As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Working on a new web comic

After Life ComicsAfter Life Comics Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Artist's Corner
A friend of mine (professional writer) and myself have in the past two months started a new web comic. Its a post apocalyptic comedy with focus on two main characters with interchanging other characters through each arc. We in the beginning to develop characters and setting are laying off pop culture refrences but it is our hope soon to interweave some current event comedy without taking the reader out of the era. Anyways if you'd like to read more back story i'm sure you can figure it out yourself. Mostly I come looking for advice on advertising and getting your stuff out there. We never expected to get big over night but we do want to put the effort out there to get new readers and would love any advice on the topic. Also it is our first experience with actually putting together a comic(illustrations and writing) so any advice to make better would be greatly appreciated whether its about the comic, website or anything we can change to increase quality. As ive taking it i shouldnt redirect people to the site so if you want to find it im sure youll be able to but below I will post a sample of the comic. Thanks for any advice!

2008-07-08-not-fine-for-long.png

-Nick

After Life Comics on

• Options
    The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dislike the flat art, lack of light sources/shadows and of line weight. Perspective is a bit off as well and could be address a bit better along with the drawn out joke and punch line that falls short. My point of view on the comic is all, I’m not an expert.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haven't you already posted this before?

Anyway the drawings are flat, you need to start seeing your charachters as 3 dimensional objects and not just lines on a page.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Haven't you already posted this before?

He did, but improperly, and the thread was locked. This is him doing it the right way and not site whoring either.

yerf.jpg
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is that the same gas mask just flipped?

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you feel the need to legitimize yourself by mentioning that your associate is a professional writer?

Was it the student short film he wrote last semester? Or was it the student magazine he worked at last fall semester? I wonder what he's had published? What makes him a professional.

Neither of the comics nor the website really say "professional" to me.

As for the drawing, in one of Eisner's books, he said something along the lines of "if you're going to caricaturize something, understand how it works first" and along with that was a very simple, yet easily recognizable, very effective drawing of a door hinge. You should GIS some gas masks, choose a particular model and draw from it. the same goes for the rabbit, (don't use the circle tool for anything, especially anything organic) and for the dudes and for the desert and for the... buildings(?).

clyde.png

kevin.png

Also, you should try to find your own caricuture style... i see very poor attempts at copying penny arcade facial expressions.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Do you feel the need to legitimize yourself by mentioning that your associate is a professional writer?

Was it the student short film he wrote last semester? Or was it the student magazine he worked at last fall semester? I wonder what he's had published? What makes him a professional.

http://www.brandonleetenney.com/

Grifter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So it's a post-apocalyptic comic?

Well, you only really have one comic that you're going to get compared to.

Unfortunately, that comic is Gone With The Blastwave.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Grifter wrote: »

http://www.brandonleetenney.com/

Yeah, that's where I pulled his resume from.

Watch out, it's a PDF though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So it's a post-apocalyptic comic?

Well, you only really have one comic that you're going to get compared to.

Unfortunately, that comic is Gone With The Blastwave.

I'm amused by the fact that the comic's domain is currently expired. It's a very dreary landscape.

:(

MKR on
  • Options
    Erik the HackErik the Hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, we all have to start somewhere. :) I'd characterize both the writing and art as below average. You both need to develop your skills, so study the work of writers and artists you admire and practice, practice, practice. If you're serious about wanting to become skilled web comic creators, you'll need to put in a lot of time. Good luck!

Erik the Hack on
    sig1.gifsig2.gif
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Erik! Holy crap! Where the hell have you been?

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nick Paparodis: an artist born and currently residing in Florida. Usually found to be drawing on napkins and table cloths while out to dinner with anything from a crayon to a candle wick, Nick is an avid student of his craft and a one-man artistic force: providing sketches, inking, coloring, and lettering.

