As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain Rainbow: Birdo's Sex Change Is Finally Canonical!

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    According to Nintendo core gamers are comprised of geeks, otakus and homosexuals....
    I knew there was a reason I stuck by Nintendo all these years

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fuck yes.

Captian Rainbow for Smash Brothers 4.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, what are we looking at here?

The bastard lovechild of Startropics and Viewtiful Joe?

With a little bit of Cho Aniki and Rygar: The Legendary Adventure thrown in for good measure.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What language were they speaking in the trailer?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    koonchukoonchu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I fucking hate this game. I also hate that it makes me touch myself. Down there.

koonchu on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    This game looks hilarious. I'd buy it. But I'm sure we wont be getting it... Unless they changed his name to Captain Murderface and he's black and red. Instead of yoyos they'll give him daggers.

Perhaps you would be more interested in Mad World

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fuck. Another awesomely bizarre game that I will never get to play.

The premise sort of reminds me of Captain N.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's actually some info on how this game plays, and fortunately there's no mention of a Birdo dating sim.
    The upcoming Wii title stars a less-than-stellar yo-yo wielding super-hero -- real name Nick -- on a quest to bring back his glory days of old.

He ends up on Mimin Island, a place said to have the power to make wishes come true.

Gameplay mostly occurs in one of two game modes.

An adventure section has the Captain exploring the game's tropical setting.

This is when he'll interact with the island's residents -- a host of minor characters from various Nintendo franchises. You'll end up playing a variety of mini-games, trying to earn special crystals called "kirarin."

Collect 20 crystals, and you'll gain access to a more action-oriented part of the game. This will take the form of a side-scrolling chase for a falling, wish-granting star. Get the star, and you find yourself with a dilemma: grant your own wish, or help out one of the island's residents.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/08/captain-rainbow.html#more

Apparently this is coming out in Japan Aug. 28th. Huh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's actually some info on how this game plays, and fortunately there's no mention of a Birdo dating sim.
    Collect 20 crystals, and you'll gain access to a more action-oriented part of the game. This will take the form of a side-scrolling chase for a falling, wish-granting star. Get the star, and you find yourself with a dilemma: grant your own wish, or help out one of the island's residents.
    So, it seems not even Nintendo games can escape the Good/Evil "choice" any longer.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    video is down, damn it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38106.html#comments_top

The music is so.... good. And it just looks so... quirky.

I shouldn't be getting so pumped up for this game, there is no way it'll make it here I bet. :(

Tairu on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some hands-on love from Game|Life, I think you can kiss any hopes of seeing a release outside of Japan goodbye.
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/08/hands-on-chibi.html
    Yes, it's that time again: Time for Skip, the iconoclastic maker of bizarre games like Chibi-Robo and Giftpia to unleash its first Wii game onto the world. It's called Captain Rainbow, and it's got all the hallmarks of a good Skip game: a quirky, endearing story; bizarre characters; lackadaisical gameplay goals and (most critically) weird shit.

The weird shit this time around stems mostly from the fact that this is a game about a down-on-his-luck superhero who has been sent off to a mysterious island full of down-on-their-luck characters from old Nintendo games. Little Mac from Punch-Out, Birdo from Super Mario Bros. 2, the generic golfer from Golf and many more of Nintendo's most forgettable characters are all on this island with you, and all of you are looking to have your wishes granted.

Birdo: Amusingly, the old story from the U.S. version of the Mario 2 instruction book about how Birdo is a transvestite has now been retconned into canon. He's a cross-dressing dude now.

Since I'm still just puttering around in the introductory phases, I can't tell you much about how it plays -- it's slowly ramping up. It seems like most of what you'll need to do is solve puzzles by collecting items and talking to people, trying to solve their problems.

What I can say for sure is that it's a really nice-looking game. Skip's graphics designers have made really nice use of 2-D and cel-shaded elements, blending them all together with straight-up 3-D to create some really attractive and stylish cartoon environments. It's a pleasure just to explore the island -- with any luck, the gameplay will hold up.

a333v6.jpg

Birdo, coming out of the bathroom: "Wow, that was huge. That felt like giving birth."

Former mod from gaf with the game
    If I could describe the game, I would say it's a spiritual sequel to Chibi-robo. Only this time you're not constantly going back for recharges. It's like what if Animal Crossing had a point, only with weird ass characters even more awesome music and sound design and pretty cool graphics.

Oh. My. God.

I had to go fetch proof that Birdo was a woman from her/his house and uh, I go in the house, and I hear this buzzer noise, sounds like a cell phone. I look around the house, and then I check the bed.

What I pulled out only shows up as a question mark, but....

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh my goodness this sounds awesome.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    boobooboo.jpg

I cannot be the only one that finds this absolutely enchanting

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It bugs me to no end that Nintendo changed Birdo into a girl. Hell, the SMB 2 manual says "He thinks he's a girl." He's a transvestite, Nintendo. Embrace him!

Maybe Birdo is androgynous like Yoshi (or hey, Piccolo), and what they meant is that he thinks he's a girl, when he's really neither. Birdos do spit eggs, after all.

Anyway, Yoshi and Birdo make a cute couple, genders (or lack thereof) be damned.

As for the game... do want. C'mon, Nintendo... pull another Electroplankton or something if you must.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    One of the greatest gaming frustrations I have is that Nintendo decided not to give Giftpia a non Japanese release despite many previews seeing that the translation work had been done.

I'd cross my fingers and hope for this one to come to us but I'm scared I'll be dissapointed once more.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's easy enough to play funny buggers with the "Birdo's $&£("!" thing and have a cell phone or something in there along with the "Evidence"

Also, I can't tell if the promos are in Japanese or Lylat...

Conan-san on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That's it. Who wants to join me and form a game company that smokes a bunch of PCP, programs a game in a fever dream that is completely bizarre and nonsensical, and then only releases it in America?

Let's give Japan a taste of their own medicine.

Trevor on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The officer throws him in jail for using the ladies' room when he's clearly a man. Birdo asks you to go to his/her house and find "evidence that I'm a woman." So you do. This is how it happens. As you walk into Birdo's bedroom, you hear... a buzzing. The pillow on her bed is vibrating and buzzing. You walk up to it, and Captain Rainbow looks under the pillow to find... an item that's censored out on the screen. It's covered up with a question mark. "Proof that the owner is a woman," it says, leaving it at that.

:shock:

....yep, no way in hell that this is coming to the west.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The officer throws him in jail for using the ladies' room when he's clearly a man. Birdo asks you to go to his/her house and find "evidence that I'm a woman." So you do. This is how it happens. As you walk into Birdo's bedroom, you hear... a buzzing. The pillow on her bed is vibrating and buzzing. You walk up to it, and Captain Rainbow looks under the pillow to find... an item that's censored out on the screen. It's covered up with a question mark. "Proof that the owner is a woman," it says, leaving it at that.

I NEED THIS GAME. > :D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »

I NEED THIS GAME. > :D

Wow. I hope it comes to the west because it looks "teh kiddy" and the anti-game lobbyist nuts would have a fucking field day. It would be so much fun to watch go down.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Course, with a name like "Captain Rainbow", you'd have to be pretty thick to not think it's mature.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I refuse to believe birdogate until I see it with my own eyes

Tig on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The video makes it look like he has a rainbow glow cock. BOUGHT

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    The Celtic TigerThe Celtic Tiger Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    That's it. Who wants to join me and form a game company that smokes a bunch of PCP, programs a game in a fever dream that is completely bizarre and nonsensical, and then only releases it in America?

*puts hand up*

The Celtic Tiger on
  • Options
    NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like those cookie Japanese are at it again.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

This entire game has to be a big joke on the gaming community.

"Really? You really thought that we, NIN-Freaking-TENDO, would release a title in which it is implied that one of our characters is a cross dressing pseudo-dinosaur "thing" that keeps a woman's vibrator under it's pillow despite being positively identified as a man? Are you fucking kidding me? You fell for that shit? Wow... just, wow."

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    The Celtic TigerThe Celtic Tiger Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap. This game is just waaaaaay too insane. The ESRB would go berserk if this was even attempted to be published here.

The Celtic Tiger on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy crap. This game is just waaaaaay too insane. The ESRB would go berserk if this was even attempted to be published here.

The fact that it doesn't explicitly say that it's a vibrator probably would keep the rating pretty low, I would imagine. That and localization could easily make it something less risque.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The fact that it doesn't explicitly say that it's a vibrator probably would keep the rating pretty low, I would imagine. That and localization could easily make it something less risque.

Which, let's be honest, would totally suck.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trevor wrote: »

Let's do it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We will call it Barkley Shut Up and Jam!: Gaiden.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

They'd make it into a cell phone or something.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

They'd make it into a cell phone or something.
    How would that prove Birdo's a woman?

I'd probably have to go with a curling iron or something.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Birdo doesn't have hair!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shabooty wrote: »

Which, let's be honest, would totally suck.

It would, but this would be one time I'd swallow my pride and just accept it, knowing the truth full well and enjoying the hell out of the rest.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That all said, they could probablby get away with having it as a ? and the item being destribed as "This is proof that Birdo's a girl, let's just leave it at that".

Frankly put, they've got more of an issue with Pit constantly flashing her underpants than anything.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Frankly put, they've got more of an issue with Pit constantly flashing her underpants than anything.

...Pit is a boy.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Conan-san wrote: »

...Pit is a boy.
    Oh bugger me, I ment Lip.

Blasted obscure Nintendo games...

Conan-san on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh shit

What

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png