Options

[Scion DEMIGOD] Through the gates of Hades

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think I can do that, yeah. I'll see if I can get my sheet filled out tonight.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm good with both of those times. I can tweak my schedule to get off a bit earlier on Tuesdays.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    goddamnit i printed out a sheet and filled it out and now i can't find the goddamned thing

if i can't find it i'll draw up a new one and have it up monday night

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alrighty, then!

First session to be held on July 29th, at 7:00 PM, MST, OR Thursday July 31st at 9:00 MST

If possible, I'd like to run preludes for everyone this week. I've got some spare time on Monday and Wednesday, so if you guys could hop around, we can rock some backstory. IMO, characters with proper preludes are always stronger, and I'd like this to be character driven. Let me know when you can do something and I'll try to fit something in.

I'll be adding all this to the OP, of course, but some stuff that I really want you guys to take note of:

Please show up on time. We'll probably spend 15-20 minutes bantering before we really get going anyway, so showing up late will just push that back.

Please don't make hugelong actions/emotes/posts. The faster we go, the more fun everyone has.

Respect other players in the OOC thread. If you have a problem with their character's actions, call them on it IC. If you have any serious complaints, direct them to me and I'll forward them on. Let's be civil.

ALSO, for those of you who have the time, write up a one-paragraph summary of your character, and a quote. These will be going in the IC OP. If you can't do it, let me know and I'll do what I can after I've seen your character in action.

And for everyone else who is still interested, try and get something(a concept, a sheet, whatever) in to me before this Wednesday.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be there! My girlfriend's brother is visiting from tomorrow 'till Friday, though, so I'm not sure I'll be here THIs monday or Wednesday, but that really depends on whether he decides to drag me out to "get to know me better".

The prospect of which kind of scares me, but hey, he's like the only guy I've ever met who's dramatically physically larger than me in every respect. Thank God he';s not violent.

Anyway, I'll be around one way or other other, just maybe not too early until Saturday. That's Saturday the 26th, by the way, so I'll definitely be fine by game-time, and frankly I could've been here anyway if I had prior responsibility I could claim.

So I'll be around. And I'll write up wAlker's descript/quote the first time I've got an hour or so to myself./

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also I'm home from work today thanks to the intersection of my face and a vehicle, so feel free to ping me with questions.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rainfall, I hate you. Make games at sane hours =(

My mortician Anubis scion would have loved to tag along too =(

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey Rainy,

Tuesday would be better for me than Thursday probably, mostly because earlier is better than later for me.

If you want to do more detailed backstory talkin on wednesday let me know.

Jeez, I gotta download mIRC again, I haven't used that thing in years.

- Pete.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Hey Rainy,

Tuesday would be better for me than Thursday probably, mostly because earlier is better than later for me.

If you want to do more detailed backstory talkin on wednesday let me know.

Jeez, I gotta download mIRC again, I haven't used that thing in years.

- Pete.

Yeah, Tuesday would probably work better for me as well. Also, nobody does things on Tuesdays ever so we should not have conflicting schedules. Since I was out of work yesterday I might not be able to get wednesday off but if I'm there then yes, we can do backstory/prelude.

Cynic, once again, I'm sorry, but I hate my schedule just as much as you do.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Still need sheets from Infidel and Shoe.

And from anyone else that's interested in this glorious game of gods bitch-slapping monsters.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope to have things straightened out and maybe have a sheet/pregame done later this week?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would if I had any idea what those meet times were in GMT :(

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I would if I had any idea what those meet times were in GMT :(

Well, MST is GMT-7, but we're in daylight savings right now so it's actually GMT -6(god I hate daylight savings)

So the tuesday night meetings would be... 2 AM-ish wednesday for you, and thursday would be around 10 PM, but it looks like we're going for tuesday nights.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh yeah, I think I did check that actually. Its a shame.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Actually I switched around the two by mistake, so Tuesday would be like 10 PM and Thursday would be 2 AM on Friday, but that's probably still too late for you, unfortunately.

Kinda tragic, I'd like more players.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Damon Walker, Scion of Hermes, wandering troubleshooter and gamber-of-fate.

Walker, even before his Vistation, was a free spirit with a drive to "fix" the world's ills. It's a mystery to most of the people he'd helped how he always manages to show up "just in the nick of time". He has a knack for being in the right place, at the right time, and most of the people he's shown up for remember whatever it was he did for them as the turning point in their fortune, for good or ill. Whether it's been to foil some petty plot by human criminals or to provide an instant's fatal distraction for a fellow Scion to take advantage of to escape the clutches of a vile titanspawn, Walker always makes an entrance... even if nobody sees it.

Walker's got something of a flair for the dramatic, and is never at a loss for words. And anyone who spends any appreciable amount of time with him knows that when he gets that special grin, something is about to happen, and it's usually going to be either very good, or very, very bad. He's got a funny way of getting himself into all sorts of trouble, and then getting right back out, and he always remarks with a grin later that everything went just as planned... whether true or not. He's almost always laughing and energetic, even when locked into deadly combat.