Dude, you really have to tone this shit down. Calling yourself a one-man artistic force when your still picking up the basics is going to have you spayed by the general public.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nick Paparodis: an artist born and currently residing in Florida. Usually found to be drawing on napkins and table cloths while out to dinner with anything from a crayon to a candle wick, Nick is an avid student of his craft and a one-man artistic force: providing sketches, inking, coloring, and lettering.

Dude, you really have to tone this shit down. Calling yourself a one-man artistic force when your still picking up the basics is going to have you spayed by the general public.

A force need not be strong. A toothpick thrown against a tank is still a force.

The OP is a palm tree - strong in some areas (line work, maybe coloring), but fragile anywhere outside of ideal conditions.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »

A force need not be strong. A toothpick thrown against a tank is still a force.

The OP is a palm tree - strong in some areas (line work, maybe coloring), but fragile anywhere outside of ideal conditions.

mrmiyagi-chop.jpg

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If stop tank with chopstick, can do anything.

MKR on
  • Options
    Erik the HackErik the Hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, man! Been away from the comic scene for a while, but now I'm back taking another shot at syndication. Wish me luck!

Erik the Hack on
    sig1.gifsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I must disagree, his lines are the same thickness absolute everywhere in the image. I may be so bold as to guess that it might be vector based with the same stroke applied to everything. And his coloring is local and arbitrary.

"... shirt? red. which red? any red. this red. -->paint bucket -->fill. done...

...God Damn! I am a one-man artistic force, indeed."

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking cleanliness of the lines and color choice. The lines don't make my eyes sting, and neither do the colors. You're right, though. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey, man! Been away from the comic scene for a while, but now I'm back taking another shot at syndication. Wish me luck!
    csgjf080708.gif

I like it. Good use of Black and White, it has a newsprint-published look to it that I dig, and mono is always funny.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It feels like "the bunny" is supposed to be a recurring joke or something, but that being your second (third?) strip, that is an impossibility.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *in the voice of Marbo"
    "GAS MASKS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!"

Do you think you breath in radiation or something? Honestly, why are they wearing JUST gas masks?
    Guys dont wear giant rubberized MOPP suits for shits and giggles.
    NBCprotectiveSuit.jpg

So congratulations, these guys already have radiation poisoning. In a couple hours all their hair will fall out, and they will puke thier organs out until they die in sweaty dementia.
    Dont base your entire comic around something you obviously have no understanding in.

...also the rabbit has no scale comparison. For all I know, its jsut a regular sized rabbit. woop de doo.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    McGibs wrote: »
    *in the voice of Marbo"

Do you think you breath in radiation or something? Honestly, why are they wearing JUST gas masks?
    So congratulations, these guys already have radiation poisoning. In a couple hours all their hair will fall out, and they will puke thier organs out until they die in sweaty dementia.
    Dont base your entire comic around something you obviously have no understanding in.

...also the rabbit has no scale comparison. For all I know, its jsut a regular sized rabbit. woop de doo.

I thought it was a regular sized rabbit. I just assumed the punchline was going to be the first panel of the next comic or something.

Also, don't question the validity of the gas masks, that's from a professional writer. He moved to Los Angelos after getting his bachelor's in only three years! He hopes to write for movies one day. I'm sure he's done his research.
    Man, I'm kind of an asshole.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah, but sarcasm is hillarious.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The rabbit you can see in the background of the first two panels if you look really closely.

yerf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the people who gave constructive comments. Excuse me if I offended anyone by calling a college graduate writer a professional... i just figured if you have a degree in something that in certain situations qualifies you as a professional. In some of your eyes you may disagree so sorry, thats your problem. As for the rest of you questioning or reguarding my art. Yes, the comic is done with vectors... I sketch on paper... scan... then vector trace. I cannot afford a Wacom right now to have the depth I'd like. And also in no way have I ever claimed to be a perfect artist... far from it... im just doing this for fun and to actually do something unlike some of you who sit here and slam people and dont have an ounce of drawing talent or have any art of your own. Those of you who do Im sure are the mature ones who actually make constructive criticism. Anyways yes by posting here I knew I was opening a pandoras box and thats cool. Its the 2nd episode... compare it to any other comic out theres first episode... we have a way to go, that is why I ask for advice. But thats all I have to say, continue posting as you wish good or bad really doesnt matter. Just understand I never meant by posting this that I claimed to have a comic that would surpass the likes of penny-arcade or whatever... so maybe next time put your judgement in perspective.

After Life Comics on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A professional is usually someone who gets paid to do something. Having a college degree doesn't really figure into it.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What are you basing the judgment on that he hasn't been payed to write?

After Life Comics on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What are you basing the judgment that I think he hasn't been paid to write?

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I cannot afford a Wacom right now to have the depth I'd like.

This doesn't make any sense. A wacom isn't the reason your comic doesn't have depth. Your lack of depth in your drawings has everything to do with your technique and nothing to do with your equipment.

As I said you're looking at and drawing your objects in two dimensions (which = flat), you need to start seeing them 3 dimensionally.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Brandon Lee TenneyBrandon Lee Tenney Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    McGibs wrote: »
    *in the voice of Marbo"

I thought it was a regular sized rabbit. I just assumed the punchline was going to be the first panel of the next comic or something.

Also, don't question the validity of the gas masks, that's from a professional writer. He moved to Los Angelos after getting his bachelor's in only three years! He hopes to write for movies one day. I'm sure he's done his research.

hrm... where is Los Angelos? and I'd say you're not quite an asshole... probably just sad, depressed, possibly lonely, but most of all you feel a sense of unaccountability here, where this power you have to reign over whatever you like with your divine opinions and rain down your judgments using oh so clever italicized[\I] text has you drunk, far from lucid. I, by my own admission, am not a professional writer, but your attempt to lampoon my completed degree in the less-than-average time and my goals for a career and my choice of relocation in which to accomplish those goals is, frankly, just advertisement of my accomplishments.

and really, everyone? the gas masks? it is a cartoon, you know. it is not an actuality or realist depiction of life. but, I'm sure you also chastise Hugh Harman for his lack of reality in his works, or Pixar for their unyielding inability to properly depict life. oh, and believe me, I am in no way attempting to compare myself to either, so you need not play that card. but, those gas masks do just seem like a silly little thing to get caught up on.

I would like to thank The LittleMan in the Boat for being at least quasi-respectful and, most of all, for being constructive with his criticisms. So, thank you.

Man, I'm actually good at argumentation.

Brandon Lee Tenney on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Lose the attitude.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

This doesn't make any sense. A wacom isn't the reason your comic doesn't have depth. Your lack of depth in your drawings has everything to do with your technique and nothing to do with your equipment.

As I said you're looking at and drawing your objects in two dimensions (which = flat), you need to start seeing them 3 dimensionally.

This is an important post, so read it again.
    People who produce super-rad good-looking comics aren't able to do it because of a wacom. They're able to do it because they can draw well. You don't need to be able to afford a wacom to draw well. Just practice.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Again... I have never once said I am the end all be all artist or even a clipping of his(or her) finger nail. The two comics on my site... are the first... yes FIRST as in the only time ever that I've actually attempted doing web comics. So... pardon me if I'm not perfect after 2 attempts but you know what... I dont take any heat from you annoying as comment because you probably dont have the talent to draw a stick figure better than a 2 year old. So please... read a little more next time you visit the site because you will understand that since this is started Ive done nothing to improve my skills and I hope you continue to pay attention to that advancement because then you'll figure out that artistic skills are not given... they are worked on and earned.

After Life Comics on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, I think the point of it was to instill some humility. Your approach was quite pompous for such a shitty comic. In the first two strips (not episodes, again with the high-and-mighty vocabulary) there is nothing redeeming about them.

"Hey man, my friend and I are trying to make this comic strip, and I'm doing the art. I'm not very good, as you can see, but would like help to make myself better." probably a better approach than:

"My professional friend and myself are making a blah blah... long term plans...blah blah.. I'm really just here for advertising help."

And I think the best advice to give you regarding that would be to share your work within artist and writer communities, but until it begins to even become acceptable, don't publish it or try to "bring in readers". It's simply not going to happen.

And really dude, the logic behind "you guys can tell my friend's work is shitty means you guys probably think all cartoons are shitty" is pretty weak, mr. good at argumentation. And seriously, do you even know who Will Eisner is? Are you guys attempting to publish your own comic without that kind of insight? Or do you simply feel that you're above the advice given by who is generally referred to as the father of comics, the man responsible for even the concept of sequential art?

Also, the resume is what led me to the doubt of the term professional. Usually if someone's paid to do something in their line of work, they'll put it in their resume. Especially if that someone is young, and has nothing else in there except student work.

"you should realize a lack of technology is not responsible for your poor work, that outlook can only hinder you"

"S-s-shut up! You can't draw stick figure!"

Not a good way to approach things here or really, anywhere.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Your tone, sentence length, and overall structure make it hard to follow your train of thought.

Come see us in TWB if you want help improving your writing. Just be sure to leave the tone in the trash bin outside AC's door. :)

MKR on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You folks are unpleasant.

No one is being unkind to you because you're 'not perfect'. If you had read the rules and lurked here a little you would know that people aren't that way here. People come and post their art (no matter what skill level they are) and they receive advice on how to get better. You've been given advice. The only time that the comments may be cynical are when the poster has an attitude problem. You and your writer have an attitude problem. Also, for your information, a lot of the artists who give advice here are incredibly talented and some are professional (the actual definition, though). If you want to continue to get advice and actually improve, you will need to stop assuming that a bunch of ignorant bullies are attacking you for no reason, because that is not the current situation.

The way you are currently acting makes me wonder why you've come here? You seem to realize that you are just starting out and need to improve, but when people comment on this you simply respond as if they are hypercritical and probably incapable of producing anything better. You need to look around the forum a little and get a taste of the community.
    The funny thing about his stick figure comment is that xkcd is a popular webcomic. Stick figures:1 Afterlife comics: 0

lyrium on
  • Options
    Brandon Lee TenneyBrandon Lee Tenney Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Your tone, sentence length, and overall structure make it hard to follow your train of thought.

Come see us in TWB if you want help improving your writing. Just be sure to leave the tone in the trash bin outside AC's door. :)

I have, and I really do appreciate everyone over there. The tone in the above post is, of course, intentional. The sentence length is long, yes, but let's be honest here -- I'm not writing to be published or to be paid here! obviously, as so many have pointed out!

And posts like yours are those that I truly pay attention to. Thank you for that! :-)

Brandon Lee Tenney on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh please... youre really trying to turn this on me? Youre telling me that every ones negativity was simply because we have attitude problems? I encourage you to please read back the entire thread and notice that beyond my first post which was nothing but accepting to advice and constructive criticism I didnt even post again until this just turned into a bashing party against us. Sorry if any of you who were constructive are offended by my responses but they are directed only one place and that's to those who refuse to accept anything new... the people who tell people they suck before they tell them how to get better. If some of you really want to twist the negative comments in this thread towards my post somehow that's really something.

After Life Comics on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If you keep up that attitude, then it is just going to get more negative. If you want criticism, I would suggest you shut up and take it.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I have, and I really do appreciate everyone over there. The tone in the above post is, of course, intentional. The sentence length is long, yes, but let's be honest here -- I'm not writing to be published or to be paid here! obviously, as so many have pointed out!

And posts like yours are those that I truly pay attention to. Thank you for that! :-)

When you post here, people expect that you want them to hear you. Right now? That's not happening, and it's not because they aren't trying.

Everyone here is a stand-up dude (or dudette), and would love nothing more than to help you and your acquaintance make wonderful art. If you want help, you need to meet them halfway and put some effort into communicating clearly.

This is the third revision of this post.

MKR on