted bandits of some sort. I was just outside of town and couldn't retreat. Wondering if it is too late for this character to play catch up.

I bought the game. There were some mods posted earlier in the thread, and a thread for mods on the main forum. What mod would I want that just adds more overall stuff to the regular game? Or even a mod that is similar to the regular game, only with more stuff. I see some weapon mods here, and a mod that adds more recruitable people. Even a mod for crafting. Can I download as many conversions as I want? I don't want to ruin anything or mess up any save files I have going.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karn, you're looking for Story Mod.

fsmith1 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    lucidique wrote:
    Wow, that game is amazing. Downloaded earlier today and had a goat it before lunch, i sucked big time. I eventually got better and started owning every battle at the arena. That's a pretty awesome game engine right there. How come it's not an mmo yet, i can't understand...

Anyway a couple questions for you guys. I'm currently level 2 and getting raped by Sea raiders ( Vikings that throw AXES at me, no less! ) And i recruited a couple farmers. It was funny seeing them run into battle and get sliced into french fries, but now i want some actual guards to defend me. How can i equip them with weapons?

Also, is the arena the same in every city? or can i expect better fighter in other towns?

A unit's equipment is based solely on its type. If you want better equipment, you need to promote your guys.

It's best to just hunt River Pirates for a while, until your skills and units are better upgraded. If something nasty is following you, just head to the nearest town and rest, they will go away once they can no longer see you.

jothki on
    edited November 2006
    jothki wrote:
    lucidique wrote:
    Wow, that game is amazing. Downloaded earlier today and had a goat it before lunch, i sucked big time. I eventually got better and started owning every battle at the arena. That's a pretty awesome game engine right there. How come it's not an mmo yet, i can't understand...

Anyway a couple questions for you guys. I'm currently level 2 and getting raped by Sea raiders ( Vikings that throw AXES at me, no less! ) And i recruited a couple farmers. It was funny seeing them run into battle and get sliced into french fries, but now i want some actual guards to defend me. How can i equip them with weapons?

Also, is the arena the same in every city? or can i expect better fighter in other towns?

A unit's equipment is based solely on its type. If you want better equipment, you need to promote your guys.

It's best to just hunt River Pirates for a while, until your skills and units are better upgraded. If something nasty is following you, just head to the nearest town and rest, they will go away once they can no longer see you.

Unless they are faster than you. :cry: Is your personal horse the only thing that determines overworld speed?

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I remember reading on their forums that the developers put a special flint lock pistol in the game just to try it out, did anyone get a chance to use it and was it any interesting?

Newtron on
  • Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I tried the flintlock a while ago. It wasn't anything special. Took a while to reload, not that accurate, but fairly damaging if you let 'em get up close before you fire.

Just stick to headshotting with bows.

Captain Uglyhead on
    Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
  • Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Do mods work with a demo version?

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    lucidique wrote:

Unless they are faster than you. :cry: Is your personal horse the only thing that determines overworld speed?
    the number of horses in your inventory vs number of people on foot

something like that

sticking 6 horses (any quality) in your inventory helps a bunch.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    lucidique wrote:

something like that

I am fairly certain you can keep them in your companions inventory as well.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    lucidique wrote:

something like that

And there's the pathfinding skill too.

jothki on
    edited November 2006
    I didn't know I could just carry horses around for no reason!! Also, does having these horses effect whether or not my hirelings have horses in battle?

Dammit this changes a lot of things.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    I didn't know I could just carry horses around for no reason!! Also, does having these horses effect whether or not my hirelings have horses in battle?

Why yes. Yes it does.

I exclusively use cavalry in battle myself. Especially in Last Days. Gondor sucks.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Karn wrote:

Why yes. Yes it does.

I exclusively use cavalry in battle myself. Especially in Last Days. Gondor sucks.
    No it doesn't. You can give Borcha and Marnid horses, which they will use if their riding skill is high enough, but the only way to get generic mounted troops is through the promotion tree, and you don't have to provide them with horses.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The troops won't use em, but i'm pretty sure more horses in your inventory increases map speed, for like caravans n shit. I guess you could say the horses are carrying your goods.

Newtron on
    edited November 2006
    Lork wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Karn wrote:

Why yes. Yes it does.

No it doesn't. You can give Borcha and Marnid horses, which they will use if their riding skill is high enough, but the only way to get generic mounted troops is through the promotion tree, and you don't have to provide them with horses.
    I started out with Esquires of Rohan on foot. I accumulated horses. I purchased more esquires of Rohan. Next time I fought, they were mounted.

Explain that, Wrongy McWrongwrong.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    lucidique wrote:

something like that

Really? Companions have an inventory? Hell that I didn't know.

Also I recently learned through trial and error TRACKING LEVEL TWO IS NEEEEEEEEEEEEEDED.

Ugh, man it is so needed.

Dee Kae on
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Lork wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Karn wrote:

Why yes. Yes it does.

I started out with Esquires of Rohan on foot. I accumulated horses. I purchased more esquires of Rohan. Next time I fought, they were mounted.

Are you thinking of Rohan Youth? Because all of my esquires of rohan have been mounted. since forever.

Where grey is mounted:
    rohantree1ur.gif

Also, rohan has really good cavalry, but they all use polearms so they're completely fucked if they get stopped and mobbed by spearmen or de-horsed. Because of this, I have a lot of top-tier gondorian cavalrymen and mostly veteran/elite rohan horsemen.

Jinnigan on
  • Casses JudgerCasses Judger Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Lork wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:
    Karn wrote:

Why yes. Yes it does.

I started out with Esquires of Rohan

(A mod may add this functionality, which is unlikely as noted above, but in the base game only those characters may be manually and without advancement.)

Casses Judger on
  • Seta FDSeta FD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Whenever I try to run M&B, a small white window comes up for a few seconds, then a fullscreen white window comes up, and nothing happens. Why is this happening to me?

Seta FD on
    bridgetsigea1.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    I love it when people act like complete smartarses when they're wrong. It brings me joy.

Tube on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Karn wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    lucidique wrote:

something like that

Really? Companions have an inventory? Hell that I didn't know.

Also I recently learned through trial and error TRACKING LEVEL TWO IS NEEEEEEEEEEEEEDED.

Ugh, man it is so needed.
    You don't have to learn it yourself though. I find that the combat skills make the most difference when I use them anyway, so I offload all of the party skills onto Borcha and Marnid. I think Borcha starts with level 1 tracking too, so that's one less skill point to spend.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited November 2006
    I might never get Marnid. I can never find padded armor and when I do I can't afford it. I try to deliver salt and tools between Tulga and the starting town, but I always get gangraped and robbed before I get there. I've leveled up quite a bit, and so as my ragtag army, but it seems as though the damned NPCs are scaling up with me. Before I was being terrorized by groups of mounted deserters. Now I have knights riding around in groups many times the size in the same place. :|

I have a mod that is supposed to be able to help your dudes level faster, and it does seem to work to some degree, but I worry that I am getting seriously outleveled by the npcs. Also, the mod likes to split money between me and companions. The split SEEMS to be Companions = 99% of the gold, Me = 1% and any items. This split sucks and I have perhaps lost hundreds of gold because of it. But the mod really does help with XP. :( However, it is much easier to make gold in the arena, since there is a tooooooon of events to choose from, which tend to pay more if you win. But God DAMN if the AI isn't cheap sometimes. It just gets old after a while, and I just want to get out there and fight real battles.

Is there a breakdown of the Native game's troop types?

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    where the fuck is borcha

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    I might never get Marnid. I can never find padded armor and when I do I can't afford it. I try to deliver salt and tools between Tulga and the starting town, but I always get gangraped and robbed before I get there. I've leveled up quite a bit, and so as my ragtag army, but it seems as though the damned NPCs are scaling up with me. Before I was being terrorized by groups of mounted deserters. Now I have knights riding around in groups many times the size in the same place. :|

I have a mod that is supposed to be able to help your dudes level faster, and it does seem to work to some degree, but I worry that I am getting seriously outleveled by the npcs. Also, the mod likes to split money between me and companions. The split SEEMS to be Companions = 99% of the gold, Me = 1% and any items. This split sucks and I have perhaps lost hundreds of gold because of it. But the mod really does help with XP. :( However, it is much easier to make gold in the arena, since there is a tooooooon of events to choose from, which tend to pay more if you win. But God DAMN if the AI isn't cheap sometimes. It just gets old after a while, and I just want to get out there and fight real battles.

Is there a breakdown of the Native game's troop types?
    I've found a nice tactic that seems to work, lets you even take on forest raiders an sea raiders.

All you need is a horse, and some men. place men on hill, tell them to hold position then charge the enemy alone circling them and picking off whoever is stupid enough to run into you. Your buddies will support with ranged attacks and you'll be pounding away.

Though this doesn't work all the time, and archers make this tactic risky, that is... if you leave them alive. ;D

Other then that, damn I agree with you on that padded armor bit.

Dee Kae on
    edited November 2006
    the trick is to learn to use terrain to your advantage, as well as timing your "charge" order.

Also, getting the biggest fucking axe you can get your hands on.

here is an introduction to combat basics

here is an introduction to commanding infantry, but much of what's explained can be extrapolated to cavalry and archers

Jinnigan on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You know what's really satisfying?

