Options

[Scion DEMIGOD] Through the gates of Hades

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    An exploded computer, so no luck there.

What's with your IRC games and exploding peoples computers? The awesome too much to handle?

Probably. We ARE a pretty kickass game.

So! Session is going to be at 7 PM MST, starting SHARP. Be there or be a rectangular thing. Anyone who doesn't show up will probably end up dead when the nuke goes off.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    rob48481rob48481 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    if there are nukes shouldnt we not show up and let the people that do blow themselves up?

rob48481 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Name: Joe Rollins
    Player: Rob48481@hotmail.com

Calling: Mechanic
    Nature: Architecht

Pantheon: dodekathoen
    God: Hephaestus

Attributes:
    Strength: 3
    Dexterity: 3/1 epic
    Stamina: 3/1 epic

Charisma: 2
    Manipulation: 2
    Appearance: 3/1 epic (ugly)

Perception: 4/2 epic
    Intelligence: 4/2 epic
    Wits: 4/1 epic

Abilities:
    Academics:2
    Animal Ken: 0
    *Art: 2 engraving
    Athletics: 2
    Awareness: 2
    Brawl: 1
    Command: 0
    *Control: 2(trucks)
    *Craft: 3(mechanic)
    *Craft:4 (smithing)
    *Craft:3(gunsmithing)
    Empathy: 0
    Fortitude: 2
    Integrity: 1
    *Investigation:2
    Larceny: 1
    Marksmanship: 3
    Medicine: 0
    *Melee:1
    Occult: 0
    Politics: 0
    Presence: 0
    *Science: 1
    Stealth: 0
    Survival: 1
    Thrown: 0

Birthrights:
    3:Hammer of Hephaestus (+1 acc +5L speed 4 1point unique)
    pair of leather gloves right hand accesses fire left earth.

Knacks:
    trick shot
    damage conversion
    dreadful mein
    fast learner
    star pupil
    telescopic senses

Boons:
    Fire Immunity
    safty interred

Legend: 3
    Legend Points: 9

Virtues:
    expression:3
    intellect:3
    valor:2
    vengence:1

willpower :6

Relics:
    Hammer of hephaestus-a large handgun crafted by his father and gifted to him during his visitation. unique ability to lay those it damages on thier ass.
    pair of leather gloves-one giving access to fire and the other earth.

rob48481 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    games tonight correct?

rob48481 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I got the email from one of my teachers today:
    teacher wrote:
    I have to start dropping people who aren't "appearing" in the class -- tomorrow -- so I was wondering if you had an assignment ready to send?

So uh I am going to spend the night writing papers and not getting dropped from my class

I might not you know make the game tonight on this account

I guess I won't blame Rainfall for exploding me after missing two sessions in a row D:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got Phalla all over myself. D:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pff get Blarney to do it. He lives for tedious number crunching.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    I got Phalla all over myself. D:

If that means you aren't coming, I might be angry.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    YOU WOULDN'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY?

(yes, that's what it means)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alriiiight! Good job, everyone!

Now we enter the between-Story phase, called Bluebooking by weird people that smell bad! I just call it downtime.

So, feel free to write up a short story or whatever for what your character is doing, or just write a list of all the things you're taking care of. Remember that there's no training time, so you don't need to spend Downtime worrying about that, but little things like your personal life are good to pay attention to!

And for all of you suckers who decided to stay behind tonight, you could be lots cooler.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    so what did i miss D:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Us killing a Frost Giant and heading off to San Fran to face off with a mastermind.

This session was essentially the end of the this arc. So now we're off to fight a fruitcake with a mask.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome story. Unfortunately, I just found out that I need some fagboots (rainfall's word for the leather boots with the little wings). I trust the gods will provide.

I swear that i don't try to be a combat twink. I'm not good enough for that. I just roll well and get the stunt dice. By my count I've killed at least two dudes without my sword of overpoweredness. Also, apparently Arete is really good.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    was alot of fun, thanks for having me.

rob48481 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    rob48481 wrote: »
    was alot of fun, thanks for having me.

Thanks for showing up! I look forward to seeing you again next week!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So! Let's discuss DVs, or Defense Values, as they're known.

Your Dodge Defense Value, or DDV, is the sum total of your Legend, Athletics, and Dexterity, divided by two.
    (Ath+Dex+Leg)/2
    Your Parry Defense Value, or PDV, is the sum total of your Melee/Brawl, Dexterity, and Weapon Defense Value(WDV,) divided by two.
    (Melee+Dex+WDV)/2
    And, since both pools use Dexterity, Epic Dexterity bonus successes get added straight on top of either DV.
    Now, let's illustrate a small problem, just using Hero-level, with the most practical PDV weapon around, a Khopesh with +5 to Defense, for a total of +7 to the calculation... and a non-maxed PDV Skeggox, with a mod of 0.
    Legend 1: DDV 6/PDV 8/PDV 5
    Legend 2: DDV 7/PDV 9/PDV 6
    Legend 3: DDV 9/PDV 10/PDV 7
    Legend 4: DDV 11/PDV 12/PDV 9

Now, let's take this allll the way up to Legend 12.

Legend 12: DDV 60/PDV 57/PDV 54
    Whoop! There's a gap of 6 between a standard PDV and a DDV. Not too bad, you might say.

But let's take a gander at attacks.

At Legend 12(or even Legend 10) the base attack pool maxes out at 15 dice, + weapon accuracy. The most accuracy you can get on a weapon is, oddly enough, the Bo, with an accuracy of 2. A Relic 5 Bo with maxed Accuracy will come out to an attack pool of 22.

At Legend 12, you get 46 bonus successes from Epic Dexterity, meaning that to hit an opponent using their maxed DDV, you need to get 14 successes on 22 dice. A maxed PDV gives you 11 successes required, which is the average on the die pool.

When facing equally-talented foes, the person using their average Parry Defense Value is going to be hit around 70% of the time, a maxed PDV will give you a 50% evasion rate, and DDV will give you approximately a 75% chance of evasion. Factoring in standard combat penalties does mitigate this factor, though. The to-hit chance isn't that low.

So, you've learned that some defenses are more powerful than others. The problem is that dodging is a more effective defense than blocking. That seems... weird.

So let's try an experiment. Weapon Defense adds directly to DV, as opposed to getting halved.

What do we get with our Khopesh and our Skeggox?
    Legend 1 PDV 12/PDV 5
    Legend 2 PDV 13/PDV 6
    Legend 3 PDV 13/PDV 7
    Legend 4 PDV 15/PDV 9
    Right, that's atrocious!
    If we add Legend into the equation, but keep everything else RAW, we get this!
    Legend 12: DDV 60/PDV 63/PDV 60
    That helps PDVs quite a bit! But going back to the attack equation, we now require 17 successes on 22 dice to hit the cap! Absurd!

So fiddling with PDVs doesn't seem to help the big picture that much. Let's try a different approach, and remove Legend from DDV calculations!
    Legend 12: DDV 54/PDV 57/PDV 54

This looks reasonable, right here. But zipping back down to Hero....

Legend 1: DDV 5/PDV 8
    Legend 2: DDV 6/PDV 9
    Legend 3: DDV 7/PDV 10
    Legend 4: DDV 9/PDV 12
    That gap of 3 successes stays right there. A Legend 1 maxed attack pool is 17 dice, which needs to hit 8 successes, slightly above average(which is right for mortals, it's easier to hit than dodge most of the time) and that goes up to 22 at God, putting it square on the average to hit those 11 successes.

The downside, of course, is that you end up being able to hit the DDV/non-max PDV people a good 70% of the time.

Of course, this is all using min/max and optimized builds, which nobody in the game is really doing at the moment. It's worth noting, though!

Soak is another issue, once again showing that in Scion defense tends to trump offense, and I'd like to fix this early in the game, I'll probably make that post a while from now. But let's discuss DVs. What's your opinion on them?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure, I just write the emotes and then you tell me how many more dice I get and then I roll them.

Anyways, what do you recommend for "fixing" PDV? Adding legend seems to work fairly well.

Also, I personally don't see too much of a problem with the chances to hit at higher levels - 17 sucesses on 22 dice doesn't seem unreasonable when you're a god trying to hit another god - at that point, any attack is pretty much an epic deed. The extra dice from stunting and channeling legend or virtue should bring the difficulty down quite a bit - Channeling Legend on a 2-die stunt makes the attack require 5 successes on 24 dice for a bare hit.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You make a good point there. Okay, so from now on, I'm still undecided whee.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So I got goaded into covering a shift for a dude on Tuesday night

At best I will be late

I think I should just drop out at this point, Tuesday is proving to not be as free a day for me as my schedule originally suggested :|

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awww. Mean Nurse, we shall miss you.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It was totally sweet while it lasted <3

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention at the end of the last session...

If you guys give me downtime stories, I give XP. Feel free to collaborate on this.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ooh downtime stories! I'd love to work on that. I'll be on AIM and PA all night, send me a message if you want to write anything together.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Joe wil stay in contact, offering smithing and mechanic services to the other scions.

rob48481 on
  • Options
    m00n0rchidm00n0rchid Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I submitted my sheet -finally-. I was waiting on my class schedule so as to know whether or not I'd be able to be on during the hours you play, or if I'd be playing... alone. :(

m00n0rchid on
    Love me cancerously. Like a salt-sore soaked in the sea. High maintenance means you're a gluttonous queen, narcisistic and mean. Kill me romantically, fill my soul with vomit, then ask me for a piece of gum. Bitter and dumb, you're my sugar plum! You're awful! I love you!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Short story time - In which a thirty-second event gets stretched into quite a few paragraphs of exposition.
    Special thanks to Cynic Jester, whose character has a silent, though supporting role.

Rainfall says that my character is kind of a dick. I propose that on the sliding scale of assholery, he pales in comparison to quite a few deities out there, including his father, who is the Original Dick.
    Simon hated airports.

In fact, he had never liked flying. Apart from the mundane worries of the plane falling
    out of the sky, or the possibility of fanatical religious terrorists, he always had the
    nagging feeling that, this time, pops was going to follow through on his threats
    and take the opportunity to rectify the mistake he had made a quarter of a century ago -
    something involving too much ambrosia and not enough birth control.

"You know," the Big Z had said on more than one occasion - "I still keep in touch with the
    dude who invented the condom. Egyptian fellow, has this swinging pad on the banks of the
    Styx. Throws these super-exclusive parties. You wouldn't be able to get in."

The sky, and pretty much anything in it - airplanes not excluded - were his domain. Every once
    in a while, Simon was pretty sure that he knocks a bird out of the sky just for shits and
    giggles. Zeus had once mentioned something about "taking out that ingrate great-grandson of
    mine" about ten years back. He was probably talking about John Kennedy Jr. In fact,
    that entire scion dynasty seemed to suffer from serious relationship issues with their
    divine lineage.

Meanwhile, they had seemed to finally reach the front of the line. It seemed Simon was not
    alone in staring blankly at Ann's ass while musing to himself, because a few of the
    security guards took the opportunity to run a "completely random" security screening on her
    when the metal detector failed to reveal anything out of the ordinary. Thankfully,
    obsidian doesn't set off the scanner.

Unfortunately, ancient relic swords, black steel shurikens, and a still-beating heart the
    size of a soccer ball, all stuffed in the same duffel bag, would most definitely arouse
    suspicion.

Simon's carry-on, the bag emblazoned with 'I <3 New York' and topped by his expensive
    new shoes rolled down the conveyor belt towards the rubber flaps that lead to the interior
    of the scanner, as Simon followed Ann through the metal detector, thankfully without any
    ominous buzz echoing forth. The computer monitor on the other side of the X-ray machine was
    manned by a slightly overweight resident of Brooklyn, normally boringly attentive, though now
    clearly distracted. His eyes darted back and forth between the false-color screen and off
    to the side, where two of his colleagues were spending a little too much time running the
    security wand up and down the Scion of Anubis.

"She's a fox, that one," Simon casually mentioned to the New Yorker scanning the bags,
    grabbing his attention just his duffel scrolled into view on the screen.

If the guard had been had been doing his job, he would have seen the Harpe displayed under the
    X-rays in a radiant, pure white - while the throwing stars and the pulsating giant's heart would be shown as
    dark, dead pixels, each object illuminating the surrounding clothing and toiletries in a black and white gradient, a colorless rainbow that shifted back and forth. Under the radiation, the contents of the bag were locked in a battle with an ever-shifting front line.

"Three hundred bucks and she's yours for the night." The manipulative Scion whispered, ensuring
    that the x-ray reader's eyes remained firmly transfixed where they were, his jaw dropping as the
    duffel bag finally rolled off of the monitor.

"Just kidding," Simon chuckled to the guard, as he strolled to the end of the machine and picked
    up his carry-on, slipping his loafers back on his feet.

Simon loved airports.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Moon, your sheet looks pretty good. A little combat-heavy, but there's nothing wrong with that. Welcome to the gang!

I addressed Legendary Deeds in the Houserule post back up near the front. Just make a note that Legendary stuff is Legendary.

And speaking of Legendary stuff, keep in mind that your Relics are the tools of the Gods themselves. Treat them accordingly, and remember that if you've got a powerful Relic there's probably someone out there who knows about it and wants it for themselves.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, for my players, a suggestion/request.

Do up a Combat Block on your sheet. This should contain the following information.

Health Levels(remember Epic Stamina modifiers to the wound penalties!)
    Willpower
    Legend Points

Join Battle total
    Dodge Defense Value

Weapon stats(total attack roll, total damage before threshold successes, speed rating, Range(if applicable) Tags, and Parry Defense Value(if applicable)

I'm slowly getting around to adding the combat blocks to my copies of your sheets, but it'll save you time in combat if you know what your base rolls are and don't have to look them up and do the math every time.

EDIT:

For those of you who have spent XP
    Send me new copies of your sheets with a full list of XP expenditures since the start of the game, since we ended a Story.

And a little rules note, that I'm going to be paying full attention to in this upcoming Story...
    Epic Attributes do not apply if you have no dots in the Ability being rolled.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Short story time.

Special thanks to Plutonium, whose character has a silent, though supporting role.
    Ann loves airports.

All the people coming, going, working, it all just felt right for Ann.
    She never knew why until recently, though it is probably due to
    her fathers line of work. Much the same in some ways, with people
    coming and people going. After having to convince her boss to let
    Ann take some extended time off from work, Ann was at least
    happy things seemed to be going the right way for once. Not a
    single vomit-ninja or fake SWAT all day, which in Anns recently
    revised book could only be a good thing.

Ann was used to waiting. Went with the territory as a forensic
    technician, and queues didn't grate on her the same way it did
    other people. What did annoy her was all the staring. The last
    few years, it had only gotten worse. She had actually been
    invited to join the Miss America contest at one point, but had
    figured it was some sort of hidden camera spoof. These days
    though, she wasn't so sure. As her awareness of her
    surroundings increased, she came to realize that a lot of
    people stared at her. At first she believed it to be because
    she was dressing weird, but lately, even that excuse was
    wearing thin.

Sighing, Ann cleared her mind and resigned herself to more
    waiting. She could still feel the stares behind her, but decided
    to ignore them. Ann figured they were just bored, even though
    Simon had been staring at in the same direction for awfully long.
    Leaning back, Ann whispered a short question. "Do I have a
    stain or something?" Simon simply shook his head. Ann gave
    him a curious look, but turned back towards the security
    checkpoint. Almost her turn. Grabbing one of the zip-lock bags,
    Ann emptied her purse into it and zipped it shut. Easier that way.
    Taking off her jacket, she put it into one of those boxes, along
    with the rest of her stuff and walked through the metal detector.

"Sorry Miss, but you'll have to accompany us." The security guard
    quickly grabbed her stuff from the conveyor belt and guided her
    into a small, secluded room. "I'm sorry, but we'll have to strip
    search you. Procedures you know." Ann simply gave him a
    withering look and rose to her full height, slight as it might be.
    "I know my rights. Get a female security agent in here if you need
    that." The man seemed to visibly deflate, though seconds later a
    loud female voice came through the door. "Johnson. Should have
    known." A woman in the security clothes walked through the door,
    shoving Johnson out of the way. "Sorry Miss, these guys tend to
    think with their other brain if you catch my drift. Just grab your
    things and get to your flight, I'll teach this guy a lesson."

Smiling at the woman, Ann nodded and gathered up her things,
    glaring at the guard as she stepped out the door, looking for
    Simon. "Assholes. Did you get everything through okay?" Simon
    simply nodded again. Casting a withering glance back at the door
    she'd just gone through, Ann turned away and looked up at the
    transit board. "San Fran. San Fran. Oh, there it is. Let's get moving."

She didn't dread heading there, but all the events yesterday
    still weighed heavily on her mind. That masked guy was at the
    forefront of her thoughts. "Who the hell is he?" Ann thought as
    she trudged toward the gate, Simon in tow.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    m00n0rchidm00n0rchid Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yuomi.jpg

m00n0rchid on
    Love me cancerously. Like a salt-sore soaked in the sea. High maintenance means you're a gluttonous queen, narcisistic and mean. Kill me romantically, fill my soul with vomit, then ask me for a piece of gum. Bitter and dumb, you're my sugar plum! You're awful! I love you!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    wont be able to make it....wont get off work till 8 mst. the wife will still play though

rob48481 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alright, feel free to drop in when you get back, though!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So AIM has finally pissed me off enough that I'm not going to be using it ever again.

Use something cool to talk, like GTalk. tempestwing AT gmail DOt com if you need to communicate with me.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nevermind, last minute schedule change. I'll be in game tonight along with wifey.

rob48481 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Good game tonight, guys! Should I start posting logs, or should I compress each Story into a discrete post?

Ooh, better yet, let someone narrate each Story for the benefit of the bystanders. That would be an interesting idea. Hm.

EDIT: For future reference, mostly for stylistic reasons, PDV will be calculated as (Dex+Melee+Weapon Defense+Legend)/2. Anyone abusing this will be punished.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Awesome, PDV is actually useful now. I'll tell you what happened sometime Cynic, it involved me failing and as a result saving everyone's asses.

Also for that pdv calculation, melee is interchangeable with brawl.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a friend thats interested in joining, hes a rl friend thats a long time gamer and st, even if he does smell bad.

rob48481 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, it looks like Infidel has dropped out, so we might have room. I'm not sure if I want to take any new additions at this point or not, though. Tell him to fling a concept my way and I'll see.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Posting to say that I hope to see you all tonight.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, too many assignments and papers and readings to take care of for the next foreseeable future. :(

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png