As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE OMEGATHON!

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And in the annual grudge match Gabe took down Tycho 4 races to 1. To which Tycho eloquantly responded "Fuck! Two years in a row."

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, now I really wish I had gotten my buttons ordered in time with my avatar on them. :(

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Congrats Joey Geko! Hope you have fun in Tokyo... you've earned it, especially after that jenga match! ;)

Keep in touch fellow omeganauts - it was great meeting and hanging out with all of you!!

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How come I don't see a Joey or Grace in the OP?

Goose! on
  • woodoostickawoodoosticka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It was a lot of fun to watch

woodoosticka on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And in the annual grudge match Gabe took down Tycho 4 races to 1. To which Tycho eloquantly responded "Fuck! Two years in a row."

haha, i was amazed at how n00bish everyone seemed at excitebike. was it all the pressure, did the game play different than the American version, or was it something else?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    they looked like they never played. it looks and plays just like the american original.

if they ever played it as a kid, they would have had the hang of it by the fourth win, but nope.

also- fuck. yes. excitebike. fuck minibosses for not playing it at this year's concert.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • sithsethsithseth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    fuck minibosses for not playing it at this year's concert.

I lost my voice screaming for it... but I can't stay angry at the Minibosses.

sithseth on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yes. heart them so

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Only released in Japan, 1987 release Vs. Excitebike for the Famicom Disk System was the final match for the Omegathon. A best of seven series, Joey Geko took victory in four straight matches. Grace Wang was announced as the first Omeganaut for 2009.

This makes me want a famicon disk setup JUST for that. Why does america get screwed on awesome games? Ahh well, I wish I could of been there for it.

Viscountalpha on
  • ncallawayncallaway Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    haha, i was amazed at how n00bish everyone seemed at excitebike. was it all the pressure, did the game play different than the American version, or was it something else?
    Hey, I'm fallout, one of the Omeganauts from this last year.

I can confirm that I did not play much excitebike as a kid (I didn't own a NES...), so I only got to play over at my friend's house on occasion. I remember it fondly, though, and I thought it was an awesome final round. I just wish I could've made it last a little longer by putting a win on the board (thank the lord Tycho got at least a win on that blue bike).

Anyway, just wanted to drop by and say "hi," since I think I'll start hitting up the forums more frequently...

ncallaway on
  • darthtrevinodarthtrevino Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    That was such a blast! I'm glad I got to compete in the Rock Band round, I was looking forward to that the most.

But I'm a bit heartbroken as well. So SOHC alum, who should we blame for our rock band fail?

darthtrevino on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Those who weren't able to make the final round can view a handycam recording of it here. Not the best quality, but it'll do until the PAX 2008 DVD is available.

Nijhazer on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait were the Omeganauts required to play on Medium difficulty for Rock Band?

And what was the song?

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    edited September 2008
    Yea, we were all told to play medium; the song was "Eye of the Tiger" (which so badly needed to be in Rock Band. I can't wait for two to come out so I can try it on Expert).

Nice video above, too...I can't wait for the PAX '08 DVD to come out.

ncallaway on
  • Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey Folks!

I believe that Jen(the last femalnaut) went out in Geo Wars 2. The third round.

What a fucking blast it was over the weekend.

Luv ya Fallout! ;-)

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok. we need Vs. Excitebike for Wii VC like NOW.

Viscountalpha on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Congrats to Joey. He's a total class act and earned my support after losing in the Rock Band round. Enjoy your trip to Japan. Oh, good luck to Fallout in next years event.
    That was such a blast! I'm glad I got to compete in the Rock Band round, I was looking forward to that the most.

But I'm a bit heartbroken as well. So SOHC alum, who should we blame for our rock band fail?

I don't think it's a good idea to call out names on the forums. You said it best in our interview that RB on Medium is all about being flawless with the star power. BTW, I'm really glad you took ahold of that interview right then as I was about as furious as all get out after losing that round. I got over it the next day after the Jenga tower "accident" though.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • darthtrevinodarthtrevino Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I saw that on Joystiq (the grief was still too near that morning). That was badass man, it must have felt great!

darthtrevino on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm not sure what happened.

I heard something about the star powers being missed on the drums or something, and I know that I didn't maintain a perfect 4x combo the whole time either.

Plutonium on
  • scharfscharf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    does the new 2009 omeganaut have to contact gabe, tycho, or Robert in order to confirm that their name was called in the drawing? Thanks :)

scharf on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    scharf wrote: »
    does the new 2009 omeganaut have to contact gabe, tycho, or Robert in order to confirm that their name was called in the drawing? Thanks :)

Being that a name and e-mail address was required on the raffle cards, I'd assume that they'd contact the new Omeganaut themselves. Considering that they're probably still busy or tired from finishing up PAX activities, I'm also going to guess that they also haven't had time to get around to that yet. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to send them a line if you feel the need to.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Being that a name and e-mail address was required on the raffle cards, I'd assume that they'd contact the new Omeganaut themselves. Considering that they're probably still busy or tired from finishing up PAX activities, I'm also going to guess that they also haven't had time to get around to that yet. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to send them a line if you feel the need to.

[email protected]
    or
    [email protected]
    easy 'nuff

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • a_midgetta_midgett ?Registered User new member
    edited September 2008

I wouldn't worry about it. I watched Travis (Chief Omegatech) put the winning card in his wallet. It's safe there. I know this because, at the time, he was surprised to find LAST year's card still in there.

My guess is that the selected Omeganaut won't hear anything until the 2009 contestants are drawn.

a_midgett on
    edited September 2008
    Hey,

As the name that was drawn last year, I can confirm that they'll get a hold of you. It'll happen closer to next year, rather than anytime soon (if they follow the same pattern next year, that they did this year). Good luck next year, dude.

Gecko, if anyone won (no offense other omeganauts) I'm glad it was you; congrats on that man. That was the craziest weekend ever...

I don't know if next year will be the same without the Gecko to compete against...

Enjoy Tokyo!

ncallaway on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I gotta say it.

Mutherfuckin' Ohio represent. Nice going Gecko. Way to prove Ohio doesn't suck at video games.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Of course Ohio can play video games well, because what the hell else are you going to do there? ;-)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Shit on people's sidewalks?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Shit on people's sidewalks?

O_o

(note to self: don't go to Ohio ;) )

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Of course Ohio can play video games well, because what the hell else are you going to do there? ;-)

Says the guy from Canada...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Says the guy from Canada...

Your point? We have sled races and ice fishing to keep us occupied.

tr0tsky on
  • scharfscharf Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ncallaway wrote: »

As the name that was drawn last year, I can confirm that they'll get a hold of you. It'll happen closer to next year, rather than anytime soon (if they follow the same pattern next year, that they did this year). Good luck next year, dude.

Thanks for the info, but it wasn't me who got picked. My girlfriend was actually picked in the drawing. Looking forward to next year, and good luck to you as well!

scharf on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Great job, Joey. I didn't really have a "favorite" Omeganaught but then I talked to you for a couple of mins outside during a smoke break about Jenga & the tourney before the Family Feud event. I'm glad you won; enjoy your time in Tokyo. Good luck next year to Fallout & Grace next year.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
    edited September 2008
    Hey guys! I got the 4th round of the Omegathon uploaded on Youtube. I broke it into 3 parts:

The evil and vile Omegadeath performance:
    The pure and holy School of Hard Cocks performance:
    And finally, the results:
    I'll be adding more rounds and other videos as the weekend goes on.

Later.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone have footage of the peggle round? thanks.

Viscountalpha on
  • Dark_Neko_SakuraDark_Neko_Sakura __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    wow that looked awesum!

Dark_Neko_Sakura on
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone have footage of the peggle round? thanks.

Sadly no. The only way to see that round will be to buy the DVD. Nobody was allowed to record footage while we were playing to make sure that cheating wouldn't occur. The round was structured so that we could play Peggle for up to 30 minutes. During that time we could play as many games as we wanted and keep one score. The catch is that the score we kept had to be the most recent game finished.

So, if I scored 300,000 points in a game, I had to decide if that was my score or to try again. If I played another game, that 300,000 score was no longer an option. We couldn't see what the other players scores while playing and having heightened security made it so that there wouldn't be any outside interference.

Not fun for spectators, but the best way to handle that round in my opinion.

I've also uploaded some more Omegathon rounds to my Youtube page. I now have following games up for viewing:

My Round 2 Boom Blox game (starring me, Pikachoochoo, Amadil, and Fallout. Sorry about the rest.)
    Three of the Round 3 Geometry Wars games (sorry, my guys didn't record the Geko/Fallout/Steve(?) game)
    Both Round 4 Rock Band performances (screw the hated Omegadeath)
    Both Round 5 Jenga games (watch how the hands shake)

It's all located here:
    http://www.youtube.com/MNCDover

Enjoy!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I noticed that the Omeganauts this year had t-shirts to identify them. I wish they could have thought of that for the years prior to that. I also liked that they did a recap video right before the final round..I hope they decide to keep the shirts and the recap things consistant.

Cynd3rCyn on
  • DarkphibreDarkphibre Photographer / Programmer / Data Scientist / Gamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I may just have the most comprehensive set of omegathon photos, with over 1500 Omegathon pictures for PAX08 up on my main site:
    http://www.darkphibre.com/Albums/Pax08/Photos/Omegathon

And the best-of 300 or so on my Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkphibre/collections/72157607083457621/

Omeganauts: Let me know if you want larger sizes of anything! Just use filenames, since there are a lot. :)

Darkphibre on
    Gamertag: Darkphibre, or Me for Halo! darkphibre.com, flickr

Dark Fibre: Fiberoptic cable placed in anticipation of future demand

7z9qpxgpj3ha.png
    edited September 2008
    Nice videos, Dover. The Jenga is still horrifying to watch...Now I truly appreciate the advice you gave us to open that round...

"Start around the middle of the tower...And use your whole hand..."

Pretty unforgettable...

ncallaway on
This discussion has been closed.