As much as everything else, Walker is a teller of tall tales... some of which are actually even true. He rarely bothers moderating his stories for the humans around him... he knows that the ones who will believe will believe, and the ones who won't will just assume he's some sort of ren faire crazy or something. Walker typically tells his tallest tales while under the influence of amounts of alcohol that would knock most people of his build straight off their stool.

"Hey there, buddy. My name's Walker, and your life just got harder."

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, in case anyone is interested in running a prelude tonight I'll be home at around 7:30 PM MDT(GMT -6) hanging out in irc.slashnet.org #bombfell

Shoe and Infidel, I don't want to nag, but I wouldn't mind getting sheets. We may have to delay a week in order to get everything prepped.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kratalightblade's Prelude is done!

It went well. Hopefully I can get one or two done tomorrow. Shoe, found your sheet yet? Infidel, good luck with being busy, and I look forward to your sheet.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just making sure, are we waiting to start or are we a go for tonight?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think we're going Tuesday.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    I think we're going Tuesday.

...You know what, I'm insane and forgot it WASN'T Tuesday.

Question still stands though. Rainy said jhust above that we might delay a week, I was wondering if we would or not.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Either way, I'm going to see if I can get rain to do my prelude tonight.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    well Rain posted in my thread she won't be back til late, she's going to a concert.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dudes there is no way I'm going to be ready on Tuesday but please don't delay on my account.

If and when I get my stuff for this game together I can join you at that point.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not ready yet either, although I'm working on my sheet atm. I think it will be delayed the one week anyways.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Horse, Infidel, if there's anything I can do to help, feel free to ask.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have my sheet. Unfortunately I left it at home!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, the only dude who is properly ready right now is Krata, but that doesn't mean we can't show up tonight and get some ducks lined up/throw rocks at shit. Shoe, you're welcome to show up even though you mysteriously lost your sheet.

If you guys don't want to do an impromptu session without being properly ready, that's cool as well. I just want to make sure that we have something to do tonight, since we're scheduled.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If we're not gonna have a session tonight, I've got some stuff I need to take care of. So I'm lookin' forward at Thursday, then, I s'pose!

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I found my sheet!

But probably I need someone to hold my hand since it's likely I did a bunch of stuff wrong.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, we'll do thursday night, then. Later starting time, but it'll happen.

I guess I'll do Plut and Infy's preludes tonight! Woo!

(maybe we'll see, SC4 is damn attractive)

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rain, you didn't get eaten by monsters, did you?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    With help from Rainy and Pluto and Infidel I finally have a sheet going.

sheet!

I still have to pick a Dexterity Knack, would appreciate advice on that. Rainy, maybe you could custom up something similar to untouchable opponent but not so broken?

Silly backstory thing because I like writing them.
    Gravel crunched under the tires of a beat-up old datsun pickup truck as it parked on the shoulder of the PCH. A young man, his wetsuit half-on, climbed out and pulled a surfboard out of the back. He walked down the wooden steps that led from the highway above down a steep incline to the beach. A pale orange glow that filtered through the morning fog was the only hint of impending sunlight. The swell had come to the county line earlier than the reports had said... there were only a few more surfers out there on the water.

The young man pulled his wetsuit up over his body, pulling his tattoed arms through its sleeves. The tight suit clearly showed a body that had been achieved through many years of dedicated training. His movements were lithe and deliberate, as if every step were practiced. The face of the man, however, seemed quite the opposite: relaxed and carefree, as if his life had been one of only leisure. He took a deep breath, feeling the salt air around him, listening to the crashing surf, anticipating that cold first step into the water.

"Out early, Ujio?"

He turned to see a short, bearded, portly man casting a fishing rod into the churning waters. He smiled and hummed to himself, delighted that he had managed surprise the young man. He was dressed in a pair of simple waterproof hip waders and a ratty sweatshirt. His darkened skin seemed to speak of a lifetime at sea.

"You're a little far from home, Ebisu."

"I like this California of yours. No wonder so many came over here. Good weather, pretty girls... and the water's not bad when the lagoons are keeping back all that awful stuff. Though I suppose you need to have cities to have the pretty girls. Blue jeans are so cheap! I like this word "dude" as well. It means everything! But, while I may understand such things, your father really doesn't like all this dawdling..."

"Dude, don't you guys ever quit?"

"Ha, there it is!. And no. Who else is going to remind you how stupid you are? For example, you left the Kusunagi at home again."

"It talks too much. I spend enough time training, I deserve to have some fun. A little bird told me the swell was coming in early."

"Did he now?"

The two shared a knowing glance for a moment. Even when Ujio thought he was going to have a minute to himself, it seemed as though his 'extended family' was only there waiting for him.

"So what are you really doing here?"

"I told you. Someone's got to keep an eye on you, Ujio. You're too trusting, too naive. You don't know what's out there. There's things that Bujutsu simply doesn't prepare you for. Things that not even the old stories will prepare you for. Your body's ready for a fight... but your head is still full of mush."

"I went to UCLA, you know."

"And you majored in..."

"Asian Studies."

"Bah! What a waste. I could've taught you that! I'll bet it was nothing but lies!"

"I'll be fine, Ebisu. See you later."

"Yes, later... dude! Hahaha!"

Ujio walked into the surf, laid himself out on his bright yellow board, and began paddling away from the beach. His head started to clear as he felt the waters beneath him... and suddenly nothing else mattered. No spirits nagging him about how he needed to be training more, or why did he come back home from Japan, or how he needed to be more serious. It was a good feeling.

Ebisu, known to some as Kotoshiro-nushi-no-kami, smiled as he watched Ujio paddle out into the waves. Hachiman's son was a good kid... but a bit too... well, American. The damn kid thought he knew everything, but didn't know anything at all! Someday he would. Someday, he wouldn't have a choice but to know.

A great wave crashed onto the shore, and where once the fisherman stood, a jellyfish floated in the shallows, and lazily made its way back out to sea.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Rain, you didn't get eaten by monsters, did you?

My internet did, according to the dudes at Telus. Sorry 'bout that, guys.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There's a Knack in Demigod that has Untouchable Opponent as a pre-req, called Whirlwind Shield. If Rainfall lets you take it without a prereq seeing as she's disallowed the pre-req, it'd let you blow one Legend point for a scene, and allow you to apply your full Parry DV to thrown items, bows, and crossbows without a stunt, and can even use a stunt to parry bullets (so long as you're using something sturdy enough, like say your sword andnot your bare hands), which nobody else can do even WITH a stunt.

That might work for you.

EDIT: Additionally, am I missing something, ora re you short one Epic dot?

You've got Epic Strength 1, Epic Dex 2, Epic Stamina 2, Epic Wits 2, and a 2 dot boon. Where's your tenth dot?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    In level 1 of Tsukimo-Gami.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Right, I forgot that the Pantheon-Specifics have to be taken in order. Nevermind on that then.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks everyone for your input. Last night Pluto asked me "so what's your guy doing when he's not killing shit" and that's why I thought about it some more and started writing snippets for the hell of it. And when I think about what the dude is up to on a day-to-day basis he seems like a slightly different guy.

So probably I'll tweak his character sheet to fit the character popping into my head a little better and come up with an updated version this evening. I still need another Dex knack though. Any ideas, Rainfall?

Anyway, another silly backstory thing, partially inspired by Pluto:
    Cars rushed down Silverlake Boulevard, their windshield wipers furiously working to clear the drops of a summer thundershower. A man in a long raincoat and wide-brimmed fedora ambled down the sidewalk, his face shadowed from the yellowish glow of the streetlights.

He stopped at a small storefront between a flower shop and a used bookstore. Through the glass exterior he could see a simple dojo, its walls decorated with a few portraits and wooden training weapons. Inside he saw a young man kneeling, wiping down the blue mat that covered most of its floor. He was clad only in a white gi secured by a black belt. A carefully folded black hakama sat at the corner of the mat.

The man shook the raindrops from his coat, looking up at the sign. Kobayashi Shinto Ryu - John Minamoto, Head Instructor. He opened the door and walked inside, a few jangling bells announcing his entrance.

"Class is over for tonight," the young man said, without looking up. "And if you're looking for the Kobayashi Aikido school, that's over in Eagle Rock. I can give you directions."

"No, I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place," said a deep voice with a thick Japanese accent, "John, is it?"

"<That's me.>"

"<Oh, so you do speak Japanese.>"

"<I'm still an American. I don't promote my business by making a big deal out of my ancestry.>"

"<But you've studied in Japan.>"

"<Yes.>"

"<You should go back. Your father would like that.>"

The young man stopped. He looked up at his guest, and was not completely suprised to see a red, long-nosed face poking out from beneath his fedora.

"Oh, goddamnit."

"<So why 'John'? What's wrong with your name?>"

"I've used it since I was a kid. It's easier."

"<Your mother calls you Ujio. And they call you Ujio in Japan, don't they?>"

"Of course they do."

"<So what are you afraid of? Are they going to make fun of you at the playground now? Hm? Afraid some third-graders are going to call you Yu-Gi-Oh and accuse you of making peepee in their Coke?>"

"<Is there a point to this little visit, or are you just being a typical Tengu?>"

"<That hurts me, Ujio. It really does.>"

"What's his problem, anyway? There's Kami starting to show up all over the states now, thanks to him... what's so important about Japan?"

"<Training. You're still not ready.>"

"For what?"

"<When you're ready, you'll know.>"

"There are plenty of teachers right here in the U.S."

"<I'm not talking about Budo.>"

"Then what are you talking about?"

"<When you are ready, you'll know what I'm talking about.>"

Ujio shook his head and went back to wiping down the mat.

"My mom's not well, okay? Not that he cares, but that's why I'm here. When she's better I'll go back to Japan to train with Kobayashi Sensei again."

"<Very well.>", said the tengu. He opened the door and paused for a moment. "<I have enjoyed our conversation, Ujio.>"

"Whatever, man. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Not to interfere with your vision for your character, but why anglicize Ujio as John, when you could call him Eugene? In my opinion, it would sound much closer, unless you're going for something specific.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I know a guy named Chan-Fai who goes by Anthony.

It doesn't have much to do with the name.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg