As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!!] Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution: OP Update - gamertag PA CIV REV LIST

• Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Kalkino, what system did you pick this up for? I can pull out my DS cart to be trounced this weekend sometime.

I was just popping in this thread to see if anyone else had the DS version. I'm up for a game sometime later this week/weekend if youre interested.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I picked the 360 version up a week or so ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. My favorite civilization to date is Spain: if you're lucky enough to find some whales nearby for your early cities, you get off to a very nice start (4 Food & 2 Trade a space).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kalkino, what system did you pick this up for? I can pull out my DS cart to be trounced this weekend sometime.

I have the DS version. This weekend could work - i'll PM you.

One thing that is bothering me is the awesomeness of the General on defence. I experimented this morning on the train and I lost 6 bombers, 15 tanks, 4 artillery and 4 Modern Infantry + a battleship in support - against Knights and Riflemen - I don't think I killed a single unit despite all the losses.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »

I have the DS version. This weekend could work - i'll PM you.

One thing that is bothering me is the awesomeness of the General on defence. I experimented this morning on the train and I lost 6 bombers, 15 tanks, 4 artillery and 4 Modern Infantry + a battleship in support - against Knights and Riflemen - I don't think I killed a single unit despite all the losses.

I'll look for that PM. Best time would be Saturday morning for me (anytime after say 8 AM EST through early afternoon) and afternoon/evening for you.

And on the general front, did you remember to group your units into armies first? I don't recall ever having that much of a problem once I have tanks and Modern Infantry.

@Zerokku - Sure. Once I figure out when I'm playing against Kalkino, I'll let you know what other time I have available and see if we can set up a match.

Darian on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ganluan wrote: »
    The numbers mean the same, it's just that on Chieftain difficulty that you get a boost to all of your stats.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hard" - Warlord is the second easiest, followed by King, then Emperor, then Deity. Which one are you on? I've found being as aggressive as possible early on really helps on higher difficulties.

yah I was way off. What I meant is that King is too easy and Emperor is too hard. It find myself losing alot of battles that are greatly in my favor, statistically, yet on King difficulty it's the opposite, in that I sometimes win battles that are not in my favor.

I must admit, however, that my last game (King-Monguls) may have felt easy because I was lucky enough to find almost all the barbarian huts very quickly so I had more cities than everyone else combined at the beginning of the game.

Anyone else use a centralized city to connect all the roads to and put your defense (catapults) there so they can rush to the aid of any city that is in trouble? I find the best defense is to attacke their offense when they get to the adjacent square to your city, but before they can attack. Only downfall is if the enemy uses knights.

I haven't much experience with the end game because I usually quit by then because I have tanks, artillary, and bombers vs their knights and legions. If I could get to the end game on emperor difficulty I'm sure that would be different.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FYI, Catapults are not really meant for defense. Archers/Pikemen/Riflemen/Modern Infantry armies are most effective.

Catapults are City Siege units, primarily.

In any case I love this game. I've got Emperor pretty locked down, but Deity still kicks my ass pretty regularly. I'm going to try the Super-City strategy to see if I can hold out long enough to get a non-Domination victory.

Imagining a Dom victory on Deity is....disconcerting.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    JohnHam wrote: »
    FYI, Catapults are not really meant for defense. Archers/Pikemen/Riflemen/Modern Infantry armies are most effective.

In any case I love this game. I've got Emperor pretty locked down, but Deity still kicks my ass pretty regularly. I'm going to try the Super-City strategy to see if I can hold out long enough to get a non-Domination victory.

are they for city sieging or just general offensive units? Because I use them as an offensive defense which has worked quite well so far. Basically, they never get attacked. They just wait for potential enemies to get within attacking distance of my city and then they attack their offense.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »

are they for city sieging or just general offensive units? Because I use them as an offensive defense which has worked quite well so far. Basically, they never get attacked. They just wait for potential enemies to get within attacking distance of my city and then they attack their offense.

If they are on the same tile as a defensive unit (all the ones I mentioned) then they won't get attacked, the defensive unit will take it. Or at least, the best unit for Defense as determined by its "number".

That strategy isn't ridiculous, but I'd probably use Knights instead. The issue with your strategy is that many, many offensive units, if given the jump on a Catapult, will win, unless of course you use other things to your advantage, like hills (+50% Attack) or across rivers (Catapults don't have the -50% River-crossing penalty).

Once you play for a while, all the units kind of fall into place. The Naval/Air units not withstanding.

There's a pretty clear general progression for land units, The Defensive Unit one is obvious and vital, because as far as straight up city defense is concerned, they are the best. The Siege unit one is something like...Catapult -> Cannon -> Artillery, and they're your general city attackers. The progression between Warriors/Legions/Horsemen/Knights/Eventually Tanks, is a little bit less clear, that or I just don't get it yet.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited September 2008

If they are on the same tile as a defensive unit (all the ones I mentioned) then they won't get attacked, the defensive unit will take it. Or at least, the best unit for Defense as determined by its "number".

That strategy isn't ridiculous, but I'd probably use Knights instead. The issue with your strategy is that many, many offensive units, if given the jump on a Catapult, will win, unless of course you use other things to your advantage, like hills (+50% Attack) or across rivers (Catapults don't have the -50% River-crossing penalty).

Once you play for a while, all the units kind of fall into place. The Naval/Air units not withstanding.

There's a pretty clear general progression for land units, The Defensive Unit one is obvious and vital, because as far as straight up city defense is concerned, they are the best. The Siege unit one is something like...Catapult -> Cannon -> Artillery, and they're your general city attackers. The progression between Warriors/Legions/Horsemen/Knights/Eventually Tanks, is a little bit less clear, that or I just don't get it yet.

basically what I was trying to say is I always have "real" defensive units on the same tile as the catapults but they are rarely tested because my catapults attack anythin that gets within range. I do the attacking from the city (with catapults) when enemies get adjacent to it. This way the enemy can't build up troops next to the city because I don't have to wait for them to attack to get rid of them

edit: however, if you are saying that catapults have bonus stats againts city defenders my strategy may be lacking. I just do this because I figures catapults have a very high attack rating offset by a very low defense rating.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Catapults don't have default bonus stats, but they do get the upgrades designed for city attacks (Infiltration, Blitz, etc.)

Defensive units get things like Engineer (+100% City Def) and Loyalty (+ Def when supported by others)

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited September 2008
    The numbers mean the same, it's just that on Chieftain difficulty that you get a boost to all of your stats.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hard" - Warlord is the second easiest, followed by King, then Emperor, then Deity. Which one are you on? I've found being as aggressive as possible early on really helps on higher difficulties.

yah I was way off. What I meant is that King is too easy and Emperor is too hard. It find myself losing alot of battles that are greatly in my favor, statistically, yet on King difficulty it's the opposite, in that I sometimes win battles that are not in my favor.

I must admit, however, that my last game (King-Monguls) may have felt easy because I was lucky enough to find almost all the barbarian huts very quickly so I had more cities than everyone else combined at the beginning of the game.

Anyone else use a centralized city to connect all the roads to and put your defense (catapults) there so they can rush to the aid of any city that is in trouble? I find the best defense is to attacke their offense when they get to the adjacent square to your city, but before they can attack. Only downfall is if the enemy uses knights.

I haven't much experience with the end game because I usually quit by then because I have tanks, artillary, and bombers vs their knights and legions. If I could get to the end game on emperor difficulty I'm sure that would be different.

Oh, well I did launch this experiment because I had just lost a 7 tank army to a knight at the same town. BOO

Kalkino on
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, well I did launch this experiment because I had just lost a 7 tank army to a knight at the same town. BOO

Those kind of losses are infuriating. In the PC civ games, that is usually followed by a "TAKE THIS!" nuclear attack on said knight unit.

Has the MP component of this game been patched yet on the 360?

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, using high attack units as a sort of counter-attack defense is pretty effective. Catapults and the like don't move when they defeat an enemy so you can just park them in a city with a high defense unit and slowly but steadily take out the surrounding enemies.

I just beat the game with Lincoln on King. My free Great Person was the kind that gives +50% Population Growth. I moved my settler over a space or two to find a good growth location with lots of plains, grasslands, and a couple resources (after Courthouse). Needless to say, my capital was very powerful before long. Heck, after winning, I reloaded a save near the end and got the 200 hammers in one city achievement.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, using high attack units as a sort of counter-attack defense is pretty effective. Catapults and the like don't move when they defeat an enemy so you can just park them in a city with a high defense unit and slowly but steadily take out the surrounding enemies.

I just beat the game with Lincoln on King. My free Great Person was the kind that gives +50% Population Growth. I moved my settler over a space or two to find a good growth location with lots of plains, grasslands, and a couple resources (after Courthouse). Needless to say, my capital was very powerful before long. Heck, after winning, I reloaded a save near the end and got the 200 hammers in one city achievement.

i always move my initial settler quite a few times before finding a nice place to settle. If I don;t like it I start over. Every game I try to make my initial settlement a powerhouse so I refuse to start in a sub-par location.

come to think of it, the first era is my favorite part of the game

EDIT: anyone know if there is a way of telling what type of units the enemy has on one tile when they have more than one unit on that tile? I'm thinking it defaults to display the highest defense unit on the tile.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i always move my initial settler quite a few times before finding a nice place to settle. If I don;t like it I start over. Every game I try to make my initial settlement a powerhouse so I refuse to start in a sub-par location.

Most of the time, every turn you move around without settling puts you significantly behind in the early game. Having a Warrior ready even one turn sooner can mean you took a nearby enemy city.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Most of the time, every turn you move around without settling puts you significantly behind in the early game. Having a Warrior ready even one turn sooner can mean you took a nearby enemy city.

i've always wondered where the happy medium resides with regard to the initial settlement. If you should settle right away then that takes a lot of the fun away from finding the perfect spot for your capital.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    anyone still playing this on DS, except Darian and I? If so advise if you want to play a game sometime with us

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am, just send me a message sometime and I'll see if we can get a match going.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zerokku wrote: »
    I am, just send me a message sometime and I'll see if we can get a match going.

Will do.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Friend codes:

Darian - 356 632 887 922
    Kalkino - 287 925 844 242

We'll probably look to play again next saturday morning (EST).

Darian on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone know if they actually fixed the MP for this on 360?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alright. Just note that I live in Arizona, so I'm not even awake before 11:00 EST =P

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    anyone pick up that DLC victory thing? i downloaded the free map pack, but didnt spring for the pay... thing. if anyone wants to sway me that way im listening though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Anyone know if they actually fixed the MP for this on 360?

On their forums they say the patch is going to certification this week and that it should be out as soon as Microsoft gives the okay.

I may get the pay content with some of those free points from Stride. If I do I'll let you all know if it's worth it.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Alright. Just note that I live in Arizona, so I'm not even awake before 11:00 EST =P

We started about 10:30 today; Kalkino lives over in the UK, so this could be interesting to schedule a three-way.

Darian on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    anyone still playing this on DS, except Darian and I? If so advise if you want to play a game sometime with us

I'm still around, too. I'll look up my friend code before Saturday.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't mind playing in the evening UK time - which should allow for those in PST or central time to still have a good sleep in

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So I may be able to play Sunday - Arizona is about 8 hours behind GMT, and the East Coast about 5.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm traveling this weekend, so I'm out. Hopefully you can set something up with Zerokku and PolloDiablo, though.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Kalkino and I will be playing this on the DS starting about 9AM EST this Saturday morning, if anyone else wants to jump in.

Friend codes:

Darian - 356 632 887 922
    Kalkino - 287 925 844 242

Darian on
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm still playing this game as well - I really like it alot. I got all 4 of the deity wins out of the way, now all I have left is the 1000AD challenge and the 200 hammers. I feel like there should be some more achievements out there, seems like they kinda skimped on the number.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still love this game, but I haven't played it in a while. The last time I played was a few months ago, and the MP was still slightly borken. Is it fixed yet?

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there anything else I'm missing for acheivements? I can seem to find a good list for this game...

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    I still love this game, but I haven't played it in a while. The last time I played was a few months ago, and the MP was still slightly borken. Is it fixed yet?

Version 1.3 is fairly stable, although I have had the occasional game crash while playing multiplayer. Most multiplayer games finish without a problem though.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not to raise a thread from the dead, but is there still any interest in this game? I picked up the PS3 demo the other day, and it hooked me. However, before I go whole-hog and buy the retail version (used it looks like it retails for $35, give or take) I want to make sure I'll be able to find another human being to play against.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't know about the PS3 version, but as someone who plays this game online rather frequently, it's still pretty easy to find free-for-all ranked matches on the 360 version.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I like this game, maybe I'll play a game tomorrow.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I've been playing with my girlfriend since release date - and we've slowly gotten every victory on the 4 difficulties up to Emperor mode.

We're now on our 4th attempt at a cultural victory and we either get pummeled by our neighbor and constantly have to focus on defense, or (in 2 out of 3 cases) another culture gets to Alpha Centauri way before we get the U.N.

Any tips?! How are people getting victories before 1000 AD, or any of these other crazy achievements on the list? We're not sure how to proceed since no matter how much culture, how many cities we flip, or how quickly we build up, another leader is literally 8 techs ahead of us by 1950 or so. It seems nuts!

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I 1000 pointed this but I have no idea how I did it, I was just very, very addicted. You do need to actively trade with toher civs though and do exactly what they want to get the tech advantage.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For the 1000AD achievement, play on King as the Aztecs and fucking spam Horsemen. Be prepared to Save/Load a lot.

If they actually patched this I might come back, fucking thing wouldnt work worth shit before.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif