As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e]Newb DM looking to start out. (OOC)

Koopa_ParatroopaKoopa_Paratroopa Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
I have played a handful of 3.5 campaigns as various race and class combinations, that is my D&D experience. I want to be a DM, yeah I know I am being crazy. It seems like fourth edition is a good edition to try and be a DM. I will be using Keep on the Shadowfell, DMG and PHB. I am going to use the links http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptool:intro for my map tool, for my dice rolls http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ and http://www.myth-weavers.com/ can be used for character sheet generation.

I am looking for the standard five adventurers, if anyone wants to join I am looking for constructive criticism and anything else that you think will make me a better DM and help make the game more fun for all.

==Adventurers==
dscrilla playing Garret Barger, Human Fighter
delroland playing Kitei, Dragonborn Warlord
Aurelian playing Hadarai, Eldarin Wizard
Erlking playing Harbek, Dwarven Cleric
Reynolds playing Spot, Dwarven Rogue

Pearl FC: 5113 8469 2573
HG FC: 4942 0608 0811
Koopa_Paratroopa on

• Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sign me up! I'd like to roll up a cleric, but if the final party needs something else, I'm flexible.

Erlking on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hurray a PbP game!

I would like to bring my fighter back to life. He was in another PbP game that sadly died out. Its a reprise of my first AD&D PC, back when fighters were boring as hell.

EDIT: switched over to Myth-weavers & made a few changes

Garret Barger, Human Fighter
    Init +0 HP /29 Bloodied 14 Healing Surge 7 ( used /)
    AC 19 Fort 18 Reflex 13 Will 12 Speed 5
    Str 18 (+4) Con 14 (+2) Dex 10 (+0) Int 10 (+0) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 13 (+1)

A boyish, stocky (5'6") human with longish brown hair and a kind face. He is dressed in patched mail armor with a damaged horned helm. He wields unadorned weapons and an iron shield from another era.

In combat he uses unconventional moves learned fighting gangs of young toughs in lowtown. While he always fights for the good, he does fight dirty.

His many ways of whopping ass, notes and other details
    Cleave
    With a wide swipe of his weapon, Garret hits two enemies
    At-Will Martial, Weapon
    Action Melee weapon
    Targets: One creature
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and an enemy adjacent to you other than the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier. Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.

Reaping Strike
    Garret might miss with his Axe, but not with his Knee
    At-Will Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee weapon
    Target: One creature
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage.
    Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.
    Miss: Half Strength modifier damage. If you’re wielding a two-handed weapon, you deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Tide of Iron
    After a swing that takes his foe off balance, Garret rams with his shield.
    At-Will Martial, Weapon
    Requirement: You must be using a shield.
    Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you push the target 1 square if it is your size, smaller than you, or one size category larger. You can shift into the space that the target occupied.
    Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.

Steel Serpent Strike
    In a surprise move, Garret brings the haft of his weapon smashing onto his opponent's knee joint. So thats what the spike is there for.
    Encounter Martial, Weapon
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage, and the target is slowed and cannot shift until end of your next turn.

Villain’s Menace
    "You wicked big shots really bring out the worst in me"
    Daily Martial, Weapon
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls and a +4 power bonus to damage rolls against the target until the end of the encounter.
    Miss: Gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a +2 power bonus to damage rolls against the target until the end of the encounter.

Notes

Garret Barger is the young son of native peasant laborers in Fallcrest. He is well known for his strength and good nature. Even as a young boy he would take on gangs of bullies to protect a friend. Young Barger grew up believing in the power of good and his own strength. He is the favorite son of his neighborhood in the poorest part of lowtown. Now he has been conscripted by fate to defend his city and people. Barger "the bold" dons arms donated by his family and steps into the fray. More notes on Character sheet

As for advice, you should check out the other IC and OOC threads, there are a couple of really good active games here.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was in a KOTS pbp on here that never went anywhere. But I'd be willing to throw my hat in the ring for this one.

I'm thinking of making something unusual. We'll see. Since a leader and defender are already taken care of, I'm going to work on a controller.

Prolly Tiefling Wizard. Unless you'd let me roll a race from the MM?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sweet, three people have signed up so far. That means two more. Please use http://www.myth-weavers.com/ for your character sheet. Also, I might be a little slow with the rules at first so if I mess something please let me know.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tiefling it is.

Goose! on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know none of you know me, but if you let me know the time/day you are playing, I'd be interested.

We have a leader, defender, & controller. I'd be interested in playing a striker class--preferably a ranger if that fits the campaign--but I'd also be happy to play a rogue. I don't own a copy of the PHB, nor Shadowfell--let me know if it's more dungeons or more wilderness!

Thanks

streever on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll sign up for this. If we go two leaders, I'll roll warlord. Beyond that, I would prefer not to play the wizard, as I am playing one in another campaign already, so that leaves the striker role.

Edit: or defender, I guess. Paladin for healy defender or Warlord for fighty leader...

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    AurelianAurelian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks like I barely missed the last spot, but if you still need someone, I'd like to try a Warlock or Paladin.

Aurelian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The time and day doesn't really matter, as long as you post somewhat frequently. I might have to make a rule about posting, if it becomes a problem. There are four members, the fifth slot is a maybe, the sixth slot will be reserve(in case someone drops out).

Start thinking of a backstory for your character and work on the character sheet(If you haven't done so already). I will post sometime tomorrow about how the adventure will start, if anyone has a better starting idea on how to get all the characters together please let me know.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dorian Damakos, Tiefling Wizard
    Init +2 HP 21/21 Bloodied 10 Healing Surge 5 (0 used /6)
    AC 14 Fort 10 Reflex 14 Will 14 Speed 6
    Str 8 (-1) Con 11 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Int 18 (+4) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 14 (+2)

Stupid mythweavers doesn't let you change character sheet titles. Ignore Drago. I changed his last name.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I'd like in on this, but I guess it's full already?

Bogart on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Same here, I just got the PHB for my birthday. Well, I'll keep an eye out for openings.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hey,

the other people interested should take my spot! I have a hard time commiting if it's a daily thing--my cycling schedule right now has me on the road for 8 hours on various days! Also, I don't own the PHB yet, so I would probably slow things down a bit.

Thanks for running this, I'll try to get in on another one soon.

streever on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kitei, dragonborn warlord
    Init +1 HP 24/24 Bloodied 12 Healing Surge 7 (0 used /8)
    AC 17 Fort 15 Reflex 12 Will 15 Speed 5
    Str 18 (+4) Con 12 (+1) Dex 8 (-1) Int 12 (+1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 18 (+4)
    'Dragon Breath (encounter)', 'Inspiring Word (2/encounter)', 'Furious Smash (at-will)', 'Wolf Pack Tactics (at-will)', 'Guarding Attack (encounter)', 'White Raven Onslaught (daily)'

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Looks like we have a good crew for this one.
    I edited my earlier post with a mythweavers sheet and background. I made some changes since we have two leaders.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    AurelianAurelian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In the tradition of naming Tieflings after concepts, I present Schism.

Schism, Tiefling Warlock
    Init +0 HP 30/30 Bloodied 15 Healing Surge 7 ( used /10)
    AC 15 Fort 14 Reflex 14 Will 12 Speed 6
    Str 8 (-1) Con 18 (+4) Dex 11 (+0) Int 16 (+3) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 12 (+1)

A scribe and historian who has discovered the roots of his dark ancestry.
    Background to follow shortly.

Aurelian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So I guess our warlock will be tanking. :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We have a warlord and fighter, plenty of tankage for our squishy adventurers. Sorry Goose, I need to keep things within the Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook and Keep on the Shadowfell for those are the only fourth edition books I have. Unless you can figure out all the racial stuff and show it to me and I approve, basically saying it isn't too over powered.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We have a warlord and fighter, plenty of tankage for our squishy adventurers.

Yeah, I was just commenting on how our warlock has more hitpoints than the fighter. :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Smart ass.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, it is tough to get in a game here.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it is. Well if I start getting close to the top of the list, I'll sit down and make a character.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Per the OP, the first person to post a character gets the last spot. We have a defender, controller, striker, and leader already, so you can pretty much roll whatever you want.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, I thought it meant the next person in line was moving up to the last slot. Let me see what I can do.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    First time using Myth-Weavers, let's see if this works:

Harbek, Dwarf Cleric
    Init -1 HP 27/27 Bloodied 13 Healing Surge 6 (0 used /9)
    AC 16 Fort 12 Reflex 10 Will 16 Speed 5
    Str 14 (+2) Con 15 (+2) Dex 8 (-1) Int 10 (+0) Wis 18 (+4) Cha 14 (+2)
    'Lance of Faith (At Will)', 'Sacred Flame (At Will)', 'Healing Strike (Encounter)', 'Beacon of Hope (Daily)', 'Healing Word', 'Channel Divinity'

EDIT: Well almost, there.
    EDIT2: Fixed
    EDIT3: Thanks delroland!

Erlking on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You need to make the sheet public.

Also, your Reflex Defense should be a 10, and you forgot to include the class defense bonuses for cleric. Your AC should be 16, as you are not proficient in shields (unless you took light shield or scale armor proficiency).

What god do you worship, btw?

Edit: you should also have 26hp (bloodied 13) and a healing surge value of 6. And a speed of 5 (dwarves don't suffer speed penalties for wearing armor).

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yea, definitely! I mean, I don't really want to, but my schedule is way too booked right now. I'm sorry, I feel badly! I will miss it, but I'll try to sign up for another one down the road. Thanks for asking :)!

streever on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I wasn't having much luck. I wanted to make a Strength based throwing Ranger, but apparently none of their powers work with that. So I hadn't gotten further than stats and skills. Oh well.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I wasn't having much luck. I wanted to make a Strength based throwing Ranger, but apparently none of their powers work with that. So I hadn't gotten further than stats and skills. Oh well.

Rogue makes a better throwing weapon build, as they use shuriken, and with the damage die bump rogues get, it is the best throwing weapon in the game. Plus several of their throwing weapon powers kick much ass. Still Dex based, though (but you get Str to sneak attacks if you use the Str build).

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I suppose so. But it's odd that they put in something like Heavy Thrown, but I don't see any powers you could actually use that type of weapon with.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I suppose so. But it's odd that they put in something like Heavy Thrown, but I don't see any powers you could actually use that type of weapon with.

I'd say its more a fighter's object.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I hate to be the jerk, he hates these cans why does he hate these cans, anywho looks like Erlking is the fifth adventurer with a dwarven cleric only thing missing is a public character sheet so I and everyone else can make sure nothing if fubbed up. Please don't take this personal it just makes it easier for me to be an effective DM. To everyone who didn't make the final cut, I might enjoy being DM enough to make another game after this one, so be on the look out for it.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh whoops, constitution score, not modifier. Here, it's public now, and I'm fixing stuff as I find it.

Erlking on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You should use a warhammer instead of a mace. It's a racial proficiency and does more damage (and it's kind of the symbol of your god :P). You also have the Ritual Casting feat as a bonus, along with a ritual book containing Gentle Repose and one other first level ritual of your choice. Also, check the "Armor is Heavy" box next to your armor stats.

As a suggestion, I would recommend dropping your DEX to 8 and raising your STR to 14, dumping the last point into CON for the extra hitpoint. STR is a very important stat for clerics, as many of their strikes (Healing Strike included) are based off STR. DEX on the other hand only improves your initiative, and going first is not really an advantage for Leaders.

Also, don't forget to include your proficiency bonus with weapons for your basic attacks and any power with the Weapon tag. You should also buy a couple of javelins in case you ever need to make a basic ranged attack.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm looking forward to battlin evil with you Erlking! Barger has good armor but is even better at drawing aggro :-)

One thing dwarven players often forget is that their resilience lets them spend a heal surge as a minor action (so you can save your heals for me!)

I agree with Delroland about couple of heavy throw ranged weapons, but I recommend throwing hammers, javelins are kind of large.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ah, ritual components instead of javelins. That's cool. Just a couple more minor tweaks:

- You have one more stat point. CON is a good choice for the extra hitpoint (CON is 12+2=14 right now, so 15 is only one more stat point).

- The warhammer should be +4 to hit, 1d10+3 damage (as it is versatile and you don't have an off-hand item).

- You left out your Healing Word and Channel Divinity class powers.

Everything else looks cool to me.

Oh, and technically components aren't linked to specific rituals. This doesn't matter now, as you have only two rituals and they use different components anyways, but in the future when you have more rituals, you don't have to specify materials to each ritual, but rather only to the skill linked to the ritual. For example, right now you technically have 10g worth of Alchemical Reagents (for Arcana rituals) and 10g worth of Mystic Salves (for Heal rituals).

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »
    I agree with Delroland about couple of heavy throw ranged weapons, but I recommend throwing hammers, javelins are kind of large.

Javelins have a better range, though. Really, the only thing going for throwing hammers is that they are off-hand, which is not all that useful for clerics. Though I guess they are cooler thematically.

Moot anyways, as he is buying ritual components instead.

Edit: and he does have some ranged capability with his at-wills.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Heck Lace of faith is probably better tactically,thematically, and financially8-)

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay, there we go. I'm slowly but surely getting back in the right mindset for this stuff. Thanks!

Erlking on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So we got a couple of devilborn mages, a dragon[STRIKE]man[/STRIKE]chick war leader, dwarf priest, and human peasant with an axe. How did we meet?

dscrilla on