As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil 4

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got to a spot on the island when a friend informed me that I missed the infrared scope or whatever it was. Wasted all my ammo on those scary guys and never got to finish it.

BTW this game for the Gamecube is 100 pts (free) on Goozex for those of you who have that.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to miss the scope - the guy that has the key doesn't spawn until you pick up the scope.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to miss the scope - the guy that has the key doesn't spawn until you pick up the scope.

The guy that spawns when you get the scope doesn't have the key. The spikey one later has it.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh yeah, you get locked in the freezer and have to kill the guy to get out. but I thought the guy didn't get up until you picked up the scope.
    You have to go into the freezer to upgrade the key card.

iirc, there's even some sniper ammo in there - so getting there empty handed still wouldn't be an issue

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh yeah, you get locked in the freezer and have to kill the guy to get out. but I thought the guy didn't get up until you picked up the scope.
    You have to go into the freezer to upgrade the key card.

You need to go into the freezer to change the keycard. Inside the freezer there's another switch that'll turn off the cooling and allow you to access the scope (but wil thaw one of the regenerators). The door only locks when this happens IIRC.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    stigweard wrote: »

The guy that spawns when you get the scope doesn't have the key. The spikey one later has it.

Thing is, how do you get the keycard without killing him? If you don't have the scope then I don't see how you'd even get it off him in the first place.

subedii on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »

Thing is, how do you get the keycard without killing him? If you don't have the scope then I don't see how you'd even get it off him in the first place.

Lots, and lots of ammo, or an rpg will do the trick. IIRC, he is the only one you need to kill as you can trap or run around the rest.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    lots of shotgun spam/a couple grenades can take down a regenerator.

but still, you'd have to ignore the documents pretty much explicitly telling you to get a thermal scope AND the fairly obvious big glass door with something behind it to miss it

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    lots of shotgun spam/a couple grenades can take down a regenerator.

but still, you'd have to ignore the documents pretty much explicitly telling you to get a thermal scope AND the fairly obvious big glass door with something behind it to miss it

Well the glass door is fairly easy to miss out on, since it's pretty obvious that one of (or possibly ALL of) the regenerators is going to thaw out as soon as you cut the cooling. Combine that with the fact that you don't even know what you'd be putting yourself at risk for and I can see why some people might avoid doing that.

subedii on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    postenl wrote: »
    So I've beaten assignment ada but I don't see the chicago typewriter on the merchant, am I missing something?

In the PS2 and Wii versions, Assignment Ada unlocks the CT in Separate Ways, and Separate Ways unlocks the CT in the main game. In the Cube version, beating AA unlocks the CT in the main game.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Stupid me not bringing all my games home on holidays. I thought, "Just my PC, that'll be enough". Then you had to go and make a thread about RE4. Then 1UPFM had to talk about Shadow of the Colossus. Oh well at least there's a Mass Effect thread as well.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Stupid me not bringing all my games home on holidays. I thought, "Just my PC, that'll be enough". Then you had to go and make a thread about RE4.

*AHEM*

OK sure, it's extra work to get started, but it's worth it, trust me.

subedii on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    But i think the blacktail is small and sexy. Very tactical looking.
    The Red9 is like an antique midget rifle.

Naw the red9 is classy

Especially when it's bustin' heads

Way faster than the Blacktail does

China knows how to make awesome doom guns.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I never replace the bolt action rifle and never upgrade its reloading speed. I just love the reloading animation on it too much to speed it up.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    postenlpostenl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gtrmp wrote: »
    So I've beaten assignment ada but I don't see the chicago typewriter on the merchant, am I missing something?

In the PS2 and Wii versions, Assignment Ada unlocks the CT in Separate Ways, and Separate Ways unlocks the CT in the main game. In the Cube version, beating AA unlocks the CT in the main game.

Ah.. that explains it, I was looking at the GC info.. I just assumed it would be the same for the wii. Thanks!

postenl on
    Wii Code: 2868 1567 5951 7748
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Ah.. that explains it, I was looking at the GC info.. I just assumed it would be the same for the wii. Thanks!

The CT is like, too powerful. You just mow down everything, bosses fall in seconds. There should have been an unlockable "Chicago Typewriter Insanity" mode. You get to the village, and there's so many villagers and chainsaw dudes that it looks like a fucking mosh pit. Then you open fire...

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The CT is like, too powerful. You just mow down everything, bosses fall in seconds. There should have been an unlockable "Chicago Typewriter Insanity" mode. You get to the village, and there's so many villagers and chainsaw dudes that it looks like a fucking mosh pit. Then you open fire...

Wouldn't have really been possible on last-gen's consoles.

subedii on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yeah, it's not as fun when each bullet is like a shot from the Broken Butterfly. I want my enemies to stand there and convulse a bit as I pump them full of lead!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah, it's not as fun when each bullet is like a shot from the Broken Butterfly. I want my enemies to stand there and convulse a bit as I pump them full of lead!

Isn't that largely what the TMP is for?

Sounds like everyone just wants a TMP with infinite ammo

subedii on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Hell I'd take that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Hell I'd take that.

I used to juggle the wolves with the TMP. Wait until they jump then shoot. Bastards stay up there for 30 seconds.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, so the Striker is much better than the Riot Gun. I used the RG for a majority of my first game, tried the Striker but didn't like it, then I used it in a New Game+ and rocked some faces.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Striker is pretty much a no-brainer update, man.

Also, regenarators aren't really that scary if you stockpiled grenades like a crazy man. Not the second time, at least.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Which is somewhat unfortunate, as the Striker is the least badass looking of all the shotguns.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Regenerators were never scary, even without the scope. Didn't have any ammo afterwards, but it's not difficult.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seeing them flop towards you was pretty awesome though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Oh for sure, I love Regenerators and Iron Maidens. But people talked about how terrifying it was to encounter one the first time. Maybe because I expected it I wasn't scared.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NomadNomad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Oh for sure, I love Regenerators and Iron Maidens. But people talked about how terrifying it was to encounter one the first time. Maybe because I expected it I wasn't scared.

I don't think it was necessarily the encounter itself that was scary, but the moment before you see them. You hear the breathing long before you see them, but don't know where it is.

Nomad on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nomad wrote: »

I don't think it was necessarily the encounter itself that was scary, but the moment before you see them. You hear the breathing long before you see them, but don't know where it is.

Exactly, that short, hissy breathing was enough to make me terrified whenever one of those things were near. Even with the CT I still pumped god knows how many rounds into their dust.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nomad wrote: »

Exactly, that short, hissy breathing was enough to make me terrified whenever one of those things were near. Even with the CT I still pumped god knows how many rounds into their dust.

Oh boy, me too. No matter how heavily armed I am, I still approach every one of them with the timidity of a schoolgirl, all because of that damned breathing.

Once you get past the breathing, me, I'm still terrified by their giant grin, lifeless red eyes, staggering gait, long arms (the better to grab you with), and the way it's implied that the Regenerators were once human. It seems many other monsters were first human, too, but there's something about the Regenerators that doesn't sit well with me in the "it's-vaguely-human-yet-also-very-unhuman" type of way. Probably their rattling breath is the part that makes them too human, and thus the creepiest things of my nightmares. (First Redeads from Ocarina of Time, now Regenerators...If someone made a horror movie featuring these things and I was forced to watch it...I would probably be found curled up under my bed with my unblinking eyes glazed over.)

mogdemon on
    apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the thing that always scares me about regenerators is that they move slow enought to be terminator menacing but fast enough to be at the end of your rifle because you have to use a sniper rifle to shoot him at point blank oh jesus

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Regenerators are awesome.

Who didn't have a "Hah, I just blew off their lower half! Look how funny he is, just warbling around..." moment?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was careful to locate Regenerators by sound, so they never caught me by complete surprise (they might show up around the corner when I thought they were further back). It becomes rather easy to locate all enemies by sound by the time you fight Regenerators.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, so the Striker is much better than the Riot Gun. I used the RG for a majority of my first game, tried the Striker but didn't like it, then I used it in a New Game+ and rocked some faces.

The default shotgun, fully upgraded, is the best shotgun for one reason: sniper shotgun.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The default shotgun, fully upgraded, is the best shotgun for one reason: sniper shotgun.

It's a lot more fun to charge a mob of Ganados with the Striker, fire off three or four rounds and kill every single one. That bridge/valley section in 1-2 is awesome for this.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Who didn't have a "Hah, I just blew off their lower half! Look how funny he is, just warbling around..." moment?

Yeah, until it flopped up to you at incredible speed and chewed on your face

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yeah, until it flopped up to you at incredible speed and chewed on your face

I actually had an "It's okay, this Iron Maiden is like 6 feet away from me-OH-MY-GOD-BEAR-HUG-WITH-THE-SPIKES-THEY-ARE-POKING-THROUGH-ME!!!!!!"

I am pretty sure it freaked me out more because I somehow didnt actually die after that. I had a sliver of health left even though I just stood there with my mouth agape.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So hey. Playing RE4 Wii for the first time. I played RE4 GC 4 or so times before.

Is it just me or is this version a little more difficult?

Controls are fucking hot as hell by the way. This is the way the game is supposed to play.

Renzo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RE4 is really hard at first, but you get used to it. I thought RE4:Wii was really easy compared to the GCN version, but only because shooting heads was easier.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    So hey. Playing RE4 Wii for the first time. I played RE4 GC 4 or so times before.

Is it just me or is this version a little more difficult?

Controls are fucking hot as hell by the way. This is the way the game is supposed to play.

According to what others said, there are more enemies around and fewer drops compared to the GC version.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772