Having a Heavy Charger horse, a Balanced Great Axe, and charging against a shitload of infantry. CUT CUT CUT STAB IS NOT A POSSIBILITY!

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited November 2006
    Can you imagine if this game were capable of massively mutliplayer gameplay? Players participating in arena matches and ladders. Even better would be a crafting system. The game would definitely need better seiges though. And perhaps the overworld map wouldn't work either.

But I'm seriously loving the hell out of this game. :'(

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    Can you imagine if this game were capable of massively mutliplayer gameplay? Players participating in arena matches and ladders. Even better would be a crafting system. The game would definitely need better seiges though. And perhaps the overworld map wouldn't work either.

But I'm seriously loving the hell out of this game. :'(

Download Storymod. You can find in the modding section of the forums.

It has crafting, along with many other things that IMO make the game better. More armor, more weapons, storyline quests, another Faction, etc.

The crafting is kinda pissing me off though, I have no idea where to get the materials I need. Sure you can chop wood, but how do you make a Musket stock out of that? You can mine, but how do you make an Axe head?

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Guys guys guys GUYS!

Version .800 is out. :D:D

Go get that puppy.
    I was maintaining a proper changelog for the new version and even maintained it for a few weeks, but then being the lazy old me, I gave up on it. But I am sure you'll do an even better job and discover the changes and list them in a new thread. Whatever, let me list some of the more important new features:

Graphics:
    1) New DirectX9 rendering pipeline and better graphics and effects in general.
    2) Most of the equipment being carried is now shown on the characters.
    3) New Loading and start-up screen, improved character, inventory and face generator screens.
    Gameplay:
    4) Battles on the map can now involve more than two NPC parties. In other words, NPC parties can join an existing battle just like the player.
    5) Party skill level calculation is changed. Now the highest skill level in the party is selected but a penalty is applied if leader's skill is much less than the highest skill level.
    The penalty is 1 if the difference is between 3 - 5, 2 if the difference is between 6-8, and 3 if the difference is 9 or higher.
    Changes for modders:
    6) There are loads of changes for modders, most importantly, the entire party encounter logic is now implemented in the module system. In short the game can be modified in many new and different ways.
    (Edit: I don't believe I forgot to mention this one:)
    7) Support for multiple languages and localization.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • IAmTheRadIAmTheRad Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    0.800 is AWESOME.

Specially when NPCs join a battle against black knights ;)

IAmTheRad on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Read about it here!

Time to get back into the game.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Greeeeaaaat, now I have to drag my laptop down here and hook it up to the internet and wait for the kick assatude to download.

RoyceSraphim on
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm guessing most mods are incompatible? Because I don't really ever play native (Seriously guys, Holy War, Last Days, Rome, FantasyMod, these are a few of the mods that improve gameplay ten thousandfold) and I dunno if it's worth it to lose all those saves just to get some new shite.

fsmith1 on
    edited November 2006
    fsmith1 wrote:
    I'm guessing most mods are incompatible? Because I don't really ever play native (Seriously guys, Holy War, Last Days, Rome, FantasyMod, these are a few of the mods that improve gameplay ten thousandfold) and I dunno if it's worth it to lose all those saves just to get some new shite.
    Here's what I do:

Download the installer
    Install the new version to a different folder (eg .../Mount&Blade800/)
    Once new versions of mods come out, delete old version
    ???
    Profit!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited November 2006
    This version is extremely buggy, unfortunately. Might have to wait til .801.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Eh, I'm going to wait for a new version that adds something significant.

Tube on
    edited November 2006
    Eh, I'm going to wait for a new version that adds something significant.
    What, another dolled up version of "training grounds" not enough for ya?

Hehe. Notice how to add variety to the enemies, the voice recording varies in speed. The result is that you have some guys sounding like they've inhaled helium, and some that could pass for Barry White.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Vikings? There are Vikings? Shit, I can play this game all I want and claim it's research for my degree :D

I want this game so bad, but I have another week before I go home to a computer more powerful than a media toaster laptop.

What are the specs for this game? I searched the site but couldn't find any info. Would it be possible to, say, commandeer one of my friend's Vaio laptops to try it out before I go home?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited November 2006
    So if I download the game again, I can unlock it with my cd key and have two installs? I don't want to lose the arena expansion mod. It's awesome. :(

Edit: I don't see any announcements about a new version on their webpage.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited November 2006
    Karn wrote:
    So if I download the game again, I can unlock it with my cd key and have two installs? I don't want to lose the arena expansion mod. It's awesome. :(

Edit: I don't see any announcements about a new version on their webpage.
    Yes sir.

If you forgot your key they can email it to you.

And you have to go to the forums to get the new version.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg